January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

26 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We needed wingers yes, but really, for a new manager coming in to a team that has hardly kept a clean sheet in 2 and a half years? Start with new wingers? We’ve unfortunately been sleepwalking in our management of the back 4 to the point where we now find ourselves with Berra-Halkett as the first choice partnership and now everyone bricking it because Popescu has to play. We’ve not moved from square 1. 

I don’t disagree about the importance of getting another midfielder in. You can have a look at my posts I’ve been advocating for a switch to 3 Center mids just yesterday, absolutely we need to protect this back 4, and we will need to do that when bedding in a new defender as well, so yes it is a priority. Haring behind both Irving and Halliday for me tomorrow night. 

But the reason we need to protect them, is because they are duff Center halves that get rings run round them. What you need is good Center halves. 

As I’ve said above, we are in a situation where Berra-Halkett is the first choice Center back pairing at this moment in time. It should not have been the case. CB should have been a priority for this window as well but it seems we’re only looking now that captain fantastic has got injured and the defensive form hasn’t been great (did nobody look at the last 2 years of form). Meanwhile we’ve been moving mountains to get a CF signed. When our own Center forward has 9 goals in 11 games! And our other 3 forwards Walker, Wighton, Naismith all have 4-5 goals each! Why is the forward area the priority, there’s plenty goals, get a Center half in NOW and ****ing tell Berra he’s free to go, won’t be involved in the first team moving forwards. 

Unfortunately, we all know Neilson is no chance going to do it. There’s more chance of him extending Berra’s deal than emptying him. 

Yeah don't disagree with anything here dude.

I'd like a new CF, and if we really want Adebayo and this is the chance to get him, brilliant, lets scoop him up, but I definitely find it weird that CH and CM are not our priorities.

I just don't get Halliday.  I tend not to be negative on here, especially about individuals (other than Steven MacLean, who had me at i8 levels of hatred!), but I've been saying basically since day 1 of the season that I just don't see the point of him.  He'll kick a couple of people in a derby or against the OF.  What else does he do?  I would honestly rather Damour or Cochrane were used this season.  Why not?  We're paying them anyway.

I get your point re 3 CMs, but when we do this, we're really shit at getting up near our CF.  Always happens.  Other teams play a 433 or 4321, 4321 etc and it can be attacking.  Ours ALWAYS plays more like a 451.  I also want GMS and Ginnelly both on the park, so not sure how that works. I guess a 433 with them both wide up top, but the midfielders would simply need to get in beside the CF.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley

Haring Irving

Naismith*

Gino Boyce GMS

*or Walker

Looks OK, but that's more or less what we've been playing, so are you saying more of a:

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley

Haring

Irving Halliday

Gino Boyce GMS

No bad too, but I'd be taking Halliday out for Walker or Naismith.  (or McGill, Cochrane, Damour, C Smith: as I say, just don't see why we signed the guy).  Not saying any of them are our saviours, but I don't see us being worse with them in the team.

What I like about your team is that the FBs will get high up the park and Haring can cover them.  The winger on the other side can come in and get to theback post too.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

46 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Meanwhile we’ve been moving mountains to get a CF signed. When our own Center forward has 9 goals in 11 games! And our other 3 forwards Walker, Wighton, Naismith all have 4-5 goals each! Why is the forward area the priority, there’s plenty goals, get a Center half in NOW and ****ing tell Berra he’s free to go, won’t be involved in the first team moving forwards. 

Agree there's plenty of goals in the team. Wighton has 7, Naismith has 5 and Walker has 4 and Kingsley also has 4.  

22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Halkett is a poor defender.. Declan Gallagher was the real talent at livi . We signed the wrong one 

It seems like that was the case. Quite disappointing we didn't recognise this and signed Halkett.

Just now, BarneyBattles said:

A lot of good points but rather than build from the back. I'd prefer to see a strong spine first. Think about all the good teams we've had 1998. 2006 etc. All of them were strong right down the middle. Rousset/Ritchie/McPherson/Cameron/Adam - Gordon/Elvis/Webster/Hartley/Jankauskas/Bednar.

Apart from Gordon we are incredibly weak in central defence, midfield and up front.

Agree, other than up front.  Boyce is a good CF.  Perhaps not shown it massively as yet for us.  I think we'll be very happy with him in time.  He's in that "spine" type of bracket.  You'd hope Naismith would be too, but we just don't seem to know where to play him and his form has not been good.

4 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Really like Boyce but while a good finisher I don't think he's particularly strong. I've given up on Naismith to be honest. 

Yeah, I do wonder about Naismith.... Hhmmm

Boyce, I think is pretty strong.  Get the ball in to his feet, he protects it well, rarely gives it up.  As I've alluded to, we need people near our CF for any form of strength to matter a jot though!

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Jamboj1 said:

Evening news now reporting about wanting a defender 👍🏻

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-target-defender-one-three-new-signings-3111580

Right back as a replacement to Brandon. Though if they dont get one they may recall Cammy Logan (though they rather not as they want him to get game time and if he stays he may only get a couple of games.)

32 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Halkett is a poor defender.. Declan Gallagher was the real talent at livi . We signed the wrong one 

Gallagher is the better defender but would Budge sanction the signing of a guy with a criminal record for serious assault, I have my doubts. Just the type of defender we need.

17 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Really like Boyce but while a good finisher I don't think he's particularly strong. I've given up on Naismith to be honest. 

I love Naismith's wholehearted commitment but I think he's not cut out to play the number 10.  I wouldn't have Boyce and Naismith in the same team TBH but instead they should be cover for each other in striking role of which Boyce would be first pick.  

3 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I love Naismith's wholehearted commitment but I think he's not cut out to play the number 10.  I wouldn't have Boyce and Naismith in the same team TBH but instead they should be cover for each other in striking role of which Boyce would be first pick.  

Disagree...Both were brilliant together in the cup semi and final. 

3 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I've said for years (previously re Scotland) that Naismith is first and foremost a striker. A number 9. He's great at it and his best performances throughout his career have been there.

JJ and BB who know him well both think similar. You play him up top.

My feeling is HE wants to play deeper and has done for years. I'd much rather he was up top driving CHs mental.

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-target-defender-one-three-new-signings-3111580

Right back as a replacement to Brandon. Though if they dont get one they may recall Cammy Logan (though they rather not as they want him to get game time and if he stays he may only get a couple of games.)

Frightening really, unless we plan on moving Smith to CB 

The_razors_edge
27 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

A lot of good points but rather than build from the back. I'd prefer to see a strong spine first. Think about all the good teams we've had 1998. 2006 etc. All of them were strong right down the middle. Rousset/Ritchie/McPherson/Cameron/Adam - Gordon/Elvis/Webster/Hartley/Jankauskas/Bednar.

Apart from Gordon we are incredibly weak in central defence, midfield and up front.

:spoton:

I coach kids/youth football and follow the same strategy. If the spine of the team is weak (like the human body essentially) then everything else falls apart around it. 

I look at the current squad and ask myself this - are there any players within the group I would be genuinely gutted to lose? Like a Robbo, Cameron, Hartley or Skacel when they left. The only one I could genuinely say yes to would be Gordon. The rest could leave tomorrow and I wouldn’t bat an eyelid. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

A back up right back. 🤣

He's no serious, surely?

:vrface:

Absolutely shocking. 

We need a better centre back than what we have. We have the best GK outside the OF, the best RB & LB outside the OF yet the 5th worst defence in the Championship... 

The problem is the centre backs. Halkett isn't good enough and Berra is finished. 

If we can't get who we want for the right side, I'd be tempted to bring Cammy Logan back to fill in at RB for the rest of the season and play Smith in at CB. Its not ideal, but Halkett seems to be part of the problem and we need rid asap. Gallacher would be a good idea, but no danger is he dropping out the top flight whilst the Euros are still on. 

15 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Evening news now reporting about wanting a defender 👍🏻

Thank **** for that 😅

Just now, TheBigO said:

I've said for years (previously re Scotland) that Naismith is first and foremost a striker. A number 9. He's great at it and his best performances throughout his career have been there.

JJ and BB who know him well both think similar. You play him up top.

My feeling is HE wants to play deeper and has done for years. I'd much rather he was up top driving CHs mental.

100% I am getting frustrated by his ineffectiveness when he plays deep.  We are better with Walker at 10 instead even though his form is erratic.  

Feel for Brandon. You've got to assume that his career has peaked considering that's the 2nd time his cruciate has gone at 23. 

Hoping what's actually happening is that we're signing Stephen O'Donnell and moving Smith to CB or DM. 

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'm not sure you're correct.  Neilson, and many people on here agreed with him, thought wingers were the No 1 priority and he addressed that by signing 2 plus another on loan.  Unfortunately the two full signings have turned out to be well short of the standard required and no better than we already had.

Can we trust him to do any better with central defenders.  Let's hope for a Savage influence.

This is in no way a dig at savage. I'm happy to see what he offers over a few transfer windows.

But JS said himself in interview he has been working with Robbie since he accepted the job in December.

Roberts and to a lesser extent frear feel like very much savage influenced signings (lower league England etc)

So while he won't get everyone right I'm not sure we can pin those two on just Robbie. 

Another journeyman, stop-gap solution who we'll need to 'clear out' in another transfer window just for the sake of it. While another youth prospect (Logan) doesn't get a chance. What an absolute dire state of affairs our transfer policy is

3 minutes ago, JamboJoker98 said:

Another journeyman, stop-gap solution who we'll need to 'clear out' in another transfer window just for the sake of it. While another youth prospect (Logan) doesn't get a chance. What an absolute dire state of affairs our transfer policy is

Did you read the article? Part of the reason to bring in a back up RB is to give Logan a chance to get game time. 

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Absolutely shocking. 

We need a better centre back than what we have. We have the best GK outside the OF, the best RB & LB outside the OF yet the 5th worst defence in the Championship... 

The problem is the centre backs. Halkett isn't good enough and Berra is finished. 

If we can't get who we want for the right side, I'd be tempted to bring Cammy Logan back to fill in at RB for the rest of the season and play Smith in at CB. Its not ideal, but Halkett seems to be part of the problem and we need rid asap. Gallacher would be a good idea, but no danger is he dropping out the top flight whilst the Euros are still on. 

Agree entirely.

Bring back Cammy Logan and sign a Centerhalf. It's not rocket science. 

He could bring back Hamilton, Cochrane and Connor Smith while he is at it. Otherwise, why are we even bothering with the Academy? 

Mind he talked about his reason for coming here was because the squad was so good. :rofl: 

He's full of shit. 

12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Feel for Brandon. You've got to assume that his career has peaked considering that's the 2nd time his cruciate has gone at 23. 

Hoping what's actually happening is that we're signing Stephen O'Donnell and moving Smith to CB or DM. 

I'd be happy with O'Donnell.

Speaking of which, is he not meant to be out of contract this month?

lost in space
1 minute ago, JamboJoker98 said:

Correct.

We have a problem now at cover for RB + and we have a young prospect at RB who may not get a game on loan because of Covid.

I wonder how we could solve these 2 problems?????????????

So we will bring in some crap alternate RB instead of a badly needed CB!!!

Neilson has not got a clue.

Savage will be looking for what Neilson has asked him for.

Do we have nobody at the club who can question Neilson on his stupid actions?

46 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It seems like that was the case. Quite disappointing we didn't recognise this and signed Halkett.

I don’t recall many complaints when we signed Halkett. Not aimed at you but seems like 20/20 hindsight vision is the order of the day after a defeat. 

1 minute ago, Rui_1988 said:

Did you read the article? Part of the reason to bring in a back up RB is to give Logan a chance to get game time. 

I did yes, and he also says he wont know if Logan will even get a game while on loan due to the league suspension. It's just dissapointing that essentially we are putting time, effort and money into signing a backup for Smith, who may never even get a game, when there are other glaring weaknesses we need solved in the starting positions. It's a continuation of constant revolving door signings

16 minutes ago, OTT said:

Absolutely shocking. 

Problem with that is that Logan hasn’t played a competitive match for 11 months due to shutdown. 

15 minutes ago, OTT said:

Absolutely shocking. 

Embarrassing after the amount of money spent over the last two seasons, we find ourselves three players short to compete in the Scottish Championship. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Agree entirely.

Bring back Cammy Logan and sign a Centerhalf. It's not rocket science. 

He could bring back Hamilton, Cochrane and Connor Smith while he is at it. Otherwise, why are we even bothering with the Academy? 

Mind he talked about his reason for coming here was because the squad was so good. :rofl: 

He's full of shit. 

Long term they may prove not good enough but all of the above at least have a chance of making it.

This season would seem like the ideal opportunity to bring them through. With experienced heads like Smith, naisy and Gordon around.

All of the above would certainly do no worse than some of the imposters in squad. Could've been the making of them.

4 minutes ago, Rui_1988 said:

Hope it's a loan or 6mth deal (tho that's unlikely/rare). I'd get that. Very stopgap, perhaps the player can do well and win a contract. Let's Logan get his experience. Similar to having Stewart in on loan as GK backup.

Adam_the_legend
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You build from the back. Fact is, Center half should have been Neilsons priority since the day he joined the club. That position is at the heart of ALL our problems, all the rot, it all comes from who has been playing there. Both last season and this season. 

I think it’s one of the real deeper reasons some fans do wish Stendel had been kept. We would not have Berra, Halkett or Popescu in this team. Getting 2 new starting Center halves would have been the first thing Stendel would’ve looked to do in summer, top thing on his list. He had already cleared Berra out. You’ll not find one Hearts fan anywhere that didn’t 100% agree with that decision. 

But Neilson was blind to it, he thought we had plenty there, he thought we had “a Premiership squad” because he looked on paper at Berra and Halkett and thought - they’re definitely good enough to keep the door shut at this level. I’ll just get some cheap backup Popescu. Dead Wrong.

The money that’s been spent on Frear and Roberts, should have gone on a first choice central defender. Them 2 were a complete waste of money, neither has offered nothing more than Moore / Henderson would have (yes I know neither of them are good enough long term either, but that’s not the point I’m making, I’m talking about where the money should have been spent). 

Center half / wrong priorities, has been the major blunder of Neilsons tenure so far. Its sad because we’ve been banging in 3 goals per game average. If he’d got CB right the fans would be loving this season. Instead, we’re looking over the shoulder because we still can’t beat sides like Raith, Dundee, Dunfermline, just like Hamilton, St Mirren due to our still unaddressed soft underbelly. 

And yes we need a CM as well but Center half is the big one, it’s make or break for Neilson. 

:spoton:

13 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

This is in no way a dig at savage. I'm happy to see what he offers over a few transfer windows.

But JS said himself in interview he has been working with Robbie since he accepted the job in December.

Roberts and to a lesser extent frear feel like very much savage influenced signings (lower league England etc)

So while he won't get everyone right I'm not sure we can pin those two on just Robbie. 

Roberts and Frear were signed in the summer before Savage was in the job. Both had played in Scotland before so would’ve been known to Neilson. Don’t think Savage can take any responsibility for those two

1 minute ago, jambo_No5 said:

Roberts and Frear were signed in the summer before Savage was in the job. Both had played in Scotland before so would’ve been known to Neilson. Don’t think Savage can take any responsibility for those two

Remember when Savage signed Brian Hamilton for us! Boooooo. Savage oot!!

Berra than you
6 minutes ago, jambo_No5 said:

Exactly. Frear was also on trial with Robbie at United before he went to Forest Green Rovers. So clearly a Robbie signing.

40 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Gallagher is the better defender but would Budge sanction the signing of a guy with a criminal record for serious assault, I have my doubts. Just the type of defender we need.

She authorised CL's signings and a lot of those were criminal.

For those of the older generation, back in the 60's Third Lanark had a very good side. They had a terrific forward line, scored a barrowload of goals, yet never one a thing. The reason was that their defence was as bad as the forwards were good. All good/great sides have had 2 dominating central defenders. You then build your team around that with a good keeper behind ( that we have ). You do not build a team around attacking players. And before anyone says it, Barcelona were the exception. 

Just now, Dazo said:

I don’t recall many complaints when we signed Halkett. Not aimed at you but seems like 20/20 hindsight vision is the order of the day after a defeat. 

When Halkett signed i thought he would be playing in a more defensive midfield role, or at the very least, the middle of a back three. He was always better at Livingston because he would link up with midfielders and, as an ex-striker, handy to have around at corners and free kicks. He never has been an out-and-out central defender so why we persist with it when we could've gone out and signed a proper central defender instead of two wingers in Frear and Roberts i'll never know.

23 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Long term they may prove not good enough but all of the above at least have a chance of making it.

This season would seem like the ideal opportunity to bring them through. With experienced heads like Smith, naisy and Gordon around.

All of the above would certainly do no worse than some of the imposters in squad. Could've been the making of them.

They might not be good enough but as you say, this year was the year to give them an opportunity. 

Just now, David Black said:

For those of the older generation, back in the 60's Third Lanark had a very good side. They had a terrific forward line, scored a barrowload of goals, yet never one a thing. The reason was that their defence was as bad as the forwards were good. All good/great sides have had 2 dominating central defenders. You then build your team around that with a good keeper behind ( that we have ). You do not build a team around attacking players. And before anyone says it, Barcelona were the exception. 

I wasn't around in those days but i agree with what you're saying. I started going to football in the early 80s and the two best clubs in Scotland were Aberdeen with McLeish and Miller and Dundee Utd with Hegarty and Narey. We weren't too shabby ourselves with Levein and McPherson a little further on in that decade. Celtic and Rangers defenders were okay but they got away with more attack-minded teams with the likes of McCoist, Hateley, McAvennie, Coyne etc. We did this as well with Colquhoun, Robertson, Clark. 

If you have the spine of the team right you can get away with mixing it up in midfield and out wide. Two central defenders are badly needed at Hearts right now, the rest of the team will take care of itself. I mean...back up right-back!? There are other priorities for me.

Gordon Ramsay

A back up right back would be nice, Robbie. 

Problem is we have 3 crap centre backs to choose from just now. Surely this is a more pressing matter?! 

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We needed wingers yes, but really, for a new manager coming in to a team that has hardly kept a clean sheet in 2 and a half years? Start with new wingers? We’ve unfortunately been sleepwalking in our management of the back 4 to the point where we now find ourselves with Berra-Halkett as the first choice partnership and now everyone bricking it because Popescu has to play. We’ve not moved from square 1. 

I don’t disagree about the importance of getting another midfielder in. You can have a look at my posts I’ve been advocating for a switch to 3 Center mids just yesterday, absolutely we need to protect this back 4, and we will need to do that when bedding in a new defender as well, so yes it is a priority. Haring behind both Irving and Halliday for me tomorrow night. 

But the reason we need to protect them, is because they are duff Center halves that get rings run round them. What you need is good Center halves. 

As I’ve said above, we are in a situation where Berra-Halkett is the first choice Center back pairing at this moment in time. It should not have been the case. CB should have been a priority for this window as well but it seems we’re only looking now that captain fantastic has got injured and the defensive form hasn’t been great (did nobody look at the last 2 years of form). Meanwhile we’ve been moving mountains to get a CF signed. When our own Center forward has 9 goals in 11 games! And our other 3 forwards Walker, Wighton, Naismith all have 4-5 goals each! Why is the forward area the priority, there’s plenty goals, get a Center half in NOW and ****ing tell Berra he’s free to go, won’t be involved in the first team moving forwards. 

Unfortunately, we all know Neilson is no chance going to do it. There’s more chance of him extending Berra’s deal than emptying him. 

If  Berra’s contract is extended I’ll give £100 to any charity of your choice. 

Just now, Gordon Ramsay said:

A back up right back would be nice, Robbie. 

Problem is we have 3 crap centre backs to choose from just now. Surely this is a more pressing matter?! 

Yip. It's as clear as daylight to anyone who watched us, right-back is not a priority. I've been saying this about central defence since the season started. His obsession with defensive midfielders is mind-boggling. It's like he expects them to be auxiliary defenders and at the same time be creative attackers and link up upfront. Can't have it both ways. Need a defender? Okay, go and get one. Need a striker? Fine,go and get one. Need extra wingers? No, but signs some anyway. There's enough players at the club for defensive midfield duties to choose from but it's more than likely yet another one could arrive. Team balance has been a serious problem for the last 4 years and it still continues. Too many of one type and not enough other types. If the issues aren't resolved very quickly we'll struggle IF we get back into the Premier.

If we sign a RB who cannot also play central defence, then that is yet another worry about the RN's thinking.

Who's going to join as backup right back for six months? Don't spunk unnecessary cash on another squad player when we can recall Cammy Logan for nothing.

Spunk some cash on O'Donnell and use Smith's composure where it's needed, in the centre.

Gordon

O'Donnell

Smith

Halkett

Kingsley

Haring

Irving

Ginnelly

Naismith

GMS

Boyce 

Or

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Popescu

O'Donnell

Haring

Irving

Kingsley

Ginnelly

Boyce

GMS

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

You think Savage picked Frear and Roberts? The two guys that were on trial and he was interested in for Dundee Utd before he came back? They signed for us three months before Savage quit his old job ffs. 
Back Neilson all you want but that’s laughable. 

Edited by Pasquale for King
More info

13 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I wasn't around in those days but i agree with what you're saying. I started going to football in the early 80s and the two best clubs in Scotland were Aberdeen with McLeish and Miller and Dundee Utd with Hegarty and Narey. We weren't too shabby ourselves with Levein and McPherson a little further on in that decade. Celtic and Rangers defenders were okay but they got away with more attack-minded teams with the likes of McCoist, Hateley, McAvennie, Coyne etc. We did this as well with Colquhoun, Robertson, Clark. 

If you have the spine of the team right you can get away with mixing it up in midfield and out wide. Two central defenders are badly needed at Hearts right now, the rest of the team will take care of itself. I mean...back up right-back!? There are other priorities for me.

When we had Colquhoun,Clark and Robbo we also had Levein and Jardine in central defence with Neil Berry providing the cover. All good teams are built from the back, we are built from the front.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )