January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Bottom half of the Premiership is certainly no better than League 1. Killie, Hamilton, County, Well, St J and St Mirren would be pretty at home in that league.

Won't deny we have some diddy teams up here but it's the age old English view of Scottish football that annoys me. I'd argue a couple of those teams wouldnt look.out of place in the English Championship (lower end right enough)

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

13 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

They seem very nice and very sensible compared to the JKB punters :rofl:

Knocked back our approach according to one post

Morgaro Gomis

The whole Scottish football to English football comparison in terms of levels etc is a nonsense due to the disparity in cash, even at that level compared to us, in my opinion. 

Ainsley Harriott
9 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

I take issue with the two who equate the SPL to League 1 tho... 😤

To be fair you couldn't equate SPL to the championship or EPL?

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

It is around about the same as the English championship imo. 

Watch a fair few games in that league. The standard is massively over hyped. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

The whole Scottish football to English football comparison in terms of levels etc is a nonsense due to the disparity in cash, even at that level compared to us, in my opinion. 

Also, no offence to English football fans in general but most of their opinions on Scottish football come from a position of almost complete ignorance. Not meant as an insult, I lived down there. Coverage is non-existent. You have to proactively look for info about what's happening up here (in general, not just football). By contrast, most of us have watched much more English football at different levels than they have watched Scottish football, so although we're still pretty ignorant about the lower leagues the average football fan up here is a lot more knowledgeable about the game down there.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers, us and Hibs are all definite Championship level.

3 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

How not? The main difference between the leagues is money. Watched Man Utd v Liverpool and I was just as bored as I was watching Morton v Scumfermline 🤣

Edited by WDJ87

15 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

They seem very nice and very sensible compared to the JKB punters :rofl:

They are in a very strong position,they have us over a barrel,everything is in their favour…they could offer £30,000 and we would have to take it,they know that. The best we could do is insist on a part exchange with a fairly experienced forward coming in as part of the deal.  "

:levein_interesting:Hmmm... anyone have any ideas as to who we could offer them?   :whistling:  :woot:   

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, indianajones said:

Teams like st Mirren, Killie, Hamilton and Hibs would definitely not be championship clubs 

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Teams like st Mirren, Killie, Hamilton and Hibs would definitely not be championship clubs 

Thats true.

The championship almost always has 5-6 teams that are really struggling though. 

Its the prize that gives the hype i think. Biggest one in world football allegedly.

Ainsley Harriott
2 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

How not? The main difference between the leagues is money. Watched Man Utd v Liverpool and I was just as bored as I was watching Morton v Scumfermline 🤣

Salah definitely couldn't cut it on a cold night in Greenock 

4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

I sometimes find it surprising how poor the defences are in that league. 

3 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Maybe not if operating on SPL budgets...

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

True and I agree about football being boring no matter what the level. I get so bored watching CL group games to the point I don't watch until the knockout stages now.

Point is in terms of the size of the clubs, wage bills and how well they could compete if they dropped down right now, the bottom of the Premiership would fit in L1 at best. Looks like the likes of Killie would be a mid L1 team total wage bill wise. The top half of the Premiership would fit in the Championship. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

True and I agree about football being boring no matter what the level. I get so bored watching CL group games to the point I don't watch until the knockout stages now.

Point is in terms of the size of the clubs, wage bills and how well they could compete if they dropped down right now, the bottom of the Premiership would fit in L1 at best. The top half in the Championship. 

Our game up here is massively undersold. John McGinn for example (😠) sold for £6m (probably wrong there) and less than a year later he's tipped to join Man U for £50m, I know it didn't happen but cannot imagine he suddenly improved by massive amounts just under a year at Villa. Van Dyke is another, couple of seasons at Southampton and suddenly he's the most expensive defender in the EPL. Andrew Robertson... yada yada yada.

23 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Probably between middle Championship, Top half League 1 standard. 

Their league 2 standard is probably akin to our Championship imo, infact some of the defending and goalkeeping is perhaps below that. 

You get absolutely wads of time and space on the ball in those leagues. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Probably between middle Championship, Top half League 1 standard. 

Their league 2 standard is probably akin to our Championship imo, infact some of the defending and goalkeeping is perhaps below that. 

You get absolutely wads of time and space on the ball in those leagues. 

Probably why Oliver Lee is such a good fit! 

6 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Hmmm. I need to ponder this. Who to trust.

A player from League 2 in England who our Sporting Director has obviously seen play, studied and subsequently recommended or the utter phalluses on here who have never heard of the bloke and wouldn't know a football player if they shat one out of their arseholes. 

It's quite scary really....

Quite incredible.:jj_facepalm:

1 minute ago, haveyouheard1874 said:

If the lad signs at least give him a chance 

I’d wager not many on here have seen him play and aren’t basing their opinion, good or bad, on very much. If Neilson keeps going for the types of players we need in the positions he needs them I’m sure it’ll come good. 

I know he's not a forward but I wonder if Aidy White might interest them? He will still be well known from his time with Leeds etc and has proven his recovery from long term injury.

Would be win win to get him off the books early AND get our big striker in. 

It might also suit Aidy to get a club back down in England sooner rather than later.

43 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

Our game up here is massively undersold. John McGinn for example (😠) sold for £6m (probably wrong there) and less than a year later he's tipped to join Man U for £50m, I know it didn't happen but cannot imagine he suddenly improved by massive amounts just under a year at Villa. Van Dyke is another, couple of seasons at Southampton and suddenly he's the most expensive defender in the EPL. Andrew Robertson... yada yada yada.

We're in the unfortunate position that there's no significant money coming in in the way of sponsors, etc, to allow us to demand top dollar from the English clubs.

If we were raking in the dosh every season like down south we wouldn't be in desperate need to sell players for way less than their worth.

Looks like the boy Adebayo looks quite decent from the clips I've watched, He looks quite strong and quick and has been on a decent scoring run with 8 in 24 this season, It's definitely an interesting signing, I think as he is only 23 he will be one we are looking to develop and sell on if it works out. Heres hoping 👍

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

They are in a very strong position,they have us over a barrel,everything is in their favour…they could offer £30,000 and we would have to take it,they know that. The best we could do is insist on a part exchange with a fairly experienced forward coming in as part of the deal.  "

:levein_interesting:Hmmm... anyone have any ideas as to who we could offer them?   :whistling:  :woot:   

If only. 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Salah's played in 3rd World shit-hole's whilst playing for Egypt.

So in fairness, Greenock might be a step too far psychologically.

🤣

35 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

We're in the unfortunate position that there's no significant money coming in in the way of sponsors, etc, to allow us to demand top dollar from the English clubs.

If we were raking in the dosh every season like down south we wouldn't be in desperate need to sell players for way less than their worth.

We aren’t desperate though. Why would you suggest that?

A Shoreditch Heart
48 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

I know he's not a forward but I wonder if Aidy White might interest them? He will still be well known from his time with Leeds etc and has proven his recovery from long term injury.

Would be win win to get him off the books early AND get our big striker in. 

It might also suit Aidy to get a club back down in England sooner rather than later.

I can see the way you're thinking, but i would like to see the new guy come in and White to remain here too - I like Aidy he's a great squad player

44 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Looks like the boy Adebayo looks quite decent from the clips I've watched, He looks quite strong and quick and has been on a decent scoring run with 8 in 24 this season, It's definitely an interesting signing, I think as he is only 23 he will be one we are looking to develop and sell on if it works out. Heres hoping 👍

This,  I would be happier to take a chance on this guy rather getting an older player in thats passed his best and is getting slow and can only get slower ! 

Edited by One five

kingantti1874

Just read through this properly, folk writing the guy off despite having never watched him. Presumably we are only allowed to sign players from bigger clubs now 😂 that usually works out well doesn’t it.. probably tugged themselves dry when we signed JP from Man U.. 

Said it before and will say it again.. we have a small minority  of some of the absolute WORST most clueless “fans” in the U.K. self entitled clueless *****. 

Edited by kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Just read through this properly, folk writing the guy off despite having never watched him. Presumably we are only allowed to sign players from bigger clubs now 😂 that usually works out well doesn’t it.. probably tugged themselves dry when we signed JP from Man U.. 

Think I'll search out Pereira signs thread.

It could have experts squirming.

11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Said it before and will say it again.. we have a small minority  of some of the absolute WORST most clueless “fans” in the U.K. self entitled clueless *****. 

👍👍👍👍

1 hour ago, sadj said:

🤣

We aren’t desperate though. Why would you suggest that?

I'm not talking about the game up here in general.

Phil D. Corners

I’m excited to see how the first Savage/Neilson ‘unknown’ signing turns out. 

GMS was known to us, but I’m excited to see how the Savage and Neilson... without Levein, signings get on. 

I hope this is the start of something good. 

1 minute ago, Phil D. Corners said:

GMS was known to us, but I’m excited to see how the Savage and Neilson... without Levein, signings get on. 

👍 here’s hoping.

5 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

👍yeah let’s  hope there’s good times ahead mate

27 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

How this place is run/moderated has a lot to answer for.

Obvious trolls given far too much leniency to spout their bile.

People on here will laugh at Hibs.net and their lockdowns/ clean ups but at least their admin are supportive of their club and won’t allow slanderous comments on the board.

Compare and contrast that with what has been allowed to be said on here about Ann Budge for example.

This place is harmful to Heart of Midlothian football club.

Adebayo follows Uche on his social media, he'll know what the Hearts are all about. I wouldn’t be surprised if he tries to force a move.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just as players should not be written off, even when they don't start great,  nor should Savage. 

He won't get every one right. Nobody ever has done 

24 minutes ago, Davie Deans said:

How this place is run/moderated has a lot to answer for.

Obvious trolls given far too much leniency to spout their bile.

People on here will laugh at Hibs.net and their lockdowns/ clean ups but at least their admin are supportive of their club and won’t allow slanderous comments on the board.

Compare and contrast that with what has been allowed to be said on here about Ann Budge for example.

This place is harmful to Heart of Midlothian football club.

100%. 

Tommy Flogel took about 2 months to pick up the pace of the game in Scotland - he turned out OK. Plenty of folks nowadays would have wanted him binned in those 2 months.

John Millar started out really badly and looking very slow. It took him around 3 months then he turned out fine, especially liking a goal v Hibs. Even when he left it was part of the Mickey Cameron deal. 

Sometimes people need time to settle in

9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Just as players should not be written off, even when they don't start great,  nor should Savage. 

Especially when you’re digging around for free transfer gems.

8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I think some posters are maybe rightly worried about us using that market due to the last few years, but not one signing should be judged until we seen the quality of the signings Savage brings. 

We wanted change and can't judge it until we see the results.  

Got a feeling we won't make as many mistakes looking at leagues 1 & 2 in England. 

I think getting Savage is the best bit  of foresight by the club for a while. 

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

I think some posters are maybe rightly worried about us using that market due to the last few years, but not one signing should be judged until we seen the quality of the signings Savage brings. 

Got a feeling we won't make as many mistakes looking at leagues 1 & 2 in England. 

As long as the scouting is done thoroughly and we' ve done our due diligence, im sure we'll be alright. That's probably the reason why we've wasted obscene amounts of money on crap players. As you say, it doesn't always work out but it should improve our hit rate having a proper Sporting Director who knows the market. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

where do they think we should be shopping? La Liga? We have a budget - same as every other team in Scotland, we will get some right. We will get some wrong.. 

that aside, being worried doesn’t mean they have to act like arseholes.

bigsuperslim1874
11 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Tommy Flogel took about 2 months to pick up the pace of the game in Scotland - he turned out OK. Plenty of folks nowadays would have wanted him binned in those 2 months.

John Millar started out really badly and looking very slow. It took him around 3 months then he turned out fine, especially liking a goal v Hibs. Even when he left it was part of the Mickey Cameron deal. 

Sometimes people need time to settle in

Good shout - underrated player and as you say he loved a goal vs Hobos.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )