January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

4 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Surely got to be better than Wighton ffs... 

:lol: Brief and to the point 👍

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Mike Galloway. ****ing hell, I was about a month old when we signed him. Anyone else in the last 30 years? :laugh2:

Didn't realise there was a time limitation to your query.

The point is it is possible, as other teams in Scotland have proved, to pluck highly effective players from the lower leagues in England.

6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Mike Galloway. ****ing hell, I was about a month old when we signed him. Anyone else in the last 30 years? :laugh2:

Not that I can think of!

24 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Granted it's only one fans opinion but apparently he may not quite cut the mustard.

Happy to be proved wrong and will back him all the same if he does sign.

Screenshot_20210120-094502_YouTube.jpg

that 2nd comment strikes me as a "nah, you dinnae want Boyce, not likely to make the cut, take the lad Wighton though, he'd be great for you" type post. 

never seen a set of fans advocate us taking a better player than the one we are credited with

13 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Did a bit of digging into this lad and he looks like an interesting find. Tall, strong, aggressive, right-footed with a strong left, and a bit of a finisher in the box. Sounds like he'd do well with a team who have a couple of wingers whipping it in for him to attack. Reminds me of Emmanuel Adebaoyor, and not just because his name's nearly the same :D 

Our “wingers” hardly ever whip a cross into the box. The amount of overhit crosses is ridiculous.

I don’t know the first thing about this guy. Have to trust those who do 

colinmorewasgash
9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Adebayo?

Another hit and miss striker from lower reaches of england. Haven't we been here before.Why not get an experienced striker someone with proven record in scotland or a young striker with promise. Remember days when we would sign players from lower scottish clubs cameron mccann hamilton weir fulton and make them better why do we always do same thing which hasn't worked before. He could be great or could be Uche clone who knows.

40 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I hope we’re not signing a player to sit on the bench. Says to me that he won’t be good enough to start. I hope we’re signing someone who’ll keep Boyce out the team or play alongside him.

Sure we go with him and Boyce up front in the championship. 

Think Boyce would revel in having a guy like that up top with him. 

Just now, colinmorewasgash said:

Another hit and miss striker from lower reaches of england. Haven't we been here before.Why not get an experienced striker someone with proven record in scotland or a young striker with promise. Remember days when we would sign players from lower scottish clubs cameron mccann hamilton weir fulton and make them better why do we always do same thing which hasn't worked before. He could be great or could be Uche clone who knows.

I get the risk but don’t see a striker from the Scottish lower leagues with a similar record being any less of a risk. 

15 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Surely got to be better than Wighton ffs... 

Better than our joint top scorer? That would be good.

As somebody who has seen Adebayo play this is my 2 cents: 

Big physical striker who caused centre backs a few problems. 

Looked a little lost up top on his own, needs a strike partner, but did help create a goal when he was on the pitch. 

L2 is a much better standard than the Scottish Championship. I’d have faith that he’d do ok up here.

Plus, he’s only 23. 

The guy fits the bill for what we require and is very well thought of at Walsall would be silly to right him of without seeing him play I would also hazard a guess he has been on joe savages radar for a while

28 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Have people read what Robbie has asked for?

A forward who will hold the ball up,link play and take the strain off Boyce and Naisy.

Not a striker who is 5 foot tall and scores 1 every other game.

With Boyce,Naisy,Ginnelly,GMS,Irving,Halkett,Smith and Kingsley there is goals inn this team.

What I found a bit funny about that is that Boyce is superb at holding the ball up.  The issue for me has more been about "who is he holding it up for!?"  We've not really had anyone in and beside the forwards. The difference in games when we've gone two up front, with Wighton up there has been very obvious.  Similarly, if we have midfielders who get up and beyond more, that would do it.

I don't think we need someone to "hold it up".  Naisy also very good at that.  RObbie knows what he wants, so cool with it, just don't see that as something we really lack.  Someone who links midfield and attack a bit better maybe.  I can also see why we'd maybe want a big guy if we start playing with two wingers - GMS and Gino.  And I'd hope that's the plan.  Play direct, driving football, getting to the byeline to get crosses in, rather than long to a front man.  I'm not against direct football - so fashionable to dislike it (how bad is the term "play football the way its meant to be played"!?), if it's effective, it's good, and it can be just as exciting.  Just not sure it suits us.

Just now, TheBigO said:

What I found a bit funny about that is that Boyce is superb at holding the ball up.  The issue for me has more been about "who is he holding it up for!?"  We've not really had anyone in and beside the forwards. The difference in games when we've gone two up front, with Wighton up there has been very obvious.  Similarly, if we have midfielders who get up and beyond more, that would do it.

I don't think we need someone to "hold it up".  Naisy also very good at that.  RObbie knows what he wants, so cool with it, just don't see that as something we really lack.  Someone who links midfield and attack a bit better maybe.  I can also see why we'd maybe want a big guy if we start playing with two wingers - GMS and Gino.  And I'd hope that's the plan.  Play direct, driving football, getting to the byeline to get crosses in, rather than long to a front man.  I'm not against direct football - so fashionable to dislike it (how bad is the term "play football the way its meant to be played"!?), if it's effective, it's good, and it can be just as exciting.  Just not sure it suits us.

He can hold the ball up, but Boyce is a proven goal scorer at this level - 1 in 2 at Ross county.

I’m guessing robbies thinking is we have our 20 goal a year man, we need to get someone in alongside Boyce and free him up to put the ball in the net. 

The Old Tolbooth
14 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Better than our joint top scorer? That would be good.

That's actually a staggering stat! 

Berra than you
4 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

He can hold the ball up, but Boyce is a proven goal scorer at this level - 1 in 2 at Ross county.

I’m guessing robbies thinking is we have our 20 goal a year man, we need to get someone in alongside Boyce and free him up to put the ball in the net. 

I think this is what he's thinking. Boyce is effectively the best striker we could probably afford at this level, and to get the best out of him you need someone else to do the dirty work.

Neil Dongcaster

Seems different to what we have. I think Lebrun gave Uche a new contract so I’d imagine he’s probably going to be a fair bit cheaper than Uche was.

1 minute ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Jeez, not even signed and the boy has been written off already by some. I take it they have checked his stats on fifa and don't like what they see? 

Agreed.

If we were trying to sign Messi and Ronaldo, folk on here would be saying, 'too old FFS Hearts'. 'Have some ambition, get younger ones in'.

Not for me to have a go at fellow Jambos, but I'm going to, some folk really, I mean REALLY need to get a grip, wake up and smell the coffee.

Where should we be shopping then? Who should we be targeting? If not trying to unearth gems, looking to find value where others can't, then what?

Give me strength!

Allowayjambo1874
34 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

No being funny but who have we signed from League 2 that's cut the mustard here? 

Just looked at last 10 years signings and the only one leaving a league two club (albeit they had just won promotion) to come to hearts that may be classed as a success has been Olly Lee.

‘Successes’ from league 1 we have Prince Bauben (Carlisle were L1 at the time), Michael Smith & Liam Boyce. I think Jon McLaughlin’s Burton had finished 20th in championship season before he came to us. 

The remainder that have arrived from a club below the English championship have been pish. 

Disclaimer: Not getting into whether these guys were successes or not, just that they made significant number of appearances and were important for particular seasons. 

22 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Didn't realise there was a time limitation to your query.

The point is it is possible, as other teams in Scotland have proved, to pluck highly effective players from the lower leagues in England.

League 2 didn't exist back then. I believe it was Division 4. 

Not saying it isn't possible but in recent years we've not had much success especially on the striker front with huddies like Stockton and Uche. 

10 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

Aye, makes sense.  Have him play between the width of the posts like an old school poacher.  Be nice.  Been a while!

Hearts fans- we always miss out on the good players from the lower leagues, guys like moult etc,plucked from obscurity by Motherwell and sold on for a good fee. Our scouting is shite. We should be goj g for these sort of players

Also Hearts fans- who? WHO? Never heard of him, big useless target man, why are we buying from that league, surely we can get better 

The days of getting Stephanie Adam, Pasquale Bruno etc are gone, this is our market and we have brought in a guy who knows these leagues and the hidden gems within them. Let's not write him off before he even signs 

Just now, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Just looked at last 10 years signings and the only one leaving a league two club (albeit they had just won promotion) to come to hearts that may be classed as a success has been Olly Lee.

‘Successes’ from league 1 we have Prince Bauben (Carlisle were L1 at the time), Michael Smith & Liam Boyce. I think Jon McLaughlin’s Burton had finished 20th in championship season before he came to us. 

The remainder that have arrived from a club below the English championship have been pish. 

Disclaimer: Not getting into whether these guys were successes or not, just that they made significant number of appearances and were important for particular seasons. 

I don't pay enough attention to other teams so would only know about success stories like Cosgrove, but I wonder the general hit rate from that level.  Have other teams had their share of Cole Stocktons too?

2 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Hearts fans- we always miss out on the good players from the lower leagues, guys like moult etc,plucked from obscurity by Motherwell and sold on for a good fee. Our scouting is shite. We should be goj g for these sort of players

Also Hearts fans- who? WHO? Never heard of him, big useless target man, why are we buying from that league, surely we can get better 

The days of getting Stephanie Adam, Pasquale Bruno etc are gone, this is our market and we have brought in a guy who knows these leagues and the hidden gems within them. Let's not write him off before he even signs 

Thats a very good point.  We probably have to put a bit of trust in Joe here.  You'd think he'll personally know the market rather than trusting scouts as has been our model over the last while it would appear.

By the way, tentatively on topic, Uche was a good signing.  Pretty obscure, but you could totally see why we signed him.  We didn't use him properly or perhaps even coach him to be better would be  my summary of him.  Of course, perhaps he was uncoachable.  But there was huge upside to his game.

1 minute ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Yep, I wouldn't personally class Lee as a success tbf, he was punted twice within the duration of his contract. 

Generally, good established League 1 players would do alright for us. Anything from League 2 or below is a bit of a punt for us. The likes of Motherwell seem to do better at that as their expectation levels aren't as high. 

By no means am I saying this boy is shit. Fits the criteria as far as I can tell. It's just been our luck perhaps that players we've signed from that level generally don't cut it at Hearts. 

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hughes has them working hard, I wish they wouldn’t put him on Sky Sports news all the time though it’s cringeworthy listening to his Leef pish. 

Do they put subtitles up?

Quite "Prophetic" that people on here write off Elijah before they see him play. (ouch)

I take it some of you are unhappy Hearts gave a job to Joe Savage instead of you to identify players? 

29 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I get the risk but don’t see a striker from the Scottish lower leagues with a similar record being any less of a risk. 

Correct. I give you "the wizard" that is Craig Wighton as a fine example of that.

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yep, I wouldn't personally class Lee as a success tbf, he was punted twice within the duration of his contract. 

Generally, good established League 1 players would do alright for us. Anything from League 2 or below is a bit of a punt for us. The likes of Motherwell seem to do better at that as their expectation levels aren't as high. 

By no means am I saying this boy is shit. Fits the criteria as far as I can tell. It's just been our luck perhaps that players we've signed from that level generally don't cut it at Hearts. 

Motherwell also seem to bring through quite a number of decent young players through their youth set up unlike us.

26 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Got it in  one.

6 hours ago, Tazio said:

He’s also playing at Walsall who are 11th in league 2. Unplayable in league 2 but how often is his day? Interestingly Wikipedia says he has played at centre half. Sounds like a Kevin McKenna bit of thinking. 

CL left a while ago.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Motherwell also seem to bring through quite a number of decent young players through their youth set up unlike us.

Indeed. Again, probably because their lower expectations and their budget dictates their need to do so, outweighs the risk. 

The Apprentice

There are countless examples of players who have come to the Scottish Premiership from lower leagues in England, including National League level and held their own. 

Absolutely no issue the club are looking to tap into this market.

40 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Our “wingers” hardly ever whip a cross into the box. The amount of overhit crosses is ridiculous.

I don’t know the first thing about this guy. Have to trust those who do 

Assume you're talking about Roberts and Frear, whom I agree have been utter pish at doing this. Ginnelly is still sort of finding his feet I think, but he has done well getting down the line and getting it into the box. GMS has played about 20mins but historically has been this type of player too. Smith and Kinglsey also like to get forward and do the same. Irving puts some dangerous balls in from set-pieces...

If he can attack the ball in the box, and if he can wrestle with defenders, he'll do alright. He certainly has the physical attributes we're screaming out for right now. Whether or not he has the technical ability of course remains to be seen.  Normally when we're linked with a striker I look at their goals v appearances and am normally pretty underwhelmed to see they're scoring at a rate of a goal every 9-10 games or something. This lad, while still young and with less than 100 pro appearances to his name, is sitting at 1 in 4. 

Ex member of the SaS

Looks like he could do well, every player plays differently depending on who is around him. Give him a chance before jumping on his back. It's just typical of the EEN to add this snippet: pace and a physical presence.

When was the last time we fielded a big physical team?

( sorry for the font , it copied the quote ) 

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Assume you're talking about Roberts and Frear, whom I agree have been utter pish at doing this. Ginnelly is still sort of finding his feet I think, but he has done well getting down the line and getting it into the box. GMS has played about 20mins but historically has been this type of player too. Smith and Kinglsey also like to get forward and do the same. Irving puts some dangerous balls in from set-pieces...

If he can attack the ball in the box, and if he can wrestle with defenders, he'll do alright. He certainly has the physical attributes we're screaming out for right now. Whether or not he has the technical ability of course remains to be seen.  Normally when we're linked with a striker I look at their goals v appearances and am normally pretty underwhelmed to see they're scoring at a rate of a goal every 9-10 games or something. This lad, while still young and with less than 100 pro appearances to his name, is sitting at 1 in 4. 

I also noted in the description of him that it mentions this which we badly need.

He fits the bill for Hearts as a player with pace and a physical presence who can increase their options in attack.

If that's their target I'll hope he does the business.

Seems odd though that Uche scores more goals at that level, is now playing at a higher level. And is only 2 years older. If this was the market we were going to tap into we already had a project.

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Looks like he could do well, every player plays differently depending on who is around him. Give him a chance before jumping on his back. It's just typical of the EEN to add this snippet: pace and a physical presence.

When was the last time we fielded a big physical team?

( sorry for the font , it copied the quote ) 

Sorry I saw you had posted the same just after I posted mine.

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Ivan Toneys goal stats before joining Peterborough :

2017→ Scunthorpe United (loan)15(6)

2017–2018→ Wigan Athletic (loan)24(4)

2018→ Scunthorpe United (loan)16(8)

2018–2020Peterborough United76(40)

2020–Brentford22(16)

Look at Troy Deeneys. He came from Walsall as well. 

Allowayjambo1874
9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I don't pay enough attention to other teams so would only know about success stories like Cosgrove, but I wonder the general hit rate from that level.  Have other teams had their share of Cole Stocktons too?

I think this is the point, there is the occasional spectacular success and everyone then refers to that rather than the  much higher % rate of failures (where money has been wasted).

I will bet every football club in the land that brings in a player from the conference will have their fans forums banging on about finding a gem and referencing Jamie Vardy and not the Cole Stockton’s. 

Thankfully I think Hearts fans have seen enough of this in the past for the majority to be pragmatic. The attitude from most seems to be ‘wait and see how he turns out’, rather than going over the top one way or another. You can certainly understand why a little bit of scepticism exists.

That said I hope if he does come in, we can get him on a relatively cheap deal and he does the business 👍

Just now, Alan_R said:

If that's their target I'll hope he does the business.

Seems odd though that Uche scores more goals at that level, is now playing at a higher level. And is only 2 years older. If this was the market we were going to tap into we already had a project.

I think Uche was more lumbering and less skillful than this guy, Having said that this is only from reading the media so we will only know for sure once we have signed him and watch him actually play. He may be cheaper than Uche was as well.

Hibs signed that boy Clayton Donaldson from league 2 im sure and the boy was awful up here - they then punted him and the boy has scored a lot of goals in the English Championship over the years - my point being some players settle some don't Adebayo hopefully will 👍

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I also noted in the description of him that it mentions this which we badly need.

He fits the bill for Hearts as a player with pace and a physical presence who can increase their options in attack.

Yeah we need someone the ball will stick to. I’d forgotten about GMS and hope he can improve our crosses into dangerous areas. 

22 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Thats a very good point.  We probably have to put a bit of trust in Joe here.  You'd think he'll personally know the market rather than trusting scouts as has been our model over the last while it would appear.

By the way, tentatively on topic, Uche was a good signing.  Pretty obscure, but you could totally see why we signed him.  We didn't use him properly or perhaps even coach him to be better would be  my summary of him.  Of course, perhaps he was uncoachable.  But there was huge upside to his game.

Have to agree with that, Uche had a lot of attributes but not the footballing brain and we tried to make him something he wasn't. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )