January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

14 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Good shout - underrated player and as you say he loved a goal vs Hobos.

Ikpeazu scored 2 goals and had 1 assist against Hibs in 4 games. Yet people still in the last few pages of this thread have a pop at him.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

SectionDJambo
12 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Good shout - underrated player and as you say he loved a goal vs Hobos.

John Millar was a very effective player for us. He had a habit of arriving in the box at just the right time. Scored quite a few goals for us, some in big games.

A prime example of giving a new player a chance to settle in. They’re not all like Derek O’Connor, scoring within 5 minutes of their first game.

The opposite can happen too. A new player starting off well, but then disappointing as time goes by. Denis McQuade for example for older guys.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Ikpeazu scored 2 goals and had 1 assist against Hibs in 4 games. Yet people still in the last few pages of this thread have a pop at him.

I liked the big guy. Sure he had his flaws and lost a bit of form but what a mess the team was, no structure.

Seems to be doing ok for himself again now

All roads lead to Gorgie

It would be good to get the lad in now so he can get used to the game here under less pressure and be ready to face the premiership teams next season much better prepared.

jamboinglasgow
10 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Thats a very good point.  We probably have to put a bit of trust in Joe here.  You'd think he'll personally know the market rather than trusting scouts as has been our model over the last while it would appear.

By the way, tentatively on topic, Uche was a good signing.  Pretty obscure, but you could totally see why we signed him.  We didn't use him properly or perhaps even coach him to be better would be  my summary of him.  Of course, perhaps he was uncoachable.  But there was huge upside to his game.

It sounds obvious but in recruitment you need to sign someone with the attributes that best suit your team, the style you play and compliment those players around you. I feel our recruitment in the past has been either, x was potentially a good player but had problems in the past or y did well in lower league lets sign him. Uche could have been a good player for us (he showed it early on) but he was not coached properly and we did not play a style that suited his attributes.

2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

John Millar was a very effective player for us. He had a habit of arriving in the box at just the right time. Scored quite a few goals for us, some in big games.

A prime example of giving a new player a chance to settle in. They’re not all like Derek O’Connor, scoring within 5 minutes of their first game.

The opposite can happen too. A new player starting off well, but then disappointing as time goes by. Denis McQuade for example for older guys.

Denis McQuade. 🤨

SectionDJambo
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Denis McQuade. 🤨

Aye, I know.

Losing Donald Park for him and John Craig. 
Willie Ormond I think.

7 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Aye, I know.

Losing Donald Park for him and John Craig. 
Willie Ormond I think.

It was. Terrible swap deal. 

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Can't help but think Uche would have had a field day in this league, especially as an impact sub. Wonder if he had a clause to leave if someone came in for him? Guessing his wages were fairly decent too. At least we got a fee.

Hopefully this is the type of signing we look at more often - great age, good size, decent enough goal return this season. I like the fact he scores alot of poachers goals aswell. Give him half a season in the championship, get him up to speed for the top league next season. 

Folk need to calm their expectations a bit. If this guy was absolutely ripping it up down there he'd be getting linked with much bigger teams than us. It's a hard market for us to compete in, we've got to be shrewd and take calculated punts. 

4 hours ago, rambothejambo said:

Sitting here pishing myself at that, just imagine a 34' striker, would surely win his share of high balls 😂

Knowing us we'd still miss him out. Berra would be over the moon mind you though 😉

Just now, Gav M said:

would seem that if players don't have the kind of start to their Hearts career that DeVries had then they are pish and not worth it

Na I think it's been the 100+ duff players we've brought in over 5 years with maybe 3/4 success stories that have people thinking this way 

59 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Tommy Flogel took about 2 months to pick up the pace of the game in Scotland - he turned out OK. Plenty of folks nowadays would have wanted him binned in those 2 months.

John Millar started out really badly and looking very slow. It took him around 3 months then he turned out fine, especially liking a goal v Hibs. Even when he left it was part of the Mickey Cameron deal. 

Sometimes people need time to settle in

Actually Flogal (who was a brilliant player for us) was utter dog shit when he first arrived and took ages to settle. He was in and out of the first team for quite some time before he made that midfield spot his own. Just saying.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Actually Flogal (who was a brilliant player for us) was utter dog shit when he first arrived and took ages to settle. He was in and out of the first team for quite some time before he made that midfield spot his own. Just saying.

Zali as well. Karipedis, Mrowiec... Lots of examples. Quite a few under Romanov who we hardly saw for whatever reason and then they came in and were good - Tall, Goncalves, Palazelos, Barr, Bjorn Johnson. Equally there are players who started well then were terrible. Tony Watt springs to mind, Tziolis. Then there are ones who started terrible and were actually terrible. Stockton, Grzlek, Sowah, Vanacek.. 🤣

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Just as players should not be written off, even when they don't start great,  nor should Savage. 

He won't get every one right. Nobody ever has done 

Savage can only be a improvement,regarding signings.

20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It was. Terrible swap deal. 

Remember sitting at pittodrie.  Mcquade was coming on as a sub. I turned to my mate and said he is going to score, I just dont know who for. He scored a cracker in a 2 1 win.  O'connor got the first on his debut I think

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Just as players should not be written off, even when they don't start great,  nor should Savage. 

He won't get every one right. Nobody ever has done 

Agree and it would be especially tough to judge him on bringing in a target man as even the effective ones are often not always so entertaining to watch.

The January window is also trickier to attract quality players as clubs want to keep the good ones.

Hopefully we get some good players in asap but Savage has a longer term role so I won't be basing too much on this month's signings.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Remember sitting at pittodrie.  Mcquade was coming on as a sub. I turned to my mate and said he is going to score, I just dont know who for. He scored a cracker in a 2 1 win.  O'connor got the first on his debut I think

Did you march past the Beach End singing we're going to celebrate?

17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Zali as well. Karipedis, Mrowiec... Lots of examples. Quite a few under Romanov who we hardly saw for whatever reason and then they came in and were good - Tall, Goncalves, Palazelos, Barr, Bjorn Johnson. Equally there are players who started well then were terrible. Tony Watt springs to mind, Tziolis. Then there are ones who started terrible and were actually terrible. Stockton, Grzlek, Sowah, Vanacek.. 🤣

Careful what you say. There were a lot of comments about how Sowah should be nailed down to a long term deal after his first few games. Best left back since Wallace etc etc

3 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Careful what you say. There were a lot of comments about how Sowah should be nailed down to a long term deal after his first few games. Best left back since Wallace etc etc

He did look good the first couple of games. 😎

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

True, maybe move to the Tony Watt category

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

I really thought the right back Struna looked a player

Sowah was shit, but quite a few of those players were better than they showed,  Cathro was a factor 

Adebayo looks like he could have a good potential to grow and seems decent already

I'd also like us to go for some of the SPFL regulars that are out of contract. 

Has been working for other teams for ages, we always seemed to miss out on the right ones. Like:

Stuart Findlay at CB

Liam Polworth at CM

Connor McClennan out wide

Think McClennan would offer us a different kind of winger to Gino & GMS

Don't write him off too quickly work of be my thoughts. Some decent players in English lower leagues. Being a London based Jambo I've seen many many Barnet games and their old striker John Akinde I always felt could do a job for the JTs. Too old now probably and not exactly setting the heather alight at Gillingham but had  real potential back in the day. Lower English leagues can produce gems at times. Plenty of limited players there as well tbh, but this guy's stats seems decent and I have faith in Robbie and Savage.

Just now, augusthearts said:

Don't write him off too quickly would be my thoughts. Some decent players in English lower leagues. Being a London based Jambo I've seen many many Barnet games and their old striker John Akinde I always felt could do a job for the JTs. Too old now probably and not exactly setting the heather alight at Gillingham but had  real potential back in the day. Lower English leagues can produce gems at times. Plenty of limited players there as well tbh, but this guy's stats seems decent and I have faith in Robbie and Savage.

7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Sowah was shit, but quite a few of those players were better than they showed,  Cathro was a factor 

I'm biased, I use regularly sign Struna for hearts on FIFA.

I was delighted when he joined for real.

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Cathro certainly was. I still can't get over why he, or Levein if he was advising in some capacity, thought a complete squad overhaul in January was a good idea. Ok, CP got injured and Djoum was away but we were motoring in 2nd/3rd. The squad just needed fine-tuning. That transfer window was as bizarre as any under Romanov. He brought in 8 players FFS!

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

Was at that game to and remember the goal. Sure it was from long range. Think Craig who we got in the same deal, also made his debut that day.

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

I remeber it well. My first trip to pittodrie. Went with the Pivot. What an experience. There was a guy in a suede waistcoat and nothing underneath in font of me  who sat and made weird hand gestures to the polis. Think it was McQuades debut. O'connor scored with a typical falling tree style diving header. McQuade was shite after that.  Happy days

13 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

I remeber it well. My first trip to pittodrie. Went with the Pivot. What an experience. There was a guy in a suede waistcoat and nothing underneath in font of me  who sat and made weird hand gestures to the polis. Think it was McQuades debut. O'connor scored with a typical falling tree style diving header. McQuade was shite after that.  Happy days

McQuade scored a cracker at Easter Road. 

2 hours ago, cocomac said:

Was at that game to and remember the goal. Sure it was from long range. Think Craig who we got in the same deal, also made his debut that day.

Craig is the only player I can recall getting booed on as a sub at Tynecastle.

Hopeless!

9 hours ago, Sherbet said:

35 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

God, I remember when Bannon got transferred to Chelsea. I was gutted. 

Me too, Dave. I remember the first match after Bannon's transfer. A scottish cup tie at Raith Rovers. Protests by the fans to sack the board etc. Wee Malky Robertson scored a double on a skating rink of a pitch. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I’ve always thought that it was down to cash or that Uche wanted to move that we let him go. I’m as near certain he would have done some damage in the Championship and we’ve never really not had a 6 footer striker.

So it doesn’t surprise me that we are going for a similar-ish type of striker - possibly one with more potential. Savage must know of him/have scouted him whilst down south...

HEARTS FOREVER
6 hours ago, iainmac said:

Craig is the only player I can recall getting booed on as a sub at Tynecastle.

Hopeless!

I'm sure Leigh Jenkinsons home debut wasn't far from that.

section s heart
10 hours ago, cocomac said:

Was behind the goal that DOC scored into. Think it was his debut and very early in the game. Not sure it was McQuade's debut though we still had to see whether he was any good. Looked promising as he crashed in that winner. 

Ainsley Harriott
42 minutes ago, HEARTS FOREVER said:

I'm sure Leigh Jenkinsons home debut wasn't far from that.

Paul Hartley got booed before he kicked a ball. Safe to say he won us over 

11 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Paul Hartley got booed before he kicked a ball. Safe to say he won us over 

I think him and Dennis Wyness were announced over the tannoy at tynecastle either at the last home game of the season or in a pre-season friendly.  Huge roar for wyness and mostly polite clapping for Hartley but some boos and anti hibs shouts. 

2 hours ago, japanjambo said:

Thanks for posting. That was better than I than I remembered it. Loved these days when the bus set of at 8 or 9 and left at a similar time after the game. 

2 hours ago, japanjambo said:

Shouldn't have clicked on this! Ended up down a you tube rabbit hole for half an hour.

Clicked on the 2-2 draw away to the sheep on 3rd February 1990. The thing that struck me is when the commentator was going through the teams he said, ' There are Hearts top goalscorers, John Robertson and Scott Crabbe with 15 goals each this season.'

15 goals each....by the 3rd of February.

I'd like to get hold of one striker who could hit 15 by the first week of February never mind two.

Robertson ended that season with 22 goals in total; 17 league.

Crabbe ended with 12 league goals but I can't find the total; clearly more than 15.

I guess I took our strikers for granted back then. Can't recall thinking it was anything out of the ordinary; you could bet your house of Robbo hitting 20 a season.

3 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

a little Kingsley tease on the twitter...

now that would be a great start to the day, and a cracking peice of business.

if we are able to sign him up for longer it says a lot about what is happening in the background and where the current management team (Savage included) are trying to take us

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )