• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He probably just found out too, he’s no guru on the rules. 
It’s been a rule for a long time, just looked it up and it also states you can’t be offside from a corner, and I was like 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😆?

It's impossible to play the ball forward from a corner or the player to be beyond the ball. 

7 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

And apparently just like a throw in a player can’t be offside if they receive the ball direct from a goal kick, which I only just found out tonight.

You're at it. 

46 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Scoring from a Goal-kick, I have never encountered.

I knew you can't be offside from one, so had it in my mind, you cant score also (as a throw-in)

Big faux pas by me. I'm a retired referee:vrface:

I think they changed the rule a few years back right enough. Have to say, Tommy, my first reaction was same as yours. Glad I didn't post it though!!!!!

People who shout offside at Tynecastle when a throw in has been taken should stick to bake off. 

There are folk on here who argue black is white that don't even know the rules of the game. :facepalm: Please stop. 

Edited by ri Alban

Adebayo was playing for Walsall at Morecambe last night. Missed a chance to win the game late on apparently.

Still, he could be a decent prospect so if it's him we want then good luck to the lad.

43 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's impossible to play the ball forward from a corner or the player to be beyond the ball. 

Not quite true as the corner quadrant allows for it to be possible. Still can’t be offside according to the rules though.

2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

We may as well have kept Uche if we are signing this Adebayo guy.

Seen much of him play or just worried about long ball tactics?

Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

We may as well have kept Uche if we are signing this Adebayo guy.

Apart from being of African decent and big they are not similar in style at all.🤦‍♂️

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Seen much of him play or just worried about long ball tactics?

Another target man witn a poor scoring record from the lower reaches of english football. As a club it's what we've done for 5 years, move bang average players on to replace them with another bang average player.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Another target man witn a poor scoring record from the lower reaches of english football. As a club it's what we've done for 5 years, move bang average players on to replace them with another bang average player.

Who do you want a championship team to sign then, moneybags? 

These are the leagues we need to look in. Even in league 2 wages and transfer fees can still be way above Scottish levels. He has a 1 in 3 scoring record this season which is successful for any striker, so hardly poor. Not sure who you are expecting so if you can drop some names in for guys you know we can afford, let’s hear them

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

Who do you want a championship team to sign then, moneybags? 

These are the leagues we need to look in. Even in league 2 wages and transfer fees can still be way above Scottish levels. He has a 1 in 3 scoring record this season which is successful for any striker, so hardly poor. Not sure who you are expecting so if you can drop some names in for guys you know we can afford, let’s hear them

Calm down dear

Absolute Scenes
Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Calm down dear

Well nah, stop bumping your gums at every player mentioned

lets hear who we should be signing that we can afford

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Well nah, stop bumping your gums at every player mentioned

lets hear who we should be signing that we can afford

It's like Neil Lennon doing a press conference 

13 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Tbf we’ve been fairly ambitious in some of the signings we’ve made. Kingsley, Gordon, GMS. Like you I’m hoping that the average journeyman type signings are going to slow down. Not all lower league English players are lost causes though. I’m sure there are a few gems out there. Let’s hope we get better at finding them. 

18 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Apart from being of African decent and big they are not similar in style at all.🤦‍♂️

I think Uche’s style is somewhat unique 😀

8 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Cracking name btw.

According to Wiki his full name is...

Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehin Adebayo

That's some scrabble score.

On 13/01/2021 at 11:26, Herbert said:

Elijah Adebayo - Got a text from a pal saying were looking at him, Anyone seen him play?

👏

1 hour ago, whodanny said:

Jeez ! How do you get all that on the back of a shirt ? 😉

Pay alot of money.

Hopefully the boy does a job for us, most likely be from the bench has Boycie is the main man and gives us a different option of ball to Berra and punt to the big man...

25 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

You’re missing the point he’s not looking for an out and out goal scorer he wants someone that can hold up the ball and take us further up the park.

to link up with Boyce and others obviously he will need to contribute with goals but let’s wait and see how he does if and when he comes 

10 minutes ago, Fultons Right Leg said:

Like clockwork - 

great work Barry, who's your source?  HMFC Kickback byany chance

edit:

apologies @Fultons Right Leg, didn't notice your "Like Clockwork"

Edited by Tommy Brown

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He probably just found out too, he’s no guru on the rules. 
It’s been a rule for a long time, just looked it up and it also states you can’t be offside from a corner, and I was like 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😆?

The corner one.. If a player is forward from the ball they'd be off the pitch, the ball is being kicked from.. Eh the corner! 🙄

4 minutes ago, Gary Locke said:

Hopefully the boy does a job for us, most likely be from the bench has Boycie is the main man and gives us a different option of ball to Berra and punt to the big man...

I think we can all agree we’ve missed the punt up the park from big CB. 😀

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I think we can all agree we’ve missed the punt up the park from big CB. 😀

Yep ideal fodder for CB. 

Fultons Right Leg
10 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

great work Barry, who's your source?  HMFC Kickback byany chance

edit:

apologies @Fultons Right Leg, didn't notice your "Like Clockwork"

👍

Bit harsh on Barry tbh (and other journos).

He's hardly going to put up transfer info at the rumour stage. Once it's pretty concrete he's going to run with it.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

17 minutes ago, Gary Locke said:

I hope we’re not signing a player to sit on the bench. Says to me that he won’t be good enough to start. I hope we’re signing someone who’ll keep Boyce out the team or play alongside him.

49 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Writing the player off without ever seeing him play.

:facepalm: 

Granted it's only one fans opinion but apparently he may not quite cut the mustard.

Happy to be proved wrong and will back him all the same if he does sign.

Screenshot_20210120-094502_YouTube.jpg

Adebayo has a one in three scoring record which is hardly great  for a striker at the levels he has played at, on the other hand he's only 23 and could still develop. Maybe it just comes down to how much he costs us.

Adebayo could be the proverbial gem plucked from the lower leagues, so lets judge when/if he signs. I mentioned on here a few weeks ago a couple of strikers I'd go for as I'd be looking for smallish, mobile, 20 goal a season types; ohh how I wish for a young Robbo to come along! Clearly Robbie is looking for an out and out target man.

The two names I threw in from League 2 were Max Watters and Matt Jay. Both young, mobile, scoring at a decent rate and would perhaps be within our budget. Watters moved to Cardiff a couple of days ago for an undisclosed fee, in excess of £500k is the rumour, so I was wrong on being able to afford him.

Both these players have moved about on loan, got some experience and are now settled, getting a run of games and scoring at a great rate.

A similar case can be made for Adebayo. Almost 1 in 3 at Walsall for his type of forward is a great return and he will have had a great grounding at Fulham. There is plenty evidence in Scottish football of an unheralded player from an unheralded team scoring at a decent rate in the Scottish Premier League; Moult springs to mind.

However there is also evidence of the reverse as we all know!

Let hope little Savage and Robbie have done their homework and this guy is the gem we are all hoping for.

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Bit harsh on Barry tbh (and other journos).

He's hardly going to put up transfer info at the rumour stage. Once it's pretty concrete he's going to run with it.

There are also plenty of names that get mentioned on here that don't get into the EEN, and some which get put to him and rubbished (Moult being the most recent).

Just now, Ccjambo1874 said:

Granted it's only one fans opinion but apparently he may not quite cut the mustard.

Happy to be proved wrong and will back him all the same if he does sign.

Screenshot_20210120-094502_YouTube.jpg

Actually great to see some fans in England know their place for a change.

Remember Luton and slating Lee for taking a step down coming to us....

1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

There are also plenty of names that get mentioned on here that don't get into the EEN, and some which get put to him and rubbished (Moult being the most recent).

Absolutely.

He takes a slaughtering as it is. Imagine if he tweeted every single rumour :lol:

Leveins Battalion

Have people read what Robbie has asked for?

A forward who will hold the ball up,link play and take the strain off Boyce and Naisy.

Not a striker who is 5 foot tall and scores 1 every other game.

With Boyce,Naisy,Ginnelly,GMS,Irving,Halkett,Smith and Kingsley there is goals inn this team.

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I think that if he does arrive here it will on the recommendation of Joe Savage. He’ll have seen plenty off him. I would write off anyone just because they have come from the lower Divisions down south. We have had a few good signings from there.  

2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I think that if he does arrive here it will on the recommendation of Joe Savage. He’ll have seen plenty off him. I would write off anyone just because they have come from the lower Divisions down south. We have had a few good signings from there.  

No being funny but who have we signed from League 2 that's cut the mustard here? 

2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Have people read what Robbie has asked for?

A forward who will hold the ball up,link play and take the strain off Boyce and Naisy.

Not a striker who is 5 foot tall and scores 1 every other game.

With Boyce,Naisy,Ginnelly,GMS,Irving,Halkett,Smith and Kingsley there is goals inn this team.

Agree.

As suggested, 1 in 3 for a 'target man' type forward is pretty good for me. The wee guys need to work off the big man and finish. If said big man also gets a few goals now and again, all good too!

32 minutes ago, Fultons Right Leg said:

Like clockwork - 

Did a bit of digging into this lad and he looks like an interesting find. Tall, strong, aggressive, right-footed with a strong left, and a bit of a finisher in the box. Sounds like he'd do well with a team who have a couple of wingers whipping it in for him to attack. Reminds me of Emmanuel Adebaoyor, and not just because his name's nearly the same :D 

Just now, Cruyff said:

No being funny but who have we signed from League 2 that's cut the mustard here? 

Wayne Foster and Mike Galloway. A few years ago - but there are plenty good players starting out in that league that eventually play at a much higher level. I’d write no one off until we actually see them play.

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Mike Galloway, if I am correct. Bought for £50K sold for 10 times that and scored a good few in the UEFA Cup run. Signed from Halifax but not sure what league they were in.

Plenty of SPFL clubs have had success from players in the lower English leagues. Perhaps with the new scouting system/process we are putting in place its our turn to benefit. We've been burnt many times but at least this guy will offer another dimension up top which we've been lacking. He should also be relatively low cost, just hope he's not another Stockton.

2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Wayne Foster and Mike Galloway. A few years ago - but there are plenty good players starting out in that league that eventually play at a much higher level. I’d write no one off until we actually see them play.

Just now, John Rambo said:

Mike Galloway, if I am correct. Bought for £50K sold for 10 times that and scored a good few in the UEFA Cup run. Signed from Halifax but not sure what league they were in.

Mike Galloway. ****ing hell, I was about a month old when we signed him. Anyone else in the last 30 years? :laugh2:

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )