• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

• Seymour M Hersh

49 minutes ago, fila said:

Need to start , we cannot allow them to build momentum and confidence in the game , get at that defence 

were  I’m at also.  If we end up 3 down at half time  then it’s a mistake leaving him on the bench. Start with our strongest and that includes Ginelly

1 hour ago, Barack said:

No. Bench option, assuming we're in it with 30 to go.

Disagree.

If you're playing a team low on confidence, you want to hit them early.

4 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

Ginelly must start next week. Big wide park will suit him perfectly. 

Hope so where he’ll most likely be up against Frimpong who has serious pace but his defending is suspect. That imo is why he has to be told to sit high up and have a go at him. 👍

Called it from day 1 when he signed

Boy is class and needs to be made a permanent deal if possible, He actually looks like a proper winger something we haven't had since maybe Nicholson? 

39 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Called it from day 1 when he signed

Boy is class and needs to be made a permanent deal if possible, He actually looks like a proper winger something we haven't had since maybe Nicholson? 

Before other teams realise he can play at a higher level .

He’s got to start.

Celtic may be a laughing stock right now but make no mistake, they could be 2 or 3 up by half time if they are on top of their game and we are set up wrong. 

Don’t try and ‘contain’. Don’t try and be clever. Play our best eleven and hope it’s enough!

alwaysthereinspirit
3 hours ago, salvo69 said:

I’ve sponsored three players....Whelan, Sibbick and now Ginnelly...thank god I got one right 

In your defense, Sibbick actually looked like he might have worked out before getting sick.

Governor Tarkin
6 hours ago, Barack said:

I don't think this'll be done in the 1st half for a change.

Off the park matters will be settled well before a ball is kicked.

A_A wehatethehibs

Listen we have done well to smokescreen this guy and hide him up until this cup final. Now is the time to unleash him, even if he only lasts the first half he can do the damage and others can come in and see it through. He’ll be too much for the opposition they won’t know what’s hit them

9 hours ago, salvo69 said:

I’ve sponsored three players....Whelan, Sibbick and now Ginnelly...thank god I got one right 

Better than my Dave Vanacek for sure and his value is now listed on transfer market as worth £650k 😳

Edited by Saughton Jambo

7 hours ago, DS98 said:

He’s got to start.

Celtic may be a laughing stock right now but make no mistake, they could be 2 or 3 up by half time if they are on top of their game and we are set up wrong. 

Don’t try and ‘contain’. Don’t try and be clever. Play our best eleven and hope it’s enough!

Agree.  Thing is, I don’t think we are good enough to think about a containing game.  I want things to change anyway.  Get back to formulating a style that helps us get our best attacking players in the game while still having the insurance at the back. You want Ginnelly on the ball as much as possible next week in the moments we get possession.

”front foot” is a phrase often used in football but it just doesn’t just mean how you set up. It’s about mentality, how you approach the game in your mind. If we go into it asking Ginnelly to sit deeper and his initial detail is to sit in, that’s him stifled already. Play to players best strengths. 

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree.  Thing is, I don’t think we are good enough to think about a containing game.  I want things to change anyway.  Get back to formulating a style that helps us get our best attacking players in the game while still having the insurance at the back. You want Ginnelly on the ball as much as possible next week in the moments we get possession.

”front foot” is a phrase often used in football but it just doesn’t just mean how you set up. It’s about mentality, how you approach the game in your mind. If we go into it asking Ginnelly to sit deeper and his initial detail is to sit in, that’s him stifled already. Play to players best strengths. 

This for me. Go after em. Give THEM something to think about

I'd start Ginnelly.  Celtic's defence is suspect, conceded 30 goals in their last 13 games.  We need to be attacking them down the flanks and getting crosses into the box to put them under pressure.  Ginnelly could wreak havoc.

3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Not sure we have the legs in our team to do a pressing style of game. 

We have little or no pace other than Ginnelly so it will be a different game altogether compared to our Championship games.

I wonder if Robbie will be tempted to go with three CB's moving Smith in beside Halkett and Berra or maybe even Haring?

I just hope we don't get turned over and put up a decent fight.

Anyone know the odds on us getting a red card? Can see Halliday having a bust up with Brown and being sent off.

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Not sure we have the legs in our team to do a pressing style of game. 

We have little or no pace other than Ginnelly so it will be a different game altogether compared to our Championship games.

I wonder if Robbie will be tempted to go with three CB's moving Smith in beside Halkett and Berra or maybe even Haring?

I just hope we don't get turned over and put up a decent fight.

Anyone know the odds on us getting a red card? Can see Halliday having a bust up with Brown and being sent off.

Not saying play a pressing game, WD, just don’t select an overly cautious side. I think we work hard to a man and I’d want Ginnelly in there working the line. You want him in the last third in those moments the ball drops for us there, as per Naisy, Walker and Boyce.  

Walker who started the season so sharp, looked the freshest he’s been in years, has scored goals recently but performance wise has tailed off a bit.  

However, it’s noticeable he does track back, putting in tackles and helping the defensive midfielders.  Do you keep him in because he also gives us attacking threat in a instant?   If you have an overall hard working team who go from each end of the park as a unit, I wouldn’t be sacrificing any of our attacking players next week just to be cautious.  

Edited by Debut 4

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Not saying play a pressing game, WD, just don’t select an overly cautious side. I think we work hard to a man and I’d want Ginnelly in there working the line. You want him in the last third in hose moments the ball drops for us there, as per Naisy, Walker and Boyce.  

Walker who started the season so sharp, looked the freshest he’s been in years, has scored goals recently but performance wise has tailed off a bit.  

However, it’s noticeable he does track back, putting in tackles and helping the defensive midfielders.  Do you keep him in because he also gives us attacking threat in a instant?   If you have an overall hard working team who go from each end of the park as a unit, I wouldn’t be sacrificing any of our attacking players next week just to be cautious.  

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sugest you were advocating playing a pressing game it was just my thoughts on how other teams have had success against them.

If you sit in then I think that is just asking for trouble.

I have a feeling that Robbie might well go for the containment option with starts for Halliday and Haring at the expense of maybe Walker and Lee.

He may introduce them later and that might be a better option as neither are the quickest around the pitch and struggle for 90 minutes.

They both have their attributes but I am not sure both will start.

It's a hard one to call and Robbie and his team will be working on a game plan all week. Hopefully it has  a few surprises in it for Celtic.

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sugest you were advocating playing a pressing game it was just my thoughts on how other teams have had success against them.

If you sit in then I think that is just asking for trouble.

I have a feeling that Robbie might well go for the containment option with starts for Halliday and Haring at the expense of maybe Walker and Lee.

He may introduce them later and that might be a better option as neither are the quickest around the pitch and struggle for 90 minutes.

They both have their attributes but I am not sure both will start.

It's a hard one to call and Robbie and his team will be working on a game plan all week. Hopefully it has  a few surprises in it for Celtic.

👍🏻   It’s definitely a thinker for RN.  He’ll need the legs in the middle to match Celtic’s energy. That’s why we need Ginnelly as our get out when we get the ball. He’ll take us up the park. I must say, it’s important the full backs push up when it’s on too.  

If we sit deep in possession, we’re offering them on top of us. 

Edited by Debut 4

7 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Better than my Dave Vanacek for sure and his value is now listed on transfer market as worth £650k 😳

I’m going to have a cupboard full of memorabilia from poor players 😂 I hope Sibbick is a size 10 so I can wear his boots 😂

Bazzas right boot
17 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

were  I’m at also.  If we end up 3 down at half time  then it’s a mistake leaving him on the bench. Start with our strongest and that includes Ginelly

Yip, as always in Glasgow the start to the game is important. 

Start well, the game becomes more in the balance. We played the last Cup final almost perfect. 

Concede early and fold, then as we've seen  too many times in Glasgow it can turn into a shit show all too quickly. 

I really hope we avoid this, just be a complete shitter. 

7 hours ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Think he will have him as an impact sub when legs are tired. He's not long back from injury too so will struggle with match fitness

Think that's why he should play from the start 

Bringing him on in second half suggests trying to save the game . Prefer to try not to be in that position

I thought he was really bright for us yesterday - has the confidence to try the tricks and take a man on - and shoot. I’d start him v sellick without a doubt - could get us a vital goal / assist to get the ugly sister’s sphincter going...

40 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Think that's why he should play from the start 

Bringing him on in second half suggests trying to save the game . Prefer to try not to be in that position

I think that would be risky. He's had 30 minutes in the last 6-8 weeks, there's no way he could last 90. To go out to get an early goal and defend it would be suicidal. If we can contain them for the first half, maybe even get a goal, then we could worry them, then half an hour of Ginnely would keep them occupied in their own half.

51 minutes ago, Rods said:

We need to start on the front foot against this Celtic team. 70 minutes from Ginelly would help. 

Yeah it would also push their fullbacks into their own half here's hoping. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

He’s only been out a handful of weeks - hardly a 3 month plus lay off. 

A bounce game midweek and he’ll be ready to go.

We can’t “save” him as if Celtic start well, get a couple of decisions etc etc it will be game over.

I’m sure I read Robbie confirm last week that at the moment 4-3-3 suits the players we have and that’s what we will be playing now unless we get different players in.

Robbie had better not go all cautious next week. It’s a complete shot to nothing against a team that can’t stand any kind of pressure 

Also - whoever said we don’t have enough pace to press Celtic. Nonsense - you don’t need pace you just need fitness and we should have that.

I think, hope and pray that whilst the QOTS game was an important league game our set up was one which we intend to implement this weekend.

We should be brave. I hate the trying to “contain” teams and then get beaten anyway.

We have nothing to lose. Most of Scotland thinks we will be defeated and if we do, nobody will even bat an eyelid. Its Celtic, theyre expected to win. We should just go for it turn these rat eaters over. 
Mon the Hearts!

On 12/12/2020 at 20:14, fila said:

Need to start , we cannot allow them to build momentum and confidence in the game , get at that defence 

Exactly, why wait and risk going a couple of goals behind to then chuck him on and they are just sitting in. Play him from the start and try and get something we can hold onto.

I don't get the mindset of not starting your strongest team. If it needs changed then fair enough but he might surprise and last the 90.

Got to go for it but think Robbie will try and contain them which is a mistake we make almost every time we play through in Glasgow. Just have a go and if we get beat them at least we can say we gave it our all. Hate when we play to not lose and end up getting dunted 3 or 4-0 anyway. Starting on the back foot makes it very difficult to change mid game.  

2 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Got to go for it but think Robbie will try and contain them which is a mistake we make almost every time we play through in Glasgow. Just have a go and if we get beat them at least we can say we gave it our all. Hate when we play to not lose and end up getting dunted 3 or 4-0 anyway. Starting on the back foot makes it very difficult to change mid game.  

I have a similar concern. Massive pressure on Celtic to deliver, there form is poor. We have nothing to lose but feel we will go for safety first rather than take the game to them.

Morgaro Gomis

If we try and contain we will lose 2 or 3 nil, at a minimum. We aren’t good enough, nor have the players capable, to contain a team like Celtic. 

I don’t think we should go gung-ho either but we need to find a balance between the two. That’s where Neilson’s problem lies but it’s his job to find the solution. 

My opinion is that we need to be rigid in the middle of the park but have wingers pushing their full backs backwards or atleast giving them something to think about whilst giving us an outball. 

5 hours ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

If we try and contain we will lose 2 or 3 nil, at a minimum. We aren’t good enough, nor have the players capable, to contain a team like Celtic. 

I don’t think we should go gung-ho either but we need to find a balance between the two. That’s where Neilson’s problem lies but it’s his job to find the solution. 

My opinion is that we need to be rigid in the middle of the park but have wingers pushing their full backs backwards or atleast giving them something to think about whilst giving us an outball. 

Copy what other teams have done this season to win. There's loads of examples. 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Copy what other teams have done this season to win. There's loads of examples. 

If football is that easy why not copy Liverpool or watch 1970 Brazil teams. 

27 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hehehe ... you know what he means. Don't really agree though as we have to play to our strengths rather than mimic some other team.

5 hours ago, johnking123 said:

We will have to be careful playing him. There is still a whole season to go yet. 

We win the league without him.  We don’t win the cup without him. 

48 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yes, because copying they sides are as easy as copying Ross County or Sparta Prague under 19s right enough. “Alright Wighton; go be the best Mo Salah tonight please, we’ve Berra acting DVD so it’s all good”.  

Celtic are low on confidence right now, there is no doubt of that. Their established  back 4 and keeper still haven't convinced me yet.

That is how we beat them. Take advantage of this. Hit them hard, hit them fast: early. Make them question themselves amd their tactics. Lennon doesn't have the mentality to admit he's wrong and change things up. We go at them the right way, and we could be 2 or 3 up by halftime. 

All that being said, Celtic are still overwhelming favourites for a reason. But they ARE beatable.

The more I think of this the more important I think it is that we score first.  We absolutely can't afford to sit back as they have very dangerous forwards.

I think we start with our strongest side which includes Haring and do everything we can to get on the front foot and stay there.

Got this thread mixed up with Haring.

I'd start them both.

The real experience really needs to stand up.  Gordon, Berra and Naismith.

They will.

On 12/12/2020 at 20:14, fila said:

This is it nailed I reckon 

Sitting back at a shit defence is so wrong 

They have conceded 30 goals last 13 games ..... go for it 

Howdy Doody Jambo

If we can go there and silence their fan's, but seriously last year's game plan was going well up to a point, we just need a bit of luck hopefully on the day we turn up and there big players don't, Lenny goes nuts kicking water bottles, if Gino is fit then just start him 

Ginnelly has to start and then give us as much as he can before coming off, as he cant be fully match fit. If we bring him on as a sub say at half time with the game tight and then it maybe goes to extra time he might not last the pace, so we should play our best team from kick off and then see how the game pans out from there. We can then use the 5 subs wisely as we will have a strong bench too. I think we have a real chance but it will be tough.

A_A wehatethehibs

Yep def think it makes more sense to start him than from the bench. We should have as much pace as possible on the pitch at the start to fly out the traps at Celtic and rock them. I’d even consider starting both White and Ginelly on either wing, our 2 fastest players. Why not. Ginelly might blow himself out by half time - then bring Walker on as the fresh legs.