Ginnelly

Jim Panzee

scott herbertson
14 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I used to think that until I saw us lose at home in the league to East Stirling 40 years ago. 🥴

Please don't mention that game again Dave

I come over all depressed at the thought o f it.

image.jpeg.9e2152c2ae514e4aa3c38c58e795a3d7.jpeg

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

• Seymour M Hersh

12 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Losing to Forfar in the cup at home was the worst for me, 

Yes and even the Forfar players backing themselves @ 8/1 to beat Hearts.

17 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

They both played 4 games in 8 days, neither looked particularly tired, just another excuse really. 

4 games in 8 is quite a lot including the travel and international games - I hadn't realised it was that many. given that, am surprised RN didn't at least rest Boyce.

also - to someone else's point - probs not fair to compare the game now to days of old - different pace / demands. be interesting if someone could work out the miles covered by a midfielder in 'the olden days' - think these days its about 7 - 8 miles?

13 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Please don't mention that game again Dave

I come over all depressed at the thought o f it.

image.jpeg.9e2152c2ae514e4aa3c38c58e795a3d7.jpeg

It was very depressing. There weren’t many left in the stadium at the end. The 50 or so East Stirling supporters enjoyed their day in the big city though. 

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

It was very depressing. There weren’t many left in the stadium at the end. The 50 or so East Stirling supporters enjoyed their day in the big city though. 

Most depressing for me was that me and my mates hooted with laughter when their team came out as they looked like a Saturday amateur team, bald guys little fat guys. We were doing our impressions of the laughing policeman song

By the end. it was as Bob Monkhouse said in his  classic two liner...

“People used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well they're not laughing now.”

20 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s gone but the medical department isn’t. 

The Doctor left, not sure if anything else changed. I know for a fact Stendel was the aghast at some of the decisions made before he got there and gave the department both barrels one afternoon. 

Shocking that they get away with it,makes us look like a big club from the outside only.

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

Most depressing for me was that me and my mates hooted with laughter when their team came out as they looked like a Saturday amateur team, bald guys little fat guys. We were doing our impressions of the laughing policeman song

“People used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well they're not laughing now.”

We drew at home with Queens Park either just before or after that match as well. Halcyon days. 🥴

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We drew at home with Queens Park either just before or after that match as well. Halcyon days. 🥴

We did , but we were a financial basket case back then. We don't have that excuse now.

5 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

We did , but we were a financial basket case back then. We don't have that excuse now.

Lucky we don't have to play East Stirling or Queens Park now I suppose. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Lucky we don't have to play East Stirling or Queens Park now I suppose. 

I regard Alloa as being of similar pedigree we will see how we do by 9pm.

As an aside around that era the new year Derby was postponed so I went to the Falkirk Derby instead , the Shire won so I don't think they were that bad a side at that time.

14 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

As an aside around that era the new year Derby was postponed so I went to the Falkirk Derby instead , the Shire won so I don't think they were that bad a side at that time.

Alloa are struggling at the moment so defeat tonight would be a particularly shocking result. 

scott herbertson
38 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

They played some decent football in that 0-1 game. We were just used to a century of superiority and had the arrogance to think we should beat them without trying.....

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

4 games in 8 is quite a lot including the travel and international games - I hadn't realised it was that many. given that, am surprised RN didn't at least rest Boyce.

also - to someone else's point - probs not fair to compare the game now to days of old - different pace / demands. be interesting if someone could work out the miles covered by a midfielder in 'the olden days' - think these days its about 7 - 8 miles?

Nobody has that data from the old players I don’t think. 
4 in 8 days is a lot but they looked ok, it can affect your decision making I suppose. Both played 90 minutes on Friday which may well have been better to have been less. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, ford donald said:

Shocking that they get away with it,makes us look like a big club from the outside only.

I think anyone watching the documentary would have that confirmed, amateur hour in all aspects. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Shamelessly nicked by the recent Joker movie. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nobody has that data from the old players I don’t think. 
4 in 8 days is a lot but they looked ok, it can affect your decision making I suppose. Both played 90 minutes on Friday which may well have been better to have been less. 

I wonder if it took the edge off them - e.g. Boyce directing a fairly soft head straight to the keeper. would a sharper Boyce have placed it either side? All ifs and buts. You'd hope  we'd have a squad big and good enough to slot in to give players a rest.

lets hope for a reaction from the players v Alloa

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I wonder if it took the edge off them - e.g. Boyce directing a fairly soft head straight to the keeper. would a sharper Boyce have placed it either side? All ifs and buts. You'd hope  we'd have a squad big and good enough to slot in to give players a rest.

lets hope for a reaction from the players v Alloa

Possibly. 
Going to watch it again before tonight’s game just to see if it was as bad as it seemed at the time. 

The White Cockade
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

That was a real shocker 0-0 I think

I was so pissed off I walked fuming all the way back to Gracemount after the game instead of getting the bus

The White Cockade

but back on topic I think we will do better when we get Ginnelly back fully fit

Looks a class above Frear and Roberts who don't appear to have his pace or positive attitude

to beat men and get to the byeline

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Possibly. 
Going to watch it again before tonight’s game just to see if it was as bad as it seemed at the time. 

absolute glutton for punishment :) 

SectionDJambo
16 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Losing to Forfar in the cup at home was the worst for me, 

If my memory is serving me well, Alex MacDonald got the manager's job after that game, even though he was caretaker manager for it. Wallace was convinced he was still the right man to take the job and wanted the team to have immediate certainty about who was going to be in charge of the team.

Can you imagine this place if we appointed a manager who had just lost to Forfar Athletic, at home, in the cup.

Just now, SectionDJambo said:

If my memory is serving me well, Alex MacDonald got the manager's job after that game, even though he was caretaker manager for it. Wallace was convinced he was still the right man to take the job and wanted the team to have immediate certainty about who was going to be in charge of the team.

Can you imagine this place if we appointed a manager who had just lost to Forfar Athletic, at home, in the cup.

Carnage bud, 😦total meltdown.

Crazy fact here that one of the Forfar players drank in the oak bar, some banter with him that saturday night.

SectionDJambo
39 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Carnage bud, 😦total meltdown.

Crazy fact here that one of the Forfar players drank in the oak bar, some banter with him that saturday night.

And Stevie Hancock, an ex Hearts player, scored the only goal.

Was this not the game after which that the great Jambo journalist, John Fairgrieve, suggested in his match report that Hearts would be as well turning Tynecastle into a car park?

57 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Was this not the game after which that the great Jambo journalist, John Fairgrieve, suggested in his match report that Hearts would be as well turning Tynecastle into a car park?

Probably the lowest point playing wise in the 50 years I have watched Hearts.  I say playing wise because Dens 86 was the lowest feeling. 

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Stevie still says it was one of those games where Hearts had all of the play and he scored Forfar’s only chance. Football can be like that occasionally. 

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Every time someone mentions John Fairgrieve this comes to mind. In Hearts centenary year JF said in his Sunday Mail column that it was in the stars that Hearts would win the Scottish Cup. We got knocked out in the first round and the next week he said he was being asked how this could have happened. His reply was that it was in his book " Hearts and their many near misses". He concluded by saying it was a very big book.

On 23/11/2020 at 16:31, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Not really Tosh. You bash on and raise CL any time you want to make excuses for your hero, but don’t try to take the moral high ground with your “move on” sermon when someone criticises CL for the shite job he did!

Absolutely this

We need this guy back ASAP. 

There is absolutely no pace in that squad apart from him. 

Frear can run but cannot play football in any sort of way. 

11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I'm sure we lost 1-0 to them at Hampden same season. What a nightmare  period that was for us.

1 minute ago, Lido said:

I'm sure we lost 1-0 to them at Hampden same season. What a nightmare  period that was for us.

We did. It was hellish in those days. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Where is he now?

Ine of those players who fell away into

obscu after leaving hearts.. thing is, I don’t believe he would have had he remained.. 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Ine of those players who fell away into

obscu after leaving hearts.. thing is, I don’t believe he would have had he remained.. 

just googled it. St pat’s in the Irish League. 🥴

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

just googled it. St pat’s in the Irish League. 🥴

Shite level, I think boys like billy lose the motivation to continue to improve, they’ve reached the leak in terms of playing for the team they support. I think if we’d retained him he’d be at a higher level

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Shite level, I think boys like billy lose the motivation to continue to improve, they’ve reached the leak in terms of playing for the team they support. I think if we’d retained him he’d be at a higher level

I liked him as a player to be honest. A decent option. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I liked him as a player to be honest. A decent option. 

agreed. Honestly billy king from 2014 would stroll into this team.. with the exception of maybe Gordon, Kingsley, Haring most of them would

Pasquale for King

Anyway, loved the trip down memory lane guys but let’s get this thread back on topic, there’s plenty other threads to talk about poor performances in the past. Am I right 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔😆?
No way I would take a risk with Ginnelly on that awful Alloa pitch on Saturday. 

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Anyway, loved the trip down memory lane guys but let’s get this thread back on topic, there’s plenty other threads to talk about poor performances in the past. Am I right 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔😆?
No way I would take a risk with Ginnelly on that awful Alloa pitch on Saturday. 

Agreed. We shouldn’t need him 

They guy has hardly played but already looks a key player given some of our performances. His pace and directness changes the whole dynamic of the team.  It’s feels like a player you’ve had for seasons and are desperate to get him back in because you know the effect the has.

Players like him change the way the midfield can see the game and how to respond when he takes the ball and runs with it. 

Roberts and Frear cut in and cramp up the park, forcing the midfield to take the ball off them further from goal than they’d like.  It’s different with Ginnelly. He gets up into the last third quite often and his team mates have confidence in him to take players on, or they are in an advanced position to offer an option. 

6 hours ago, David Black said:

Every time someone mentions John Fairgrieve this comes to mind. In Hearts centenary year JF said in his Sunday Mail column that it was in the stars that Hearts would win the Scottish Cup. We got knocked out in the first round and the next week he said he was being asked how this could have happened. His reply was that it was in his book " Hearts and their many near misses". He concluded by saying it was a very big book.

Sure we lost in semi final to Dundee United after a replay in 1974

10 hours ago, airthjambo said:

Sure we lost in semi final to Dundee United after a replay in 1974

You may well be right, my memory has gone the same way as my hair.