Striker required

NB GIN

2 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

Looking at the side last night I actually thought the team was built around getting Naismith in the starting X1 rather than Wighton. Naismith hasn't had a lot of minutes in pre-season (and it showed last night), Wighton has and has played up front in them, and Walker by all accounts seems to be thriving in the number 10 role.

As bright as Ginnelly looked last night, the chronic lack of width on the left hindered us I think and added more pressure on Ginnelly to create something for us.  Shunting Walker out there to make way for Naismith when clearly he is best in a more central role was a reason for that.

You’ve hit nail on the head. Naismith was shoehorned in last night resulting in two number 10s, enduring a lack of overall width on the left. This isolated wighton and left Ginnelly as our main threat. 

As you’ve stated it was to get Naismith minutes but I found it strange considering it’s been walker and a left winger all throughout pre season. 

Generally a 1-0 win and 75 mins for Naismith is a good thing though and I’d expect to see a left winger coming into the team v Cowdenbeath and Raith. Should hopefully then free up a bit more space for Wighton. 

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Greedy Jambo

• busby1985

• jr ewing

It's all well and good stamping your feet and demanding a striker but there's zero point in bringing in someone who is no better than Wighton. If you know of a 30 goal a season man sitting waiting on a call from Hearts please let Robbie know. 

Striker is the most difficult position to fill, especially at the level we're at now. In Boyce and Naismith we have two international strikers which is unheard of at this level, with Wighton as back up and goals in our midfield unless we find a journeyman or some young kid I doubt we'll be breaking the bank for a 5th striker.

2 hours ago, NB GIN said:

100% spot on

Uche may not be the most prolific but he creates and scores more than this Wighton ever will. 

Correct.

We need a striker with a bit more power and strength in that division.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We can make as many excuses for Wighton as we like,  he is not a victim,  evidence is he lacks composure in front of goal and has had years to fix it. Shit,  end of 

Takeshi kovac
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

We should be playing with 2 strikers at this level. 

Few teams play with 2 out and out strikers nowadays , I like the 4231 system the problem we had last night was the lack of balance. If we sort that issue out then no matter what side we play down there should at least 3 players attacking the ball in the box

Rick Sanchez

Happy with Wighton as third choice behind Boycey and a new striker. He'd even be fourth choice behind Naismith.

If we sign another striker we should have let him leave. Neilson was asked about that and said he was part of his plans so...🤷‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

It's all well and good stamping your feet and demanding a striker but there's zero point in bringing in someone who is no better than Wighton. If you know of a 30 goal a season man sitting waiting on a call from Hearts please let Robbie know. 

Striker is the most difficult position to fill, especially at the level we're at now. In Boyce and Naismith we have two international strikers which is unheard of at this level, with Wighton as back up and goals in our midfield unless we find a journeyman or some young kid I doubt we'll be breaking the bank for a 5th striker.

Only need one that can score more than Wighton. 

10 minutes ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Few teams play with 2 out and out strikers nowadays , I like the 4231 system the problem we had last night was the lack of balance. If we sort that issue out then no matter what side we play down there should at least 3 players attacking the ball in the box

Correct. Modern football is far more fluid, the transition from defence to attack and the ability of forward players to move into space is far more important.

Liverpool are the perfect example, they don't play with a conventional centre forward. Firmino's role is to drag defenders out of position so that the wide attackers Mane and Salah, can make penetrating diagonal runs. 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Understand what you are saying, but the trouble is we have been saying the same thing ever since Wighton signed.

Kenny Anderson, El Hassanoui, Malaury Martin, Connor Sammon, Uche, Loic Damour - someone on here would've said "there's a player in there somewhere".

Unfortunately, there rarely is.

Tynecastlesmychurch
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Understand what you are saying, but the trouble is we have been saying the same thing ever since Wighton signed.

Fair enough. Who knows we could end up bringing someone else in! 

The Old Tolbooth

Having a look on the TransferMarket.com website for free agents, and there's a lad on there called Omar Bogle who fits the bill I reckon, he's a big imposing striker who holds the ball up and brings others into play, so a bit like Uche really, he's 6ft 3 and a free agent right now by the look of things after Cardiff let him go. 

Don't get me wrong, Sturridge, Mandzukic, Welbeck, Niasse, and Sanogo are all listed as well, but I'm trying to keep it real here :D 

41 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Correct. Modern football is far more fluid, the transition from defence to attack and the ability of forward players to move into space is far more important.

Liverpool are the perfect example, they don't play with a conventional centre forward. Firmino's role is to drag defenders out of position so that the wide attackers Mane and Salah, can make penetrating diagonal runs. 

That’s ok at their level with faster, stronger , more intelligent players. 

They probably don’t worry about it but it’s contributed to the dying art of centre forward play, it hurts teams more at our level who try to replicate the way top sides play, because you see our play not quite being good enough or competent.

Boyce is the closest at the moment to a proper CF.  We need that guy hanging around the penalty area, not doing most his work outside it.  You look at last night.  While I thought we slipped the ball about well at times, most balls after getting it wide were more hopeful bar the odd one being more particular into someone.  

Quite happy the way we pushed men into the box, it’s been a long time coming! but we need to be more clever and subtle when we get around the box.  Seemed a bit rushed at times.  

MR INCREDIBLE
15 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I will book mark this.

I can see him going to Arbroath on loan before the season is out.

What have Arbroath done to us. 

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Happy with Wighton as third choice behind Boycey and a new striker. He'd even be fourth choice behind Naismith.

If we sign another striker we should have let him leave. Neilson was asked about that and said he was part of his plans so...🤷‍♂️

He'd be 4th choice even if there was only 2 in front of him.

Fort Vallance
3 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

He couldn't keep Connor out of the Arbroath team.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

We don't play "modern football" in Scotland.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, jambo3tevie said:

It should not be a problem, Walker should be playing in the number 10 role behind Boyce and we should be playing with two out and out wingers in the 4231 formation. Naismith needs to earn his spot back in the team by performing to his usual high standards on the pitch.

It shouldn’t be but trying to get Naismith and Walker in the team is, either Naismith at 9 or back in midfield might work. Both with a sitter like Haring or Halliday should be ok at home to some of the dross we will be playing. 

1 hour ago, iainmac said:

Kenny Anderson, El Hassanoui, Malaury Martin, Connor Sammon, Uche, Loic Damour - someone on here would've said "there's a player in there somewhere".

Unfortunately, there rarely is.

The same old suspects are on here making excuses for Wighton. 😏

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Sorry mate that is irrelevant to the standard of player in Scottish football.

5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Naismith and Boyce are more than fine with Wighton as well. 

We can't carry 4/5 strikers atm, no team does. 

The correct answer! 

Marc McNulty would've been a good shout but he's moved from Reading on loan to Dundee Utd on 5 October!  We should keep an eye on his availability. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Monsignor said:

Marc McNulty would've been a good shout but he's moved from Reading on loan to Dundee Utd on 5 October!  We should keep an eye on his availability. 

:bolt:

1 hour ago, Rods said:

we have a back up striker for Boyce. Neilson just has to tell Naismith he is not needed as a number 10 he is needed as a striker.

This.  

Naismith v Boyce for the striker role

Walker v Roberts for the no 10 role 

Guest ToqueJambo

Thought he put himself about much better in the caley game. Got into good positions but lacks confidence in front of goal. He needs that first goal.

I’d prefer Naismith up front though if not Boyce. Naisy would be first pick up front for scotland right bow if properly match fit. Seems a waste to have him playing deeper when we have walker there.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

He scored 3 in 5 for them last season so they’d probably be delighted. Just needs to start showing that form for us.

First time on today and have to say after last night it is quite obvious we are in need of a striker. We can't expect Boyce to do it all himself when he's back. With him out the team for a while on International duty we have to be looking at getting someone in. Wighton just doesn't look the part, even against a weakened Inverness so we have an issue. There must be dozens and dozens of strikers looking for a club at the moment and I don't think they'll be too hard to deal with under the current circumstances. I am at the stage where i don't care who or where a striker comes from. McNulty wouldn't have been a bad shout short-term. I'd even take Jason Cummings if it was possible. Anyone just to get the ball in the net.

Away from strikers, it's also pretty obvious we need a solid central defender in as well. I was edgy watching Popescu against a weaker Inverness team. Sure, it will take a bit of time to gel but the fact that they were weaker than they will be once their injury situation changes, I find it a bit of a concern. Souttar and Berra will be out for a very long time and it should be a priority to get someone in as soon as possible. Hallkett had a decent game but he's never been consistent, purely because he's not an out and out defender.

Finally, it was a bit like watching a Robbie team from before at the end. Inverness created two decent chances in the dying minutes and as I've said for years, it became a familiar pattern back in the day when we lost plenty late goals under his stewardship. We got away with it last night but chances like that from a team with better strikers could end up being our downfall. We neet control a game in the last five minutes. Other than all that, happy with a win and it's a decent start. Hopefully once all the players get to know each other better we can become a solid unit and everyone digs in when needed.

2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

First time on today and have to say after last night it is quite obvious we are in need of a striker. We can't expect Boyce to do it all himself when he's back. With him out the team for a while on International duty we have to be looking at getting someone in. Wighton just doesn't look the part, even against a weakened Inverness so we have an issue. There must be dozens and dozens of strikers looking for a club at the moment and I don't think they'll be too hard to deal with under the current circumstances. I am at the stage where i don't care who or where a striker comes from. McNulty wouldn't have been a bad shout short-term. I'd even take Jason Cummings if it was possible. Anyone just to get the ball in the net.

Away from strikers, it's also pretty obvious we need a solid central defender in as well. I was edgy watching Popescu against a weaker Inverness team. Sure, it will take a bit of time to gel but the fact that they were weaker than they will be once their injury situation changes, I find it a bit of a concern. Souttar and Berra will be out for a very long time and it should be a priority to get someone in as soon as possible. Hallkett had a decent game but he's never been consistent, purely because he's not an out and out defender.

Finally, it was a bit like watching a Robbie team from before at the end. Inverness created two decent chances in the dying minutes and as I've said for years, it became a familiar pattern back in the day when we lost plenty late goals under his stewardship. We got away with it last night but chances like that from a team with better strikers could end up being our downfall. We neet control a game in the last five minutes. Other than all that, happy with a win and it's a decent start. Hopefully once all the players get to know each other better we can become a solid unit and everyone digs in when needed.

Berra not around 4-5 weeks away from returning?

The Old Tolbooth
5 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

121039459_1054277895014929_187066199725959586_o.jpg

Surely he wouldn't come back when he claimed he was racially abused the last time he was here. 

Just now, Jim Panzee said:

Berra not around 4-5 weeks away from returning?

Heard around 7-8 weeks but not confirmed. Even if it is anything between 4 to 8 weeks you can be sure he'll need to catch up with team-mates regarding fitness and training. I reckon it'll be mid to late November before he gets a regular game but if he's ahead in his fitness then maybe 5/6 and possibly sub appearances.

maroonlegions
8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Surely he wouldn't come back when he claimed he was racially abused the last time he was here. 

Aye you would think so ,but there are still no signs when punters will be allowed back in football grounds.Maybe that could be a marker for him.

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

Gonçalves!?

That was a weird one. I never at any time heard any racist stuff against him so I was a bit shocked when I read that at the time. Some fans gave him stick for his contributions and sometimes that can be mis-read as racism.  I liked him. He wasn't scared to get stuck in, unlike a few of his team-mates who were happy to pass the buck. He also scored a few goals and even if he missed chances, he didn't hide and went back again and again. We've had a lot worse since he was here.

The Old Tolbooth
6 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Gonçalves!?

That was a weird one. I never at any time heard any racist stuff against him so I was a bit shocked when I read that at the time. Some fans gave him stick for his contributions and sometimes that can be mis-read as racism.  I liked him. He wasn't scared to get stuck in, unlike a few of his team-mates who were happy to pass the buck. He also scored a few goals and even if he missed chances, he didn't hide and went back again and again. We've had a lot worse since he was here.

Totally agree mate, he wasn't the worst we've had by a long shot and he chipped in with a decent return of goals too, I'd have him back tbh. 

maroonlegions
10 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Totally agree mate, he wasn't the worst we've had by a long shot and he chipped in with a decent return of goals too, I'd have him back tbh. 

Got to be better than Wighton.

29 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Heard around 7-8 weeks but not confirmed. Even if it is anything between 4 to 8 weeks you can be sure he'll need to catch up with team-mates regarding fitness and training. I reckon it'll be mid to late November before he gets a regular game but if he's ahead in his fitness then maybe 5/6 and possibly sub appearances.

yes mate - 7-8 weeks ago - but this was said 2-3 weeks ago? I think if I read right, it's a 2-3 week lay off to let the injury heal and 4-5 weeks training to catch up. 

3 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Got to be better than Wighton.

agree - as much as I'd like Wighton to work out, I'd play Isma ahead of him.

42 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Agree with the last paragraph.

The last twenty minutes or so we seemed to fall away instead of trying to kill the game off.

We seemed to get very nervy trying to almost run the clock down against a weakened Inverness side,

35 minutes ago, jambonian said:

This backs up what you are saying. End of November probably at the earliest.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-christophe-berra-facing-longer-spell-out-through-injury-2988386

52 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Gonçalves!?

Was it not his wife/family that he claimed got racially abused?

Id take Goncalves over Wighton any day of the week, sorry but he just isnt good enough, I know he tries but the guy is rubbish, also naismith is a waste of a jersey unless he is playing up top imo.

Bazzas right boot

Ima a was good for us. 

Quite a versatile forward as well. 

Take him back no problem. 

Got a lot of abuse for no good reason imo. 

Leveins Battalion

Isma was shite.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honestly this place,One minute were bigging up Wighton the next rewriting history about how good Isma was.🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The same old suspects are on here making excuses for Wighton. 😏

Same old suspects are slaughtering our own players too

2 hours ago, Monsignor said:

I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole and the reason will soon be made evident if rumours I’ve heard are true. 

Edited by Jamhammer

15 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Isma was shite.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honestly this place,One minute were bigging up Wighton the next rewriting history about how good Isma was.🤷‍♂️

scored a good 15 goals in a year last time, would back him to grab a fair few more in this league