• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Greedy Jambo

• busby1985

• jr ewing

Berra than you

With regard to Isma, 15 goals and 3 assists in 42 games is a good return at our level. Never understood the negativity towards him.

21 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

With regard to Isma, 15 goals and 3 assists in 42 games is a good return at our level. Never understood the negativity towards him.

Always thought he was decent. So did all of the support around me. 

Just now, jr ewing said:

Always thought he was decent. So did all of the support around me. 

I'd always pick a trier over a shirker. Isma may not have been up there with some of our best forwards over the years but compared to some we've had since he was here there's no disputing his goals tally. He would miss a sitter (what player hasn't?) but unlike a lot of other players who would hide if they'd missed, he would go back in again as well as chase lost causes. I remember him in one particular game where he missed a good chance, the ball broke away and the opposition player ran up the park attacking our goal, Isma chased him all the way back to our left-back position and managed to get a tackle in. Most other players would've given that up as a lost cause. I'm not advocating we should sign him if he's available, i'm saying that if we had a few more triers like him we may not have found ourselves in the position we've been in over the last 18 months or so.

58 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

According to the EEN Neilson has no plans to bring in another striker before January. 😕

At this rate we won’t need one as we’ll be lucky to play 5 games before Xmas with all these positive tests coming back.

1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

At this rate we won’t need one as we’ll be lucky to play 5 games before Xmas with all these positive tests coming back.

Very true 😏

maroonsgotop
2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

According to the EEN Neilson has no plans to bring in another striker before January. 😕

that's a concern

Montgomery Brewster
21 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Id fancy the opposition manager to score more than Wighton

Correct. Should be nowhere near Hearts. Utter tom Kite

joondalupjambo
4 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Surely he wouldn't come back when he claimed he was racially abused the last time he was here. 

He could well do if he has had no better offers and we can give him a decent wedge.  Money, money, money.....

2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

was that not based on Robbie saying that the #9 was only free because no one wanted it though?

not read the article but that's usually how they work, take a day old statement and rehash it in a more stark fashion.

Only an injury and a suspension from disaster on that front. Now is the time to do something about that not January.

Edited by Deevers

24 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

He could well do if he has had no better offers and we can give him a decent wedge.  Money, money, money.....

He said he would leave the #9 shirt vacant until January at least. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, jambonian said:

First time on today and have to say after last night it is quite obvious we are in need of a striker. We can't expect Boyce to do it all himself when he's back. With him out the team for a while on International duty we have to be looking at getting someone in. Wighton just doesn't look the part, even against a weakened Inverness so we have an issue. There must be dozens and dozens of strikers looking for a club at the moment and I don't think they'll be too hard to deal with under the current circumstances. I am at the stage where i don't care who or where a striker comes from. McNulty wouldn't have been a bad shout short-term. I'd even take Jason Cummings if it was possible. Anyone just to get the ball in the net.

Away from strikers, it's also pretty obvious we need a solid central defender in as well. I was edgy watching Popescu against a weaker Inverness team. Sure, it will take a bit of time to gel but the fact that they were weaker than they will be once their injury situation changes, I find it a bit of a concern. Souttar and Berra will be out for a very long time and it should be a priority to get someone in as soon as possible. Hallkett had a decent game but he's never been consistent, purely because he's not an out and out defender.

Finally, it was a bit like watching a Robbie team from before at the end. Inverness created two decent chances in the dying minutes and as I've said for years, it became a familiar pattern back in the day when we lost plenty late goals under his stewardship. We got away with it last night but chances like that from a team with better strikers could end up being our downfall. We neet control a game in the last five minutes. Other than all that, happy with a win and it's a decent start. Hopefully once all the players get to know each other better we can become a solid unit and everyone digs in when needed.

A winning team? Indeed. It's the first game so we do need to give players time to gel - at least more than one game before analysing them too deeply. While Caley missed chances, we missed even better ones earlier that could have killed them off in the first half.

All of our Championship rivals would bite your hand off for Naismith, Boyce or even Wighton. I can't even name the strikers the other teams will be relying on. The formation we look like playing means we don't need 4 first-team strikers to choose from. Roberts will fill in there if needed. Walker will very possibly end up with more goals than any of our strikers. In the current financial situation, it makes sense to start with what we have before making the squad any bigger for a league we should romp with the players we have.

Edited by ToqueJambo

55 minutes ago, Gav M said:

was that not based on Robbie saying that the #9 was only free because no one wanted it though?

not read the article but that's usually how they work, take a day old statement and rehash it in a more stark fashion.

Maybe, but he was quoted in saying that he was happy with what he has got, strikers wise. 

It is the EEN though. 😏 

4 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Isma was shite.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honestly this place,One minute were bigging up Wighton the next rewriting history about how good Isma was.🤷‍♂️

Decent played isma if you don’t think he is better than Wighton then please get medical help ASAP 

1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Only an injury and a suspension from disaster on that front. Now is the time to do something about that not January.

Correct

4 hours ago, brux said:

Same old suspects are slaughtering our own players too

It’s tough love

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Maybe, but he was quoted in saying that he was happy with what he has got, strikers wise. 

It is the EEN though. 😏 

Most of Robbies press interviews are bland and without any hoopla. I wouldn't read too much into them. Hes always played things down

Leveins Battalion
9 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Decent played isma if you don’t think he is better than Wighton then please get medical help ASAP 

Think you maybe have the wrong end of the stick,Wighton would not get a game in my 7 a side team.He is absolutely gash.

Gordon Ramsay
12 hours ago, Deevers said:

I've got no doubt we'll get stung with this. Remember what happened when Levein fannied about with the goalkeepers last summer.

14 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I've got no doubt we'll get stung with this. Remember what happened when Levein fannied about with the goalkeepers last summer.

I hope not.  It’s pretty clear after Friday that’s where the weakness is.  We had loads of possession and created enough chances in the first half to have been out of sight by half time. The lack of a cutting edge up front is obvious. 

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

I hope not.  It’s pretty clear after Friday that’s where the weakness is.  We had loads of possession and created enough chances in the first half to have been out of sight by half time. The lack of a cutting edge up front is obvious. 

Boyce. 

26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Boyce. 

Yep, he’ll do the job, no doubt about that. What worries me is what happens when he is not available.

1 minute ago, Deevers said:

Yep, he’ll do the job, no doubt about that. What worries me is what happens when he is not available.

Don’t disagree. 

11 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Now we have a Left Back as I’ve been saying we badly need a Centre Back and at least 2 goal scorers.

Kingsley can play centre back as well so I think we are now finished our defensive recruitment. 

16 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Now we have a Left Back as I’ve been saying we badly need a Centre Back and at least 2 goal scorers.

We could play Haring at centre back at a push.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Kingsley can play centre back as well so I think we are now finished our defensive recruitment. 

And we play who at left back. The options are not good enough.

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

We could play Haring at centre back at a push.

Here we go again moving players about which weakens their position.

14 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

And we play who at left back. The options are not good enough.

They are the options we will have. 

Why the lack of loanees. How are we going to fair with Wighton as a striker. Where are the goals going to come from ?

Are we going to rely on Halkett & Haring. Robbie wants attacking football which is great but who is going to score the goals.

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

Why the lack of loanees. How are we going to fair with Wighton as a striker. Where are the goals going to come from ?

Are we going to rely on Halkett & Haring. Robbie wants attacking football which is great but who is going to score the goals.

Boyce. 

Leveins Battalion

Would imagine if after the 3 Betfred Cup games that if Wighton continues to be the goal shy striker he has

proven to be that we will step up our efforts to replace him.

Hectormasson
21 hours ago, Berra than you said:

Ditto and some good goals too,maybe because his goal done us at Hampden in final??

18 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

A winning team? Indeed. It's the first game so we do need to give players time to gel - at least more than one game before analysing them too deeply. While Caley missed chances, we missed even better ones earlier that could have killed them off in the first half.

All of our Championship rivals would bite your hand off for Naismith, Boyce or even Wighton. I can't even name the strikers the other teams will be relying on. The formation we look like playing means we don't need 4 first-team strikers to choose from. Roberts will fill in there if needed. Walker will very possibly end up with more goals than any of our strikers. In the current financial situation, it makes sense to start with what we have before making the squad any bigger for a league we should romp with the players we have.

Yes it might be fine for the Championship but we have Cup competitions to take part in also. It was fairly evident to me watching the Inverness game we are in need of an out and out striker. A few good crosses came into the box yet too often there was no-one there to receive them. And that's against a weakened Inverness team. Against Premier opposition in Cup games later in the tournaments this could be our downfall. Can't rely on Boyce doing it, can't guarantee he'll stay fit. Same with Naismith which leaves Wighton who's never set the heather on fire. 

I don't disagree that this squad should be good enough for the Championship, however there's more to the season than the Championship. Also need another solid defender in. Souttar injured long-term, Berra injured and the young lad that went on loan leaves only Halkett who's not a natural defender and the ex-St Mirren guy Popescu. Smith can fill in but then that weakens the right-back area. Even someone on a short-term deal would do for now.

Edited by jambonian

33 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Boyce. 

We’ll need him to play like he’s never played before. 20+ goals this season ?

Just now, mitch41 said:

We’ll need him to play like he’s never played before. 20+ goals this season ?

he's already managed that twice in the top league

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

he's already managed that twice in the top league

Remember we are in the Championship with less league games.

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

Remember we are in the Championship with less league games.

true, but also against much poorer opposition

5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Eggs in one basket springs to mind.

Naismith, Walker, Haring, Halkett and Lee can all chip in with a handful of goals and have the stats to prove it, but Boyce will be our main goalscorer yes

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

I may be wrong but I can't imagine there will be many free scoring strikers just waiting to be loaned out.  Any names come to mind?

Edited by JamboAl

SomethingAboutObua
57 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Would imagine if after the 3 Betfred Cup games that if Wighton continues to be the goal shy striker he has

proven to be that we will step up our efforts to replace him.

I think you'll be right. Don't see us signing anyone right now and Neilson's confirmed it, but if Wighton can't score against weaker cup and league opposition and without the fan pressure,  I think Neilson will struggle to wait until January to get someone else in. Unless Kirk Jr's ready to step up?