Striker required

NB GIN

Leveins Battalion

Robbie has been used to Shankland banging them in,pretty sure he knows Wighton will never cut it at Hearts.

I expect us to bring in a striker.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Greedy Jambo

• busby1985

• jr ewing

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think Neilson is giving Wighton a chance in the league cup before committing to another striker. Seems sensible.

This, and we wont sign another ( IMO) until Wighton is shipped out once RN has confirmed to himself he isn't good enough .

We should also have enough goals in us to see us back out of the Championship

kingantti1874

Agree we need a player who can break the game, Boyce will make a big difference but I’d really like a sow or zeefuik type in that squad

Naismith should play up front or not at all.

I have no problem with Neilson trying to get Wighton opportunities and have no problem with him featuring. My problem comes with weakening the team to do so. Wighton can come on off the bench once games are won and the opposition tired. Let him have the last twenty to try get some goals and build confidence. Playing him as the lone striker whilst moving Walker, our best player potentially, out wide to make way for him is wrong. Naismith our only goal threat carrying striker being asked to play in the 10 to give Wighton the chance is also daft. 

This is an area that should have been the number 1 priority when RN was putting team together.

The last 2 games against ICT, the difference was Uche.

We are going to come across a lot of defenders like Brad Mackay in the division and we are going to need to have a bit more of a physical presence up front as an option. 

When we were in Championship last time, we had Sow and latterly Zeefuik who were both able to stand up to the physical aspects of the division. In Sow we had pace and both knew where the net was.

Our current strikers are not if a similar physical stature and in Naismith and Boyce, are prone to injuries. Wighton and all due respect to the lad us not someone I would want to be relying on to get us the goals we need.

We are definitely a striker short

Bazzas right boot

Naismith and Boyce are more than fine with Wighton as well. 

We can't carry 4/5 strikers atm, no team does. 

upgotheheads
10 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Wighton isn't the answer. Put in a shift but quality is poor. 

I think his quality on the ball is not too bad, his quality as a striker is in doubt though. He put in a decent shift around the box but doesn't look like someone who will ferret out a goal in tight areas where it maters. Robbo he's not.

10 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Hopefully get someone in this week.....Wighton is never a CF in  million years.

maybe RN can coach it into him, but I doubt it. if he could just get a couple of goals we might see a differenc but the longer it goes...

10 hours ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

Jeezus! One game in! Give the lad a chance. We created plenty of chances and on any other day would have scored 3 or 4 easily. We’ll create plenty. All the lad needs is a goal or two and that I’ll do his confidence all the good. If not just remember we’ve got Boycie, Naisy and Walker in attack! 

Nothing to worry about! 

I'm with this, there were a handful of occasions when the ball was pinging around the six yard box and nobody could get a touch on it. Naismith didn't have his best game either. 

6 hours ago, cosanostra said:

We definitely need to get someone in. 

Wighton just doesn't look up to it. 

If something happens to Boyce, we're in deep trouble.

Wighton of this season is an improvement on last, I think he had a decent game but he's not the penalty-box striker we need.

12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Naismith and Boyce are injury prone. If they were fit and healthy, no problem but Naismith has missed too many games over last 2 seasons and Boyce has also had issues with ligament injuries as well as carrying an injury making him ineffective towards the end of last season 

No one is talking about carrying a massive number of strikers but we need to look at someone who will give us a different option and who can chip in with goals 

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Wighton looks if he doesn't actually want the ball at times. 

He will never be the answer imo. 

There you have it. Not mentally robust enough for this club im afraid.

The Apprentice
10 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Bring Sow or Zeefuik back

It's amazing how you can identify a particular poster even with a change of username.

I can see it now - its the year 2050 and Hearts are crying out for a no.9, JiH reckons Zeefuik could do a job.

The Apprentice
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

I have no problem with Neilson trying to get Wighton opportunities and have no problem with him featuring. My problem comes with weakening the team to do so. Wighton can come on off the bench once games are won and the opposition tired. Let him have the last twenty to try get some goals and build confidence. Playing him as the lone striker whilst moving Walker, our best player potentially, out wide to make way for him is wrong. Naismith our only goal threat carrying striker being asked to play in the 10 to give Wighton the chance is also daft. 

Looking at the side last night I actually thought the team was built around getting Naismith in the starting X1 rather than Wighton. Naismith hasn't had a lot of minutes in pre-season (and it showed last night), Wighton has and has played up front in them, and Walker by all accounts seems to be thriving in the number 10 role.

As bright as Ginnelly looked last night, the chronic lack of width on the left hindered us I think and added more pressure on Ginnelly to create something for us.  Shunting Walker out there to make way for Naismith when clearly he is best in a more central role was a reason for that.

1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

This is an area that should have been the number 1 priority when RN was putting team together.

The last 2 games against ICT, the difference was Uche.

We are going to come across a lot of defenders like Brad Mackay in the division and we are going to need to have a bit more of a physical presence up front as an option. 

When we were in Championship last time, we had Sow and latterly Zeefuik who were both able to stand up to the physical aspects of the division. In Sow we had pace and both knew where the net was.

Our current strikers are not if a similar physical stature and in Naismith and Boyce, are prone to injuries. Wighton and all due respect to the lad us not someone I would want to be relying on to get us the goals we need.

We are definitely a striker short

100% spot on

Uche may not be the most prolific but he creates and scores more than this Wighton ever will. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

How can you be what’s he done to make you think this ..... Wighton ?? 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that we need another one in. Last night just reinforced my view. We created plenty of chances and we should have been out of sight by half time. Wighton does certainly look a bit better than last season, however much as I would wish for him to be a stand out for us, I don’t think that’s going to happen. I hope that we pick up someone fairly quickly as I don’t really want to see us starting our league campaign looking short in that department - it could cost us dear.

4 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that we need another one in. Last night just reinforced my view. We created plenty of chances and we should have been out of sight by half time. Wighton does certainly look a bit better than last season, however much as I would wish for him to be a stand out for us, I don’t think that’s going to happen. I hope that we pick up someone fairly quickly as I don’t really want to see us starting our league campaign looking short in that department - it could cost us dear.

I think you are right. 

12 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Definitely require a decent centre  forward who can hold the ball we are blessed with many skilful players but a number 9 is so badly needed. Boyce to come back but need a strong player up top with a bit pace. 

Sorry but wighton is not the  answer 

Don't apologise. The guy just seems so weak and is probably too nice. Maybe if he scores a couple of goals he might get a lift and help him but I really am not convinced about him.

He needs to develop a more aggressive attitude and be more selfish when he has a chance otherwise he will never improve.

Where does the Boyce being injury prone chat come from? I've seen it on a couple of threads now and just don't get it?!?

Yes he missed a couple of games last season with a niggly back injury but he's averaged 35 games a season for 11 seasons, played 43 times last season and has only had one serious injury back in 2018 at Burton.

kingantti1874
Just now, Ribble said:

Where does the Boyce being injury prone chat come from? I've seen it on a couple of threads now and just don't get it?!?

Yes he missed a couple of games last season with a niggly back injury but he's averaged 35 games a season for 11 seasons, played 43 times last season and has only had one serious injury back in 2018 at Burton.

agree, Boyce is not injury prone.  The back injury and playing him in central midfield was a problem last year 

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, Spongebob said:

What’s the obsession with playing naisy at no 10 he’s much better up top annoying the centre half’s with walker in behind!!

This is my biggest issue

Naismith, Boyce and Wighton as strikers. 

If anything I'd get another to compete with walker. 

3 strikers is enough unless we are going with 2 upfront, we seem to be going with 1 tho. 

If it's just Boyce and Wighton as strikers we'll need another option but then I think Naismith is wasted a bit. 

Bazzas right boot
49 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

How can you be what’s he done to make you think this ..... Wighton ?? 

My thinking is that if we are playing 1 up front, Naismith and Boyce should be the options with Wighton behind them in the pecking order. 

4 strikers for one berth seems excessive. 

Even top ucl teams don't carry 4 strikers, many only have 2 with youth as back up. 

My issue is probably with Naismith as a "10", he should be a striker option imo. 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

My thinking is that if we are playing 1 up front, Naismith and Boyce should be the options with Wighton behind them in the pecking order. 

4 strikers for one berth seems excessive. 

Even top ucl teams don't carry 4 strikers, many only have 2 with youth as back up. 

My issue is probably with Naismith as a "10", he should be a striker option imo. 

100 % with the 2 wingers we only need one striker and we have 3. Most teams only carry 3 city only 2 who are both injured atm unfortunately 🙄

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Naismith and Boyce are injury prone. If they were fit and healthy, no problem but Naismith has missed too many games over last 2 seasons and Boyce has also had issues with ligament injuries as well as carrying an injury making him ineffective towards the end of last season 

No one is talking about carrying a massive number of strikers but we need to look at someone who will give us a different option and who can chip in with goals 

Carring four strikers for 1 position is heavy. 

Barcelona and Bayern Munich don't Carry that. 

Maybe my issue is that I'm viewing Naismith as a striker when he's a "number 10", imo that is aa mistake by Robbie. 

Naismith and / or Boyce upfront for me with Wighton as back up. 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Carring four strikers for 1 position is heavy. 

Barcelona and Bayern Munich don't Carry that. 

Maybe my issue is that I'm viewing Naismith as a striker when he's a "number 10", imo that is aa mistake by Robbie. 

Naismith and / or Boyce upfront for me with Wighton as back up. 

Forget the numbers game.

Wighton just isn't good enough - either as a starter or backup.

We need another striker in ASAP and, if that means Wighton goes out on loan somewhere again, then so be it.

TyphoonJambo
6 minutes ago, Spongebob said:

100 % with the 2 wingers we only need one striker and we have 3. Most teams only carry 3 city only 2 who are both injured atm unfortunately 🙄

Spurs run with only Kane listed as a striker 

13 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

That is honestly his level. 

No way is he good enough for Hearts. 

That literally is our level 😄

1 minute ago, iainmac said:

Forget the numbers game.

We need another striker in ASAP and, if that means Wighton goes out on loan somewhere again, then so be it.

We should be playing with 2 strikers at this level. 

2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

One striker would be fine......IF..... they were regularly scoring goals, they were able to go through a season without any fitness or injury issues, or they weren't away on international duty when we needed them.

None of the guys we have really do that.

Edited by Busby8

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Forget the numbers game.

If we replace Wighton then that would make sense. 

Can he go on loan now, transfer window closed? 

Whoever we get will be behind Naismith and Boyce for the striking position imo, not sure of the quality we can get for that tbh. 

In the league we are going to be playing in i think we need to go with 2 strikers, not 1.

Boyce +1 plus someone to push them hard = 2 strikers required.

Wighton is not the answer, not saying he is rubbish just that we need more.

Edited by Gambo

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Whoever we get will be behind Naismith and Boyce for the striking position imo, not sure of the quality we can get for that tbh. 

Loan window for the Championship is still open until the end of October.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Loan window for the Championship is still open until the end of October.

Can't see him going anywhere in the championship but if he does, a upgrade would be welcome. 

Has Robbie acknowledged the fact that we need another striker in any recent interviews?

Are we trying to address is this or is he happy with Wighton and Boyce?

1 hour ago, The Apprentice said:

Looking at the side last night I actually thought the team was built around getting Naismith in the starting X1 rather than Wighton. Naismith hasn't had a lot of minutes in pre-season (and it showed last night), Wighton has and has played up front in them, and Walker by all accounts seems to be thriving in the number 10 role.

As bright as Ginnelly looked last night, the chronic lack of width on the left hindered us I think and added more pressure on Ginnelly to create something for us.  Shunting Walker out there to make way for Naismith when clearly he is best in a more central role was a reason for that.

Naismith played behind his actual role so that Wighton could play up front. Naismith is a striker, not a 10. For Scotland he’d play as a lone striker, we are playing him deep to give Wighton game time. Robbie has pretty much said as much. That meant walker and Naismith played out of position just in the hope that Wighton would become the striker we all want him to be, he never. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Has Robbie acknowledged the fact that we need another striker in any recent interviews?

Are we trying to address is this or is he happy with Wighton and Boyce?

And Naismith. 

16 minutes ago, Gambo said:

In the league we are going to be playing in i think we need to go with 2 strikers, not 1.

Boyce +1 plus someone to push them hard = 2 strikers required.

Wighton is not the answer, not saying he is rubbish just that we need more.

My feelings as well. I don’t really see Naismith as an out and out striker. More of a number 10 in my view. There are concerns about his fitness as well. That takes us down to Boyce and Wighton. That to my mind is too light for the coming campaign with injuries and suspensions coming into play. 

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Arsenal had 2 and the young guy. 

Liverpool 2, maybe 3.

Barca 2

Madrid 2

Bayern 2

Dortmund 2

Man Utd 1, now 2?

City 2

Psg 2?

Rangers, celtic? 

Most teams have 2, maybe 3. 

For us to be carrying 4 is nonsense imo.

The biggest issue is for Robbie to decide on Naismith, striker or not. 

For me, yes with Boyce as first picks

Berra than you

We are 100% trying to sign a striker. Robbie was quizzed on the no number 9 thing last night and his answer was nobody wanted it. Absolutely not having that for a second, just keeping his cards close to his chest incase we miss out. He's said from the start he was keen to get another striker in if he can.

The Treasurer
13 hours ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

Jeezus! One game in! Give the lad a chance. We created plenty of chances and on any other day would have scored 3 or 4 easily. We’ll create plenty. All the lad needs is a goal or two and that I’ll do his confidence all the good. If not just remember we’ve got Boycie, Naisy and Walker in attack! 

Nothing to worry about! 

Understand what you are saying, but the trouble is we have been saying the same thing ever since Wighton signed.

Boyces beard
12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If we play with two wingers we will create enough chances for anyone to score, it’s fitting Walker/Naismith/Boyce into 9/10 that’s the big problem. 

It should not be a problem, Walker should be playing in the number 10 role behind Boyce and we should be playing with two out and out wingers in the 4231 formation. Naismith needs to earn his spot back in the team by performing to his usual high standards on the pitch.

The Treasurer
40 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I'd settle for only having Harry Kane as a striker

Naismith needs to decide if he wants to be a centre mid controlling the tempo or a penalty box striker. He's no use playing the free role anymore and Walker offers more threat from range

56 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

We should be playing with 2 strikers at this level. 

Absolutely this.

My thoughts last night watching Naismith and Walker just about drifting back into their own half to get on the ball.

Wighton or not, I do wonder if we should be plundering clubs around us and taking advantage of their financial difficulties to steal some talent. 

29 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Naismith has played off the main striker most of his career and that's his most natural position IMO. He and Walker can't both play there at the same time because they want to take up the same positions, but we still need someone else to cover that position and that's where Neilson seems to see him. 

When he plays in the main striker position, he's quite similar to Boyce in that he's technically decent and good at getting on the end of chances, but he's not the tallest, and not the quickest. Especially given that we can't rely on him to be available half the time, we need someone who offers something a bit different, and that 100% isn't Wighton.

That extra option doesn't need to be a world beater. Someone who offers a bit of strength/pace/ability to hold it up and can score 7 or 8 goals will do.