Striker required

NB GIN

11 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah but, on that logic where would that leave6 Hamilton, utd,  and St Mirren who all couldn't beat lower league teams. 

That logic of we only beat Cowden and ICT 1-0 so we'd get relegated is ridiculous beyond belief. 

I have seen better Hearts teams struggle badly away against lower league teams over the years.  There’s no doubt that pathetic pitch was a bit of a leveller in that match.  That said the performance was poor from a team with aspirations to romp the Championship this season.  The more I see of this team without Boyce playing in it, the more concerned I am about us not having a back up striker on our books. I would hope that the manager is having a good look about to see who might be available for us to bring in. Leaving it till the next window is courting disaster in my opinion.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Greedy Jambo

• busby1985

• jr ewing

Whilst on paper at least, it appears that we have the finances and players to 'romp the championship,'  we should remember that football is not played on paper and every game against Hearts will be like a cup final for an opposition, who will no doubt try like bears to beat us or more likely, as it is a league, not get beat.   Our last 2 cup games show that romping, although desirable, may be highly unlikely.

Whilst winning matches breeds confidence, I suspect the players do not expect to 'romp the championship,' only the fans seem to have this expectation.   Time will tell if I am right or not.   (I will be delighted to be wrong by the way.)

17 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

We desperately need to bring someone in. How Robbie cannot see this is very worrying. 

You know when you go to a cash line and it says £0.00 balance remaining. That's what Robbie currently sees until we get more people out

Gordon Ramsay
1 hour ago, bazman said:

You know when you go to a cash line and it says £0.00 balance remaining. That's what Robbie currently sees until we get more people out

Never happened to me before. 

21 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Never happened to me before. 

Can’t say I’m surprised at that.....you charge £19 for a full English breakfast ffs.

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

We desperately need to bring someone in. How Robbie cannot see this is very worrying. 

Maybe he does see it but doesn't have the approval to bring anyone else in so long as we still have money grabbers around such as Damour.

Gordon Ramsay
27 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Can’t say I’m surprised at that.....you charge £19 for a full English breakfast ffs.

😂😂

Jambof3tornado

There is no way we have no options to bring in another striker. Wighton is not good enough, plain and simple.

Once again we are being shortchanged.

I suspect we’re trying to get Ben Garruchio to go back home to Oz before their window closes.....that might free up a wage to bring in a striker.

Lots of maybe's, so I'll add one. Maybe Robbie knows he needs a number 9 but hasn't found, or been able to get, one that hits the quality for the budget he has. And maybe he isn't telling anyone on here.

But then and again, maybe he thinks Wighton will come good.

If we win the championship and have one or two semi-finals or further, then that's us hit the target for the season.

We will need new players for next season in the top league if we go up, so I'd hope he is looking good for someone who could do a job in the championship and the Premier league.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe he does see it but doesn't have the approval to bring anyone else in so long as we still have money grabbers around such as Damour.

How is Damour a money grabber? 

35 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Well, he isn't arsed and gets paid

4 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

How do you know Robbie cannot see this?

How do you know he isn't trying desperately to bring some one in?

Gordon Ramsay
5 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

How do you know Robbie cannot see this?

How do you know he isn't trying desperately to bring some one in?

How do you know he is? 

The way he's talked up Wighton and suggested he's happy to wait until January suggests he isn't. 

20 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

How do you know he is? 

The way he's talked up Wighton and suggested he's happy to wait until January suggests he isn't. 

I don't.

Hence I don't make definitive statements like "How Robbie cannot see this is very worrying. 

Gordon Ramsay
2 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

I don't.

Hence I don't make definitive statements like "How Robbie cannot see this is very worrying. 

I base my statement on him saying he his happy with his striking options but will look in January if need be. 

Thanks for the input though. 

5 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I base my statement on him saying he his happy with his striking options but will look in January if need be. 

He could have said "all my strikers are pony so I'm looking around for someone within my budget" - and that would encourage the strikers we do have.

7 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

If you can't see it then there is no point in me trying to justify it as it would be a waste of my time.

51 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

If you can't see it then there is no point in me trying to justify it as it would be a waste of my time.

Or it could mean you've made an accusation you can't justify.

He hasn't turned out to be the player we hoped he would be but that doesn't necessarily make him a wage thief.

Edited by JamboAl

8 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

How do you know he is? 

Or Robbie knows Wighton is needed until someone else comes in so no point in knocking his confidence by blabbing to the papers that we are trying to get a replacement in?

12 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

What would it tell the strikers we have if he said, “We desperately need a striker. If Boyce gets injured we’re ****ed”.

Its the equivalent of under performing players bigging up a manager.

I totally agree we need a striker and fully expect to see one soon

Gordon Ramsay
7 hours ago, Ribble said:

Or Robbie knows Wighton is needed until someone else comes in so no point in knocking his confidence by blabbing to the papers that we are trying to get a replacement in?

He's been pretty open all summer about what he's needed. Don't see why striker should be any different. All to protect poor wee Wightons confidence? He's been pish since he got here, I'm sure he knows that himself. He's lucky he's even getting a chance up top. It might even spark him into life if he knows his managers looking for some competition for his place. 

Edited by Gordon Ramsay

In 2 the games that were on the telly I've seen Wighton do one good thing, and it was when he beat the Inverness right back in the corner and got into the box, but then I think he failed to get his head up to look for a pass and just aimlessly rattled it across an empty 6yd box. He's garbage and I'll be very worried if he's all we've got up front after Boyce. We badly need to bring somoene in.

Good strikers are hard to find even more so in the free transfer market.  Would be good if we could unearth another Zeefuik.  

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Good strikers are hard to find even more so in the free transfer market.  Would be good if we could unearth another Zeefuik.  

So is true love these days. 

Folk on here seem to have expected Robbie to rubbish Wighton in the press and publicly state he wants a striker. 

WTF is happening to jkb? 

Bazzas right boot
On 11/10/2020 at 10:02, Jamstomorrow said:

Whilst on paper at least, it appears that we have the finances and players to 'romp the championship,'  we should remember that football is not played on paper and every game against Hearts will be like a cup final for an opposition, who will no doubt try like bears to beat us or more likely, as it is a league, not get beat.   Our last 2 cup games show that romping, although desirable, may be highly unlikely.

Whilst winning matches breeds confidence, I suspect the players do not expect to 'romp the championship,' only the fans seem to have this expectation.   Time will tell if I am right or not.   (I will be delighted to be wrong by the way.)

When we score early, we will win games more easily. 

Every game will be different, some tight some not so much. 

We could romp it by winning most games 1/2-0, you don't need to score 4/5 every game to romp it either. 

Jack Torrance
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Folk on here seem to have expected Robbie to rubbish Wighton in the press and publicly state he wants a striker. 

WTF is happening to jkb? 

We did that with Vanecek and look how that turned out....

21 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I suspect we’re trying to get Ben Garruchio to go back home to Oz before their window closes.....that might free up a wage to bring in a striker.

I would rather have him at left back than White.

Hearts are playing a dangerous game here.

Before a ball was even kicked, I knew we would be struggling for goals.

Just need to hope that Boyce can stay injury and suspension free as we are going to be totally reliant on him to put the ball in the back of the net.

We were terrible up front last year and that was with the options of Uche, Washington and the execrable MacLean.  All gone.  The club strangely gave Henderson a contract extension while there was no manager.  And Robbie has tried to talk up Wighton who so far has been one of the club's worst ever signings.

Need at least one more striker.

4 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

In 2 the games that were on the telly I've seen Wighton do one good thing, and it was when he beat the Inverness right back in the corner and got into the box, but then I think he failed to get his head up to look for a pass and just aimlessly rattled it across an empty 6yd box. He's garbage and I'll be very worried if he's all we've got up front after Boyce. We badly need to bring somoene in.

He is garbage and he has had a few chances now as well. 

Naismith hopefully will come onto a game because he has been poor so far and will probably only play so many games. 

That leaves Boyce who could easily pick up an injury or suspension. 

It's obvious we need to bring another striker in and I would be very surprised if Neilson thinks otherwise no matter what he says in the press about it. 

38 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

I would rather have him at left back than White.

Me too.......but I guess other clubs will feel the exactly same way so BG will be easier to move on than AW.

Am not going to lie, I don’t really know how to feel about Hearts just now. 

On one hand, it’s basically pre season and we’ve not conceded, won both competitive matches. Am happy with Gordon coming in, am happy with Halliday, Kingsley, Roberts, Ginnelly. I think Walker looks reborn in the 10 and looks a serious threat this year. Irving continues to impress when ever I see him and I like the look of Popescu and Halkett as a pair. 

On the other hand, we look flat and am not sure the shape is correct for the player available. Lee is wasted as a deep lying pivot and am not sure we need two sitters in the championship especially at tynie when sides will sit in. Lee was great when he was attacking and playing further up the field. Wighton is miles off the standard we require and the lack of goals in the team minus Boyce (who hasn’t impressed in maroon yet) is a worry. We unbalanced the side trying to play Wighton as a 9 with Naismith and Walker as 10’s and it didn’t work. We can’t rely on Naismith to stay fit and Boyce and Wighton aren’t guaranteed goals (as it stands). White at left back, I know Kingsley has come to be number 1 but he didn’t come in till after the window shut which scares me as I think Neilson thought we could rely on White. Sideways passing and passing for the sake of it, no penetration like the last few seasons. I liked that Robbie was yelling at the players to get forward etc Saturday but still a worry that this side and players don’t have tempo and urgency in them. 

Overall. Am on the fence. Not seen anything to be overly worried about. Not seen anything that fills me with confidence. 3 games till the semi so plenty time to get momentum going. 

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

WTF is happening to jkb? 

I think it's just going the same way as other social media.  A platform for people to instantly scribble whatever drool they like where the keyboard fingers are 30 minutes in front of the brain.  

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Am not going to lie, I don’t really know how to feel about Hearts just now. 

On one hand, it’s basically pre season and we’ve not conceded, won both competitive matches. Am happy with Gordon coming in, am happy with Halliday, Kingsley, Roberts, Ginnelly. I think Walker looks reborn in the 10 and looks a serious threat this year. Irving continues to impress when ever I see him and I like the look of Popescu and Halkett as a pair. 

On the other hand, we look flat and am not sure the shape is correct for the player available. Lee is wasted as a deep lying pivot and am not sure we need two sitters in the championship especially at tynie when sides will sit in. Lee was great when he was attacking and playing further up the field. Wighton is miles off the standard we require and the lack of goals in the team minus Boyce (who hasn’t impressed in maroon yet) is a worry. We unbalanced the side trying to play Wighton as a 9 with Naismith and Walker as 10’s and it didn’t work. We can’t rely on Naismith to stay fit and Boyce and Wighton aren’t guaranteed goals (as it stands). White at left back, I know Kingsley has come to be number 1 but he didn’t come in till after the window shut which scares me as I think Neilson thought we could rely on White. Sideways passing and passing for the sake of it, no penetration like the last few seasons. I liked that Robbie was yelling at the players to get forward etc Saturday but still a worry that this side and players don’t have tempo and urgency in them. 

Overall. Am on the fence. Not seen anything to be overly worried about. Not seen anything that fills me with confidence. 3 games till the semi so plenty time to get momentum going. 

I am beginning to think the semi is a distraction we could do without.  This season is all about getting back to SPL but the fans focus (understandably) is all on Hampden.  

Just now, TexasAndy said:

I am beginning to think the semi is a distraction we could do without.  This season is all about getting back to SPL but the fans focus (understandably) is all on Hampden.  

My thinking is that the league is utter jobby and even with our second string, we should win it. I know that’s wrong and everything over the past 4 years has shown that we will probably struggle. That being said, the cup is the most important game this season. Lose it and hibs lose the final, Robbie may survive with a strong league campaign and top flight performances. Lose and hibs win the cup, he’ll have to leave almost immediately as he’ll never recover from that. So the semi is more important IMO than the league. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

My thinking is that the league is utter jobby and even with our second string, we should win it. I know that’s wrong and everything over the past 4 years has shown that we will probably struggle. That being said, the cup is the most important game this season. Lose it and hibs lose the final, Robbie may survive with a strong league campaign and top flight performances. Lose and hibs win the cup, he’ll have to leave almost immediately as he’ll never recover from that. So the semi is more important IMO than the league. 

If hibs beat celtic or Aberdeen and win the cup.. Robbie has to leave? 

:notsure:

It is  an important game. 

14 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I would have agreed with you had the game been when it was originally scheduled but so much has changed in their favour.  I think it would be grossly unfair and unreasonable to judge the manager on this one game.  I don't think the fans will either.  

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If hibs beat celtic or Aberdeen and win the cup.. Robbie has to leave? 

:notsure:

It is  an important game. 

Robbie will be the manager that lost twice to hibs in the cup and hibs won it. I know you understand the importance of that. If he loses the semi he will be under huge pressure straight away. If hibs go on to win the cup the damage will be done and fans, regardless of results, won’t forgive him. We are a bitter bunch. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

WTF is happening to jkb? 

I don't think anyone would want, or expect Robbie to "rubbish" one of his players, he's not Levein. It is a concern though that we are lacking competition for places upfront. If Boyce does get injured then Wighton is our only natural (I use that word loosely) striker to call upon. The chances of Naismith being fully fit throughout the season are slim so we do needoget someone else in. Hopefully Neilson has someone in mind seeing as he's brought in so many wingers to get crosses into the box. It would be pretty pointless signing these players if there's no-one in there to get on the end of them. I watched Ginelly against Inverness and a few times he got balls in but no-one was there on the receiving end. We won't have any success if no-one is brought in to play up there.

19 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Haud the bus. .

So the farce of this semi final from last year’s competition is more important than Hearts getting out the championship?

And

If Hibs win the cup, no matter the circumstances then Robbie (who will have been in charge for about 10 games) will need to leave?

I love JKB 😂

Just now, TexasAndy said:

I would have agreed with you had the game been when it was originally scheduled but so much has changed in their favour.  I think it would be grossly unfair and unreasonable to judge the manager on this one game.  I don't think the fans will either.  

The fans absolutely will, head in the sand stuff if you think they won’t. Hibs waiter 104 years to win the Scottish cup. They were 2 down with 45 to play to extend that to 105 years, the rest is history. If they go on to win their 2nd Scottish cup in 4 years, Robbie will never live that down. Not trying to be a wank, just stating the obvious. He has to win the semi to have any chance of silencing the doubters. Regardless of how sensible your thinking is about things changing, us only playing 4 competitive matches before the game, our training being cut short etc etc. It’s all sensible stuff, doesn’t matter tho.