*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Neilson v Mcinnes is interesting. 

First game 3 down at half time. Second game backs to the wall, lost to Mcghee brain fart.

3rd game dominated them and won in the cup, 4th 2 1 win 5th 1 0 at Pittodrie though it was meaningless. 

Then 0 0 at Pittodrie but a dominant 2nd half.

So Neilson dealt with Mcinnes comfortably, learning quickly. 

As soon as he left Cathro had them well back on top with 3 successive defeats losing momentum on them Neilson had built. 

Neilson is a pragmatist. He will try and play expansive football against teams he fancies, but he is very careful to close down opportunity for other sides to gain on us.

Pity he got sensitive and ran to MK Don's.

• Replies 63.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You asked the question? What relevance has RN's record got to the discussion about McInnes's record other than to tee up an opportunity for you too have another needless dig at Neilson and fellow Hearts fans, while at the same time talking up the manager of a rival club?

It's kind of hard to compare RN's 8 seasons with Hearts given he's managed us for less than 2. But again, you were the one who asked the question.

In answer to this - "How often have we finished top 3 back to back over the last 50/60 years, let alone the odd runner up spot? "

The last manager to do that for us was Craig Levein. The one to get nearest to it since and who was almost certainly heading for that was Mr Neilson.

The relevance is that it was in reply to your post that McIness’s win rate wasn’t as good as Neilson’s which you’ve just proved was a ridiculous comment since you were comparing it to lower leagues stats which mean nothing.  You teed it up yourself by talking shite. 

Where did I have a dig at Neilson?  It doesn’t have to be a dig by pointing out that someone has a better record. 47% is a pretty good win rate for a non OF manager, I’d bite your hand off for that next season.  

Pure speculation that we would’ve have finished top 3 if RN had stayed that season and highly debatable given that Rangers finished 3rd with 67 points and we finished 5th with 46 points. You really think we would have got another 22 points if he had stayed?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The relevance is that it was in reply to your post that McIness’s win rate wasn’t as good as Neilson’s which you’ve just proved was a ridiculous comment since you were comparing it to lower leagues stats which mean nothing.  You teed it up yourself by talking shite. 

Where did I have a dig at Neilson?  It doesn’t have to be a dig by pointing out that someone has a better record. 47% is a pretty good win rate for a non OF manager, I’d bite your hand off for that next season.  

Pure speculation that we would’ve have finished top 3 if RN had stayed that season and highly debatable given that Rangers finished 3rd with 67 points and we finished 5th with 46 points. You really think we would have got another 22 points if he had stayed?

No I didn't, I made an offhand comment designed to put down a rival manager and talk up ours (something that seems to trigger you). Pretty normal for a fan really to praise his own manager and have a go at a rival.

"You really think we would have got another 22 points if he had stayed?"

Er, yes. All he had to do was keep up the same win rate. If he could do it in the first half why not the second half? And he'd only just got our strikers - Johnson mainly - performing in the last few games before he left. Arguably we were going to get better.

McInnes’ and Aberdeen’s recent success is mostly because 4 of the biggest teams in the country went through serious turmoil in the last decade.

Rangers died and it took the replica team 8 years to become decent again. We have been a self-inflicted circus since about 2012. Dundee Utd fell apart and Hibs were . . well Hibs. 

Seriously hope it’s the sheep’s turn to self-destruct. They’ve got too big for their boots. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

No I didn't, I made an offhand comment designed to put down a rival manager and talk up ours (something that seems to trigger you). Pretty normal for a fan really to praise his own manager and have a go at a rival.

"You really think we would have got another 22 points if he had stayed?"

Er, yes. All he had to do was keep up the same win rate. If he could do it in the first half why not the second half? And he'd only just got our strikers - Johnson mainly - performing in the last few games before he left. Arguably we were going to get better.

You’re entitled to your opinion but I think you’re wrong.  If he’d carried on the same points per game by the way, we would have finished 4th, although iirc we started the previous season even better, winning our first league games before fading away and only finishing with 61 points in a weaker league without Rangers. 

And no, I don’t feel any need to have a go at a rival manager unless he’s acting like a dick, like Lennon.  I don’t see any problem with giving credit to other managers as well as our own if they’re doing a good job, just as Martindale has had a lot of credit on here recently. 

Not sure fans praising their manager is the norm to be honest - you’ll find fans up and down the country criticising their manager and wanting him sacked - even at Celtic where they’ve won 12 trophies in a row. 

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, DS98 said:

McInnes’ and Aberdeen’s recent success is mostly because 4 of the biggest teams in the country went through serious turmoil in the last decade.

Rangers died and it took the replica team 8 years to become decent again. We have been a self-inflicted circus since about 2012. Dundee Utd fell apart and Hibs were . . well Hibs. 

Seriously hope it’s the sheep’s turn to self-destruct. They’ve got too big for their boots. 

That’s true but you can only beat what’s in front of you.  It wouldn’t have bothered me if we’d managed to win the Premiership without Rangers in it - the record books won’t have an asterix beside the recent league winners saying Rangers or Hearts were shite that season.  

The turmoil we’ve been in the last few years  - I suspect Aberdeen have already had this period in the Skovdhal years - they really were consistently pish during that period. 

Celtic v motherwell :

The ref' was sharp as a tack for that free kick to penalty call.    Not like our mc clean who couldn't tell if Boyce was blocked or tripped. 

Kudos for the handball one though. 

Amazing. ☺    

Looked like the St Johnstone penalty was saved but the goalie didn't have a foot on the line before it was kicked.   No retake.  

They're on a great run at the moment.   Good comeback after a serious injury to a teammate.   Even if I think he's a dick.    I didn't respect the current manager as much as I do now.   Fair play to him. 

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

We will. 

We'll get about 65 point's next season. 

Like last season? Our team is no better than last season. We need 4-5 far better players

jamboinglasgow
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Adds to the case that he's been a solid manager but not one able to take all the chances they've had to win cups and push Celtic closer, not to mention doing very little in Europe despite all the opportunities.

Yup, thats completely my view.

Thought this is a good review of McInnes and why Aberdeen fans are frustrated.

https://www.whatastramash.com/home/2021/2/3/malaise?format=amp&__twitter_impression=true

He is a decent manager but if I was an Aberdeen supporter I would wonder what has he done to grow the team (though it also applies to those running the club.) Aberdeen have been a strong position since 2013 where their nearest rivals have imploded, they have sat with a higher budget than every club but 2. Got regularly the highest qualifying round in Europa League a Scottish club can get. But they have not progressed past the 3rd qualifying round. The teams are much stronger than those around them (both Kilmarnock and Motherwell has finished above them in the last 2 seasons.) Their recruitment has been scattergun (as much as Levein was badly criticised for his signing on talented experienced players with injury problems, McInnes is just as bad.) Aberdeen could have built themselves up to a higher level than any team outwith the old firm with the breaks they got in the 2010s. But they messed it up.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Jamie3lb said:

Like last season? Our team is no better than last season. We need 4-5 far better players

Nope, unlike last season.

Be like Robbie's last full season with us  tho.

Sorry but it’s pretty laughable to talk down guys like Ross and McInness when we are dicking around struggling to beat the likes of Ayr and Arbroath. 

McInnes has done an excellent job at Aberdeen - but perhaps could and should have done better with the resources and lack of Hearts - and Ross took over at hibs when they were in the same place we were when Stendel came in. 

Grudging respect where it’s due 🤷‍♂️

Will see what Robbie does next season. I have no idea tbh

Maroon Sailor
59 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Sorry but it’s pretty laughable to talk down guys like Ross and McInness when we are dicking around struggling to beat the likes of Ayr and Arbroath. 

McInnes has done an excellent job at Aberdeen - but perhaps could and should have done better with the resources and lack of Hearts - and Ross took over at hibs when they were in the same place we were when Stendel came in. 

In Robbie we trust

44 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Disagree to an extent. Whilst maybe not talking them down, I wouldn’t be praising them from the rooftops either.

McInnes, whilst being incredibly consistent has been very fortunate whilst he’s been manager of Aberdeen. Three or four of the bigger teams that would usually be up there have went through serious turmoil. Rangers were always going to come back strong but as soon as it looks like Hibs are getting their act together Aberdeen have shit the bed. 

Ross came in and steadied the ship so fair play. Something we (Stendel) made a rip roaring **** of. But this season he has been backed to the hilt. Allowed to sign players left right and centre whilst every other non OF team in the league are on the bones of their arse. His team also got embarrassed twice at Hampden. So respect? Nah. 

manaliveits105

couple of games ago even hubz fans didnt like Dross football - couple more dodgy penalties against off form teams  and he is Alex Ferguson on here !

Creepy Jack will ultimately fail as he has elsewhere . 

FTH

ToadKiller Dog

What would annoy me a wee bit if I was a sheep fan this season is lack of ambition ,no real attempt to galvanise the club in an attempt to put pressure from behind on under performing celtic ,this is one of the rare seasons in which you get a slight chance to push at one of the ugly sisters and the sheep dont look interested. 

I rate mcinnes as a nanager he has done a solid enough job but you have to say in the big games they have played cup semis etc if you are a betting man you would never feel fully  confident backing a Mcinnes 

side even up against a weaker side. 

14 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

What would annoy me a wee bit if I was a sheep fan this season is lack of ambition ,no real attempt to galvanise the club in an attempt to put pressure from behind on under performing celtic ,this is one of the rare seasons in which you get a slight chance to push at one of the ugly sisters and the sheep dont look interested. 

I rate mcinnes as a nanager he has done a solid enough job but you have to say in the big games they have played cup semis etc if you are a betting man you would never feel fully  confident backing a Mcinnes 

side even up against a weaker side. 

Yeah this season has been a missed opportunity for them in some regards but are they not hampered by this fantasy stadium they are planning?

The issue for the sheep right now is that a 3rd place league finish guarantees at least conference league group stage football. And that guarantees around £4 million or so extra income.  

No way I see them sacking McInnes which would reportedly cost them a million when a guaranteed minimum £4 million or so is still at stake. Bring in some new guy at this crucial stage? Don't see it.

And even more than £4 million us at stake if the 3rd placed side were to surprise us all and qualify for the Europa league group stages.

Plus keep in mind that 3rd place puts you into the Europa league at the play off round. Just one tie can clinch it. It would be madness to change manager at this point. They wont do it.

26 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The issue for the sheep right now is that a 3rd place league finish guarantees at least conference league group stage football. And that guarantees around £4 million or so extra income.  

No way I see them sacking McInnes which would reportedly cost them a million when a guaranteed minimum £4 million or so is still at stake. Bring in some new guy at this crucial stage? Don't see it.

And even more than £4 million us at stake if the 3rd placed side were to surprise us all and qualify for the Europa league group stages.

Plus keep in mind that 3rd place puts you into the Europa league at the play off round. Just one tie can clinch it. It would be madness to change manager at this point. They wont do it.

You can’t get rid of a manager who is 3rd in the league behind the OF. Because no matter what way you cut it, he’s doing a decent job and any manager you bring in won’t be able to better it. 

You only need to look at what happened to us the last time we changed manager whilst in a league position near our ceiling.

He is stone wall safe in my opinion, especially so because there are no crowds. If he goes at all it will be his decision and Aberdeen might well drop off the map if he goes.

Trophies. He hasn’t won enough. Plenty chances but there is a luck and a knack to winning trophies that just seems to be missing from his armoury.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

You can’t get rid of a manager who is 3rd in the league behind the OF. Because no matter what way you cut it, he’s doing a decent job and any manager you bring in won’t be able to better it. 

You only need to look at what happened to us the last time we changed manager whilst in a league position near our ceiling.

He is stone wall safe in my opinion, especially so because there are no crowds. If he goes at all it will be his decision and Aberdeen might well drop off the map if he goes.

Trophies. He hasn’t won enough. Plenty chances but there is a luck and a knack to winning trophies that just seems to be missing from his armoury.

Their biggest problem is unrealistic fan expectation. They really think they should be challenging the OF. One of the absurd features of that is their assertion that they should always be a minimum 3rd due to their financial advantage.

The financial advantage they have over non OF sides is minuscule in comparison to the advantage the OF have over them. But that's somehow completely blanked and morphed into we should be challenging for the league.

kingantti1874
27 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Their biggest problem is unrealistic fan expectation. They really think they should be challenging the OF. One of the absurd features of that is their assertion that they should always be a minimum 3rd due to their financial advantage.

The financial advantage they have over non OF sides is minuscule in comparison to the advantage the OF have over them. But that's somehow completely blanked and morphed into we should be challenging for the league.

For 30 years pre mcinnes they were garbage.. 

The funniest thing is we have a financial advantage over them.  If you exclude Mcinnes ludicrous £800k per annum wage - our playing staff wage bill was higher. 

they need to be careful what they wish for, if anyone should understand that it would be us. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The funniest thing is we have a financial advantage over them.  If you exclude Mcinnes ludicrous £800k per annum wage - our playing staff wage bill was higher. 

they need to be careful what they wish for, if anyone should understand that it would be us. 

In the 4 seasons prior to McInnes their best finish was 8th. In his first full season they were 3rd and have been 3rd or 4th ever since.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I hope those dumb bleaters do force him to quit. McInnes has taken them to their ceiling. There is no next level to go to despite the fantasies of their following.

In my view there's as good a chance as not that anyone else may not emulate what McInnes has done for them and that could benefit Hearts. Now that a 3rd place finish can potentially offer guaranteed Euro group stage football and an estimated minimum £4 million or so it's crucial Hearts go all out to get that.

That's major money for all non OF clubs. A potential game changer if it could be accomplished over consecutive seasons. And who knows. Maybe even a lucky break in the Europa league play off tie to double that money.

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Correct. 

There is an entire generation of folk the same age as me (early 30s) that are more accustomed to Aberdeen being absolutely toilet. Until around the time we went into admin, they were held in the same regard as the likes of Motherwell, Dundee etc. The dregs of the top flight. Zander Diamond, Darren Mackie et al.

kingantti1874

Rangers with 40 times the budget of Hamilton, disgrace that they aren’t winning 0-6. Gerrard Out. 

that’s how it works right 🙄

Horatio Caine
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Rangers with 40 times the budget of Hamilton, disgrace that they aren’t winning 0-6. Gerrard Out. 

😂 Absolutely!

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The sheep fans should be contemplating that. As I previously said their financial advantage is negligible in comparison to the advantage Rangers have. Yet right this minute you can see how difficult it can still be to get the result even against the smallest budget in the league.

14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Rangers have been very shit to be fair. Whatever Ryan Kent had a year or so ago he’s lost now. Worst player on the park.

manaliveits105
52 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Accies accies, bit nippy, change the tune, only got one song, 😮

Dont think Ive ever heard accies fans at a game 

Callaghan playing well - not good enough for us though !

3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Dont think Ive ever heard accies fans at a game 

Callaghan playing well - not good enough for us though !

Accies fans still singing 1-0 down😂is that Sky sports doing that carry on.

Edited by Harry Potter

1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

Celtics suffering getting closer to an end.   Pity.   I prefer it to hang out more.  ☺ 

True, but still on course for Rangers wrapping it up at Celtic Park 🥳👍😁

I just quickly switched over from the Spurs game to look at the Hamilton game. There seem to be quick a few people in the stand, more than I’d expect to see if it’s essential attendees only. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Hamilton equalise at the death 🤣

Not celebrating on this occasion a - surely there isn’t a heart’s fan alive that doesn’t want someone other than those hooped ****s, to win the league? I mean they, and their quest for 9.78IAR is the reason we were voted out the league 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I just quickly switched over from the Spurs game to look at the Hamilton game. There seem to be quick a few people in the stand, more than I’d expect to see if it’s essential attendees only. 

Funny I was thinking the same thing earlier. There must be about 100 people in that stand

Horatio Caine
Just now, JFK-1 said:

What a game Ross Callachan of Hamilton had.

Would probably have been good for us in the Championship.  Lots of energy, which is what we've been missing.  Hopefully McEneff can do that for us.