Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

LogicalEric

My abiding memory of Tomaschek was him getting absolutely run ragged by John O’Neill and Russell Latapy at Easter Road in the 6-2 game. Had a few decent moments, seem to recall him playing well in a 1-0 win v Celtic when he marked Berkovic out of the game. For the transfer fee/wages definitely wasn’t value for money.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

A wonder goal 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

It was as close to a wonder goal as we scored that painful season 

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Hasn’t happened though and more questions being asked. 

Looks dodgy. 

5 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Petric was honking BUT as you and others have pointed out a lot of the players JJ signed were subsequently sold for very good prices so probably balanced out during his time in charge.  Plus he brought home the cup in 1998, still the best of the 3 in my lifetime!

I still don’t think he was that bad, came with a reputation he didn’t live up to right enough.  The rest I’m in complete agreement with :) 

53 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Ha ha, aye we deffo need him onboard.

If we got O’Donnell in and Smith goes  that would be good business. 

Watched the clare interview and does now see himself as an attacking right back and not a midfielder. He did improve under stendel but was still learning the position defensively

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

If we got O’Donnell in and Smith goes  that would be good business. 

It’s been said that he turned down Oxford to wait on a Championship side, I don’t think it was us. He is a better attacker than Smith. 

4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I still don’t think he was that bad, came with a reputation he didn’t live up to right enough.  The rest I’m in complete agreement with :) 

I didn't think Petric was that bad either. Sure when he signed we were struggling but ended up qualifying for Europe. Maybe didn't justify the money but we've had shitloads worse than him.

Edited by neilnunb

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I didn't think Petric was that bad either. Sure when he signed we were struggling but ended up qualifying for Europe. Maybe didn't justify the money but we've had shitloads worse than him.

Spot on.  Good to have there for a young Elvis to learn from too perhaps?  Never worth the cash spent but as you said there’s been plenty worse. 

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

Lafferty scored 19 goals. That’s like saying arsenal don’t want to keep Aubameyang cause he made 3 assists this season. To pretty much do anything in football you need a forward who can score goals.

If Lafferty was anything like Aubameyang I would understand the point you’re making but he’s not. And you’re counting Aubameyang’s league stats only so it’s only fair in turn to say Lafferty scored 12 not 19. (And Isma scored just as much Lafferty in less games if you want to make comparisons)

Point I was making is players have to do more than just stick it in the net, Aubameyang does a lot on the wings and his runs create space for the Arsenal midfield. Lafferty was limited and had one good season in front of goal, as his career since has shown.

Stendelnator
11 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

It was as close to a wonder goal as we scored that painful season 

it was an own goal!

41 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Like yourself, I’m not overly worried who leaves. I’d imagine 3 years from now,  we won’t even have one player from this lot in our team. We can blame Levein as much as we like but the players have massively let us and the club down. They’re  probably more culpable than the former manager and I don’t feel any affection for any of them. 

Damour couldn’t shine if you rubbed his neck with Brasso. The sight of him during the Paisley capitulation said it all for me. A player going through the motions. When we need players to roll their sleeves up and dig in, he was posted missing along with countless others. Should never wear the maroon herself again imo. The silver lining to this is, we can now have a mass clear out with Robbie back in the job. 

Yep I think more than most since we came back up we’ve had at least 1 millstone player that saps money and confidence, sit on the bench happy to take a wage and returnS very little and its cost us fortunes to get rid of them , and it’s not the cheap options like Reilly or Callachan 

10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Did Petrie ever play again I thought he got injured and retired ? 

Guest ToqueJambo

Keep saying this until I'm blue in the face but you simply can't really judge our recruitment over the last couple of seasons without mentioning the injuries we had, and most were not injury-prone players or players signed when injured. The injuries are the reason we signed so many more players than usual and the reason we saw a bit more of some players we may not have seen for another season or two, if at all.

The team signed for 18/19 started brilliantly. We might not even be talking about half the players signed since then if it wasn't due to the long-term (10 or more games) injuries suffered by new signings:

Uche

Naismith

Mitchell

Garuccio

Haring

We also had long term injuries to good players already at the club like Smith, Berra, Souttar, Cochrane, Godinho and Brandon. That's an entire first team of good players.

The following season from 6 or 7 new signings we got long-term injuries to:

Naismith

Washington

Walker

Halkett

Plus long-term injuries to Haring, Lee, Souttar, Garuccio, Morrison, Brandon, then Stendel's two best signings Boyce and Sibbick got injured. Again almost an entire team of first team or close to first team picks. No other club has had anywhere near our injury issues over the last couple of seasons.

Getting the players fitter and changing whatever we've done wrong in terms of injury management that last two seasons all be vital. A huge mistake Levein made was to not rely on youngsters during the injury crisis. Instead he kept signing players as cover in case of injuries or as emergency signings after injuries happened, so we ended up with a very high turnover of players. He also failed to recruit well in the wide areas, goalie and central midfield, especially replacing Djoum. Think he focused on attacking players before 19/20 given how short we'd been left in that area the season before.

Also only one young player - Hickey - emerged during the injury crisis when we should have expected more to have been given more chances and hopefully taken them. Irving is maybe the only other one who took his chance. Hopefully lessons learned but it doesn't change the fact our injuries started the slide then made it harder to turn our form around. It also makes it hard to judge some players still at the club who have been out for long spells the last season or so.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, qferryjam said:

Did Petrie ever play again I thought he got injured and retired ? 

Sure he ended up in China which I thought was quite funny when I heard.  

46 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

For 20 mins at Fir Park Washington and Walker ripped Well apart. Then Walker broke his ankle, tracking back, and a couple of weeks later Washington had major hamstring tear. Neither have been the same since although to be fair they were both really only fit  during Jan and Feb. Washington looked a player at ER. 

I remember, the cup game. Thought it was going to be a great season after that game. 

Kenneth Dubeke
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

KK said on that Si Ferry show that JJ told him he wouldn't believe some of the stuff that was going on. I can't imagine the training was that bad, leads me to believe it was the contracts that were dished out.

Gotta trust Robbie and JJ. Not that I'd be upset to lose anyone other than Boycey.

Maybe Budge will suggest to Jim that he maybe keeps a lid on what he chooses to divulge to Kyle and Locke 

43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I know what his salary was, Kris O’Neil told me he went about saying “another day another grand’. 

I use to say that too. Only wishful thinking. 

gowestjambo
3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

You would like to think that could be coached but there hasn't been a lot of that in recent years.

100% correct. I think Callum Morrison has ability but needs coaching to improve. The same could be said about Uche who has gone backwards since his arrival. If fans can see where improvement is needed, why cant the coaches???

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I remember, the cup game. Thought it was going to be a great season after that game. 

Great win that night. Totally soaked.  Played well with Whelan on the bench. High hopes then...

Just now, Newton51 said:

Great win that night. Totally soaked.  Played well with Whelan on the bench. High hopes then...

I know mate. Seems so long ago now ☹️

19 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

He's another one that never got a chance. Walker and that got better by playing games, Smith scored a wonder goal v Hibs and he's out the team. I think he's one we have to be patient with, needs an arm around his shoulder, with that he can be a good player next season

Hardly a wonder goal. Smith played plenty of games for us (36 league games) and did reasonably well in a few but didn't have the natural ability to make it here. He then went to Falkirk and wasn't good enough there either. Now he's playing in League 2.

You seems to be basing your player assessments on one-off contributions (set up a goal against Rangers/scored against Hibs) rather than appraising their (intelligence, control, technique, pace), etc. Walker, Nicholson and even King were clearly well ahead of Smith in these areas, which is why they got more of a chance than he did.

Moore has stuck to his task well in the games he's played and did well to knock it past McGregor and cut it back on that one occasion, but I just don't see much natural ability there aside from being reasonably quick. I'll be delighted to see him prove me wrong.

How long before the gutter press come up with "Clare opens up heart - boo boys forced me out!"

Good luck to the lad, not the worst by a long way.

19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I did for 20 minutes that night then it went pear-shape. Walker and Washington very much on the same wavelength and with a decent striker up front between them I thought we would score for fun. 

21 minutes ago, Kenneth Dubeke said:

Maybe Budge will suggest to Jim that he maybe keeps a lid on what he chooses to divulge to Kyle and Locke 

Not one of JJ’s traits or strengths. Open book and always has been. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

I didn’t even think he was that bad.  That miss against Stuttgart though :( 

That miss wasn't a gimme tbf, a half chance for a centre half. 

However, he didn't need to miss by that much, that a satellite was taken out. 

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Sure he ended up in China which I thought was quite funny when I heard.  

The thought of him smashing a wee Chinese forward into next week does raise a chuckle. 

Only time I got the fear v hibs is when Petric played for us and Latapy for them. 

:vrface:

rudi must stay
22 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Hardly a wonder goal. Smith played plenty of games for us (36 league games) and did reasonably well in a few but didn't have the natural ability to make it here. He then went to Falkirk and wasn't good enough there either. Now he's playing in League 2.

You seems to be basing your player assessments on one-off contributions (set up a goal against Rangers/scored against Hibs) rather than appraising their (intelligence, control, technique, pace), etc. Walker, Nicholson and even King were clearly well ahead of Smith in these areas, which is why they got more of a chance than he did.

Moore has stuck to his task well in the games he's played and did well to knock it past McGregor and cut it back on that one occasion, but I just don't see much natural ability there aside from being reasonably quick. I'll be delighted to see him prove me wrong.

It's boring but I guess its how we use them and I guess it's a bit how your face fits. His maybe didn't, we don't see what goes on behind the scenes. That's quite a few games but I'd guess most of them were from the bench. Being honest Smith had more than Moore has technically but the OF games are different and if those are the games he can contribute he's very welcome in a Hearts squad 

24 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

That miss wasn't a gimme tbf, a half chance for a centre half. 

However, he didn't need to miss by that much, that a satellite was taken out. 

I know but it summed the boy up!  

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The thought of him smashing a wee Chinese forward into next week does raise a chuckle. 

Only time I got the fear v hibs is when Petric played for us and Latapy for them. 

:vrface:

I just had the image of Jaws from James Bond against them all :lol: 

Less said about the other part the better. 

58 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Keep saying this until I'm blue in the face but you simply can't really judge our recruitment over the last couple of seasons without mentioning the injuries we had, and most were not injury-prone players or players signed when injured. The injuries are the reason we signed so many more players than usual and the reason we saw a bit more of some players we may not have seen for another season or two, if at all.

The team signed for 18/19 started brilliantly. We might not even be talking about half the players signed since then if it wasn't due to the long-term (10 or more games) injuries suffered by new signings:

Uche

Naismith

Mitchell

Garuccio

Haring

We also had long term injuries to good players already at the club like Smith, Berra, Souttar, Cochrane, Godinho and Brandon. That's an entire first team of good players.

The following season from 6 or 7 new signings we got long-term injuries to:

Naismith

Washington

Walker

Halkett

Plus long-term injuries to Haring, Lee, Souttar, Garuccio, Morrison, Brandon, then Stendel's two best signings Boyce and Sibbick got injured. Again almost an entire team of first team or close to first team picks. No other club has had anywhere near our injury issues over the last couple of seasons.

Getting the players fitter and changing whatever we've done wrong in terms of injury management that last two seasons all be vital. A huge mistake Levein made was to not rely on youngsters during the injury crisis. Instead he kept signing players as cover in case of injuries or as emergency signings after injuries happened, so we ended up with a very high turnover of players. He also failed to recruit well in the wide areas, goalie and central midfield, especially replacing Djoum. Think he focused on attacking players before 19/20 given how short we'd been left in that area the season before.

Also only one young player - Hickey - emerged during the injury crisis when we should have expected more to have been given more chances and hopefully taken them. Irving is maybe the only other one who took his chance. Hopefully lessons learned but it doesn't change the fact our injuries started the slide then made it harder to turn our form around. It also makes it hard to judge some players still at the club who have been out for long spells the last season or so.

Godd post/balanced view!

So have we just sold the only two players in the whole squad with even an grain of pace or running in them? (Clare & Washington).

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

So have we just sold the only two players in the whole squad with even an grain of pace or running in them? (Clare & Washington).

Two of  our best players. Yes

Edited by rudi must stay
Could have been construed as a wind up

jamboinglasgow
Just now, rudi must stay said:

Two of  our best players that seemed happy here for quick cash. Yes. No doubt Ann Budge has received the suitcase of cash 

What players say in public is not necessarily what they are thinking in private.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I know but it summed the boy up!  

I remember he taken a fee kick. 

He toe bashed it straight out the park. 

Like a cannonball, it almost blew a hole in the stand. 

Couldn't believe what I witnessed, one they "Wtf, did I just see that moments". 

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Bur maybe not in cost.

Hearts made big money from JJ signings - Weir, McCann, Niemi, Cameron.....

35 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

He skinned half the Hibs team before it 

Are you not getting mixed up with Nicholson? 

I'm sure Smith's goal was from a cross from the right that he took on the volley. 

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Hearts made big money from JJ signings - Weir, McCann, Niemi, Cameron.....

Fantastic!

15 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

Yes

I really hope we start getting results this season to begin the process of forgetting a truly woeful last few years. 

rudi must stay
10 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I'm sure Smith's goal was from a cross from the right that he took on the volley. 

Did he not score one where he skinned a few guys at Easter Road and someone tapped it in, maybe Ryan McGivern. As another poster said it was an og but it was lovely direct play 

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

I really hope we start getting results this season to begin the process of forgetting a truly woeful last few years. 

I’m sure we will. A few good results and a bit of confidence and we’ll do what’s needed. 

29 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

Garuccio is quite quick. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s been said that he turned down Oxford to wait on a Championship side, I don’t think it was us. He is a better attacker than Smith. 

I think he was referring to the English Championship.

19 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Not sure when Nicholson did that either to be fair. He's talking about this goal. I think you might be thinking or Gordon Smith?

52 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I remember he taken a fee kick. 

He toe bashed it straight out the park. 

Like a cannonball, it almost blew a hole in the stand. 

Couldn't believe what I witnessed, one they "Wtf, did I just see that moments". 

😆

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

As was Tomaschek and a few others but he just about broke even with sales, Levein cost us millions and will cost us another few after our demotion. 

Although he had a bad injury that cut short his career at Hearts Tomaschek was a massive presence and leader around the Club .... not all contributions are made on the park. When injured he was always volunteering for fan based events or promoting the Club (Jack McConnell used him many times when promoting Edinburgh sporting initiatives)