Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

A piss poor effort more like. 

I'm sure Sean Clare laughing his tits off at getting a move based on his performances at RB while M. Smith's playing in the Scottish Championship. 

I think that tells its own story. 

I'm not sure I've seen Smith getting roasted like this on twitter from his own supporters though........

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I'm not sure I've seen Smith getting roasted like this on twitter from his own supporters though........

indeed, Michael Smith has already done the down south lower leagues and was rather popular with fans of bristol rovers and peterborough. Clare had a good purple patch last season and generally i'd say he's just as capable of putting in a 9/10 performance as he is a 3/10. Michael Smith has always been a solid 7/10 for us and I hope that given his age we can convince him to stay with a long term contract and he can convert to centre half

MS is an average hard working SPFL standard RB. The fact he has been best player the last few seasons says slot about our poor quality rather than his great ability.

Just now, Cruyff said:

Sean Clare, 10 games at RB and 3 goals. 

M. Smith 18 games at RB and 1 goal. 

:greggy:

Clare was much more effective further forward than he was as right-back. Take a look back at a few of last season's games and you'll see the amount of space Clare left behind him and where we lost goals from. Both are different players, Clare more naturally attack-minded (hence the goals), Smith more naturally defensive-minded (hence the lack of goals). Problem with Smith was his versatility. He sometimes played in the defensive midfield and central defence areas which forced switching Clare back to rb. He was never confident in tackling someone coming at him all that often, giving away free kicks, letting someone get by him where he would foul/pull a shirt etc. . That's the difference between the two. Natural ability in their favoured positions.

If we're talking goals scored, Halkett was our top scorer yet he wasn't playing upfront. Means nothing.

29 minutes ago, iainmac said:

When Smith first signed for Hearts, he was getting roasted tbh. Took him a while to settle. 

16 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

MS is an average hard working SPFL standard RB. The fact he has been best player the last few seasons says slot about our poor quality rather than his great ability.

Yep. Hearts supporters are now so used to watching bang average shite that players that merely try hard are put on some kind of pedestal above others. 

I like Smith at CB. At RB I think you need to be a bit more than a good defender and certainly nowadays full backs are seen more as an attacking outlet. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

When Smith first signed for Hearts, he was getting roasted tbh. Took him a while to settle. 

Took Flogel time to settle when he first came also, six months or so. Means nothing other than some players hit the ground running, some don't straight away.

However I don't remember Smith getting roasted. That's why, at 32, he's still playing for his national team and Sean Clare (as much as i liked him getting forward and linking play) never will play at International level.

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Took Flogel time to settle when he first came also, six months or so. Means nothing other than some players hit the ground running, some don't straight away.

However I don't remember Smith getting roasted. That's why, at 32, he's still playing for his national team and Sean Clare (as much as i liked him getting forward and linking play) never will play at International level.

I agree that Smith is the better player but that final point is a bit of a reach :lol: 

Just now, BigAlim said:

I agree that Smith is the better player but that final point is a bit of a reach :lol: 

Not sure i'm getting your point..

7 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Sean Clare English, his chances were always going to be slim at International level tbf. 

I do, I remember him getting pelters. Mind you that was more to do with our performances in the LC group stages under Cathro. He was proper hung out to dry as a RWB. 

Smith probably won't get capped again by N. Ireland at RB. The new guy prefers the McLaughlin brothers or Stuart Dallas to Smith. Certainly after his horror show v Norway. 

Edited by Cruyff

16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Cant remember smith ever being roasted, I remember him quietly setting in with 5/6 out of 10 performances

49 minutes ago, iainmac said:

🤭

tartofmidlothian
3 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I've said from day one that O'Donnell will be at Hearts in January.

Why, during the midst of a pandemic, when players are struggling to get clubs would you sign for Motherwell for six months? Purely to keep his place in the Scotland squad.

I'm sure Motherwell would have liked more than six months but he's confident enough to go short term. I'd imagine he's already agreed to come to us.

I reckon he'll be here if someone comes in for Smith, if not he'll stay at Motherwell until the summer and we'll get him when Smith goes.

Guest ToqueJambo
17 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yep. Hearts supporters are now so used to watching bang average shite that players that merely try hard are put on some kind of pedestal above others. 

I like Smith at CB. At RB I think you need to be a bit more than a good defender and certainly nowadays full backs are seen more as an attacking outlet. 

We had a very attacking RB in Paterson and I remember his defending getting slated. An attacking RB is fine if you have the team built around that style of play. Smith is very much in the solid defensive RB category of the likes of Kidd and Neilson. Now and then he'll go on a run or smack a shot in but generally he's there to defend first and foremost. Traditionally we tend to have more attacking LBs. The main issue recently has been the LB position has been a real problem position, so we haven't had a threat on either flank from FB since Paterson left. I hate to think how many more goals we might have shipped without Smith in the team.

17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We had a very attacking RB in Paterson and I remember his defending getting slated. An attacking RB is fine if you have the team built around that style of play. Smith is very much in the solid defensive RB category of the likes of Kidd and Neilson. Now and then he'll go on a run or smack a shot in but generally he's there to defend first and foremost. Traditionally we tend to have more attacking LBs. The main issue recently has been the LB position has been a real problem position, so we haven't had a threat on either flank from FB since Paterson left. I hate to think how many more goals we might have shipped without Smith in the team.

I'd personally have a Callum Paterson type at RB than a Michael Smith or Robbie Neilson. I certainly agree though that you don't really want two full backs who are more attack minded. 

As for the last bit. M. Smith was in the team last season and we were shite. 

In all honesty, I haven't forgiven any of them for their performances last season. Id have happily seen every single one of them launched out the door, especially the apparent leaders

I. E. Naismith, Smith, Berra, Halkett etc.. They were all appalling. 

My patience went with Smith after that Motherwell 1-1 draw at home, when we were baws out for about 40 minutes battering them and Smith had about 20 crossing opportunities and they either went out for a GK or he failed to beat the first man. It was truly awful. 

Edited by Cruyff

Arthur Morgan
27 minutes ago, brux said:

Cant remember smith ever being roasted, I remember him quietly setting in with 5/6 out of 10 performances

I remember thinking he was shite at first, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was criticised.

Just now, Cruyff said:

I'd personally have a Callum Paterson type at RB than a Michael Smith or Robbie Neilson. I certainly agree though that you don't really want two full backs who are more attack minded. 

In all honesty, I haven't forgiven any of them for their performances last season. Id have happily seen every single one of them launched out the door, especially the apparent leaders

In fairness you can't blame one player if the rest aren't doing their jobs properly. I remember watching John McGinn playing in a terrible St Mirren side and he was head and shoulders above the rest of his team-mates. Once again, it means nothing. One player can't carry a whole team. Shame that lot got him instead of us.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Having the worst goalie ever to play for Hearts behind them certainly didn't help the defenders last season. Him and Berra alone got us relegated in terms of silly goals lost. Not sure Berra will get many games when he's fit again. Halkett and Naismith will be very important for us this season though. Smith is a weird one. Brandon's done OK so far and gets forward a bit more than Smith does. Smith might end up kind of an experienced utility player this season, slotting in at CB, RB and DM as needed. Not the worst player to have in the squad.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Anyway, over on the other side I hear Garuccio is on his way back to Oz, which leaves us with White and Kingsley and the younger boys like Watson for lb. Given Whute and Kingsleys injury records could be a few opportunities for the Watson et al. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Anyway, over on the other side I hear Garuccio is on his way back to Oz, which leaves us with White and Kingsley and the younger boys like Watson for lb. Given Whute and Kingsleys injury records could be a few opportunities for the Watson et al. 

I had a feeling that would be the case.....their window closes on Thursday and he’s not had much game time,

2 minutes ago, millano77 said:

Garruccio gone by mutual consent. 

I feel like we didn’t get the best out of him,  I know he had a bad injury but I alway felts he was a solid enough player! Looks like white is going to be back up 

Good luck to the guy. After the Livingston shafting was surprised he ever started for us again. Torn apart v Falkirk in the cup summed him up.....meh

He scored a good free-kick two years ago and had some half-decent crosses but most of the time he looked like he'd never seen a football.

I get the sense I'm in the minority with this, but I think White is the slightly less shite of the two.

White is rubbish but Garuccio was poor too i thought, positional sense was missing and he looked slow to me.

Ben was a big part of the unbeatable start we we had the other year. But then again so was Uche and Lee so it may have been a fluke.

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Frear also played LB for Motherwell didn’t he

Yes and Popescu can play left back

I'd prefer that both Garuccio and White leave and that we develop Leo Watson as back up to Kingsley.

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Frear also played LB for Motherwell didn’t he

Can see us going for a back three a lot since Smith and Kingsley are both equally comfortable at full back and centre half, halketts best football for Livi was in the middle of a back three as well. Would leave room for the likes of Moore and Frear to play in wide areas as both will get stuck in. Have a feeling Robbie might stick with White for a while too

kingantti1874
Just now, BigAlim said:

Can see us going for a back three a lot since Smith and Kingsley are both equally comfortable at full back and centre half, halketts best football for Livi was in the middle of a back three as well. Would leave room for the likes of Moore and Frear to play in wide areas as both will get stuck in. Have a feeling Robbie might stick with White for a while too

yep, I think 3 is a good system for the majority of games

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Yes and Popescu can play left back

Not sure where this came from but Popescu hasn’t ever played LB from what I can see, he never uses his left foot. Smith, Brandon, Moore, Halliday and Frear can though. 
No great loss, good luck to him in the future. 

Edited by Pasquale for King