Black Lives Matter Protest.

Ainsley Harriott

3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

So white folks decide if they're being racist 😂😂😂😂

You're comedy gold this morning.

I've got a car to tax so I'll be off. You've made me laugh this Monday morning though.

Bit racist to assume anyone with a problem with this gathering is white.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Justin Z

• Dawnrazor

• Spellczech

Ron Burgundy
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Bit racist to assume anyone with a problem with this gathering is white.

I wouldn't say racist but certainly lazy stereotyping.

Gordon Ramsay
7 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I've made my views quite clear, if you can't understand it then you're the one with a problem.

As expected, you don't have a valid reason or comeback so just say that I have a problem 😂

All I am doing is promoting the advocation of common sense during a pandemic. I will continue to follow the rules and you can continue to call people racist without any validation for that statement whatsoever. 

Dagger Is Back

Black lives matter?

Of course they do. They always have, alongside every other life. What has happened in America to ignite these protests is disgusting and despicable. Those poor excuses for law enforcers and human beings should be prosecuted as far as the law allows, and if that doesn't go far enough, laws need to be changed.

Living in Scotland I haven't seen much racism to be honest. Most of it has sadly been at football matches. In 'normal' society, I guess I've been lucky not to have witnessed any. In saying that, it exists of course it does

A good friend of mine is an RC, Celtic supporter living in the West. The stories he tells of sectarianism in the West are absolutely appalling in 2020. Scotland has many redeeming features and it's people can be amongst the most welcoming anywhere, but we have our share of knuckle draggers too

I've watched the protests across the water and here, and quite frankly don't have one single good thing to say about those who chose to go out on the streets in the middle of a pandemic, which is stretching every country to it's absolute limits. Many people are on edge and our emergency workers especially the NHS, must be out on their feet.

Despite that, thousands of people think it's acceptable to march and protest putting further pressure on our emergency services as well as increasing the risk of further CV transmission. Utterly selfish *******s.

And then there are the parasites who attach themselves to such protests and use it as a cover to attack others and others property. Opportunistic thugs and criminals, that's all they are. Watching the footage from London and seeing people under attack for simply doing their jobs was horrific

And that's where organisers of such protests need to stand up and take some social responsibility, especially down south. We all knew what was going to happen when these protests were announced. 

There is a time and a place. 

The pictures of the young protesters just make me think, what selfish bassas tbh. Think of all the personal sacrifices we've all made during this time to adhere to the rules. What makes them or their cause so special? Wee w@nkers.

Generic Username
1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

Few hundred folk in Kirkcaldy and a further march 3 years later. Trying to get justice by drumming up hate against the Police Officers. When it’s well documented the Sheku had two drugs MDMA and Flaka in his system. Just been interesting reading that it can be proved that a major factor in his death was these drugs. There in not one shred of evidence racism played a part. But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story. 

Just need to try and keep you on track here. You asked where were the protests when he died, you've been told there were protests and have responded to that information with "well it was only a few hundred folk" - what on earth is the correlation behind the number of people in attendance and the validity of the event actually occuring?

I've certainly seen no one on this thread suggesting any innocence on Sheku's part. Indeed, if he had broken the law the police have a couple of responsibilities there - a duty of care to arrest him, safely, and then process him through the courts where the relevant punishment would be attached to his crime.

Your body will as you say, do some weird and wonderful things under the influence but to suggest that the actions of the police that day are in no part responsible for his death is concerning. Is it standard police protocol to empty entire cans of CS/Pava spray into someone's face immediately upon arrival on the scene? If someone is evidently under the influence is it safe to pile the combined weight of up to 9 people on top of them? Is it standard protocol to treat every call that comes in of a black male with a knife as a potential terrorist threat (which is what happened that morning)?

Was race a factor? Maybe, maybe not. Was the whole situation handled abysmally from start to finish? I don't think that's in any doubt. 

jack D and coke

Hearing about the Bristol guy Edward Colston who had the statue. Why wasn’t that taken down years ago? Responsible for the death of about 100k people. Captured and transferred people to the Caribbean, they reckon 20k died on the way there and their bodies were chucked in the sea on the journey...philanthropist yes but only if you agreed with his views religiously or politically. His father was even compensated to the tune of millions of pounds in today’s money for the loss of his slaves. 

Seems fairly apt his statue is now at the bottom of a river to me. ****ing leave him there. 
I think I might’ve joined in pulling that down. 
FFS. 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

Check you facts as last year black people dying in Police custody amounted to 8% of the deaths in custody. It’s just it’s hardly reported when a white person dies in Police custody. 

People really should check facts and not be led by the media. You really need to have a balanced well rounded view of life or become a zombie believing the sensational headlines. 

for the record 8% is disproportionate as black people only make up 3% of the population. So yes there is an issue worth exploring. 

Also these figure are from England and Wales, struggling to find Scottish figures. 

Black people make up only 3% of the population in England & Wales ?   That seems a very low percentage ....so less than  2 million out of 60 million ?      What constitutes "black" in your figures ?   Surely people of Asian and Caribbean descent would consider themselves black also ?      

Lone Striker
5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hearing about the Bristol guy Edward Colston who had the statue. Why wasn’t that taken down years ago? Responsible for the death of about 100k people. Captured and transferred people to the Caribbean, they reckon 20k died on the way there and their bodies were chucked in the sea on the journey...philanthropist yes but only if you agreed with his views religiously or politically. His father was even compensated to the tune of millions of pounds in today’s money for the loss of his slaves. 

Seems fairly apt his statue is now at the bottom of a river to me. ****ing leave him there. 
FFS. 

Aye .... it's an uncomfortable fact that a big chunk of philanthropy in the early 1800's which allowed big buildings, estates, roads, harbours, parks etc  to be constructed   came from men who had made much of their money through being  part  of the slave trade.

Cities like Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester have all benefited and probably have some statues & plaques to these men, which might become targets now.

11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

FFS. 

:thumbs_up:

8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

FFS. 

I've always wanted Glasgow Street names changed. But for Scottish Heroes likes of Jimmy Reid and the Big Yin. 

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Aye .... it's an uncomfortable fact that a big chunk of philanthropy in the early 1800's which allowed big buildings, estates, roads, harbours, parks etc  to be constructed   came from men who had made much of their money through being  part  of the slave trade.

Cities like Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester have all benefited and probably have some statues & plaques to these men, which might become targets now.

And Edinburgh 

The Real Maroonblood
34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I've always wanted Glasgow Street names changed. But for Scottish Heroes likes of Jimmy Reid and the Big Yin. 

The big yin a hero.

:rofl:

SectionDJambo
32 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

FFS. 

The philanthropy of some of these wealthy people of the past, who made their money from slave trading, poor conditions for workers, and generally not being nice people, was in part due to them getting “closer to God”, or old and expecting death fairly soon. It was their way of trying to cleanse their souls so that St Peter would let them in when they rolled up at his gates. 
Kind of like as illustrated by Charles Dicken’s character, Scrooge. Only when he sees what awaits him in death, and how he has conducted himself through greed, does he realise there’s more to life than making money and disregarding the plight and consequence to the poor.

It isn’t moral, in my view, to still honour these people by statues or street names, because they suddenly changed their focus, after causing so much misery to people they regarded as expendable in their pursuit of wealth.

That doesn’t mean a mob should just decide to tear statues down. It should be done by education, consultation and agreement. Only then can we learn from the past activities that created the British, and other, empires and fed the racism that still lingers today.

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The philanthropy of some of these wealthy people of the past, who made their money from slave trading, poor conditions for workers, and generally not being nice people, was in part due to them getting “closer to God”, or old and expecting death fairly soon. It was their way of trying to cleanse their souls so that St Peter would let them in when they rolled up at his gates. 
Kind of like as illustrated by Charles Dicken’s character, Scrooge. Only when he sees what awaits him in death, and how he has conducted himself through greed, does he realise there’s more to life than making money and disregarding the plight and consequence to the poor.

It isn’t moral, in my view, to still honour these people by statues or street names, because they suddenly changed their focus, after causing so much misery to people they regarded as expendable in their pursuit of wealth.

That doesn’t mean a mob should just decide to tear statues down. It should be done by education, consultation and agreement. Only then can we learn from the past activities that created the British, and other, empires and fed the racism that still lingers today.

I agree that tearing it down wasn’t the right way but they’d be trying to have this conversation for about 20 years. A Tory mp stopped a plaque from going up that explained what this man done as he feared it might be vandalised. Colston even got people branded on their chest with the name of the company, some of them children ffs. 
Thats shameful that statue wasn’t taken down and put in a museum. Been hearing quite a lot about Bristol today. Interesting. 

Edited by jack D and coke

doctor jambo
48 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Black people make up only 3% of the population in England & Wales ?   That seems a very low percentage ....so less than  2 million out of 60 million ?      What constitutes "black" in your figures ?   Surely people of Asian and Caribbean descent would consider themselves black also ?      

NObody has yet stated why the death was racist,

2 BAME officers have been charged in relation to the death.

The presumption that it is racist seems a little premature.

Or is it the assertion that other BAME officers too are racist against Afro carribean people?

Is BLM now only representative of the peoples of African descent?

13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The big yin a hero.

I think he's mellowed a bit now but he used to rubbish Scotland at every opportunity. 

Used to like him in the early days until he forgot his roots and became part of the establishment. 

19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The big yin a hero.

Comedy hero for so many others. So, yes! 

I had Wallace, Bruce and Burns, but no doubt someone would accuse me of something, so changed it to Glaswegians. 😁

Edited by ri Alban

11 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The big yin a hero.

I think there's a statue of the big yin and Chic Murray lying in storage somewhere.

We could take William Glastone out of George Sq and replace him with Billy.

Chic could sit on top of the Henry Dundas monument in St Andrew Sq. :smiley2:

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I think he's mellowed a bit now but he used to rubbish Scotland at every opportunity. 

Used to like him in the early days until he forgot his roots and became part of the establishment. 

This.

SectionDJambo
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I agree that tearing it down wasn’t the right way but they’d be trying to have this conversation for about 20 years. A Tory mp stopped a plaque from going up that explained what this man done as he feared it might be vandalised. Colston even got people branded on their chest with the name of the company, some of them children ffs. 
Thats shameful that statue wasn’t taken down and put in a museum. Been hearing quite a lot about Bristol today. Interesting. 

I’ve been watching the series of programme on tv about the history of ordinary houses in various towns or cities. A House Through Time, it’s called. It has recorded some harsh treatment of the poor by rich people in past episodes. 

A house in Bristol features this time, which was built by a sea captain who made his wealth through transportation of black slaves. It seems to have been a common source of wealth to people in Bristol. Very shameful really, and it should be that any tributes to these people should be taken away, whether statues, street names or building names.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, felix said:

I think there's a statue of the big yin and Chic Murray lying in storage somewhere.

We could take William Glastone out of George Sq and replace him with Billy.

Chic could sit on top of the Henry Dundas monument in St Andrew Sq. :smiley2:

A mass rally should be organised to let this happen.

😃

doctor jambo
20 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

How much has £16m a year Raheem Sterling pledged to BLM causes? Did I miss it?

Not sure it matters how much he makes or gives

2 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

As expected, you don't have a valid reason or comeback so just say that I have a problem 😂

All I am doing is promoting the advocation of common sense during a pandemic. I will continue to follow the rules and you can continue to call people racist without any validation for that statement whatsoever. 

I said there were three threads on here with white people telling black people what's racist but there's no Racism in Scotland apparently. That was in response to people saying, there was no racism in Scotland.

I then said:

Not for a while mate. Wouldn't go near a mass gathering at the moment. I first went to Victoria park in 1978 and the not so glamorous Craigmillar in Edinburgh. I was in Southall in 1979 to campaign against the NF and then, purely by accident, got caught up in Brixton 2 years later. After that Equality and Diversity became my vocation for more than two decades. I'm telling you this because there is no way I believe I have a right to tell people how to express their anger against Racism. I think its a big call to ignore social distancing rules at the moment, but I'm not black, I don't know what I'd feel or do right now if I was. I do think there was no need for any violence in London, the police approach was low key, in the past however...

That's my position. It could just be that this is the moment in History when attitudes are forced to change across the Western World. How and when that happens is not my call but I will not be getting all sensitive if the social distancing rules are broken to achieve it. 

The Internet

I will never not be amused by how much people hate raheem sterling for literally no reason. 

spirt of 98
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

I did not make the figures. It mentioned other groups too.

Gordon Ramsay
5 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I said there were three threads on here with white people telling black people what's racist but there's no Racism in Scotland apparently. That was in response to people saying, there was no racism in Scotland.

I then said:

Not for a while mate. Wouldn't go near a mass gathering at the moment. I first went to Victoria park in 1978 and the not so glamorous Craigmillar in Edinburgh. I was in Southall in 1979 to campaign against the NF and then, purely by accident, got caught up in Brixton 2 years later. After that Equality and Diversity became my vocation for more than two decades. I'm telling you this because there is no way I believe I have a right to tell people how to express their anger against Racism. I think its a big call to ignore social distancing rules at the moment, but I'm not black, I don't know what I'd feel or do right now if I was. I do think there was no need for any violence in London, the police approach was low key, in the past however...

That's my position. It could just be that this is the moment in History when attitudes are forced to change across the Western World. How and when that happens is not my call but I will not be getting all sensitive if the social distancing rules are broken to achieve it. 

Fair enough 👍

My personal view is that the protests have probably caused more of a division between cultures than what there was previously. 

JudyJudyJudy
20 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Fair question but a hypothetical one so difficult to answer. All I can say is that most street protests to me seem to have minimal or even negative impact. The historian's consensus today seems to be that the  more extreme Suffragette protests probably delayed women getting the vote. The UK's abolition of slavery owed more to parliamentary campaigns than mass public protest. The protests in support of the miners strike failed. As did the decades of CND marches. The  poll tax protests maybe an exception. In a democracy. I don't  think demonstrations in themselves change things. And despite everything the UK (and the US) remain democracies and the best hope of changing things is through voting. I suspect a fair proportion of those demonstrating don't bother to vote.

Of course where voting is not a route to change (Russia, China, most of the Middle East etc) protests are even less effective. If not deadly.

What a ridiculous posting.  Change has come from protests,  rallies, petitions , etc.  No rights we have today were just given. The ruling classes / Govt dont just concede.  We have had to fight for them at times.  Demos etc reflect the mood in society and do effect change. At least you note that the poll tax  " riots" were  a very successful campaign.

JudyJudyJudy
19 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

He is a complete and utter bellend. He gets pelters every single day on Twitter. A complete moron. 

JudyJudyJudy
19 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The folk who ho organised the one in Edinburgh took so many precautions, gave everyone every bit of info they needed. Right down to what they need to do if the Police speak to them, to Lawyers phone numbers. They said to folk that they would need to self isolate and not to come if they couldn’t do that. The police were mingling with the crowds. Gloves and masks were worn, they socially distanced and posted info on who to speak to if they were depressed due to lockdown. The most organised protest I’ve ever seen. Well done to everyone who went, and those like myself that participated online.

4681EE85-C675-4420-B79D-E2C37C402026.png

1F1C0BBA-391F-462A-9E85-D8C66A5BB689.jpeg

AEB3BB52-CF5E-402E-80E0-1BE2AB19D6CE.jpeg

3977D815-91BC-4C8D-8D2A-9B45A043494C.jpeg

Well done. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

NObody has yet stated why the death was racist,

2 BAME officers have been charged in relation to the death.

The presumption that it is racist seems a little premature.

Or is it the assertion that other BAME officers too are racist against Afro carribean people?

Is BLM now only representative of the peoples of African descent?

I think that it’s proven that the officer that actually killed was a racist, his social  media was full of racist material. The other cops should’ve stepped in, one did try. The guy that killed him had 18 former complaints against him, he was a training officer.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/01/us/derek-chauvin-what-we-know-trnd/index.html

https://news.sky.com/story/george-floyd-death-trainee-officer-tried-to-express-concern-during-deadly-arrest-court-hears-12000760

9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

What a ridiculous posting.  Change has come from protests,  rallies, petitions , etc.  No rights we have today were just given. The ruling classes / Govt dont just concede.  We have had to fight for them at times.  Demos etc reflect the mood in society and do effect change. At least you note that the poll tax  " riots" were  a very successful campaign.

:spoton:

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well done. 

Can’t take any credit, just an interested spectator. Or virtue signaller if you please 🙈.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Exactly. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

We've got three threads with white people telling black people they're wrong and yet Scotland isn't racist apparently😂

The levels of cognitive dissonance of some people  on this is astonishing.  

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The levels of cognitive dissonance of some people  on this is astonishing.  

Is there a problem with racism in Scotland? Yes.

Is this limited to the white population? No.

I have heard some pretty abhorrent statements about various ethnic groups coming from all manner of different minorities over the years, and in particular aimed at the moral values of white women in particular.

Racism is a universal problem, in every country.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Never been one for protests. Prefer to live my life trying not to get to involved in world affairs. Suppose the closest I come to having any sort of passionate political veiw would be the Scottish independence movements but even then I couldn't ever give enough shits to actually attend a rally or anything. I vote, that's about it. 

No doubt after the black lives matter movement dies down something else will rear it's ugly head which will get everyone angry and up in arms again. 

Suppose you could say I am part of the problem as I don't want to do anything to actually help heal the world's problems. Then again I am incredibly skeptical that the efforts I or anyone who is currently protesting is actually going to make a slight bit of different. Humanity are just a bunch of utter arseholes.

I have accepted what is. I want to get out of the pandemic and back to work however and these protests are doing **** all to help that. Can't see how that makes me a racist. 

however you have plenty to say about those who do protest. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

For the record I do not believe the death of George Floyd can be justified in anyway by the Police as there would appear to be no reason to kneel on his neck. 

However we cannot claim every death of black people is racism it dangerous. What do we call it when a white person dies due to Police actions? 

" rare" ! 

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can’t take any credit, just an interested spectator. Or virtue signaller if you please 🙈.

Couple of my friends were there.  I was in two minds about it.  As the right to protest should always be protected  but I feel at this particular time It wasnt the best idea.  However I beleive that it was very well organised regarding social distancing , from the videos and pics my friends sent me. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Couple of my friends were there.  I was in two minds about it.  As the right to protest should always be protected  but I feel at this particular time It wasnt the best idea.  However I beleive that it was very well organised regarding social distancing , from the videos and pics my friends sent me. 

At least you had sense.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

At least you had sense.

It just didnt feel right to me.  Primarily on a selfish reason,  that I could have put myself at risk then a secondary reasons  loved ones etc.  Have to think of bigger picture. Like  most ive did well with complying with the lockdown for over 11 weeks so wasnt going to sacriface that.  However it was an open air demo so chances of transmission are far lower that an indoor event , but still a naw from me. 

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Not sure it matters how much he makes or gives

I'll take that as he's donated zero then, thanks. All show and no pony.

2 minutes ago, weehammy said:

We already have plenty monuments to famous Scots - Wallace, Bruce, Burns, Scott ( you won’t like that one), Hume, Clerk-Maxwell ( most Scots haven’t heard of him) Allan Ramsay, James Young Simpson, Watt, Fergusson,  even Dewar.

We even have a black Lady on Lothian Road.

Purely for info, although very pedantic of me I admit, he was James Clerk Maxwell, not James Clerk-Maxwell.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

He is a complete and utter bellend. He gets pelters every single day on Twitter. A complete moron. 

It was the first video I found when someone asked if there was a longer clip of the incident, he doesn't reflect my views. Way too much of a snowflake for my liking. 😉

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Couldn't even get the gender of the officer right.

However on the other "side" the Guardian devotes just one sentence to the incident and says only that the WPC had "non life-threatening injuries". So that's OK. Just it seems from othrr sources a  broken collar bone, broken ribs and a collapsed lung. The morons cheering could not have known her injuries were non life-threatening and I suspect hoped they were fatal.

Edited by Francis Albert

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah I was the same, I tried to go to the one in town on Wednesday that was well socially distanced but poorly organised. Ideally it wouldn’t have needed to happen but we are where we are, hopefully with it being outdoors and with proper protocols nobody was infected.

2 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Apologies for the careless error, esp as I studied in a building named for him!

:D No need of course to apologise.

It's a weird one though as his dad was born John Clerk but added the Maxwell when he inherited the Middlebie estate in Dumfriesshire from his grandmother Dorothea Clerk Maxwell in 1793. So it was a double-barrelled surname with nothing joining the barrels.

His wife became Katherine Clerk Maxwell but sometimes they were referred to as the Maxwells, sometimes the Clerk Maxwells. All his discoveries and scientific legacies just used Maxwell, as far as I am aware.

He was a *great* scientist though, one of the greatest scientists so far, although recognised more by fellow scientists than the general public.

From Wikipedia: "Einstein, when he visited the University of Cambridge in 1922, was told by his host that he had done great things because he stood on Newton's shoulders; Einstein replied: "No I don't. I stand on the shoulders of Maxwell"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Clerk_Maxwell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clerk_Maxwell_of_Middlebie

I just watched some film of a young black tying to burn a Union Jack at the Cenotaph. Its bad enough that he would carry out a racist act by burning the flag of a Country which represents all of us Brits by birth, immigration or refugee status, by all means protest actions by individuals who have been proven to act in a racial manner, but do not condemn all of us.

I cannot in any way offer him understanding though of an act  of insult he carried out on a symbol of the gratitude for those who died achieving in fact, human rights  for us all. I am sure in fact there are some black persons honoured on that memorial. he should recall that many represented on that memorial died doing what he is protesting about. Life matters, as did that  of many Polish, Hungarian , and of course Jews who were racially slaughtered by an autocratic regime of animals.

. I was told a story how in a parade for one of  the early Remembrance Days a Sergeant Major told his men to put their hand over their medals, because the people represented on that shrine did not have the chance to get theirs, and  those on parade should not flaunt theirs then along comes this ignorant young brat and carries out an act of dishonour, while protesting exactly that ,honour and respect for in his case black people.

Edited by Sharpie