Riots in Minneapolis

annushorribilis III

alwaysthereinspirit
11 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It is overkill looking at that. It does matter in each individual situation what lead to that point though. A lot of folk have agendas and are only prepared to show certain parts of the video taken (on both sides). A lot of folk deliberately goading and putting officers in situations purely for the reaction they can capture on their phone. Arseholes on both sides. No blinkers in this house. 

I know at least 3 Mass State troopers, 1 FBI agent, 1 DEA agent and many local town cops due to soccer coaching here in my local town.

All regular guys (1 female) and good parents. Except one. An absolute $#!t head. A nasty drunk and bully. Hate bumping into him anywhere but the soccer field.
Arseholes on both sides is correct.
No blinkers in this household either.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Justin Z

• Sharpie

• The Internet

• luckyBatistuta

4 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I know at least 3 Mass State troopers, 1 FBI agent, 1 DEA agent and many local town cops due to soccer coaching here in my local town.

All regular guys (1 female) and good parents. Except one. An absolute $#!t head. A nasty drunk and bully. Hate bumping into him anywhere but the soccer field.

Why is having arseholes in the police tolerated though? The policeman who killed George Floyd had 18 previous complaints about his behaviour but was still in a job. The 'a few bad apples" schtick is apologist bullshit. Chris Rock had a good line about how 'bad apples' aren't allowed to become pilots, so why should they be tolerated as police officers?

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Good man, respect👍

btw, everybody I’ve shown this video hadn’t seen it, never been on the news I’ve watched either. Strange🤔

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

The problem with US policing is that the police tend to view the public as the enemy in day to day life, much as they do at football matches in Scotland.

They are more or less a paramilitary force which acts along political lines instead of being public servants.

That's a really good analogy. The attitude is extremely similar.

And of course as with any group of people there is an arsehole element within it. As it happens, that element is especially high in US police forces: Depending on the figures you consult, 30-40% of US police officers have committed domestic/family abuse, much higher than the population average.

And then of course, there are the good people who are cops, or the "regular guys" if you like. I believe the majority of police officers are good "people". But they are strongarmed by systemic forces to be accomplices to bad cops--at absolute best--which makes them all bad cops, whether they're good people or not. If they weren't, there would be actual accountability. There is not. If you have 1,000 "good cops" protecting 20 bad cops, you have 1,020 bad cops.

Then there's the problem with framing this as a "both sides" issue. One "side" is sworn to protect and serve the public and uphold the Constitution--not view them as an enemy to be assaulted, as you point out they do. They have literally sworn to be held to a higher standard. Instead, the legal doctrine of qualified immunity holds them to a lower standard.

Apologists continue to give them every benefit of the doubt in the face of this overwhelming evidence, which is why we are here today. It is due in large part to enablers of this behaviour that this is happening. The countless stories of brutality and murder where there were no consequences for the officers involved, or often, positive consequences: paid leave (an actual vacation) and reassignment. For doing things regular citizens would be put away for decades for--or given the chair. Blame starts with those who apologise for this.

The Internet
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Good man, respect👍

btw, everybody I’ve shown this video hadn’t seen it, never been on the news I’ve watched either. Strange🤔

Are you trying to imply that the news hasn't been showing violence against the police during these protests? 

I was an Edinburgh policeman for twelve years, worked at games many, many, times, never ever not once did I view the crowd home fans  away fans any of them as the enemy. In Canada I policed a couple of demonstrations, never viewed the participants as the enemy. I watch these demonstrations now, have never thought, called or considered. any of them the enemy. Are the police in this situation at present exemplary I don't think so. Not for the first time I will opine that the police department where this all started is dysfunctional certainly with regard to compliance to their own policies. I have read that some of the disciplinary actions taken in the past were limited or unacted upon because of a strong Police Association leader. I would suggest in the United States there is considerable contradiction in some beliefs, e.g.Black lives matter, for sure thats the cry, whats missing in  some cases is the, as long as they don't move into my neighbourhood. 

For a basically neutral observer of this fiasco, I just don't think the demonstrators or whatever they are who set fire to stores, climb through broken doors and windows and leave running with arms full of goods  do the cause any favors. I also find it not easy to watch two contenders for the Presidency of the United States criticise each other and try to advance their electoral chances by taking opposing views of how this should be handled. If ever there is a time for an appearanc of unity this is it.

38 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

That's a really good analogy. The attitude is extremely similar.

And of course as with any group of people there is an arsehole element within it. As it happens, that element is especially high in US police forces: Depending on the figures you consult, 30-40% of US police officers have committed domestic/family abuse, much higher than the population average.

And then of course, there are the good people who are cops, or the "regular guys" if you like. I believe the majority of police officers are good "people". But they are strongarmed by systemic forces to be accomplices to bad cops--at absolute best--which makes them all bad cops, whether they're good people or not. If they weren't, there would be actual accountability. There is not. If you have 1,000 "good cops" protecting 20 bad cops, you have 1,020 bad cops.

Then there's the problem with framing this as a "both sides" issue. One "side" is sworn to protect and serve the public and uphold the Constitution--not view them as an enemy to be assaulted, as you point out they do. They have literally sworn to be held to a higher standard. Instead, the legal doctrine of qualified immunity holds them to a lower standard.

Apologists continue to give them every benefit of the doubt in the face of this overwhelming evidence, which is why we are here today. It is due in large part to enablers of this behaviour that this is happening. The countless stories of brutality and murder where there were no consequences for the officers involved, or often, positive consequences: paid leave (an actual vacation) and reassignment. For doing things regular citizens would be put away for decades for--or given the chair. Blame starts with those who apologise for this.

You have strong views Justin, and you have the education the profession to do something about it, but you were trying very hard if I read it properly to move to the U.K. do you feel the situation in the United States is so unsolvable at the moment that it is beyond effort.

LA 92 is worth watching on Netflix. Many parallels with the current riots. 

Nothing learned and no progress made since then, sadly. 

15 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Erm, they do have passes and ID to film and shoot what they want. 

Is that the press or the police?

8 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

You have strong views Justin, and you have the education the profession to do something about it, but you were trying very hard if I read it properly to move to the U.K. do you feel the situation in the United States is so unsolvable at the moment that it is beyond effort.

Thank you, Bob. You're right. My cynicism about the situation here has only increased. Being stuck here the past several months, and for the foreseeable future, has just exacerbated that.

The only way I can see the necessary change occurring at this point is through violent revolution. This fills me with sadness, anger, and shame at my nationality and the American legacy.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

Why is having arseholes in the police tolerated though? The policeman who killed George Floyd had 18 previous complaints about his behaviour but was still in a job. The 'a few bad apples" schtick is apologist bullshit. Chris Rock had a good line about how 'bad apples' aren't allowed to become pilots, so why should they be tolerated as police officers?

Police Unions are pretty strong.

31 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Thank you, Bob. You're right. My cynicism about the situation here has only increased. Being stuck here the past several months, and for the foreseeable future, has just exacerbated that.

The only way I can see the necessary change occurring at this point is through violent revolution. This fills me with sadness, anger, and shame at my nationality and the American legacy.

I understand that type of frustration. I experienced my own in Edinburgh and moved to Canada. Best thing I could do.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

Great post, it’s definitely a part of the problem

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Are you trying to imply that the news hasn't been showing violence against the police during these protests? 

Nope

Unknown user
4 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Guess yes.

They were all over Trump too.

We are talking about what is happening now, the way i see it is that they are going to release some very meaty info regarding Trump and his handling  of COVID 19...  Aslo look out for more racist  cops being exposed by them,  being named  and shamed and what they got up to in their past, there will be a "character" attack on them.

101454729_2940049776111875_725616299249500160_n.jpg

You went all in attacking Hillary, remember pizzagate? You were fed alt right shit by cynical money who got to whoever was in charge and you bought it hook, line and sinker. Don't blame you for wanting to distance yourself from it, but it happened.

Anonymous can't be trusted, too easily manipulated by blank faces.

6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Great post, it’s definitely a part of the problem

Nope

The police and its members are only as good as and are a reflection of their leadership. In most places police are overseen by government bodies, e.g Department of Justice, Attorney General someone of that ilk. Policy guidelines are in place but these are only as good as the competence and motivation of who is responsible to manage them. Certainly offending police officers should be prosecuted and to the highest level because of the authority that is given to them. If it had been up  to me to examine this situation and it is if course not, I wouldn't start with the rank and file I would as taught in management principles go to the top, the source of the true problem.

56 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Police Unions are pretty strong.

I thought that, it would be interesting to find out what has been done in the past to discipline or remove him, if it's been tried and found that the union stopped him being sacked.

Minnesotas Attorney General will advise about charges in the Floyd case today. No word on whether that means more charges or no charge. Over a week and still need time to make the announcement. 

alwaysthereinspirit
51 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I thought that, it would be interesting to find out what has been done in the past to discipline or remove him, if it's been tried and found that the union stopped him being sacked.

It'll all come out in the court room. Most likely to show him as an even shittier human than first thought. 

If the reports are accurate. He's a bit of a $cum bag.

alwaysthereinspirit
3 hours ago, Cade said:

The problem with US policing is that the police tend to view the public as the enemy in day to day life, much as they do at football matches in Scotland.

They are more or less a paramilitary force which acts along political lines instead of being public servants.

What part of America did you live in? I've been nowhere over here were I thought the police saw me as the enemy. Ever.

Granted I've never looted but still. It's a job to most of them with a very nice pension at the end if you put in the years.

Of course there are idiots but they're everywhere.

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

You went all in attacking Hillary, remember pizzagate? You were fed alt right shit by cynical money who got to whoever was in charge and you bought it hook, line and sinker. Don't blame you for wanting to distance yourself from it, but it happened.

Anonymous can't be trusted, too easily manipulated by blank faces.

Anonymous highlighted many crimes committed by Clinton.

Pizza gate was not one of them.

And the exposure of her isnt fake alt right propaganda ffs.

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

A lot of people will say that the LAPD under Daryl Gates were the beginning of the way law enforcement works in the US nowadays. His policy of basically turning the LAPD into a paramilitary movement to combat LA gang culture backfired and created an out of control police force, and we all know how that ended up for him. 

If black lifes matter why are there no protests aimed at the culture of rap?

Why are there no protests in favour of stop and search?

If black lifes matter why isnt the attention and focus on the open slave markets in Libya not on the news?

Etc etc etc.

41 minutes ago, Barack said:

Screenshot_20200603-190138_Twitter.jpg

Gee there was a slavering old polis on here about a week ago suggesting that he would have laid those charges last week. Not hard to prove one man on film busy murdering a man and three others  stood by and watched him. Aiding and abetting by neglecting to do their duty knowing a crime was being committed. Even the slavering old fart could have read that one happening about a week into basic police training at Whitburn 1956. The increase  to 2nd degree murder is a good thing also, may not make a great deal of difference if found guilty and a sentence of  fourteen years  or more administered,  but it means that at some stage he again if found guilty will serve time in a Federal Prison among the general population. Personally I think I would ask for the chair, at least it would be fast and somewhat humane. Can you even imagine being alone with about six mega big black dudes who want some compensation for your murder of a brother.

Phase 2 of this whole mess should be the termination of th full management tam of the Police department, and the action of terminating as a fop rather than suspension without pay and immediate criminal investigation, with immediate custody for at least the main offender, although in truth all are equally guilty of causing the mans death.

32 minutes ago, jake said:

If black lifes matter why isnt the attention and focus on the open slave markets in Libya not on the news?

Etc etc etc.

Protests aimed at rap? What?

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

‘guns don’t kill people, rappers do’. 

3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

One of the comments:

"Jim Davidson will be turning in his grave!"  :lol: 

34 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I read all the time about Inflammatory language.

Politically.

What influences young black men ?

The fact is if any of the wailers really cared about black lifes theyd be fekin asking  how capitalism grinds to a halt when half a million die if covid but fek alls done about 9 million deaths through starvation every year.

Mostly children mostly black.

1 guy gets murdered by a fekin clown and suddenly yir aw about it.

I'm more a black lifes matter than all the pretend shite I'm reading.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, jake said:

Anonymous highlighted many crimes committed by Clinton.

Pizza gate was not one of them.

And the exposure of her isnt fake alt right propaganda ffs.

They propagated lies about satan worshipping rings, paedophilia, vague charity abuse accusations. 

Who holds power in anonymous?

How did they get that power? How can it be removed from them?

That's why Anonymous cant be trusted.

9 minutes ago, jake said:

I read all the time about Inflammatory language.

Politically.

What influences young black men ?

The fact is if any of the wailers really cared about black lifes theyd be fekin asking  how capitalism grinds to a halt when half a million die if covid but fek alls done about 9 million deaths through starvation every year.

Mostly children mostly black.

1 guy gets murdered by a fekin clown and suddenly yir aw about it.

I'm more a black lifes matter than all the pretend shite I'm reading.

There are some things in life Jake that we as small little atoms in the sphere of life and space can do nothing about. Politically we certainly can be interested but as you found out on more than one occasion there are a million different opinions, the most important one is to vote which many decide not to do.

What influences young black men, just like young  white men, schoolmates, workmates, brothers sisters, parents, but I would suggest particularly the environment within which they live.

I guess in a way I am a wailer, but not over every black death. Starvation,famine, war thats there not here and nothing I can do about it. But when I watch a man deliberately use for an extended period of time his knee on another mans throat I get a wee bit agitated, I do get a bit more agitated when he listens to the man beg for his life, and call for his mother something I have experienced under different circumstances, but nonetheless heartbreaking. I am not as enraged as some, but I do understand the anger at how easy it was for this man to do this, while being observed by three other police offices all of whom have taken an oath to serve and protect. I also realise that in the United States there is reasonably strong evidence that some police see black persons, in fact  all those of color as being different and not entitled to the same treatment that would be offered a white person under the same circumstances.

I cannot claim to be a black lives matter, you see I am enough of a human being to believe that all lives matter .

Having studied people by education and thirty six years of serving them I accept that some people join groups such as demonstrators, looters and arsonists and shout black lives matter, because some of them deep down don't feel that they matter, so they join in to feel wanted and. part of something.

2 hours ago, jake said:

Etc etc etc.

If the US police stop killing black people or treating them differently, that'll be a big step in the right direction. Because there's no safety net for black people otherwise. Needing help from the police might end up in your death if one of the many white supremacists arrives on the scene.

That white guy robbing you? Not to the police, you're the black one so that instantly means you're committing the crime.

That's daily life not just in the US but around the world for black people. And you are asking why certain things don't make the news here? Maybe because whites decide the news?

7 minutes ago, kila said:

If the US police stop killing black people or treating them differently, that'll be a big step in the right direction. Because there's no safety net for black people otherwise. Needing help from the police might end up in your death if one of the many white supremacists arrives on the scene.

That white guy robbing you? Not to the police, you're the black one so that instantly means you're committing the crime.

That's daily life not just in the US but around the world for black people. And you are asking why certain things don't make the news here? Maybe because whites decide the news?

Bang on the money. 

40 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They propagated lies about satan worshipping rings, paedophilia, vague charity abuse accusations. 

Who holds power in anonymous?

How did they get that power? How can it be removed from them?

That's why Anonymous cant be trusted.

Which info do you trust.

You like legions when he suits your outlook .

Congratulating him .

To use any Clinton to validate your view over legion is a topper I will give you that.

Who tells the truth Smithee?

10 minutes ago, kila said:

The facts dont back your views.

Despite the recent atrocity.

41 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

There are some things in life Jake that we as small little atoms in the sphere of life and space can do nothing about. Politically we certainly can be interested but as you found out on more than one occasion there are a million different opinions, the most important one is to vote which many decide not to do.

What influences young black men, just like young  white men, schoolmates, workmates, brothers sisters, parents, but I would suggest particularly the environment within which they live.

I guess in a way I am a wailer, but not over every black death. Starvation,famine, war thats there not here and nothing I can do about it. But when I watch a man deliberately use for an extended period of time his knee on another mans throat I get a wee bit agitated, I do get a bit more agitated when he listens to the man beg for his life, and call for his mother something I have experienced under different circumstances, but nonetheless heartbreaking. I am not as enraged as some, but I do understand the anger at how easy it was for this man to do this, while being observed by three other police offices all of whom have taken an oath to serve and protect. I also realise that in the United States there is reasonably strong evidence that some police see black persons, in fact  all those of color as being different and not entitled to the same treatment that would be offered a white person under the same circumstances.

I cannot claim to be a black lives matter, you see I am enough of a human being to believe that all lives matter .

Having studied people by education and thirty six years of serving them I accept that some people join groups such as demonstrators, looters and arsonists and shout black lives matter, because some of them deep down don't feel that they matter, so they join in to feel wanted and. part of something.

For someone who cant climb a ladder you certainly are still all there mentally.

I'm going to think about my reply before I post back.

Because there is a lot to reply to.

I've spoken with you before off line and I will always be respectful .

Yirra sound cant Bob.

Instantly my thoughts are that race divisive chat in the US comes from the left as a vote catcher.

It's happening in Europe/UK to.

Most businesses looted and burnt in the US bear nothing what so ever to institutionalise racism 

Policing is by consent.

Would you agree ?

I'm aking that to take this further.

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Are there any black snooker commentators ?

Oh come on, snooker isn't racist. The black is the most valuable ball.

Charge for the cop who was kneeling on George Floyd's neck upgraded to 2nd degree murder.

The three other cops charged with aiding and abetting a 2nd degree murder.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Charge for the cop who was kneeling on George Floyd's neck upgraded to 2nd degree murder.

The three other cops charged with aiding and abetting a 2nd degree murder.

Hell mend them all.

24 minutes ago, jake said:

Instantly my thoughts are that race divisive chat in the US comes from the left

Race divisive chat comes from the left? How hard have you been hitting the bevvy tonight? 

47 minutes ago, kila said:

:greatpost:

Only thing I'd add is that while the effects of police brutality and lack of accountability skew horribly to the negative for people of colour, especially Black people, everyone in this country is impacted by the fact we live in a police state. We solve that root problem, and a shit ton of this goes away for everybody. Still much work to do, but such a better starting point.

26 minutes ago, graygo said:

Oh come on, snooker isn't racist. The black is the most valuable ball.

But the white ball often stuns the black 

Unknown user
53 minutes ago, jake said:

Which info do you trust.

You like legions when he suits your outlook .

Congratulating him .

To use any Clinton to validate your view over legion is a topper I will give you that.

Who tells the truth Smithee?

You just sidestepped everything I said.

Tell you what though, why not quote me congratulating legions, should be easy to find if you're right. 

In response to the rap issue. The classic gangster rap album was surely Straight Outta Compton by NWA. Where did that album and a lot of its anger come from? Daryl Gates’ LAPD. A police force that considered the general black and Hispanic population of LA as fair game in trying to take down gang culture. A targeting of young men as something to be done day to day creating huge resentment. Of course there is a certain element of egg or hen there but the dislike of the police didn’t come from a rappers pen, it was there before the lyrics. 

27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

In response to the rap issue. The classic gangster rap album was surely Straight Outta Compton by NWA. Where did that album and a lot of its anger come from? Daryl Gates’ LAPD. A police force that considered the general black and Hispanic population of LA as fair game in trying to take down gang culture. A targeting of young men as something to be done day to day creating huge resentment. Of course there is a certain element of egg or hen there but the dislike of the police didn’t come from a rappers pen, it was there before the lyrics. 

The dislikes that are present did not come from anything other than the permeating stink of long gone slavery. The blacks community were raised on the stories of cruelty, injustices and totally wrong principles of the practise. Some whites think of the black community as leftovers of the system  and are uppity and a word we do not use anymore thankfully, and should learn their place and not try to be like white people. Of course this myth is totally destroyed by the brilliant black people of science, medicine, teaching and every profession and function carried out, especially in many cases sports where they are seen as heroes even by the biggest haters, like all hates reasons can be found to give them a time out , I hate Hibs for example, but gee I am glad Hibs beat whomever. There is no animal more mixed up and confused than humans.

58 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Race divisive chat comes from the left? How hard have you been hitting the bevvy tonight? 

Yes

And that's your argument?

Your drunk.

Hows voting democrat went for black Americans?

Statistically?

Stateside or Presidential.

Grow up

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

:greatpost:

Only thing I'd add is that while the effects of police brutality and lack of accountability skew horribly to the negative for people of colour, especially Black people, everyone in this country is impacted by the fact we live in a police state. We solve that root problem, and a shit ton of this goes away for everybody. Still much work to do, but such a better starting point.

The facts dont support this post.

Democrats have done nothing for black Americans.

Except send them to prison and war.

Wake up .