Riots in Minneapolis

annushorribilis III

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Trump designating antifa as a terrorist organisation. 

Which is such an "okay boomer" moment. :lol: There aren't membership cards. It's an ideology, and which ideology is right in the name. It would be like designating classical liberalism a terrorist organisation.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Justin Z

• Sharpie

• The Internet

• luckyBatistuta

Oh and also, he doesn't have any authority to do that, under the law, anyway. The 2001 Patriot Act creates a legal definition for "domestic terrorism". It gives no process or power to designate a domestic group (of any sort) a domestic terrorist organisation. That process is for foreign groups only.

William H. Bonney
40 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

And now  cheese cake factories are being looted (need audio on).

Cheesecake Factory is looted. A woman walks out with a whole cheesecake.

‘unclear where they may have got that’ 

annushorribilis III
2 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

I'll never slag off Sportsound again. 😄

I think just about anyone you'd ask wants an end put to this as quickly as possible, and go after its root causes. So how is that effectuated?

More of this: A Tennessee police chief had a message for fellow law enforcement: turn in your badge if 'you don't have an issue' with George Floyd's death

"There is no need to see more video. There no need to wait to see how 'it plays out'. There is no need to put a knee on someone's neck for NINE minutes. There IS a need to DO something. If you wear a badge and you don't have an issue with this...turn it in," Roddy wrote.

Literally NONE of this: When Police View Citizens as Enemies: The thin blue line looks like it’s ready to invade a foreign nation.

Police officers clash with protesters

The police and the U.S. military are separate institutions because policing a community and fighting a war are supposed to be separate jobs. In traditional “wars,” both sides are heavily armed. In Minnesota, only the agents of the state appear to be wearing body armor and carrying long guns. And yet: State officials are calling this “warfare” on official public channels.

. . . 

“War” is not how public officials have referred to the protests by pro-Confederate and white-nationalist groups in recent years; those gatherings have not generally been dispersed by tear gas and rubber bullets. Nor were the armed “Liberate” protesters who swarmed the Michigan statehouse earlier this month removed by force; instead, the legislature canceled its session. But perhaps it was inevitable that officials would turn to military language as demonstrations spread across the country this week. In cities large and small, police departments are now outfitted like military units. When you’re driving an armored vehicle down Main Street, civilians can begin to look like insurgents.

Edited by Justin Z

The more I read this thread the more I despair. Just like the demonstrations it has become a discussion of personal views on all things particularly edging on political.  The facts are three policemen watched while another put his knee on a mans throat and exerted pressure until he died. The fact is whatever the mans color, race, religion or political followings were ,he was illegally dispatched from life. It has been shown at least to me that the relevant police department was dysfunctional. A man with the disciplinary record   such as has been reported should never have been allowed to continue in the service. He it would seem was a total non follower of the rules, this is definitely not the criteria for a competent police officer. The actions of the department were pathetic, they fired the officers almost immediately, an admission of guilt and acceptance of the facts. However termination of employment was just not appropriate for the offence committed, arrest of at least the actual witnessed offender was the absolute least that should have happened, suspension with action against those who neglected their duty under force policy, with probable criminal charges for lack of protective action should also have ben initiated. This may have at least  shown general public that the matter was not being ignored, particularly as it involved a man who is part of a group seen as victimised by police. 

The lack of appropriate action gave those with a true complaint, and unfortunately those who would profit by it the facility to project their particular interest. This forum is an example, we have people who possibly never even spoken to a police officer referring to them as f......g police, why what did they do to you, the police, believe it or not are actually not robots they are fathers, mothers, brothers sisters just like you. Just like you when someone spits on them, pushes them, disobeys their lawful order they react, and sometimes yes if you push they will react as any other of you would do. Now even on here we are involving Biden, Trump, groups, and politics, I have said it before we have reached a stage of almost tribal insanity. Lets concentrate on the basic fact, the man was killed, a punishment far in excess of any punishment for any crime he may have been alleged to have commited, and so far no crime has been identified.  What we should be concerned about is will the punishment to the killer fit the crime. Murder three carries a possible sentence of 25 years, for him if sentenced ,a possible long term in a Federal Institution with fellow inmates, many black, and having committed similar heinous offences, and he a former police officer who murdered a defenceless black man, that is justice.

9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Would always mistrust a source begging to "go viral".

I may be looking at the video wrong and I hear the police strongly advise on numerous occasions people to go into their homes, I then see a police officer fire what is probably the rubber bullet type round if not actually a noise maker round, into space  and not at a person.

Captain Price
11 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I may be looking at the video wrong and I hear the police strongly advise on numerous occasions people to go into their homes, I then see a police officer fire what is probably the rubber bullet type round if not actually a noise maker round, into space  and not at a person.

You’re definitely looking at the video wrong.

I am not sure I ever said in my post that it was o.k. I was merely pointing out that I saw one round fired from a long barrel weapon consistent with those us d for firing rubber bullets or sometimes tears gas. Not the type of weapon used to fire at people other than with a rubber round that is more to deter than injure.

manaliveits105

Marches in Cardiff Manchester and London in solidarity - not adhering to social distancing - absolute rockets - here comes wave 2 

7 minutes ago, Captain Price said:

You’re definitely looking at the video wrong.

Am I the caption Is saw was Police shooting at civilians on their own property. The video I saw was police ordering people to go into their homes, I then saw a missile launched into an open garden area to encourage the same people to get into their house. A wee bit different from at and shooting people.

Edited by Sharpie

54 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Their carrotcake cheesecake is the best pudding I've ever eaten. I'd loot a shop for one

31 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Sharpie, It's a term I've only heard in Vietnam war films, as a former military/cop can you advise what, "Light em up" means here?

28 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I am not sure I ever said in my post that it was o.k. I was merely pointing out that I saw one round fired from a long barrel weapon consistent with those us d for firing rubber bullets or sometimes tears gas. Not the type of weapon used to fire at people other than with a rubber round that is more to deter than injure.

It's also worth noting that the general curfew order explicitly permitted people to be outside on their own properties, after 8pm. It's literally the police breaking the law here. As they do all the time, and as they get away with in America, 99.99% of the time.

Even if they didn't, this was entirely the wrong response anyway, so that they did is even worse.

This is a right wing/libertarian publication and they get it:

Nation's Cops Seem Determined To Demonstrate Why People Are Protesting Them in the First Place

Tanya Kerssen was standing on her front porch filming the procession of armored vehicles and riot gear–clad troops rolling through Whittier, a neighborhood a few blocks north of where protests over the killing of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, had recently turned into riots. The National Guard had been called in to help restore order and enforce an 8 p.m. curfew set by Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz. Kerssen was complying with that order—the curfew applies only to public spaces, not private ones like residences, porches, or front yards—but she became a target anyway.

"Light 'em up!" someone can be heard shouting in the video. Then bean bag rounds and paint canisters are fired at Kerssen and others, who quickly flee inside.

Cops can do all that and more as outlined in the article above with impunity, but in Arizona, as told by my colleague at the Public Defender's office . . .

image.png.a3faa0a6df9b1a9db6c110a09a0cd7c4.png

15 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Sharpie, It's a term I've only heard in Vietnam war films, as a former military/cop can you advise what, "Light em up" means here?

No

I've been to USA a few times. New York, Washington DC, Vegas, LA, (twice), San Fransisco, Seattle and I've found it to be an interesting vibrant place but the difference between rich and poor, for some reason seems to be a lot more visible there. It's not the most subtle place, things aren't as hidden there if that makes sense. 

I don't see the divide between the public and law enforcement there ever changing until investment in community policing, interventions, prevention and engagement is equivalent to that spent on the enforcement side and it never will be.From my experience in this country policing is and has to be by consent. You can't win a "war" on drugs or crime. It has to be with the cooperation/participation of the community. Marginalise a community and you lose it. 

11 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

It's also worth noting that the general curfew order explicitly permitted people to be outside on their own properties, after 8pm. It's literally the police breaking the law here. As they do all the time, and as they get away with in America, 99.99% of the time.

Even if they didn't, this was entirely the wrong response anyway, so that they did is even worse.

This is a right wing/libertarian publication and they get it:

Nation's Cops Seem Determined To Demonstrate Why People Are Protesting Them in the First Place

Tanya Kerssen was standing on her front porch filming the procession of armored vehicles and riot gear–clad troops rolling through Whittier, a neighborhood a few blocks north of where protests over the killing of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, had recently turned into riots. The National Guard had been called in to help restore order and enforce an 8 p.m. curfew set by Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz. Kerssen was complying with that order—the curfew applies only to public spaces, not private ones like residences, porches, or front yards—but she became a target anyway.

"Light 'em up!" someone can be heard shouting in the video. Then bean bag rounds and paint canisters are fired at Kerssen and others, who quickly flee inside.

Justin supportive of a quote from a right-wing source and using it to back up his argument. My world has turned upside down. ;)

28 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

In this context, I would take it to mean "Fire!"

Just now, redjambo said:

Justin supportive of a quote from a right-wing source and using it to back up his argument. My world has turned upside down. ;)

:lol: 

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

People in London shouting FT police.... wtf!?? they do know it was a US cop right?

Probably best to go out on a limb and assume most of them are aware of that. Maybe there's more to it than just that?

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Probably best to go out on a limb and assume most of them are aware of that. Maybe there's more to it than just that?

Don't get me wrong I'm fully aware that racist incidents will still happen everywhere - hopefully a small number - but surely the majority of people protesting in the UK today are just doing it for the sake of it? It's like the London riots, people jumped on it in different cities for nothing to do with the original incident which sparked it.

Not fully read up but is the US Cop getting jail time? reckon he might leave prison in a box if so.

7 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Don't get me wrong I'm fully aware that racist incidents will still happen everywhere - hopefully a small number - but surely the majority of people protesting in the UK today are just doing it for the sake of it? It's like the London riots, people jumped on it in different cities for nothing to do with the original incident which sparked it.

Not fully read up but is the US Cop getting jail time? reckon he might leave prison in a box if so.

Been charged with murder. Rightly so.

Just now, Jeff said:

He's charged with third degree murder and second-degree manslaughter, which people are unhappy about, to put it mildly. 

Here's the relevant part of the first degree statute:

609.185 MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.

(a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of murder in the first degree and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life:

(1) causes the death of a human being with premeditation and with intent to effect the death of the person or of another;

And of the second:

609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

Subdivision 1.Intentional murder; drive-by shootings.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation; or

And of the third:

609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.

(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

And of the manslaughter statutes:

609.20 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.

Whoever does any of the following is guilty of manslaughter in the first degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 15 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $30,000, or both:

(1) intentionally causes the death of another person in the heat of passion provoked by such words or acts of another as would provoke a person of ordinary self-control under like circumstances, provided that the crying of a child does not constitute provocation;

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another;

So basically they're already playing the game of "he didn't mean to kill him" as the official government position on what happened. Now notice they've charged him for two wrongful death crimes at the same time, murder and manslaughter which is a "lesser included offence" of murder. Whether Minnesota law would specifically allow you to charge someone with say first degree murder and second degree murder as a lesser included offence, or whether it has to be a murder/manslaughter combination, I'm not sure, but in most jurisdictions it's permissible to do it any way they want. So I believe they could have charged him with both first and third degree murder, but instead, they've basically already said, "this wasn't intentional, so we're going to charge it as an involuntary homicide" type of thing which is just an absolute farce if you've seen the video.

Also notice that only the first degree murder charge contains the language "shall be" as regards the sentence. The others say "may be" which gives the judge a great deal of discretion as to what sentence to impose.

As for being arrested and jailed right now, my understanding is that the cop is being housed away from other inmates, completely in isolation.

2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Been charged with murder. Rightly so.

Have they said if he will be isolated? Hope not

3 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Have they said if he will be isolated? Hope not

Don't even know if he was remanded. Would imagine so but it's the US so who knows?

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

He's charged with third degree murder and second-degree manslaughter, which people are unhappy about, to put it mildly. 

Here's the relevant part of the first degree statute:

609.185 MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.

(a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of murder in the first degree and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life:

(1) causes the death of a human being with premeditation and with intent to effect the death of the person or of another;

And of the second:

609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

Subdivision 1.Intentional murder; drive-by shootings.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation; or

And of the third:

609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.

(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

And of the manslaughter statutes:

609.20 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.

Whoever does any of the following is guilty of manslaughter in the first degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 15 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $30,000, or both:

(1) intentionally causes the death of another person in the heat of passion provoked by such words or acts of another as would provoke a person of ordinary self-control under like circumstances, provided that the crying of a child does not constitute provocation;

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another;

So basically they're already playing the game of "he didn't mean to kill him" as the official government position on what happened. Now notice they've charged him for two wrongful death crimes at the same time, murder and manslaughter which is a "lesser included offence" of murder. Whether Minnesota law would specifically allow you to charge someone with say first degree murder and second degree murder as a lesser included offence, or whether it has to be a murder/manslaughter combination, I'm not sure, but in most jurisdictions it's permissible to do it any way they want. So I believe they could have charged him with both first and third degree murder, but instead, they've basically already said, "this wasn't intentional, so we're going to charge it as an involuntary homicide" type of thing which is just an absolute farce if you've seen the video.

Also notice that only the first degree murder charge contains the language "shall be" as regards the sentence. The others say "may be" which gives the judge a great deal of discretion as to what sentence to impose.

As for being arrested and jailed right now, my understanding is that the cop is being housed away from other inmates, completely in isolation.

Wtf!? 'culpable negligence'... That's a shocker

Cheers for posting all of that, very interesting and certainly eye opening.

15 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I have no sympathy for the Cop but he is entitled to what he so fatally denied his victim,and that is a Trial by his peers to prove innocence or guilt. So there is no decision if he will be sentencd or what the likely sentence is until that Trial takes place and concludes.

Tennant's  6's

Militarized police in Minneapolis firing rubber bullets at anyone that won't go indoors on Last Anwricsn Vagabond,  Tim Poole or Jimmy Dore had videos of cops grabbing a guy & beating the shit out of him whilst forming a wall to stop anyone helping him. 

I guess the Israeli gov training is coming in handy now when oppressing a population.

Horrendous stuff 

4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Wtf!? 'culpable negligence'... That's a shocker

Cheers for posting all of that, very interesting and certainly eye opening.

Culpable negligence as a legal standard is most often applied to things like reckless driving where there's an accident and someone dies as a result. Arsehole behaviour? Yes. Any kind of intent to have that arsehole behaviour take someone's life--or even to harm anyone else at all? No. What a massive difference between that and what this cop did.

You're damn right it's a shocker. :sad:

7 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Culpable negligence as a legal standard is most often applied to things like reckless driving where there's an accident and someone dies as a result. Arsehole behaviour? Yes. Any kind of intent to have that arsehole behaviour take someone's life--or even to harm anyone else at all? No. What a massive difference between that and what this cop did.

First thing I thought of was someone fecking about at work which has caused an accident. This is nothing like that.

2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

First thing I thought of was someone fecking about at work which has caused an accident. This is nothing like that.

Yes. That's a great example too.

12 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I thought I had heard at the time that there was a possibility that the charge could be raised to1st Degree.is that a possibility after further evidence and witnesses could be scanned and interviewed, for example one of the other three giving evidence that statements were made regarding what the intent may have been.

7 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I thought I had heard at the time that there was a possibility that the charge could be raised to1st Degree.is that a possibility after further evidence and witnesses could be scanned and interviewed, for example one of the other three giving evidence that statements were made regarding what the intent may have been.

This possibility does exist in Minnesota as far as I'm aware. However I can tell you from practicing law I've never seen it happen to a non-police officer criminal defendant without significant new evidence emerging. I don't know what that evidence would be in this case, and considering the fact the defendant is a police officer makes it even less likely.

It's also worth mentioning that the official autopsy states there was no evidence Floyd died of asphyxiation, putting the blame instead on underlying health conditions and "potential intoxicants" in addition to his being "restrained". Thankfully, Floyd's family will be getting a second opinion.

Viewing these things as a whole, this comes across as such a blatant stitch-up.

Edited by Justin Z

Tennant's  6's
20 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

This is heartwrenching. Imagine how scared his family are now, 24/7, considering what has happened to developmentally disabled and mentally ill people and their carers at the hands of US cops before.

Autistic.png.662808320e2036fbcb4393f48a12cc88.png

That is such a sad sight.

I seen a clip of Denzel Washington intervening to help a homeless guy who was confronted by cops. 

Chris Hedges does talk & write about the neo slavery of mass incarceration,  the Kalief browder doc could probably be used for hundreds of folk every yr..

19 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

This possibility does exist in Minnesota as far as I'm aware. However I can tell you from practicing law I've never seen it happen to a non-police officer criminal defendant without significant new evidence emerging. I don't know what that evidence would be in this case, and considering the fact the defendant is a police officer makes it even less likely.

It's also worth mentioning that the official autopsy states there was no evidence Floyd died of asphyxiation, putting the blame instead on underlying health conditions and "potential intoxicants" in addition to his being "restrained". Thankfully, Floyd's family will be getting a second opinion.

Viewing these things as a whole, this comes across as such a blatant stitch-up.

I normally would after a 36year  career be very protective of police actions. In this case not for the first time, and generally relating to American cases I cannot follow that practise. This one I find particularly bad, nothing to do with the demonstrations, or any of the follow up happenings strictly that day the murder happened. The sight of a police officer doing what he did is nothing less than repulsive,  the fact that none of the three other officers had the integrity to say thats enough, or stop it now is equally disgusting. The actions of the police department post incident are also just totally incomprehensible. No arrest, no immediate consideration of charges, a personnel disciplinary action the only response ,terrible. And as I have said often the presence of this man as an active police officer on the street with his disciplinary record totally incomprehensible. I am not or at least try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but i fI was involved and had the authority everything including autopsies and other lab tests etc. would be moved to another uninvolved  jurisdiction. I am a dyed in the wool old polis, I have served from probationary constable to senior rank which gave me a seat on the Board of Directors in a major Corporation and I have honestly never seen anything like this, and I have seen some questionably administered police departments.

Edited by Sharpie

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

I normally would after a 36year  career be very protective of police actions. In this case not for the first time, and generally relating to American cases I cannot follow that practise.

. . .

I am a dyed in the wool old polis, I have served from probationary constable to senior rank which gave me a seat on the Board of Directors in a major Corporation and I have honestly never seen anything like this, and I have seen some questionably administered police departments.

Your understanding, especially in the context of who you are and what your profession was, is appreciated a lot.

In the year 2020 we have mobile phones and cameras and the response we're seeing around the country from the militarised police forces in the USA are nothing new--it's just that now it can be documented in excruciating detail. They have resisted oversight, they have resisted culpability, they continue to be sued for their brutality to the tune of billions of dollars annually which comes out of the tax coffers. Reform is needed so, so badly.

Boston Jambo
4 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

It means to open fire on someone. 

1 hour ago, Boston Jambo said:

It means to open fire on someone. 

I am sure it does, I was not in the American army I was in an elite Regiment of the Brigade of Guards. Our training started in Caterham Barracks for twelve weeks which was described by Canadian army officers visiting to get ideas for their recruit training programs. They described the Depot as Hell on Earth for these young men. After initial training we went to Pirbright Camp for advanced infantry training. There was one way to do everything the Guards way, and that involved for all things including discharge of weapons to standardised orders such as  Fire, or open fire.In the Edinburgh police if we were and we were not ever told to light em up we would have switched on our flashlights. Thats why my police and military service was one of obeying the well laid down rules, understanding that we were there to provide a service and were provided rules laws and proper procedures to do so. Not a bunch of as it seems in some places guys deciding individual rules policies and actions.

By the way I was seventeen when I went to Caterham and twenty when I left Wellington Barracks with the three stripes of a sergeant on my arms.

A small example of how the Regiment protected their image. One morning as a sergeant of the Buckingham Palace guard I joined the RSM on a pre inspection of the guard. I noticed one guardsman had his rifle back from the toe cap of his boot as the at attention stance required, I gently moved it forward with my foot, and was  promptly advised by the RSM never to do that again as someone may allege I kicked the Guardsman and thus caused the Regiment embarassment. Thats rules.

Curfew has been imposed in Arizona. 8pm. Nobody was getting stopped during the social distancing order--and I mean nobody. Hillbilly arseholes waving guns around at the state capitol without masks? Nothing. Now? Walk three feet off your porch after 8 o'clock and you're in violation. For many people, that could be from their porch to their garage.

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/1267236764520833025

The usual suspects support it, completely hypocritically and nonsensically. And our governor is an incompetent moron.

alwaysthereinspirit

My home town Boston the latest to be torn up and set afire by the scummy cowards.
They sure do travel well. Easy to destroy something or somewhere that you have no connection to. Disgusting animals.
I would imagine the usual subjects will be around soon enough to explain to me my ignorance and misunderstanding of what I’m seeing and what their goal is.

I'm just waiting for someone to try to rush the Whitehouse, carnage will ensue and then what's happened up to now will seem like a Hibs v Rangers cup final.

40 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

My home town Boston the latest to be torn up and set afire by the scummy cowards.
They sure do travel well. Easy to destroy something or somewhere that you have no connection to. Disgusting animals.
I would imagine the usual subjects will be around soon enough to explain to me my ignorance and misunderstanding of what I’m seeing and what their goal is.

We know you really hate being pulled up for being a racism apologist and get very emotional about it, so we'll just leave it at that. :thumbsup: Have a pleasant evening.