SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Captain Canada

If the money is to cover testing as people have said, it won't be much use to clubs with a squad of 3 or 4 players. Where will the money come from to offer 16/17 players new contracts and then train for 6 weeks and potentially play for 5 months with little to no income coming in?

Will we see the Championship end up being the standard of an amateur or youth league? 

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Class of 75
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Was on pie and Bovril earlier and it’s actually worse. Just full of conspiracy theorists and Dunfermline guys saying that sinking millions in isn’t enough and a waste of time 😀. They’ve no money but money isn’t the answer 🤔

Envious. Pub team mentality. 🤣

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Of course it affects clubs, the spfl is the source of income, but if we sue and win the money comes from the company we're suing. Letters don't go out to their shareholders, if you have shares in British gas and they get sued are you expecting a bill through the door?

But if I have shares and they go bust I don't expect my shares will be worth anything.

13 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Because the money is (apparently) to pay for testing costs ?

This will all be codified - no way will Doncaster be able to ring fence this to pay off any possible legal claims. He is not being given a sponsors' cheque so HE can decide what to do with it. 

I think it may go further than this in practice. If I were a wealthy philanthropist (I wish) and decided to donate funds to Scottish football to help it through the Covid 19 pandemic, I think I might pause on writing the cheque if a member club has just raised a multi-million pound court action against the very thing I was looking to help.

After all, the last thing I would want to happen is for my money to be used directly or indirectly to pay for something that is a completely unnecessary result of the Covid 19 pandemic. That would just be silly.

Or maybe people think that the whole purpose of my philanthropy is to ensure there's enough money for the team I support to get paid if it wins the court action? Surely, I could just avoid the risk, the lawyers' fees and general bad press and  give the money straight to us?

1 minute ago, Captain Canada said:

If the money is to cover testing as people have said, it won't be much use to clubs with a squad of 3 or 4 players. Where will the money come from to offer 16/17 players new contracts and then train for 6 weeks and potentially play for 5 months with little to no income coming in?

Will we see the Championship end up being the standard of an amateur or youth league? 

Your first sentence is the funniest thing that's been on here for days.  What a shambles it all is.

CavySlaveJambo
23 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

If championship clubs can't afford testing then we won't have anybody to play and could be 2 seasons before we back up 

In which case the duty of care would be on the SPFL to make sure teams who could afford to play, CAN play.  

Partick are still signing players so expecting to play this season. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

But if I have shares and they go bust I don't expect my shares will be worth anything.

The guy I disagreed with said the the clubs are equally liable in court, I'm not arguing against anything else.

16 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Court case won't be about trying to reverse expelling us ! Any action will be for compensation I've been told 

Well, it should be. The vote wasn't passed.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

As you are someone with “experience of litigation,”, I would genuinely be interested in your views on the following scenario:-

You have x years experience as a Solicitor at law firm xyz.

You are an LLP (Limited Liability Partner) at that time with law firm xyz.

Later in your career, you subsequently hold the CEO position in a National Sporting organisation.
That National Sporting organisation subsequently appoints the same law firm xyz to its panel of law advisers.

The law firm xyz trumpets this appointment in a fanfare of publicity and quotes the aforementioned CEO, but there is absolutely no mention of that person having previously been employed by law firm xyz.

Out of the top 50 law firms, law firm xyz is ranked near the bottom end in the rankings table.

The good offices of law firm xyz look destined to be engaged in a high profile case, with the aforementioned CEO of that National Sporting organisation who it transpires is a key cause for that complaint.

How would you view the above scenario? It doesn’t look good, does it? And it would look a damn site worse if the LLP was a sleeping partner. Not that I am suggesting any impropriety here - not at all. But it doesn’t look good or very “professional”.

Thoughts?

Thoughts are that I have no idea what any of that has to do with my post!

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, CavySlaveJambo said:

In which case the duty of care would be on the SPFL to make sure teams who could afford to play, CAN play.  

Partick are still signing players so expecting to play this season. 

Duty of care from that mob was smashed to pieces when they started throwing clubs under a bus relegating them and abandoning the pyramid 

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I meant to add, I remember in one of Ashley's cases against the rangers he got a 7 figure sum ringfenced from their funds in case they lost as he believed they'd have trouble paying.

I wonder if a public admission from a senior figure that the SPFL couldn't afford to pay out would justify similar for us. 

Could we request the courts ringfence 4 million of the sky money in case they lose?

We would probably ask the court to do so. Difficult one though as the court is usually pretty reluctant to make that sort of order.

14 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

If clubs go bust, won't they just be demoted to the bottom division, like Rangers were?

Rangers were liquidated they are dead - Rangers mark 2 is a new company and is heading the same way

How many times do folk have to point this out??

Pasquale for King

Mr Anderson hasn’t got to where he is without being able to deal with a pair of idiots like Doncaster and MacLennan. He could afford to buy every ****ing club in the country ffs. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Jambo66 said:

Well, it should be. The vote wasn't

The legal advice is more chance winning compensation claim then reversing expelled decision 

Hectormasson
9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I have to say. If there isn’t anything to this, and if we genuinely have a hearts fan and Ann Budge friend who’s voluntarily gifts money into teams who have shafted us !! that will be the biggest joke in history.. I’d be apoplectic with rage.  

So would very many ' we would imagine , let's hope it works out for hearts somehow 🤞🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Unknown user

We would probably ask the court to do so. Difficult one though as the court is usually pretty reluctant to make that sort of order.

That would be throwing a bag of cats right into the pigeons

:pleasing:

Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

The legal advice is more chance winning compensation claim then reversing expelled decision 

Slightly different point then. Most cases go forward with more than one distinct argument. I don't see any particular reason not to push both. You only really need one of them to win.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The guy I disagreed with said the the clubs are equally liable in court, I'm not arguing against anything else.

So you agree the clubs are not individually equally liable to us in court if we take the SPFL or the clubs in aggregate to court?

Edited by Francis Albert

2 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

My take from Ann's initial "Aunt Sally" proposal, was that clubs would need to decide for themselves what the issues they face are. And that support would be available, and that the SPFL and all members should be sympathetic to all circumstances. So that for example some (or all) L2 clubs could decide to mothball for a season because the expense of testing and playing with no matchday income would be too much. Some L1 clubs may be in a similar position, bu others may be able to survive on only playing half a season on reduced capacity. Some Champ clubs would be the same as some of those L1 clubs, others would be able to play a full season, even behind closed doors if required. All current Prem teams should be able to play bcd. 

If any, especially lower league clubs need financial help to either stay alive in mothballs or pay for testing (as an example) then financial support is there for them 

There would be no penalties as such for any clubs. The SPFL will help all their members in these crisis times. 

Hectormasson
4 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Duty of care from that mob was smashed to pieces when they started throwing clubs under a bus relegating them and abandoning the pyramid 

correct ,  absolute  c....s !      

Lone Striker
23 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

A lot of negativity about JA and his cash. Let’s not forget that 42 clubs of varying wealth (mostly living hand to mouth) are now realising how Covid is affecting the game. If a good number of clubs go bust then the future of our game is in jeopardy!

Think not only about the lack of competition at the top but a weakened SPL means the game as a whole suffers. To make sure there is a competition , we need the lower leagues (perhaps not 4 divisions I agree). But where do top clubs like us send their youth players to improve before slotting them into our 1st team squad. And clubs like us need the wee teams for that very reason. We are a youth developing team after all!

So it makes sense to save the game when big picture the very essence of Scottish football is in doubt. 

Some fans are angry that teams are looking after their own interests here! They will do when their existence is in the balance. It’s a natural reaction. 

I think that once The survival of clubs is assured then perhaps chairmen will be able to reflect more on what has happened.

Some clubs will still struggle and maybe reconstruction will be forced (I hope) because some will die. 

I don’t want to spend a season in the Championship, our expulsion is unfair because of Covid. But I would rather survive this epidemic and play in the second tier with dignity and on a high moral ground, which I also believe AB has said in her interview on Sportsound. 

If reconstruction results in us playing SPL in August then brilliant. But in today’s uncertain world I will be happy just to survive Covid well, be the team that didn’t let its fellow SPFL members down (despite them being self preservationists) and we can never be criticised for being anti-Scottish football. 

Fair points - basically agree with you.  It's about the only logical reason I can see for Ann introducing JA to the situation - they both seem to adhere to honourable values and behaviour.    And you're right, us fans  should be proud that Hearts will have played a part in helping Scottish football survive the crisis.  Total shame on Celtic for having done feck all.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Slightly different point then. Most cases go forward with more than one distinct argument. I don't see any particular reason not to push both. You only really need one of them to win.

Only saying what been told buddy ! They got the votes to call the season even though we all know it was a shambles etc

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So you agree the clubs are not equally liable to us in court if we take the SPFL or the clubs in aggregate to court?

The way I see it the SPFL would be liable to us, they're a corporation, they're the legal entity we're up against.

I suppose technically the clubs would be equally liable in court in as much as none of them are liable at all - if we won then award would be made against the SPFL, not individual shareholders.

Edited by Smithee

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

The way I see it the SPFL would be liable to us, they're a corporation, they're the legal entity we're up against.

I suppose technically the clubs would be equally liable in court in as much as none of them are liable at all - if we won award would be made against the SPFL, not individual shareholders.

But the SPFLwould  only be able to meet any award by the court through funding by its shareholders? 

4 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Only saying what been told buddy ! They got the votes to call the season even though we all know it was a shambles etc

It wasn't just a shambles, it broke Company Law.

Edited by SUTOL
typo

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I suppose technically the clubs would be equally liable in court in as much as none of them are liable at all - if we won award would be made against the SPFL, not individual shareholders.

The 41 other clubs would be held liable for any legal action taken, Neil Doncaster has came out and said as such that the SPFL hold no cash reserves. They are a hand to mouth organisation for the clubs so any money that comes in is then distributed out to all clubs.

pettigrewsstylist

Nobody of influence or means really cares about the good of Scottish football. OF only won title for 35 yrs and counting. Celtic doing treble trebles, national team performance.

I reckon shedding a dozen or so clubs may be for the best tbh.

It may also wake up the apothetic.

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, SUTOL said:

It wasn't just a shambles, it broke Company Law.

I'm not disagreeing with you buddy ! Only saying what I was told is there's more chance of winning compensation case than there is reversing being expelled and compensation the route we'll be going down if we do go down legal route 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c2fbc545b549e50f8bedf1823fe72401.jpeg

Why would you need to work to develop a concrete proposal, am I thick or something! Just say here’s our bank details or ask the clubs to forward there bank details. Divide it up equally so there’s no one screwed over like we were.

Is it around a £100k a month for each club below the top division

9 months, 30 clubs, 

Around £25m he's footing, that can't be correct? 

If so, surely just pump that Into us from the championship we'll be 3rd in the top league and challenging in no time. 

**** everyone else. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

9 months, 30 clubs, 

If so, surely just pump that Into us from the championship we'll be 3rd in the top league and challenging in no time. 

**** everyone else. 

100k a season 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I’ve thought about it a bit more.

What if the money to be handed over is enough to cover any financial “shortfall” from the Sky deal, therefore no club suffers any financial loss due to reconstructs therefore the voting bar that has to be oases is lowered?

im still trying to get my head around it all.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Or does this Anderson bloke convince Doncaster that this is an emergency  situation - with or without the money - and the SPFL can force through reconstruction that way.

Is it simply about getting someone into a virtual room with Doncaster who isn’t Liewell who is independent of this shit show and actually manages to get Doncaster’s attention enough to make him do something like a leader.

One thing that struck me about Ann’s interview at the weekend was that she mentioned the option of the SPFL effectively forcing reconstruction through due to this being an emergency situation

She then very specifically said - I’m not sure about that I haven’t read that article in the rules.

I don’t believe that for a second - there is no way on gods earth that Ann generally won’t have been advised of this article but more specifically she wouldn’t specifically refer to it in an interview and not know what it said.

I was puzzled about this at the time but this must have been part of the strategy - maybe to continue with the “daft lassie” kind of thing. 

I can’t put my finger on it but she knows what that article says for sure. 

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

The 41 other clubs would be held liable for any legal action taken, Neil Doncaster has came out and said as such that the SPFL hold no cash reserves. They are a hand to mouth organisation for the clubs so any money that comes in is then distributed out to all clubs.

Only if they sometimes vote for stuff they want to push through.

18 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you buddy ! Only saying what I was told is there's more chance of winning compensation case than there is reversing being expelled and compensation the route we'll be going down if we do go down legal route 

Just reinforcing your point. 

As for court cases, if we did get the vote nulled , it would just be done again and due to spite it would likely pass now anyway. 

So the pragmatic approach is probably to accept that fate, however distasteful that may be and seek suitable compensation, for ourselves (and others). 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

9 months, 30 clubs, 

**** everyone else. 

It’s £50 a test, on 30 tests 3 times a week that’s £4.5k,  say £20k a month, x 30 that’s £600k x 9 months that’s £5.4m if it’s needed for the whole season.  Do I get a gold star 😜?

Unknown user
30 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

I'm not saying the clubs wouldn't be affected, I'm saying that in terms of legal liability the SPFL is liable for the SPFL's debts. If it can't pay them it'll go bust.

Central Belt 1874
28 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

But if we win compensation of x millions, that's going to lead to reconstruction though isint it? As most clubs cant afford to pay and neither can the SPFL. Clubs will go bust or mothball and reconstruction would be inevitable. The leagues would need to be reorganised. 

The legal route is unbelievably strong. The fallout from it though would be long lasting. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Or maybe Anderson’s role is partly to convince Doncaster we ain’t messing re court and the amount we are going for, with the uncertainty of the Covid situ is way higher than £4m and if he doesn’t sort it he will be damaging 15 to 20 clubs severely and not just 3.

Still working it through... Still not got a scooby 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

But if we win compensation of x millions, that's going to lead to reconstruction though isint it? As most clubs cant afford to pay and neither can the SPFL. Clubs will go bust or mothball and reconstruction would be inevitable. The leagues would need to be reorganised. 

The legal route is unbelievably strong. The fallout from it though would be long lasting. 

It really depends how quickly all this happens, the season is supposed to be starting in 8 weeks time, Celtic want their fixtures so it will be done soon. I was hoping the threat of a court case would help clubs reconsider reconstruction but no, they’re so bitter and twisted that they can’t even seem to accept money from someone who wants nothing in return. 

colinmaroon
4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

So you called him that before then?   Eh???  "Mr" Anderson to you, Jim to those who know him

Pathetic is trying to preach an opinion un-Christian like being someone in your position.  Not even English!

Overly aggressive too.   

“Then Jesus will say to those on his left [unbelievers] , ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.   For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’   Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’   Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these [my followers], you did not do it to me.’  And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Oh Jesus, that's not very Christian of you and a bit aggressive!

Guest ToqueJambo
27 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

If it gets to that stage it will all be on the SPFL and the clubs themselves. In a climate where governments are spending billions to keep businesses and individuals afloat because that's their responsibility to do so and it's just the right thing to do, a football league is deliberately putting some of its members at risk for no reason.

Edited by ToqueJambo

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1344359/dundee-united-supporters-foundation-investment-vote/

he Tangerines have to try and find a way to keep their head above water during a crippling global pandemic while at the same time pushing forward with their ambitious academy plans.

But their plea for a six-figure sum of fans’ money lays bare the potential incompatibility of the two forces.

It’s not as simple as the Dundee United Supporters’ Foundation handing over £100,000 that will be ring-fenced for Andy Goldie and his academy.

The harsh truth is that no such guarantee can be given.

The club, and the DUSF steering group which has been in discussions with them, haven’t tried to hide from that fact.

In the 11-point document the Foundation have put to their members, they say the investment will help to ensure “the club’s short-term liquidity”.

And in the United board of directors’ introductory statement, the need for assistance towards running costs was put out in the open.

The youth-focused ambition is clear but there are no certainties in Scottish football at the moment.

The proposal that has been agreed after talks reopened between club and Foundation recently is for the latter to provide funds for the “redevelopment of our academy facility at Gussie Park,” United explained.

“However, the proposal, if passed, will assist towards the running costs of the club at a vital time when we are unable to generate match-day revenue given the current circumstances that all of us find ourselves in.

Edited by CJGJ

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Firstly thanks for recognising a vastly superior intellect..can't be easy for having to admit it

How has he got his hands on the money ?…..you don't even know yet how it is going to be distributed...Try and respect other viewpoints

PS you seem to be giving Doncaster a heck of a lot of credit when we are currently owned by a

successful business lady who I think knows more than Doncaster and even worse you seem to be underestimating a philanthropist who has managed funds in the billions

I think we know who we'd invest in and who has the  greater intellect

Christ man when I mentioned your vastly superior intellect.....I was being SARCASTIC!

Look I voiced an opinion, you know it's a fans forum and all that. and guess what, people have differing views. Now I read lots of stuff on here and don't vilify, or insult the author simply because I might not agree with their point of view.

Not you though...you made a derogatory statement at the start of my comments. Now you could either have ignored my comments (not likely as you already have 18,000+), or you could have put up a counter argument without the snide comment (Still with me at this point?) .

Now it's quite clear you spend a lot of time on Kickback, and it's also clear that you see yourself as some kind of go to authority on all matters Hearts. You probably see yourself as a modern day philosopher in the style of Nussbaum, or Nagel.....However I'll go a wee bit further back I see you more as a Kant!

Now dinnae bother replying to me I've only just hit 300 posts and I'm no used to all this banter.......Furthermore, I'll no reply to you anyway I've made my point! 

And finally, ignore any of my posts after this one.......TA.....Hashi     

Edited by Hashimoto

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Court case won't be about trying to reverse expelling us ! Any action will be for compensation I've been told 

That would be a huge tactical mistake IMO.

Doncaster and Co will not want the Dundee vote business aired in open court and it's difficult to believe ND was not acting on instructions,

Hungry hippo
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That would be a huge tactical mistake IMO.

Doncaster and Co will not want the Dundee vote business aired in open court and it's difficult to believe ND was not acting on instructions,

I don't think Selkirk is saying we wouldn't fully attack the voting debacle. He's just saying we're more likely to end up with money rather than Premiership status from a court case.

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The point being that a defence of us damaging a member's organisation in which we are a part becomes completely moot.

You're wasting your time. I'm not remotely close to figuring out a plan here, but there will be one. We'll have to wait to see what it is. (hopefully)

49 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

“Then Jesus will say to those on his left [unbelievers] , ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.   For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’   Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’   Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these [my followers], you did not do it to me.’  And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Oh Jesus, that's not very Christian of you and a bit aggressive!

No bother Colin.  You want Mr Anderson to think about pulling the offer that could save loads of jobs or at least threaten it.  Your god shit isn’t going to redeem you and being as less charitable and Christian as can be.

Isn’t Christianity about forgiveness too?  For one that preaches you don’t half hold grudges.  Perhaps a new career? 

Peace be with you 👍

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I suppose technically the clubs would be equally liable in court in as much as none of them are liable at all - if we won then award would be made against the SPFL, not individual shareholders.

I posted this last week and to me it looks like any liability would come out of the SPFL pot before distribution to the clubs so Celtic would lose the most despite what they have said.

Edit: assuming they win the league next season.

Screenshot_20200523-184517.png

Edited by graygo

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Can't see it.

This week (Friday) top 12 decided with status quo. 11-1 vote.

Celtic get the fixtures released the following week. Once this is done.

There will be no reconstruction done even if clubs go bust between now and 1st August (imo).

Just read Keef's new piece

Snippets

League chief executive Neil Doncaster gave all 12 top-flight clubs a briefing on Anderson’s generosity at an online conference call last night.

But he also asked each one to declare their position on a possible league reconstruction
by email before the end of this week.

It is hoped Anderson’s cash offer could help the second tier afford the testing and sterilising measures required to get the league up and running quicker then expected.  (Imo This would have to be July, surely?).

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I’ve thought about it a bit more.

What if the money to be handed over is enough to cover any financial “shortfall” from the Sky deal, therefore no club suffers any financial loss due to reconstructs therefore the voting bar that has to be oases is lowered?

im still trying to get my head around it all.

There isn't going to be a shortfall from the 19/20 tv deal - the SPFL lawyers told them there was two clauses in the TV deal that would allow the SPFL to avoid any repayment (in their view). Doncaster could go to Sky any time after 20 April (IIRC) to cancel the contract - that means he should already know by now where the SPFL stands. But for some reason what was a massive problem for the clubs (and something the media kept banging on about) has NEVER been discussed in weeks. Not a single mention. 

The new TV deal has similar clauses but when Holyrood give the thumbs up to -restart , the SPFL top div will HAVE to step up  & deliver OR the SPFL will be in breach of contract. And the £28 million payable in August, when the season starts , will be in jeopardy. 

If this new money IS about making good a shortfall due to 19/20 repayments to Sky  (it's chickenfeed - equivalent to what Sky pay to cover one game in the EPL) we'll find out when it goes to court , I'm sure. 

The Prem not playing is not an option - it has to go ahead (in some form, at least) because if it doesn't ALL the clubs are going to be starved of cash. So for all the poison from clubs like StMirren & Motherwell, they are clubs with a massive problem (or is it ?) - because if the testing costs ARE circa £100K p.a then really, it's peanuts. Their TV money more than covers this (Hearts could maybe screw that up by demanding a portion of the damages sought are ringfenced which would stop the SPFL disbursing those much needed funds to the clubs)  -

the question is , how long can these Prem clubs  sustain themselves with no match day income ?

Would any club in the Prem be prepared to drop down into the Champ and play a shortened season , not starting until Jan 2021 ?  That might save some of them - but then the SPFL will have a  massive problem if that happens because they've put Hearts in the Champ and are refusing to go with recon . But they've also allowed clubs to voluntarily drop out (and save their own skins) while denying Hearts a chance to save THEIRS. 

The media is banging on about the Prem being the be all & end all but I think it's the Champ that is the headache (you could mothball L 1 & 2). 

If reports of Celtic asking for league fixtures to be released are true then maybe it's to force the hands of the diddy clubs : get ready for a full season , show us how you propose to finance it and be prepared for expulsion if you fail to complete the season. There is zero possibility of clubs taking a chance and then just going down the admin route (and taking a points deduction)  Hearts will see to that in court. 

But whatever way you look at it - the August £28M disappears/reduces  if there is no full programme of Prem fixtures  - unless Doncaster  can renegotiate otherwise.

But even if he does work his magic he's going to have a massive problem (and Hearts QC will know it) because the SPFL QC warned him not to risk the new season start date because there was a risk that would lead to the TV deal being renegotiated  - and that  was unlikely to go well in the Covid situation. So he didn't take the risk. 

They then used that legal opinion to shoehorn the clubs into voting to end the season - to protect the TV deal that is right now at risk if the current prem clubs can't deliver. 

The SPFL legal opinion was all about starting the new season on time and getting the precious TV money. It never foresaw the SPFL being unable to deliver because  of a lack of  competing teams or additional overheads like testing. I'll bet the SPFL are very busy right now getting a revised legal opinion and it won't just be about the Hearts scenario. In fact I'd say , right now, Hearts aren't even their biggest headache , it's the prem clubs. 

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )