Next manager.

Hans von Luck

37 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I've got to echo what a lot of people are saying here about hiring ex players. It feels like a lot of people are chasing the glory years and they'll be sorely disappointed when the inevitable happens and they make an arse of it.

Naismith has no managing experience for one. JJ is in his 70s now and not in the best of health. Robbo is happy at ITC. People even suggesting ex hibs managers in here, wtf is going on?

The mindset needs to be that we want a new golden age instead of trying to relive it. Hiring Stendel didn't give the instant results we needed but it was a brave move and how we should be moving forward. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The last thing anyone should want is us becoming an old mates club where we can't get any new ideas or faces in. With that mentality, we might as well get bloody Levein back.

Could this be Naismith’s time to cut his teeth?

Player/Manager. Has another three years on his contract. Would command the changing room. Has respect (or at least fear, from the others players).

Saying that, we must come straight up. But, saying that, no appointment is a guarantee - so why not him?

Edited by MCW1976

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

• Greedy Jambo

10 hours ago, SectionN said:

We need someone who can come in and keep the fans United. I honestly hope we don’t go for Elvis as that will split the fans.

I don't think anyone would care if he gets results.   

Until recently I would have been very much against Elvis being appointed.  On reflection,  that was petty.  The guy was a fantastic captain who was hung out to dry by some for saying what others were thinking.  I think he did what he did out of a sense of betrayal and hurt.  

But things have changed.  Time to move on, forgive and forget.  He's a fighter and would not take any prisoners.  A man with a point to prove.   Exactly what we need right now.  

Edited by ScoPo

28 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

This is horribly true.

Cheap, unemployed, stays not too far away and has the knowledge of Scottish football.

Fortunately he stays in Ireland

Ainsley Harriott
6 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

I don't think anyone would care if he gets results.   

He wouldn't hes about as dreadful a manager as you could find. Pat Fenlon would do a better job

Ainsley Harriott
11 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

Could this be Naismith’s time to cut his teeth?

Player/Manager. Has another three years on his contract. Would command the changing room. Has respect (or at least fear, from the others players).

Saying that, we must come straight up. But, saying that, no appointment is a guarantee - so why not him?

Absolutely not. Never understand why people think being a good player equates to being a good manager. 

2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Absolutely not. Never understand why people think being a good player equates to being a good manager. 

Yeah, what a failure Alex McDonald was.

I don't think it looks like we're getting a manager.

If AB is talking about appointing a Sporting Director then it will be a Head Coach we will be getting and in view of the imminent change of ownership I'd be surprised if this hasn't been discussed/approved by FoH hierarchy.

3 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Are you saying there are no world class managers in the dugout at world class teams?

5 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

He wouldn't hes about as dreadful a manager as you could find. Pat Fenlon would do a better job

Pat Fenlon?

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, MCW1976 said:

Pat Fenlon?

Think you need to try reading the thread properly. Your replies are nonsensical 

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

I've got to echo what a lot of people are saying here about hiring ex players. It feels like a lot of people are chasing the glory years and they'll be sorely disappointed when the inevitable happens and they make an arse of it.

Naismith has no managing experience for one. JJ is in his 70s now and not in the best of health. Robbo is happy at ITC. People even suggesting ex hibs managers in here, wtf is going on?

The mindset needs to be that we want a new golden age instead of trying to relive it. Hiring Stendel didn't give the instant results we needed but it was a brave move and how we should be moving forward. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The last thing anyone should want is us becoming an old mates club where we can't get any new ideas or faces in. With that mentality, we might as well get bloody Levein back.

Agreed. If we are to go down the ex-player route then Nielson is by far the outstanding candidate. Miles ahead of the Hartley, Robbo’s, Presley’s etc in terms of track record. Won two Championships with different clubs, had us in top three in too league during his time with us. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed. If we are to go down the ex-player route then Nielson is by far the outstanding candidate. Miles ahead of the Hartley, Robbo’s, Presley’s etc in terms of track record. Won two Championships with different clubs, had us in top three in too league during his time with us. 

There's no chance Nelison would ever come back with the way he was hounded out.

11 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Think you need to try reading the thread properly. Your replies are nonsensical 

On yer bike! 

Berra than you
3 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

There's no chance Nelison would ever come back with the way he was hounded out.

Think he said on the radio a year or so ago that he 100% would come back. Although I think he said only when the club is doing well and he's a better manager. So unlikely to happen any time soon.

29 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Fortunately he stays in Ireland

And favourite to be next NI manager. Respect his record at St Johnstone but his football is awful to watch

9 hours ago, jbee647 said:

We need someone to get us out the championship immediately, fear of the old firm is absolutely of no consequence , not even Guardiola is getting near Celtic in this lifetime, we want a coach who knows Scottish Football and makes us best of the rest on a consistent basis, Tommy Wright and Stephen Robinson are the obvious candidates

And when we get out of the Championship? Sack em or status quo? The attitude above, prevalent in Scotland is why we get our arses handed to us more often than not in Glasgow. I appreciate the vast difference in finances/support make it very difficult but I honestly believe, psychologically we're beaten before we step onto the pitch a lot of the time because we persist with the same type of manager. The 5 year plan, ultimately failed but the theory behind it, IMO is sound. 

Get a DOF in who will be here long term.

Get a manager in who buys into the idea (NB This cannot be the same person as the DOF)

Coaches throughout share ideas and the teams, from kids up to first team work to a common theme

Recruitment is smarter/more targeted. The scattergun/project approach must stop

Essentially everyone has to be on the same page and pulling in the same direction.

My fear is that now, because of where we are the attitude will be "Well we tried something different. It didn't work so lets go back to doing what everyone else does and accept third best with an occasional cup run is our place"

Howdy Doody Jambo

Tommy Wright does have presence about him, knows Scottish fitbaw inside out, would get respect from the media and player's, takes no shit, knows all about results first 

Maybe get McCann as his assistant 

Combine with JJ as sporting director 

9 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

Tommy Wright does have presence about him, knows Scottish fitbaw inside out, would get respect from the media and player's, takes no shit, knows all about results first 

Do McCann and Wright no hate each other? sure they had a big bust up at a Tayside derby a few years ago

A_A wehatethehibs
24 minutes ago, jamboj said:

And favourite to be next NI manager. Respect his record at St Johnstone but his football is awful to watch

There is an element of myth to this in my opinion, i don't think it's the whole truth to brand the way St Johnstone played as "his" football, it was pragmatic football to maximise results with very limited resources. It shows a manager who is able to consistently get results with very average footballers and punch above their weight class. Not only that but over years got results against what he saw as "so called bigger clubs" including ourselves Hearts who've not won at St Johnstone in about 7 or 8 years or something, plus in the Scottish cup final where they beat hotshots Dundee United as major underdogs. That's what "Wright football" is IMO, it's underdog football, not respecting or laying down to bigger clubs. Fighting tooth and nail. He would have 5x the Budget to try to implement that underdog mentality at Hearts, we ARE the underdog club now, all of our rivals are streets ahead. 

Hearts fans just hate him because he always gets results against us and nullified our team. He never respected us as any bigger or more important a club than the club he managed. That IMO is exactly the attitude you need to be the Hearts manager. 

Wright is not as bad a shout as a lot of people on here claim. But he would have to do some job to actually win over the detractors, as many seem to have a special dislike for him over and above other managers who basically play the same football as him eg. Derek McInnes, Stephen Robinson - very little difference between their football and Wright, they just both benefit from bigger budgets + better youth systems, which enable better overall quality of player.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Ainsley Harriott
16 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

I cant believe we are seriously considering Tommy Wright

Batistuta87

I honestly think that if Stendel moves on, Andy Kirk will be in charge next season. I mean he's not my first choice for the job, but it doesn't sound like the worst decision in the world if we're in the Championship. He's been managing a lot of the players already (Reserves), he knows the club, he's a Jambo, he's well thought of... Would certainly rather give him a chance than appoint the likes of Neil McCann. 

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, pointon said:

We are we are at the moment  Tommy Wright is what we require for now

Yeah that’s what’s Hibs said with Butcher 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, ford donald said:

A hell of a lot less passengers than we signed over the last few years,the man's record is probably the best in the SPL considering

his budget,top six finishes plus SC win,you need to get real.

I didn’t say he didn’t have a great record there, quite a few numpties like Hughes or Macintyre or Stubbs have won trophies and are currently unemployed. It’s a different thing doing it a big club with expectations, as Butcher showed at Hibs. As for our current squad I don’t think anyone can get a tune out of it in its present form, it needs to be broken up.

A_A wehatethehibs
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I didn’t say he didn’t have a great record there, quite a few numpties like Hughes or Macintyre or Stubbs have won trophies and are currently unemployed. It’s a different thing doing it a big club with expectations, as Butcher showed at Hibs. As for our current squad I don’t think anyone can get a tune out of it in its present form, it needs to be broken up.

Did you just call Hibs a big club? An absolute shambles of a Hearts fan you are. 

Also I'll see your Terry Butcher as someone who could not cope with stepping up from a small club (to a slightly less small club), and raise you Derek Mcinnes. He was St Johnstone, flop down south, then big step up to Aberdeen - sucess story. Equally as relevant a comparison for "Wright to Hearts" as your comparison Butcher. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Howdy Doody Jambo
28 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I cant believe we are seriously considering Tommy Wright

If not, Why not? 

ford donald
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Our current squad are crap,like our scouting.

kingantti1874

I’m certainly no tommy Wright fan.. but do I believe he’d get us out of that league, relatively cheaply at the first time of asking ?  100% 

it’s a puzzler. Head v heart 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Did you just call Hibs a big club? An absolute shambles of a Hearts fan you are. 

Also I'll see your Terry Butcher as someone who could not cope with stepping up from a small club (to a slightly less small club), and raise you Derek Mcinnes. He was St Johnstone, flop down south, then big step up to Aberdeen - sucess story. Equally as relevant a comparison for "Wright to Hearts" as your comparison Butcher. 

Should’ve said bigger club, as much as McInnes is a long ball merchant he failed miserably at a bigger club and then did well at Aberdeen but is mostly despised by the fans. Wright is already hated by the fans so he is halfway there. I just don’t think he’s up to it and he has little interest in the youth set up, he’s just left a club in financial peril due to signing loads of players on big wages, we’ve just got rid of a dinosaur like that.

Howdy Doody Jambo
44 minutes ago, allyjambo said:

Do McCann and Wright no hate each other? sure they had a big bust up at a Tayside derby a few years ago

They did have an argument a couple of year's ago at Dens Park but most make up with a wee dram in the board room afterwards 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Our current squad are crap,like our scouting.

No argument there, only one man responsible for that though. I’m sure St Johnstone fans are saying the same?

Ainsley Harriott
14 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

If not, Why not? 

Folk complained Craig was a footballing dinosaur. He makes craig look like a hipster.

Ainsley Harriott

Should do what we did the last time. Sporting Director and appoint a young up and coming coach who looks like they have potential to become a good manager. Worked well the last time we went down.

2 hours ago, Barack said:

I could get us promoted. I don't want McCann, but that's the level we're at for the time being.

Hopefully the club has set it's sites higher than that.....!

ford donald
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No argument there, only one man responsible for that though. I’m sure St Johnstone fans are saying the same?

Won the SC for them, the man's league record speaks for itself,critising him would be unfair.

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, jambogemz said:

Really feel fir Jorg Sievers. A long assocation with one club where he is regarded as a living legend. Gives it all up for six months of absolute shite at Tynecastle. 

Good point!

Howdy Doody Jambo
12 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Folk complained Craig was a footballing dinosaur. He makes craig look like a hipster.

So who then would you appoint? 

We need an experienced manager who can get results? 

Bunny Munro

Reading between the lines of the AB and DS interview, I can see DS staying if wmthe sporting director fancies him. 

Rick Sanchez

It would have been nice to pay their wages instead of funding these diddy selfish corrupt *******s.

Like has been said, both not taking a wage and Jorg gave up a lot to be here. It'd be nice to thank them for their gestures.

11 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Good point!

Which is why I can’t see us just walking away from Stendel. 

I'll say it again...... We're skint and if we lose the court case, we'll be even more skint. 

It'll be the cheapest manager going. 

Probably Derek Adams or someone as equally humiliating. Need to wind your expectations in chaps or you will be disappointed. 

Ainsley Harriott
14 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

So who then would you appoint? 

We need an experienced manager who can get results? 

I would promote a well thought of coach at the club or out with to become head coach and bring in an experienced director of football. 

Why do we need an experienced manager? The only successful manager we have had since Ann took over was in his first managerial role.

Marty Byrde
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

There is an element of myth to this in my opinion, i don't think it's the whole truth to brand the way St Johnstone played as "his" football, it was pragmatic football to maximise results with very limited resources. It shows a manager who is able to consistently get results with very average footballers and punch above their weight class. Not only that but over years got results against what he saw as "so called bigger clubs" including ourselves Hearts who've not won at St Johnstone in about 7 or 8 years or something, plus in the Scottish cup final where they beat hotshots Dundee United as major underdogs. That's what "Wright football" is IMO, it's underdog football, not respecting or laying down to bigger clubs. Fighting tooth and nail. He would have 5x the Budget to try to implement that underdog mentality at Hearts, we ARE the underdog club now, all of our rivals are streets ahead. 

Hearts fans just hate him because he always gets results against us and nullified our team. He never respected us as any bigger or more important a club than the club he managed. That IMO is exactly the attitude you need to be the Hearts manager. 

Wright is not as bad a shout as a lot of people on here claim. But he would have to do some job to actually win over the detractors, as many seem to have a special dislike for him over and above other managers who basically play the same football as him eg. Derek McInnes, Stephen Robinson - very little difference between their football and Wright, they just both benefit from bigger budgets + better youth systems, which enable better overall quality of player.

Excellent post. I wholeheartedly agree which Is why I've been championing Wright for the job.

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Won the SC for them, the man's league record speaks for itself,critising him would be unfair.

Stubbs did it too, couldn’t get out the Championship. Hughes won it for ICT sacked. Macintyre won LC, sacked. McInnes won LC fans hate him. Lennon won Championship Hibs fabs hate him, Neilson had a plane.  Fans criticise JJ, Sergio and Ivanauskas. It happens.

Howdy Doody Jambo
10 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I would promote a well thought of coach at the club or out with to become head coach and bring in an experienced director of football. 

Why do we need an experienced manager? The only successful manager we have had since Ann took over was in his first managerial role.

An experienced manager tends to know the job more and makes less mistakes, has a tried and tested way of working and built up reliable contacts, knows and when how to change tactics during games, commands respect from player's, has a track record of winning games, has a knowledge of opposition teams, think I could go on and on 

Young coaches are more of a gamble, with no track record, there is risk in every appointment though 

Ainsley Harriott
2 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

An experienced manager tends to know the job more and makes less mistakes, has a tried and tested way of working and built up reliable contacts, knows and when how to change tactics during games, commands respect from player's, has a track record of winning games, has a knowledge of opposition teams, think I could go on and on 

Young coaches are more of a gamble, with no track record, there is risk in every appointment though 

I would worry that whilst we are in the championship the calibre of experienced manager that would be attracted to the job will be low. Any up an coming coach would see it as an opportunity to set up. 

ford donald
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Stubbs did it too, couldn’t get out the Championship. Hughes won it for ICT sacked. Macintyre won LC, sacked. McInnes won LC fans hate him. Lennon won Championship Hibs fabs hate him, Neilson had a plane.  Fans criticise JJ, Sergio and Ivanauskas. It happens.

Lots happens,does not always make sense or seem fair,I would always look at the positives myself.