Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

7 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

All 41 have lasted longer than us. I know others will follow but sorry, I’m not seeing this as a master stroke in financial planning from Hearts by needing to do this 6 days after fixtures were suspended. 

The longer you wait, the deeper you cut.  Simple. 
we are paying wages and not getting money in. You wait a week, you have to catch that up. You wait a month it snowballs. That said, is if not effective from April?  Time to negotiate with the players to get best result all round. 
Makes very good business sense to me. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

Jambof3tornado
25 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

41 clubs out of 42 are currently offering an alternative by continuing to pay full wages. 

Aye for now. Lets see what happens by this time next week or the week after. No danger clubs can simply carry on...totally impossible with matchday income.

Record reporting Dikamona set to reject the pay decrease and looking to leave. Sore one if true, has become a bit of a cult hero.

bigsuperslim1874
Just now, Last Laff said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/clevid-dikamona-set-knock-back-21722627

Dikamona to leave (fk knows the source) but the rest sounds positive from the players.  I wonder why Naismith is speaking to the players and why there’s nothing from management?

What else is said mate - refuse to click on that scummy rags links?!

4 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

What else is said mate - refuse to click on that scummy rags links?!

Naisy has spoken to the majority of the players who seem to reluctantly (could be shite) coming around to the idea of getting together and taking the cut. There could also be the chance the club is open to negotiate individual contracts depending on the players situation (wages). 

Rugby

Several English Premiership clubs will ask players to take considerable pay cuts to help cope with the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

Premiership Rugby has been suspended until at least 20 April, with a further delay expected.

Club losses will far exceed £1 million, with some players expected to take a cut of up to 25% to help prevent financial crisis.

The players' union are seeking "urgent clarification" on the issue.

5 minutes ago, Defender said:

Also reporting that Stendel is working for free. Good on him. Big sign of intent.

Nothing in the record article but if so that’s fantastic from the man.  👍

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Barack said:

Uche will be next. You watch...

Won't The Sun  pay him to stay in place? You need to look after your sources. :rolleyes:

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Has Ann got ahead of the game re FFP.

If clubs are still going to pay full whack on wages for 2 or 3 months with no income in that time, their % of wages to turnover is going to change quite a bit.

Exactly my thoughts.  Doesn’t matter how much cash you have in the bank, if your wages to turnover is over 100%, you’re in the shit with FFP.  

Other clubs are in denial.  Utter carnage in the next few weeks.

gashauskis9
12 minutes ago, Defender said:

Record reporting Dikamona set to reject the pay decrease and looking to leave. Sore one if true, has become a bit of a cult hero.

To be fair, he’s effectively out of contract. 

1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

To be fair, he’s effectively out of contract. 

At least he’s willing to leave the now then. 

I can see sense in 1 player accepting a 50% wage of 4k to 2k for example.  but another from 1k to £500 or £500 to £250  might cause them financial problems.  So anyone refusing might be seen as a ***** but you never know the reason why until it comes out.  No point pointing fingers at players.

Dikamona as another example might be getting paid not bad amount but might want out on family grounds.  That make sense?

As far as cult hero goes I also liked him when he played well but that wasn't all the time.  We can't be so desperate to want players that can't perform on a first team basis.

Thanks for the good times Clevid and all the best on your next venture.

10 minutes ago, Defender said:

**** sake ! 

Where on earth does he think he is going to get anything like the money he gets here even on half wages.? 

In industry if there is no work you don't get paid. Same should apply in football. 

Some of these spoiled brats are going to get a shock when rules are brought in to allow contracts to be amended. 

Why should footballers be any different to the rest of us. 

Adam_the_legend
28 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Gents, I’m not posting to cause an argument, I’m just a bit annoyed that when talk of financial woes rears it’s head again, here we are as the first club to announce a major problem. 

I know we pushed the playing budget and appreciate we’ve built a great stand and pitch system (the odd concert excepted 😂) but to be the first to fold when 39 out of the other 41 clubs would kill for our income streams just annoys me. 

Being first to make a move doesn’t, in of itself, mean our finances are ******. I’ve been very critical of AB but I think in this instance she’s tried to get ahead of the financial tsunami heading our way.  

No way this is just a Hearts thing. This will be the end of several clubs. Just really surprised we are the only team to come out.

Ross County reportedly paying their players in full. Not sure if the same will apply to office/store staff though. Not read anything about other clubs apart from the ones crowdfunding for support.

bigsuperslim1874
20 minutes ago, Defender said:

Also reporting that Stendel is working for free. Good on him. Big sign of intent.

Good lad 👍

3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

No way this is just a Hearts thing. This will be the end of several clubs. Just really surprised we are the only team to come out.

I’d imagine other clubs are now leaving us to get rinsed for a few days in the press before following suit.

I genuinely think, or should I say hope as I have no clue, that we’ve jumped first purely as precautionary and will be fine in the long run. I also hope the media go to town on any club that decides to pay its players their full contract whilst binning employees. 

bajthejambo

I don't understand why players would refuse? They'll earn nothing and who knows for how long? Especially players who have contracts expiring. 

I would imagine any player stated in articles is pure speculation. Uche named earlier because he isnt playing just now, clevid because he has been in the team and done well. The sooner people stop believing this crap the better. They have no idea what is going on and trawling fan sites is their best source of information. Or make it up because even if it isn't true it gets clicks. Let's see how other teams press goes when they announce cuts. 

bigsuperslim1874
18 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Naisy has spoken to the majority of the players who seem to reluctantly (could be shite) coming around to the idea of getting together and taking the cut. There could also be the chance the club is open to negotiate individual contracts depending on the players situation (wages). 

Cheers mate

Hungry hippo
31 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Exactly my thoughts.  Doesn’t matter how much cash you have in the bank, if your wages to turnover is over 100%, you’re in the shit with FFP.  

I support the move to ensure cashflow over the next few months but don't think it relates to FFP. There is no way any team will be punished by UEFA for the inevitable turnover reductions due to COVID-19.

Thing is, players have the right to walk away for free, but if they do that then they will be unemployable (EVERYONE has stopped their leagues, so nobody is hiring).

I honestly don’t have an issue with AB taking this action. The wage bill is not ridiculous, but we have no income. No player will want to take a pay cut, but effectively there is no work for them at the moment. They are also not the only employees being asked.

26 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

They couldn’t go down to £250 mate. Minimum is the living wage at around £18.5k. 

Yeah they were just quick examples not everyone gets paid a decent amount like the top earners or first team players.  The younger lads might need the full wage.

I've no idea who gets what just saying.

Just now, Doc Rob said:

Thing is, players have the right to walk away for free, but if they do that then they will be unemployable (EVERYONE has stopped their leagues, so nobody is hiring).

I honestly don’t have an issue with AB taking this action. The wage bill is not ridiculous, but we have no income. No player will want to take a pay cut, but effectively there is no work for them at the moment. They are also not the only employees being asked.

It very much so is ridiculous considering the club sit bottom of the league and topped up by a benefactor that may or not be there anymore.  I don’t feel the club should be using extra income such as hospitality and using the stand to pay the players wages, especially with the extra revenue from the foh every month.  That should be seen as a bonus for me with that kind of money being used as perhaps extra transfer fees.  It’s probably not the thread though but I do agree with the sentiment that action needs to be taken but I also agree with the pfa when they say the players should be able to get an insight to the clubs finances before agreeing or not to cut their wages in half.  

Hungry hippo
4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

It very much so is ridiculous considering the club sit bottom of the league and topped up by a benefactor that may or not be there anymore.  I don’t feel the club should be using extra income such as hospitality and using the stand to pay the players wages, especially with the extra revenue from the foh every month.  That should be seen as a bonus for me with that kind of money being used as perhaps extra transfer fees.  It’s probably not the thread though but I do agree with the sentiment that action needs to be taken but I also agree with the pfa when they say the players should be able to get an insight to the clubs finances before agreeing or not to cut their wages in half.  

I would say that using additional revenue to fund higher wages is the goal of all clubs in the world. This is unprecedented and not one person predicted that revenue could simply disappear overnight. As we had been so successful in growing this source of impact it unfortunately has made particularly vulnerable to this immediate halt on consumer spending.

In hindsight we obviously wish we had more of a cash reserve but we all knew we had to invest everything we could in the squad. The choice of financing Boyce in January or setting aside funds in case of an off-the-chart pandemic was not really much of a decision at the time.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/clevid-dikamona-set-knock-back-21722627

Dikamona to leave (fk knows the source) but the rest sounds positive from the players.  I wonder why Naismith is speaking to the players and why there’s nothing from management?

IF true, cheerio.

Hearts will be the biggest club that he will ever play for. Just like many other players who have visited Tynecastle during their careers

There are many people who’d currently bite your hand off for 50% of their income.

If he thinks he can do better elsewhere, off you trot, well plod if truth be told.

2 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I would say that using additional revenue to fund higher wages is the goal of all clubs in the world. This is unprecedented and not one person predicted that revenue could simply disappear overnight. As we had been so successful in growing this source of impact it unfortunately has made particularly vulnerable to this immediate halt on consumer spending.

In hindsight we obviously wish we had more of a cash reserve but we all knew we had to invest everything we could in the squad. The choice of financing Boyce in January or setting aside funds in case of an off-the-chart pandemic was not really much of a decision at the time.

The ultimate goal, yes if there’s a sufficient balance enabling to do so, not gambling the first year of extra revenue being able to do this as well as being topped up by benefactors and the foh Ann has also came out before and said she wouldn’t gamble on wage budgets as in the past and it’s clearly what’s happened here - it’s not necessarily her fault it’s backfired but it clearly has.   There’s been a overspend from the beginning of the season shown in the accounts that we couldn’t get through without the benefactors cash and I know that is calculated into the budget at the beginning of the season but it’s still something you could consider careless spending, especially when the squad is so big, she decides to keep Levein and his pals on, gambles big again on Daniel Stendel then pays a lot of money for Liam Boyce bearing in mind the likes of Naismith is on a four year contract.

There is simply no need for all that spending considering where the club has come from, it can’t be justified in any shape or form either.  

bigsuperslim1874
27 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Looks like they spent the afternoon on the Don Revie. 

I’m sure there was another report (or further down on that one) which says one chairman said the meeting was underwhelming and effectively they are waiting on the Coronavirus laws being passed next week before deciding next steps. These gimps have not got a bloody clue - I think they are hoping there will be something in these new laws to let them piss about with the league without getting a legal doing.

Just now, Dagger Is Back said:

IF true, cheerio.

Hearts will be the biggest club that he will ever play for. Just like many other players who have visited Tynecastle during their careers

There are many people who’d currently bite your hand off for 50% of their income.

If he thinks he can do better elsewhere, off you trot, well plod if truth be told.

I actually think he may be doing this for the benefit of the club and it’s been twisted the other way.  Out of contract in the summer and agreeing to leave early knowing he’s probably not or been told he’s not going to get a new deal.  

Dagger Is Back
23 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I actually think he may be doing this for the benefit of the club and it’s been twisted the other way.  Out of contract in the summer and agreeing to leave early knowing he’s probably not or been told he’s not going to get a new deal.  

Oops hadn’t thought of that. Appreciate you reminding me to fully engage my brain before believing the press and posting

Thanks

Nelly Terraces

I'd say it a bit early to speculate why any player has chosen to leave at this stage. There could be a whole range of reasons across a host of players. 

Also, Hearts will certainly not be the only club forced to take drastic action in an attempt to cut costs to see them through this crisis, not only in Scotland but across Europe & beyond. Just watch this space on that one.

1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Being first to make a move doesn’t, in of itself, mean our finances are ******. I’ve been very critical of AB but I think in this instance she’s tried to get ahead of the financial tsunami heading our way.  

whilst I think AB has mishandled our finances and we should not be in this position at this stage I do think if she has made the right call on this if our finances are that bad.

Surely though she has to take responsibility and leave once the dust has settled.

7 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Oops hadn’t thought of that. Appreciate you reminding me to fully engage my brain before believing the press and posting

Thanks

I’m numero uno at doing likewise at times mate 😉

2 hours ago, McCrae said:

whilst I think AB has mishandled our finances and we should not be in this position at this stage I do think if she has made the right call on this if our finances are that bad.

Surely though she has to take responsibility and leave once the dust has settled.

You were a strong advocate for Chris Robinson in his turbulent years, and have been critical of Vlad and now Budge.

Who should run the Club that would meet with your approval?

2 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I would say that using additional revenue to fund higher wages is the goal of all clubs in the world.

Absolutely spot on.  It is the reason that Man Utd have a coconut milk partner in Asia and Barcelona have a mattress partner in South America.  It is all about being associated with the brand and generating income to be spent on inflated player wages, agents and (in Man Utd's case) unscrupulous owners.

2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

I cannot see any current player (at any club not just ours) being so generous as to walk out on guaranteed wages regardless of how long is left on his contract.  Any player that refuses to take this proposed wage cut will continue to get full whack.  Anything else will be subject to a legal challenge.  The only way to sever a contract will be gross misconduct or a force majeure event, the latter of which may be dependent on the outcome of emergency legislation getting rushed through Westminster just now.

The club cannot just terminate contracts whenever they want without paying up what is due.  It'd be great if we could though.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Yeah, so Stevo got let go with a year left during admin :) anyway..... ;) 

A month before we exited, still doesn’t mean we can’t sack anyone at the club contract or not 😆. Suspending the wages is the best option.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

We were 56% ratio of wages to turnover and I would doubt it was now 100% for this bunch of chicken hearted charlatans.

maroonedinoz
4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

4 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Not technically correct that EVERYONE has stopped their leagues.

The Australian A League still battles on for the moment with games held behind closed doors but televised live.

In fact two former Hearts players...and brothers..find themselves lining up on opposite sides in the Sydney Derby this weekend..

The game usually attracts 30- 40k when both sides are firing, so it will be interesting to see it .

Edited by maroonedinoz
error

maroonedinoz

Not technically correct that EVERYONE has stopped their leagues.

The Australian A League still battles on for the moment with games held behind closed doors but televised live.

In fact two former Hearts players...and brothers..find themselves lining up on opposite sides in the Sydney Derby this weekend..

The game usually attracts 30- 40k when both sides are firing, so it will be interesting to see it .

5 hours ago, Defender said:

Only sore point is we are limited in his position. He however is a bombscare of a playerand this decision to leave when he may not get signed elsewhere dowsnt appear to be the brightest.

4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

How is it doing the club a favour when we have so few central defenders?