Gigs you are going to

davemclaren

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Hooky is playing the two Joy Division albums taking on the role of Ian Curtis at the O2 on Thursday.

You know it's funny, New Order are my favourite band and I love Joy Division but gave this gig a miss.

Hooky is a lot more faithful to the original songs but he hardly plays bass and Pottsy has to do more of the high vocals (more for New Order), so it's a bit unsatisfactory in a way. If there was more of a New Order set I would have gone as saw him doing Technique and Republic which was great hearing songs the band hardly ever played post reunion in 1998. His version of The Perfect Kiss is definitive compared to the half baked current New Order version mind you.

New Order live is predominantly the same set since 2015 and needs freshened up. The MiF set with the synth orchestra in 2017 was easily the best New Order gig since 98 and it's a pity the band don't vary the sets more like the old days.

Sorry rambling a bit but basically saying I find both live acts missing something funnily enough.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the original dalry llama

• frankblack

• tedarmy

• Costanza

Robbo-Jambo

A Band called Malice.

Jam tribute. Bannermans 20th April.

Absolute Weller.

Dreadnought. Bathgate. 22nd April.

Sawdust Caesar

Inspiral Carpets July 21st at the Liquid Room.

Secret Affair & Squire 17th November at the Voodoo Rooms.

Wish I'd known the Dead Kennedys were playing Edinburgh, sold out now.

Psychedelicropcircle

Seen a gordie funk band at the weekend called smoove & turrell think they’ll be big👌

On 11/04/2023 at 21:13, Diadora Van Basten said:

Hooky is playing the two Joy Division albums taking on the role of Ian Curtis at the O2 on Thursday.

And he was bloody fantastic. That was the first time I've seen him. The New Order set was great too and the inclusion of Ceremony in the encore just made the night for me.

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, Mister T said:

And he was bloody fantastic. That was the first time I've seen him. The New Order set was great too and the inclusion of Ceremony in the encore just made the night for me.

I think a lot of people get put off by the name Peter Hook and the light. I just stumbled across his set at Let’s Rock Scotland when I was going to the toilet as he wasn’t on the main stage and he was superb.

I was a bit disappointed with the choice of New Order songs yesterday. I only knew two and they weren’t particular favourites of mine but they were performed well.

Unknown Pleasures and Closer sound so much better live than just listening to them on downloads. I particularly enjoyed She’s lost control, Shadowplay and atrocity exhibition. The performance of Atmosphere dedicated to Legendary Hacienda DJ Graeme Park’s son was exceptional.

The encore was definitely my favourite with Transmission, Ceremony and Love will tear us apart.

I uploaded a video I made to YouTube (yes I’m one of them)  if you are interested.

I think a lot of people get put off by the name Peter Hook and the light. I just stumbled across his set at Let’s Rock Scotland when I was going to the toilet as he wasn’t on the main stage and he was superb.

I was a bit disappointed with the choice of New Order songs yesterday. I only knew two and they weren’t particular favourites of mine but they were performed well.

Unknown Pleasures and Closer sound so much better live than just listening to them on downloads. I particularly enjoyed She’s lost control, Shadowplay and atrocity exhibition. The performance of Atmosphere dedicated to Legendary Hacienda DJ Graeme Park’s son was exceptional.

The encore was definitely my favourite with Transmission, Ceremony and Love will tear us apart.

I uploaded a video I made to YouTube (yes I’m one of them)  if you are interested.

Agree with you on some of the joy division songs. They don't translate well to a live performance. I think some of the audience's attention waivered halfway through the Closer set. There was a hell of a lot of chit chat round about me. Bloody philistines. Probably all hibs fans too.

41 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Agree with you on some of the joy division songs. They don't translate well to a live performance. I think some of the audience's attention waivered halfway through the Closer set. There was a hell of a lot of chit chat round about me. Bloody philistines. Probably all hibs fans too.

Well famously, Joy Division hated the sound Martin Hannett gave them as it sounded so different from their rockier live sound. I bloody hope no one eas talking through Decades..

I see they played Vanishing Point in the New Order selection,  fantastic.

Got my New Order at the Hydro tickets today, definitely won't be as long a gig as Hooky's!

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Well famously, Joy Division hated the sound Martin Hannett gave them as it sounded so different from their rockier live sound. I bloody hope no one eas talking through Decades..

I see they played Vanishing Point in the New Order selection,  fantastic.

Got my New Order at the Hydro tickets today, definitely won't be as long a gig as Hooky's!

Hooky’s set totalled 27 songs and he plays a gig almost every night, it’s a phenomenal effort. Maybe a good thing that Factory spent all his money on the Hacienda. 

The new West End

Hooky’s set totalled 27 songs and he plays a gig almost every night, it’s a phenomenal effort. Maybe a good thing that Factory spent all his money on the Hacienda. 

His 3 night run in Manchester last weekend was meant to be amazing

CF11JamTart
On 14/04/2023 at 17:19, The new West End said:

The Bathers and Cowboy Mouth tonight

What was it like? 

Would have loved to have come up for that. I love those two bands. 

The Marina reissue lps of the Bathers are gorgeous. 

CF11JamTart

Peter Hook and the Light on Friday. 

Depeche Mode at Twickenham in June. 

The Undertones in September. 

Teenage Fanclub in Hackney in November. 

The new West End
2 hours ago, CF11JamTart said:

What was it like? 

Would have loved to have come up for that. I love those two bands. 

The Marina reissue lps of the Bathers are gorgeous. 

It was amazing .. 2 great bands with brilliant front men

Bathers finished with Honey at the Core

I think the label Last Night in Glasgow are releasing ,/ re releasing a lot of their stuff

CF11JamTart
1 minute ago, The new West End said:

It was amazing .. 2 great bands with brilliant front men

Bathers finished with Honey at the Core

I think the label Last Night in Glasgow are releasing ,/ re releasing a lot of their stuff

Lovely stuff. 

I've just got the Cowboy Mouth lp and a couple of The Bathers. 

They just sound gorgeous. 

The new West End
23 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

Lovely stuff. 

I've just got the Cowboy Mouth lp and a couple of The Bathers. 

They just sound gorgeous. 

Not a fan of the Wee Red Bar as a venue but sound was good and for a change the audience shut up

periodictabledancer

Having just seen The Boss at MSG , now  looking forward to seeing him again in Rome at the Circus Maximus next month. 

Sam Fender will be the warm up and I'm looking forward to seeing him for the first time. 

Was at Man of Moon at Cabaret Voltaire tonight. Top gig and an Edinburgh band to boot.

Finished with this which is a banger

9 hours ago, Costanza said:

Was at Man of Moon at Cabaret Voltaire tonight. Top gig and an Edinburgh band to boot.

Not too keen to be honest. Can barely make out a word he is saying then a 10 second rave randomly kicks off. 

The new West End
10 hours ago, Jibbers said:

How good are ACR live? Those guys and gals can funk!

Amazing live

Much better than their recorded stuff

Shack up baby

46 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Not too keen to be honest. Can barely make out a word he is saying then a 10 second rave randomly kicks off. 

Worked for early REM!

Nah, fair do's, that song probably their most 'dancey'. Rest a bit more 'brooding'..

11 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Worked for early REM!

Nah, fair do's, that song probably their most 'dancey'. Rest a bit more 'brooding'..

In The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite, when he sings 'call me when you try wake her up' I genuinely thought he was singing in a foreign language for years, until I realised what he was actually saying. 

17 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

In The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite, when he sings 'call me when you try wake her up' I genuinely thought he was singing in a foreign language for years, until I realised what he was actually saying. 

Ha ha I thought he was saying "Call me in Jamaica"!

2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Just seen that Cud are playing Edinburgh in August. Tempting.

They're supporting PWEI in Leeds, I'll have to go to that.

the original dalry llama

I've got Yo La Tengo at Sala Apolo in Barcelona on Saturday. Bit of a pain that twice in a row they haven't included any Scottish dates on their European tour but I guess a trip to Barcelona to see your (possibly) favourite band is not unshabby. 🙂

periodictabledancer
On 20/04/2023 at 23:50, Costanza said:

The opening to that song is fantastic. 

12 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

The opening to that song is fantastic. 

Yeah I am partial to a bass heavy opener 

Tickets bought for Judas Priest at the hydro in march, Saxon and Uriah heep as support

5 hours ago, Ribble said:

Tickets bought for Judas Priest at the hydro in march, Saxon and Uriah heep as support

just got myself a ticket for that as well

Dead Kennedy’s this Sunday 

Does anyone know if there a support on? Looking at their other gigs I would say yes but just wondered if anyone knew for definite 

frankblack
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

20230509_201612.jpg.d42133992d4babdc9d161b0d4bec9c12.jpg

Can't wait until Murrayfield but god knows if we will get decent weather here.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Can't wait until Murrayfield but god knows if we will get decent weather here.

The weather this afternoon and evening was awful, right up until about 15 minutes before the band came on stage.  Then the skies cleared completely.

A really good gig, although some of the quieter moments were let down just a wee bit by the sound quality in the RDS.  Despite that, Last Man Standing and I'll See You In My Dreams were very poignant moments.  Other highlights of the night for me were Death To My Hometown, Nightshift, Trapped, Johnny 99 and Wrecking Ball.

Springsteen really is some man for one man.  Three hours on stage without a break (the band got a break, but he didn't), and he covered every square inch of the stage with a really energetic performance.  And the band are sensational musicians, absolutely sensational.

Bruce Springsteen Concert Setlist at RDS Arena, Dublin on May 9, 2023 | setlist.fm

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

20230509_201612.jpg.d42133992d4babdc9d161b0d4bec9c12.jpg

I bagged a ticket for his Hyde Park gig on 6th July. My mate's going to both gigs (second on the 8th, when The Who are at Edinburgh Castle) so was looking at the two setlists from Dublin. 28 songs one night, 27 the other. About 10 different songs between the two lists. You definitely get your money's worth. We're talking about getting tix for the 7th July to see Southside Johnny at the Shepherd's Bush Empire but he may well take to the stage with Springsteen either or both nights.

periodictabledancer
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

The weather this afternoon and evening was awful, right up until about 15 minutes before the band came on stage.  Then the skies cleared completely.

A really good gig, although some of the quieter moments were let down just a wee bit by the sound quality in the RDS.  Despite that, Last Man Standing and I'll See You In My Dreams were very poignant moments.  Other highlights of the night for me were Death To My Hometown, Nightshift, Trapped, Johnny 99 and Wrecking Ball.

Springsteen really is some man for one man.  Three hours on stage without a break (the band got a break, but he didn't), and he covered every square inch of the stage with a really energetic performance.  And the band are sensational musicians, absolutely sensational.

Bruce Springsteen Concert Setlist at RDS Arena, Dublin on May 9, 2023 | setlist.fm

I saw him in NY and will be in Rome for the Circus Maximus gig although I'm not sure if I can do an all day thing at my age with no seats. NY was great with the NY/NJ crowd creating an amazing atmosphere , a lot of the time he seemed happy to let the crowd do the singing. Not much to dislike but Nightshift is a travesty for me and I wish he wouldn't. Rosalita isn't a song ive liked all that much but the crowd went nuts over it and I kinda fell in love with it now although he doesn't half ham it up with SVZ. 😄 Needless to say the "encore" brought the house down. And yeah, the musicians are all at the top of their game. 

frankblack
11 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Excellent setlist.

Good to see they are still putting on the same type of shows as he did pre-pandemic.  No mean feat for their age!

Like the look of some of these gigs at Summerhall in August: We Were Promised Jetpacks, Pictish Trail, Deafheaven and BC Camplight in particular 

Screenshot_20230509_200838_Facebook.jpg

Robbo-Jambo

Tribute band for The Stranglers this Saturday at the Dreadnought Bathgate.

Tribute band for The Jam at Vodoo Rooms May 28th.

The Who at Edinburgh Castle 8th July. 

7 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

....I'm not sure if I can do an all day thing at my age with no seats. 

Thankfully we had seats in the RDS with the other oul' gits.  :laugh: 

periodictabledancer
16 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Thankfully we had seats in the RDS with the other oul' gits.  :laugh: 

:lol:

5 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Tribute band for The Stranglers this Saturday at the Dreadnought Bathgate.

Straighten Out are excellent as tribute acts go.

On 21/04/2023 at 11:00, Costanza said:

Ha ha I thought he was saying "Call me in Jamaica"!

Still did up until now.....