We have another Cathro

Walter Kidd

9 hours ago, tian447 said:

What are the alternatives though?  

We should have gone for someone in the transfer window, but that would have left us with 4 goalkeepers, which is mental. 

Relegation?

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Hearts1975

• GinRummy

• jake

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gimme an H...
27 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Jesus talk about an overreaction. Think some folk need to stay away from kickback & alcohol after hearts games

🤣 Absolutely this. 

I think people need to take off the rose tinted glasses with Stendel.  I buy in to what he is trying to do but I think he needs to be more pragmatic with where we are. The defensive line is way too high up. His selections are getting questionable as well. Why the keeper hasn’t been dropped is beyond me. Great we are scoring but pointless when conceding in the manner we are.  

Leveins Battalion
2 hours ago, E6 Inc said:

Yeah think I might give this place a miss for a couple weeks...

Good idea we will be officially relegated by then 👍

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Levein and Budge have delivered us to this dangerous point but it was neither of them who started Moore and Henderson and persisted with the Sunday League goalkeeper.

Stendel has had little criticism so far but his team selection was poor last night.

Sincerely hoping he's learning quickly from this because we're running out of games.

His ideology might be the thing that relegates us.  

It's all fine and well playing the press and having a mindset of what you want to happen, but we're in a dogfight and all the high press and pretty patterns go out the window. It's about points. It's about beating the teams that are down there with us. We've played 3 of them in the last two weeks and have  two points oneof which we stole and two absolute dismantlings. 

I'm not seeing where the wins are coming from. 

Edited by The Mighty Thor

8 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Two of his four signings didn’t even make the squad tonight?

Sibbick was injured. Avidaj clearing hasn’t done enough when featuring for us.

Maybe a lot of people will stop digitally fellating him at every opportunity. He's achieved nothing other than one good win and one Hearts should always win.

Boyce a great signing, that's the best thing so far.

Why are Moore and Henderson being singled out?  Hardly anyone was complaining about their inclusion at kick off, and I don’t hold them accountable for us losing.  In fact, Moore won most of our corners through being one of the only players who wanted to be direct.  In the first half, Irving, Naismith and Boyce were trying to pass the ball into the net. Not Moore’s fault Boyce and Naismith decided to play centre mid last night.  

Very easy to question team selection after the event.  Stendel trusted the players he put out and made brave, timely subs in the 2nd half to try and put it right.  Langer for Sibbick was the only change from the Rangers game.  Was good enough that day, why wouldn’t Stendel trust it to work last night?  Keeper aside, the score line didn’t do us credit last night.

The extremes of kickback laid bare on a single thread.

i deliberately didn’t post last night when I got home, though still feel angry now.  I’m fully behind Stendel, but he can’t have a Levein’s Mess get out of jail free card.  That’s back to back games that his system has been undone, by the might of St J and Kilmarnock.  

Im sure there is a defensive element to his system, but the players obviously aren’t delivering it.  Doesn’t help when the other team knows just to hit the ball at the goalkeeper to score.

After we get pumped 4+ against Celtic, how long before the murmurings and rumours in the press start about disharmony in the dressing room and players questioning Stendel’s tactics.  

He is going to have to be more pragmatic or we go down.

I like how he has cleared out most of the worst of the squad but Boyce aside I think he has signed the wrong players for what we needed.  And I think the other managers are working out how easy it is to counter what we are trying to do.

I think pragmatic Paulo Sergio was less purist in his football and won us the Cup as a result.  Stendel will need to change something as charges up the field leaving the new terrible trio of Pereira, Halkett and Souttar to be the only defenders will get us relegated.

4 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Why are Moore and Henderson being singled out?  Hardly anyone was complaining about their inclusion at kick off, and I don’t hold them accountable for us losing.  In fact, Moore won most of our corners through being one of the only players who wanted to be direct.  In the first half, Irving, Naismith and Boyce were trying to pass the ball into the net. Not Moore’s fault Boyce and Naismith decided to play centre mid last night.  

Very easy to question team selection after the event.  Stendel trusted the players he put out and made brave, timely subs in the 2nd half to try and put it right.  Langer for Sibbick was the only change from the Rangers game.  Was good enough that day, why wouldn’t Stendel trust it to work last night?  Keeper aside, the score line didn’t do us credit last night.

There were plenty of people on the match chat question their inclusion and the midfield in general. Which is awful. 

There were also many more pointing out Periera should not be selected. 

Sorry it’s on Stendel now. Been here 2 months and had a transfer window. The last two games are  utterly unacceptable. 

Yes like Levein he’s suffering from a few injuries right now but his team selection and overall tactics are extremely concerning. 

3 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

He is starting to trot out the same lines as well. Doesn't know what went wrong. I do, your tactics and team selection. 

Indeed 

“we are not defending well enough” being used regularly. 

Right, is it personnel well change it, start with the GK.

Is it tactics? Well tweek it. 

8 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

The OP is talking nonsense 

In your opinion. I’ll stick to my opinion. Unless he changes our way of playing we’re in serious trouble. My fear is he can’t change as it’s Plan A or bust. Much like Cathro. 

9 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We don’t have the full backs, keeper, centre backs, centre mids or centre forwards to play his system. Instead of playing actual footballers like Meshino and Walker, he plays runners like Henderson / Moore.

Agreed I think he goes with Henderson and Moore for their energy when they simply aren't good enough. Moore couldn't get a game at Falkirk. The boy is just in the door and will get my backing just like Levein did. 

14 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Look at the "Team for Kilmarnock" thread over the last week. Very few people wanted to start Moore and Henderson and even less wanted to start Pereira.

10 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You’re not going to fool any Hearts fans bud, everyone knows that if we get relegated it’s 1 mans fault and 1 man alone Craig Levein. And 1woman Ann Budge. Stendell is giving it his best shot to try to save us but this is Long Term rot in our squad caused by the 5 year plan - so do yourself a favour, stop being a numpty and think about the bigger picture of what has caused our team to be shite. 

Bang on! The sooner Levein and Budge are away from this club the better! Its their mess! If its not the squad of rank signings on long term deals its the cost of a stand thats went double over budget. 

8 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Indeed 

“we are not defending well enough” being used regularly. 

Right, is it personnel well change it, start with the GK.

Is it tactics? Well tweek it. 

I think all supporters realise we are going to lose goals playing his system. The main problem is the keeper. Folk can go on about Moore and Henderson or Halketts positioning or Souttars over confidence but really if we had a halfway decent keeper we'd have won on Saturday and at least drawn last night and it's a very different conversation this morning. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

He has to change the goalkeeper as a basic starting point. I mean, our other options are not great but Pereira is costing us big time. We don’t have the time to be risking any more on him

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He has to change the goalkeeper as a basic starting point. I mean, our other options are not great but Pereira is costing us big time. We don’t have the time to be risking any more on him

It can't be Zlamal imo. His decision making on when to come for the ball would lead to him being as disastrous as Pereira, which leaves Doyle, whoopee.

My main worry is that last night was a carbon copy of the games we lost last season under Levein. Opposition sit back, we huff and puff, they score, game over.

DS needs to change that story and start winning these games by using some imagination. Otherwise we’re toast and so is he.

Edited by S Form

The goalkeeper situ is a worry, as I think whoever DS puts in there will let him down, such is the poor quality of them all. 

That aside I'm not going to blame the manager for picking the same team that beat Rangers at home. 

I think we need to play the experienced players first and foremost. 

9 hours ago, Last Laff said:

He has your full backing based on one win? One win?  

Can you explain why exactly?  Because the games aren’t boring losing? He can’t put out a team to win games. He couldn’t for Barnsley either in a decent league. 

celtic away next too, how many games in the league will that be winning one? 

“aye Killie are shite, they will come back to us” really?

”St Johnstone are pish we will catch them”. Should have lost on sat and they just win in Aberdeen.

madness man. 

Based on the pish at this disposal that Levein left. I Said that in the previous post dunno how you missed that. So what do we do empty him after 2 months. That's fecking madness. He will get the summer to bring in his own players then he will be judged by me after that. You'll no doubt disagree which is fair enough, opinions are like arsholes everyone has one. 

If we're conceding 3 against St. Johnstone and Kilmarnock I dread to think how many Celtic will stick past us.

Edited by AndyNic

8 hours ago, dhalljambo15 said:

Pish. Killie were better team apart from third goal he wasn’t that bad

The fringe is in August.

Voiceofreasonfortheseason
7 hours ago, S Form said:

Absolutely spot on. The test will be Celtic Park next week. If he goes there and tries the high press it could get extremely ugly for us.

This, I am with the few on here that feel all the Stendel is a genius stuff came far too early.  I see a few sensible posters on here saying he needs to show a plan B, well for me Celtic park will show if he has any designs on a plan B.  If he goes there and attempts the same high press with the high defensive line then it's completely in the balance if we are going to win enough games to stay in this league.  I fear Tommy Wright was bang on the money in Stendel's first game, teams are going to be comfortable in the knowledge of knowing exactly how we are going to play against them.  I am also going to mention the fact that if we cant get the high press working at Tynecastle then we stand even less chance of it working on the bigger pitches away from home. Last night was a disaster.

1 minute ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

This, I am with the few on here that feel all the Stendel is a genius stuff came far too early.  I see a few sensible posters on here saying he needs to show a plan B, well for me Celtic park will show if he has any designs on a plan B.  If he goes there and attempts the same high press with the high defensive line then it's completely in the balance if we are going to win enough games to stay in this league.  I fear Tommy Wright was bang on the money in Stendel's first game, teams are going to be comfortable in the knowledge of knowing exactly how we are going to play against them.  I am also going to mention the fact that if we cant get the high press working at Tynecastle then we stand even less chance of it working on the bigger pitches away from home. Last night was a disaster.

If we had a competent keeper we wouldn't have drawn on Saturday and wouldnt have lost last night. I personally believe the system would have paid off by now if we didn't have a goalie that done everything bar chuck the ball in his own net. Not saying you're not right in what you say and I'm also aware we have problems in other areas of the pitch but teams will have spells of domination and create chances no matter what system we play or how prepared or unprepared they are for it. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

The thing is, you can’t go from being a terrible team mid season to being a strong, consistent side. We were in trouble long before Stendel came in and the club let that culture develop. Look at how long Berra held his place despite his performances. Look at the way the club tolerated football and results which dropped us to the bottom of the league. It’s set in and it was always going to be a challenge for Stendel to get us out of it. I still think he might but when you’ve got 18 points from 25 games, the reality is that you’re probably down (or finishing bottom two).

37 minutes ago, Coco said:

I like how he has cleared out most of the worst of the squad but Boyce aside I think he has signed the wrong players for what we needed.  And I think the other managers are working out how easy it is to counter what we are trying to do.

I think pragmatic Paulo Sergio was less purist in his football and won us the Cup as a result.  Stendel will need to change something as charges up the field leaving the new terrible trio of Pereira, Halkett and Souttar to be the only defenders will get us relegated.

He didn’t sign Souttar, Halkett and Pereira, and they are the problem at the moment.  **** all to do with systems if a defender lacks the basics and your keeper has no positional awareness.  

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If we had a competent keeper we wouldn't have drawn on Saturday and wouldnt have lost last night. I personally believe the system would have paid off by now if we didn't have a goalie that done everything bar chuck the ball in his own net. Not saying you're not right in what you say and I'm also aware we have problems in other areas of the pitch but teams will have spells of domination and create chances no matter what system we play or how prepared or unprepared they are for it. 

I agree, the big problem is our assistant is a hugely experienced keeper and Stendel didn’t see this coming. Plenty people did, I know I did. 

Sexton Hardcastle
10 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Is this not the exact thing fans have been bitching about for years? Going to celtic and infix and not having a go. Thread after thread following previous defeats moaning how we sit in and take a 1/2-0 defeat. They’d rather go there and lose 10-0 and say we had a go.

Such a confused fan base.

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

I agree, the big problem is our assistant is a hugely experienced keeper and Stendel didn’t see this coming. Plenty people did, I know I did. 

A lot of folk (not me) were screaming for Pereira to be replaced by Gordon. I think I was still on a high from the other new signings we made and couldn't see what was in front of my eyes.

45 minutes ago, Coco said:

Agreed. He needs to do whatever it takes for us to stay up. We look far better in attack now but there has to be a balance between attack and defence. We haven’t quite got that balance yet. I think Bobby should be back for Saturday. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

A lot of folk (not me) were screaming for Pereira to be replaced by Gordon. I think I was still on a high from the other new signings we made and couldn't see what was in front of my eyes.

Not screaming but I was one of them. for the sole reason this guy doesn’t make saves. which is utterly  useless in our system, irrespective of how good he is with his feet. 

16 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Based on the pish at this disposal that Levein left. I Said that in the previous post dunno how you missed that. So what do we do empty him after 2 months. That's fecking madness. He will get the summer to bring in his own players then he will be judged by me after that. You'll no doubt disagree which is fair enough, opinions are like arsholes everyone has one. 

It’s the feckin irony of it all for me 

Levein has ripped the heart from the club. We gave him 3 years to do it and still he had his supporters to the very end ... even to this day 

Stendels trying to sort out his mess that he left in his wake, and 2 months in, the guys now an imposter according to some 

you couldn’t F...... write about it at times 

3 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Is this not the exact thing fans have been bitching about for years? Going to celtic and infix and not having a go. Thread after thread following previous defeats moaning how we sit in and take a 1/2-0 defeat. They’d rather go there and lose 10-0 and say we had a go.

Such a confused fan base.

The first three games the players just weren't buying into the system. From the Aberdeen game onwards we've looked much better and the players are now invested in the way DS wants them to play. We stick to the system, keep  working to improve and whatever happens at Celtic park happens. You can't just rip up the plan because our keeper is hopeless and that is what it comes down to int he last few games.

12 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The thing is, you can’t go from being a terrible team mid season to being a strong, consistent side. We were in trouble long before Stendel came in and the club let that culture develop. Look at how long Berra held his place despite his performances. Look at the way the club tolerated football and results which dropped us to the bottom of the league. It’s set in and it was always going to be a challenge for Stendel to get us out of it. I still think he might but when you’ve got 18 points from 25 games, the reality is that you’re probably down (or finishing bottom two).

Some sense at last 

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Not screaming but I was one of them. for the sole reason this guy doesn’t make saves. which is utterly  useless in our system, irrespective of how good he is with his feet. 

Aye I think I remember you posting in the thread mate. I think, given Stendels comments, he'll stick with Pereira unfortunately but who would you go for if a change was made Doyle or Zlamal?

Sexton Hardcastle
19 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

But it is the idiotic fan culture of just expecting a new manager and some small player additions to make us win 5/6-0 every week. Like it’s a game of Fifa. 

He needs a full season and changes throughout the squad and backroom staff to be judged fairly. He likely won’t get that and fans will start booing him off as they often do.

Stick to watching Liverpool and Man City.

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Aye I think I remember you posting in the thread mate. I think, given Stendels comments, he'll stick with Pereira unfortunately but who would you go for if a change was made Doyle or Zlamal?

I think it has to be Zlamal. He’s prone to the odd brain fart but he’s a better keeper. It’s a really shit situation though and should have been addressed. Stendels system, Boyce and a keeper would have made us instantly better with more points than we currently have imo. Looking at the teams he’s picked we didn’t need the other signings more than we needed a Keeper. I back the manage but he’s ****ed up there and I hope it doesn’t come back to haunt us. 

4 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

But it is the idiotic fan culture of just expecting a new manager and some small player additions to make us win 5/6-0 every week. Like it’s a game of Fifa. 

He needs a full season and changes throughout the squad and backroom staff to be judged fairly. He likely won’t get that and fans will start booing him off as they often do.

Well said.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

All fair but. 

If you are binning Berra straight away you need to replace him. We never. 

Halkett, Souttar, Washington, Naismith are all back. 

Boyce and a few others where signed. 

4 of them have started every game, that should improve us from November /December when these guys where out, no matter who the manager is. 

That Hearts team, no matter who is manager shouldn't be 3 nil down to Killie at home. 

The challenge for Stendel is not the players, from watching us it's the high line and being caught out because of our attacking intent along with our gk, who must be dropped. 

That's his tactics and decisions. 

Doyle and Bobby are both better at actually saving the ball, that is obvious. 

If it was CL not dropping Jp you'd be ranting and raving about how stubborn he is. 

All can be fixed tho and I like his philosophy, but it may need tweaked even for the short term. 

If he doesn't do that then he'll just be as stubborn and culpable as CL if we go down. 

21 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

He didn’t sign Souttar, Halkett and Pereira, and they are the problem at the moment.  **** all to do with systems if a defender lacks the basics and your keeper has no positional awareness.  

That's partly the point.  Pereira and Halkett needed replaced and instead Stendel signed 2 unexciting defensive midfield players when we already had several of those and a clearly lightweight winger when we have plenty of those too.

He needs to be more pragmatic to mitigate the damage Levein and MacPhee did.  Might be a back 3 with Dikamona, Smith and Souttar which gives Clare and Hickey both licence to go forward and a bit more protection.  Or playing our best front 3 (Naismith, Boyce and Walker) instead of the front 4 we have been playing meaning an extra midfield player possible.  And Zlamal in goals as he might save one or two - forget the sweeper keeper stuff.

Gimme an H...
8 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

****ing Bravo, couldn't have put it better myself. 

I'm glad the whole fan base isn't made of morons. 

This place is barking so it is! Stendel cannot change things overnight . Unfortunately he has been left a terrible situation to turn around and to be honest it looks doubtful that he can do it with the players we have. We were lucky we got that result against Rangers it took the sting out of getting beat last night. Thing is we are scoring goals now what we need is to improve our resilience in defense and start winning games. There are enough games left but something has to change and it is not the manager. I have said it before, as have many others, the position we find ourselves in is 100% due to AB not having the bottle to fire CL before the start of the season and any new manager was going to find themselves in the deep end. If Hearts do go down this one will be on her and her alone!!

The people who start these threads just think the solution is to sack the manager and everything will be all right. It's always the same culprits as well.

We're down where we are due to years of mismanagement and one January transfer window, when we were bottom of the league, isn't going to be enough to fix everything. The reaction is due to the fact that some were naive enough to think the result against Rangers was going to turn around our season.

31 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The first three games the players just weren't buying into the system. From the Aberdeen game onwards we've looked much better and the players are now invested in the way DS wants them to play. We stick to the system, keep  working to improve and whatever happens at Celtic park happens. You can't just rip up the plan because our keeper is hopeless and that is what it comes down to int he last few games.

I agree. Stendel needs to fix, as best he can, what is still not working..which is mainly  the defence and midfield. Getting Smith back should help with the former and a fit Sibbick will help the latter. Haven’t seen Langer as I couldn't make it last night so not sure what he will bring. 

We can’t carry on with Joel in goals either and I’d probably bring Bobby back for the Falkirk game. A win on Saturday and avoiding a gubbing next Wednesday would help settle the nerves of the team and supporters imo. 

22 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Nailed it. 

Everyone accepted the squad wasn't good enough but seemingly that's now Stendels fault.