We have another Cathro

Walter Kidd

Stupid Sexy Flanders
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I agree to an extent however with a half decent goalkeeper three of the six goals we conceded were saveable.

I'd say he was at fault for five of them, I'll let him off with the penalty. That could have been two wins instead of a draw and a defeat. 

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Hearts1975

• GinRummy

• jake

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So easy to play against an attacking team, just punt the ball forward and the defence falls apart. Although we won against Rangers the signs were there when they broke through a few times but they struggled to score. Same at St Johnstone and now the same against Kilmarnock, both of whom managed three goals against us. Celtic will rip us up for arse-paper and I was actually looking forward to the derby in a few weeks, not now. Boyle's pace will kill us for a start.

Said a few times already and will say again, we need to play with three at the back if Clare and White/Hickey are bounding forward. We are too exposed. Again, Halkett is no centre-half, more of a defensive midfielder who can help out at the back when we're exposed. He needs a solid defender behind him. Souttar thinks he's better than he actually is and if someone comes in with a couple of million during the summer, bite their hands off! Clare is no right-back, much more effective further forward and there's massive gaps behind him when he gets forward. Pereira can bugger off back to Man Utd and be fifth choice. If he can't do it at SPL level he's no chance in the Premier. Released eventually and will play League 2 or go back home. Zlamal isn't the answer but right now i'd be much more confident with him in goals. 

It has to be three at the back if Stendel wants wide players pushing forward. If not there's plenty chances for other clubs to rip the pish and get three/four goals no problem.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Leaving the defence exposed the high press is all very well

but the defenders and goalkeeper must be switched on which 

we all know are not

Answer the question.

18 hours ago, Walter Kidd said:

He’s a dud. Here comes the championship. It’s taken 3 weeks for coaches to suss Stendel out and he’s clueless. 

Even Cathro took 4 off Rangers. 

The Motans have certainly got your number.

20 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I agree to an extent however with a half decent goalkeeper three of the six goals we conceded were saveable.

You're being kind to Periera

I don't agree that he is the same as Cathro but a worrying similarity is the number of people blaming it on the players not being up to playing his system. This was common from the Cathro defenders. I don't believe we should be sacking him but he must find a way of getting some wins soon or we are staying in the abyss. As others have said some ugly wins would do.

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Some trolling by the same lads who troll every other thread. Good job, boys.

It’s against the rules as well.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s against the rules as well.

2 lads absolutely infested the Killie match thread. Some dedication. Pissing your night away on JKB, going between threads being a ****.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Yip,a competent keeper would have saved at least 2, probably 3 like you say. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Valid concerns. Cathro made a better start to his Hearts career and also had a similar attacking philosophy. We don’t appear to have the players to play this system. 

Cathro signed a whole new team. 

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

2 lads absolutely infested the Killie match thread. Some dedication. Pissing your night away on JKB, going between threads being a ****.

Arseholes.

42 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Some trolling by the same lads who troll every other thread. Good job, boys.

Maybe folk have genuine concerns?

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Maybe folk have genuine concerns?

Did I say otherwise? There are genuine concerns and justified criticism and there is trolling. Really easy to discern between the 2.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Wait till Saturday when we don't beat Falkirk by 3 clear goals.

If we don't beat Falkirk on Saturday our resident apologists for failure will be quick with the "well we can concentrate on the league now" patter. It's pathetic how far we have fallen and how pliable some Hearts fans are. 

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Stedals English and his grasp of syntax is far superior to Cathros.

Please don't mate. I'm getting flashbacks to Cathro post match after another humbling giving it ...."we'll continue to do what we do because it's what we do and we'll keep doing it. Doing what we do is what we do and this why we're here to do what we do". Aaaaaggggghhhhh

19 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Did I say otherwise? There are genuine concerns and justified criticism and there is trolling. Really easy to discern between the 2.

What are the ‘trolls’ saying? So I know what to keep an eye out for!

Far too early to be slagging off DS. It will take a while to turn this around and I think he's the man to do it but two things he needs to address; firstly his insistence on zonal marking at corners is not working either because it's outdated or our players are not savvy enough to get it right, and his insistence to stick with Perreira who in my view is a coward and the worst goalkeeper I have seen in a Hearts team. He does not stand up to shots and makes wrong decisions about whether to come out for the ball or not. Last night we were the better team going forward but were let down by these two things which, I'm afraid, was entirely down to DS. If he looks back on the game I'm sure he will accept the criticism and take steps to remedy the situation.

2 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

This is without doubt and hands down, one of the worst threads I've ever had the misfortune to read

An absolute car crash

The worst you've read so far

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Valid concerns. Cathro made a better start to his Hearts career and also had a similar attacking philosophy. We don’t appear to have the players to play this system. 

Depends how you define 'valid'

There is a lot, and I mean an AWFUL lot of froth gash on here, and not the good kind

Bit early to be calling him cathro.

Although that was a shite performance last night and 6 goals against us in two games is not good enough.  I'm willing to give him time and give him my support but we need to pick up more wins.

The jury is out. 

Mikey Smith as sweeper and Bobby in goals (though he is gash too but would probably have saved at least 3 of the last 6 against) should see us winning more games than we lose.  Just my opinion

MarkDevriesScores4
5 minutes ago, Blackshades said:

This place gets more like, one flew over the cuckoo's nest .every day, nuthouse.

Agreed. This thread is full of children in a bad mood. Grow up

10 minutes ago, jamboiain13 said:

Mikey Smith as sweeper and Bobby in goals (though he is gash too but would probably have saved at least 3 of the last 6 against) should see us winning more games than we lose.  Just my opinion

Aye cos we hardly lost any games with Zlamal in goals 

20 hours ago, Walter Kidd said:

He’s a dud. Here comes the championship. It’s taken 3 weeks for coaches to suss Stendel out and he’s clueless. 

Even Cathro took 4 off Rangers. 

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.1b90241ea34c223d76717dd854a2537d.gif

been here before
1 hour ago, eyesandears said:

Please don't mate. I'm getting flashbacks to Cathro post match after another humbling giving it ...."we'll continue to do what we do because it's what we do and we'll keep doing it. Doing what we do is what we do and this why we're here to do what we do". Aaaaaggggghhhhh

I still laugh and cry at this in equal measure. Following the 1-1 SC game at Raith...

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip,a competent keeper would have saved at least 2, probably 3 like you say. 

And here’s the issue. Plain for everybody with eyes to see but naw. He’s cathro, the players can’t play his system. Everybody knew, way before yesterday we’d both score and lose more goals with his system but since Pereira sold the jerseys two games in a row, everything’s away tae ****, games up the pole etc etc.  Bunch of absolute slavers. 

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

And here’s the issue. Plain for everybody with eyes to see but naw. He’s cathro, the players can’t play his system. Everybody knew, way before yesterday we’d both score and lose more goals with his system but since Pereira sold the jerseys two games in a row, everything’s away tae ****, games up the pole etc etc.  Bunch of absolute slavers. 

Yip, slaver grenades all over the place. 

part_time_jambo

I said in the post Rangers euphoria that if Stendel lost the next 2 games people would be hounding him. It is so predictable.

I say now that if he wins the next 2 games he will be a hero again.

25 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Nailed it. 👏

2 hours ago, weehammy said:

Comparison with Cathro is well wide of the mark (as I suspect the OP knows).

Cathro took over a settled and fairly successful team and had the support of a Director of F. 
Stendel inherited a s***fest with none of his own staff to help him.
Cathro was a novice head coach who communicated poorly with the media and, one suspects, players.

Stendel is experienced and seems comfortable communicating, his relatively poor English notwithstanding.

What they do have in common is being able to use a January transfer window and achieving famous wins against Rangers.

But I do share your concerns about the other worrying similarity you identify - that of trying to implement a new system in mid-season.

I respect all your opinions.

I’d question describing Stendel as ‘experienced’, I think ‘limited experience’ would be a more apt description.

Never managed at a high level and only been short tenure in managerial roles.

I think his lack of experience is reflected in his tactics, player recruitment, team selection, and approach to matches which when combined together have delivered ‘disappointing’ results!

He’s on a steep learning curve and needs to climb quickly to avoid failing. I hope he succeeds and wish him all the best!

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, jambonian said:

So easy to play against an attacking team, just punt the ball forward and the defence falls apart. Although we won against Rangers the signs were there when they broke through a few times but they struggled to score. Same at St Johnstone and now the same against Kilmarnock, both of whom managed three goals against us. Celtic will rip us up for arse-paper and I was actually looking forward to the derby in a few weeks, not now. Boyle's pace will kill us for a start.

Said a few times already and will say again, we need to play with three at the back if Clare and White/Hickey are bounding forward. We are too exposed. Again, Halkett is no centre-half, more of a defensive midfielder who can help out at the back when we're exposed. He needs a solid defender behind him. Souttar thinks he's better than he actually is and if someone comes in with a couple of million during the summer, bite their hands off! Clare is no right-back, much more effective further forward and there's massive gaps behind him when he gets forward. Pereira can bugger off back to Man Utd and be fifth choice. If he can't do it at SPL level he's no chance in the Premier. Released eventually and will play League 2 or go back home. Zlamal isn't the answer but right now i'd be much more confident with him in goals. 

It has to be three at the back if Stendel wants wide players pushing forward. If not there's plenty chances for other clubs to rip the pish and get three/four goals no problem.

Yip. Could play Smith and Hickey as back 4 and let Clare have a shot wide right, purely on his finishing ability.

cardboardcutout

It’s more the fact that there is no discernible system! Does anyone think we look organised disciplined cohesive and difficult to beat??

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Des' Dad said:

Far too early to be slagging off DS. It will take a while to turn this around and I think he's the man to do it but two things he needs to address; firstly his insistence on zonal marking at corners is not working either because it's outdated or our players are not savvy enough to get it right, and his insistence to stick with Perreira who in my view is a coward and the worst goalkeeper I have seen in a Hearts team. He does not stand up to shots and makes wrong decisions about whether to come out for the ball or not. Last night we were the better team going forward but were let down by these two things which, I'm afraid, was entirely down to DS. If he looks back on the game I'm sure he will accept the criticism and take steps to remedy the situation.

Good shout. 

The zonal marking is honking. 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I respect all your opinions.

I’d question describing Stendel as ‘experienced’, I think ‘limited experience’ would be a more apt description.

Never managed at a high level and only been short tenure in managerial roles.

I think his lack of experience is reflected in his tactics, player recruitment, team selection, and approach to matches which when combined together have delivered ‘disappointing’ results!

He’s on a steep learning curve and needs to climb quickly to avoid failing. I hope he succeeds and wish him all the best!

Bundesliga and English Championship not a ‘high level’ ?

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Bundesliga and English Championship not a ‘high level’ ?

Yes BUT he was not really there in either was he?? 

Bundesliga 2 (TWO) - sacked before they were promoted because  .... simply he was a failure and if he’d stayed they would not have gone up!

EPL 1st (FIRST) division won promotion and was then sacked in October for being a total failure in the Championship

And simply that is is his total managerial record! It’s not an outstanding CV on; either demonstrable achievements or length of tenure (job retention) in a managerial role!

Guest ToqueJambo

Stendel is clearly better equipped to manage than Cathro was. However, if he sticks rigidly to one game plan, it would be a fair comparison. That was Cathro's downfall, he had this "philosophy" and way he wanted to play, and he stuck by it even when it was obvious it wasn't working. By contrast Levein and, especially, Neilson were often accused of "tinkering" when in fact they devised game plans for specific games, which is what I always assumed managers were supposed to do. I really hope Stendel has it in his locker to go with 2 up front now and then or a back 3 or whatever according to who we're playing.

The St johnstone and kilmarnock games we needed to change tactics. Stendal still has to learn to change tactics at games when he was at Barnsley they did lose a lot of goals due to poor defending. unfortunately with his style of play hearts will lose a lot of goals. Other teams with defend and on breakaway will score with poor defence and a poor goalkeeper.

Exile fae Main Street

Don't understand why the OP has been taken to task DS record is awful, and some of his team selections baffling ( Moore and Henderson, can't see what they bring to the table) . Joel P needs binned......sacked after Barnsley won one in 10......ominous imho. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Exile fae Main Street said:

Don't understand why the OP has been taken to task DS record is awful, and some of his team selections baffling ( Moore and Henderson, can't see what they bring to the table) . Joel P needs binned......sacked after Barnsley won one in 10......ominous imho. 

Moore and Henderson bring energy and more attacking impetus, which we've been lacking, but they are raw. They have helped us play more attacking football though, and were part of the great win vs Rangers. The problem is the defending and the goalie as you say.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

Ffs .....the Rangers game could've been very different (enjoyable though it was)

Only if you believe the Sportscene highlights were an accurate reflection of that game.

Fully expect to beat Falkirk, get thrashed by Celtic, so the Hamilton game will be defining for me, if we get  beat then we are in real trouble of not being able to get out of the relegation spot. DS needs to get the denfensive side of the game sorted quickly , high press is great if you stop the team from attacking. On Wedensday we saw our two central defenders hung out to dry on to many occassions.

7 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Yes BUT he was not really there in either was he?? 

Bundesliga 2 (TWO) - sacked before they were promoted because  .... simply he was a failure and if he’d stayed they would not have gone up!

EPL 1st (FIRST) division won promotion and was then sacked in October for being a total failure in the Championship

And simply that is is his total managerial record! It’s not an outstanding CV on; either demonstrable achievements or length of tenure (job retention) in a managerial role!

At Hanover he won as many as they lost drew so hardly tragic as a first spell in management.  Second spell promotion. Yes his championship spell for Barnsley was poor but there were extenuating circumstances like having to start with a whole new defence and having your joint top goal scorer sold 3 days before the window closed. His Hearts career has only just begun.