We have another Cathro

Walter Kidd

Not read the whole thread, but I personally love what Stendel is trying to do. 3-0 down last night and I never thought we were out of the game.

He’s shown himself to be ruthless so far, so he’s got to continue this and never play Periera again. 

While I love seeing us go all out attack, I thought the point of a holding midfielder was to protect the defence. I expected to see Langar cover for the full backs last night when they bombed forward, but Langar was bombing forward too. We desperately need a holding midfielder to give defensive cover. What I’d give for Haring to come back.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Hearts1975

• GinRummy

• jake

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I trust the manager to continue turning us around.

the man inherited an absolute clusterfeck of a squad with no structure to it and had had to start rebuilding it again,

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I trust the manager to continue turning us around.

the man inherited an absolute clusterfeck of a squad with no structure to it and had had to start rebuilding it again,

This.

Ex member of the SaS

Some points to ponder:

We have had years of poor management.

We have had years of poor players coming in and a bloated squad filled with rejects

We have a team that a few months ago everyone was say is dog poo.

New manager comes in:

He's inherited the above with little cash. 

He's had ONE window at the worst time of the year to recruit decent players.

He's trying to change the mind set of players who have had years of negative football.

The previous management: give him one more window, give him time to get the injured players back, and a few other excuses I can't call to mind at this time.

The new manager: one win in nine and he should be dumped.

The guy is not a miracle worker, he's trying to recruit players who see us as relegation fodder. If you are not willing to cut him some slack why  did it take so long to get rid of Levein?

32 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I agree. Stendel needs to fix, as best he can, what is still not working..which is mainly  the defence and midfield. Getting Smith back should help with the former and a fit Sibbick will help the latter. Haven’t seen Langer as I couldn't make it last night so not sure what he will bring. 

We can’t carry on with Joel in goals either and I’d probably bring Bobby back for the Falkirk game. A win on Saturday and avoiding a gubbing next Wednesday would help settle the nerves of the team and supporters imo. 

I agree re Smith and hopfully Hickey back soon as well, White has done ok but he's not as good as Aaron. Sibbick I think is the type of player we need beside Irvine but as you said the keeper is the real issue. Despite our other failings a better keeper would have given is a far better chance of maximum points in the last two games.

We have to hold our nerve and stick with DS but the results have been a concern.

His record over 9 league games is identical to the 9 games preceeding his appointment and, whilst i did not expect miracles, i expected more than this. I get what the OP is saying about another Cathro but DS has proven experience and his ability to manage a dressing room is not an issue.

Hopefully we can scrape up to 10th place and go again next season. If we can do that then i have absolute faith we will push on in style.

Austin MacGlee
1 hour ago, AndyNic said:

If we're conceding 3 against St. Johnstone and Kilmarnock I dread to think how many Celtic will stick past us.

This is my fear.

So bitterly disappointed with last night, was too depressed to even look on here when I got home.

Every game is "must win" for us now, which would be unrealistic even if we were in great form and not rooted to the bottom. I'm beginning to think it's relegation as a certainty. 

Team selection was all wrong last night and the high defensive line against counter attacking teams like Killie is just suicide. 

To compare Stendel to Cathro is absolutely mental though. Two very different situations.

Hope Stendel has a plan B otherwise we're taking trips to Dunfermline and Partick next season instead of Parkhead and Pittodrie.

11 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Some points to ponder:

We have had years of poor players coming in and a bloated squad filled with rejects

New manager comes in:

He's trying to change the mind set of players who have had years of negative football.

The previous management: give him one more window, give him time to get the injured players back, and a few other excuses I can't call to mind at this time.

The guy is not a miracle worker, he's trying to recruit players who see us as relegation fodder. If you are not willing to cut him some slack why  did it take so long to get rid of Levein?

Spot on 

Ex member of the SaS

Levein made the mistake of changing tactics trying to out think his opponent. Stendel is trying to play the same way every time and teams know how to take advantage. We need a little of both and the players need to step up and play for 90 minutes. It's all very well pounding their goal ( with no result ) for 45 minutes then downing tools for the other 45. Instead of trying to walk the ball into the net why not have a pop? Clare showed this last week, so why don't they test the keeper and run in to take advantage of any rebounds?

20 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Some points to ponder:

New manager comes in:

when can Stendel be judged in your opinion? He  thinks Pereia is the answer, When can he be judged on that decision ? 

Seems like it was ok to judge after the Rangers game as long has you’re  creaming your pants over how good he is. 

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, Dazo said:

when can Stendel be judged in your opinion? He  thinks Pereia is the answer, When can he be judged on that decision ? 

Seems like it was ok to judge after the Rangers game as long has you’re  creaming your pants over how good he is. 

It's not for me to decide when he should be judged, The point I was making is some on here want him gone, but the same people gave Levein way too much time. There has to be a balance and it's too early IMHO to start thinking about dumping Stendel when he has Levein's years of poor recruitment to deal with. IF we avoid relegation and we are heading to the same or similar position next season, then I would suggest is the time to want him gone ( I would however think we would get rid before being in such dire straights, as it was waiting with Levein that has us in this fix. ) 

The White Cockade

Kickback is mad sometimes 

Everybody said we were a car crash so how do people reckon it can all change quickly?

We have scored 13 in 4 games I think more than we had scored in 4 months!

Yes there are problems and problem areas to be fixed Perreira will be gone end of season and I’d risk bringing Bobby back in. now

but

GIVE THE NEW BOSS A CHANCE!!!

Салатные палочки
5 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Kickback is mad sometimes 

Everybody said we were a car crash so how do people reckon it can all change quickly?

We have scored 13 in 4 games I think more than we had scored in 4 months!

Yes there are problems and problem areas to be fixed Perreira will be gone end of season and I’d risk bringing Bobby back in. now

but

GIVE THE NEW BOSS A CHANCE!!!

:spoton:

You can see the small changes that are being made.  Playing a more attacking game (albeit leaving ourselves very vulnerable), scoring more goals than we have seen in a long time, keeping it up until the final whistle instead of accepting defeat.

5 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

It's not for me to decide when he should be judged, The point I was making is some on here want him gone, but the same people gave Levein way too much time. There has to be a balance and it's too early IMHO to start thinking about dumping Stendel when he has Levein's years of poor recruitment to deal with. IF we avoid relegation and we are heading to the same or similar position next season, then I would suggest is the time to want him gone ( I would however think we would get rid before being in such dire straights, as it was waiting with Levein that has us in this fix. ) 

I agree completely it’s a nonsense to suggest he should be gone but you seem to say it’s not for you to say when he can be judged but having a go at people for judging him. Levein is nothing to do with the 1st team this is Stendel’s watch. 

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

It’s the feckin irony of it all for me 

Levein has ripped the heart from the club. We gave him 3 years to do it and still he had his supporters to the very end ... even to this day 

Stendels trying to sort out his mess that he left in his wake, and 2 months in, the guys now an imposter according to some 

you couldn’t F...... write about it at times 

Totally agree.

CL "He justs needs January to sort it"

CL " January is difficult he needs the summer to sort it out"

CL " Give him to the end of the first round of games" and repeat.

DS  - He's had TWO months and the worst window for actually being able to sign players"

No improvement? -get rid!!

He is doing a juggling act, trying to get rid of players we were all unhappy with, whilst getting in new players who fit his system.

I dont know what people really expect, if we are relegated (dont think we will) ,it will only be one individuals fault, and it aint DS.

Kilmarnock pretty much had 3 chances last night,and scored with them all, none of which could be directly related to the system.A header from a corner, a basic defensive error, and a sh*t goalkeeper.

I am sure we were looking at a goalkeeper in the window, but Jan is tough and we obviously couldnt get anyone.

So what is DS going to say " All our keepers are crap and I have no confidence in them" that is really gonna help.

If he gets us out of this he deserves a medal IMO.

You could make the argument that with better keeping we'd have just taken 7 from 9 and everything would be rosy. If Levein was still in charge it's likely we would have taken nothing from those games.

DS inherited a mess on and off the pitch, and with the way he wants to play the game being SO different to the previous regime it was always going to take more than two months and one transfer window to sort. He is still battling with the poor recruitment of Levein/Macphee. 

Is his all-or-nothing style of football the best to bring into a team in a relegation battle? Definitely not for your average Heart's supporters blood pressure. Is it the style of football and philosophy most fans would prefer to instil long-term? Yes. (at least for me). It's got an obvious counter that the defence should be aware of and 

Cathro came in with a bunch of talk about a philosophy and an action plan and we saw very little evidence of it actually working on the pitch. You can't say that for DS. The spirit within the squad that we have seen recently is also a big positive of DS coming in. 

With Levein we weren't scoring and conceding easily. At least we are scoring now. The defence was always going to be the harder job to get sorted in this system.  

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Totally agree.

DS  - He's had TWO months and the worst window for actually being able to sign players"

He is doing a juggling act, trying to get rid of players we were all unhappy with, whilst getting in new players who fit his system.

I dont know what people really expect, if we are relegated (dont think we will) ,it will only be one individuals fault, and it aint DS.

Kilmarnock pretty much had 3 chances last night,and scored with them all, none of which could be directly related to the system.A header from a corner, a basic defensive error, and a sh*t goalkeeper.

I am sure we were looking at a goalkeeper in the window, but Jan is tough and we obviously couldnt get anyone.

So what is DS going to say " All our keepers are crap and I have no confidence in them" that is really gonna help.

Some extremely pertinent points you made there. Totally agree. 

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Totally agree.

Agree on everything 👍

Tokyo Drifter
14 hours ago, Walter Kidd said:

He’s a dud. Here comes the championship. It’s taken 3 weeks for coaches to suss Stendel out and he’s clueless. 

Even Cathro took 4 off Rangers. 

Been thinking it myself but for a different reason perhaps: like Cathro, Stendel wants to play a certain way but just doesn't have the players who can do it, nor does the club have the financial clout to buy them.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

We have to hold our nerve and stick with DS but the results have been a concern.

His record over 9 league games is identical to the 9 games preceeding his appointment and, whilst i did not expect miracles, i expected more than this. I get what the OP is saying about another Cathro but DS has proven experience and his ability to manage a dressing room is not an issue.

Hopefully we can scrape up to 10th place and go again next season. If we can do that then i have absolute faith we will push on in style.

Exactly where I'm at. Expected better but get what DS is trying to do.  Last night was first time I've doubted 10th is possible

19 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

What an absolute drama queen of an opening post, Jesus wept, this place is utterly crazy at times! 

Give yourself a pat on the back mate... this place to a T! This place is like a very erratic pendulum ... win and the next game we are going to pound the opposition for 3 or 4 goals... of course we get pumped and its we need a new manager time absolutely mental .

I think what we can all agree on though is that we have to start winning against the teams around us not just raising our game to beat a Rangers side or teams further up the table and then get beaten by our relegation counterparts. It will not be easy but there are still a lot of games to play and we should be focused on getting out of the bottom three or four.

peebles jambo
14 hours ago, Jeff said:

Pereira on the team sheet tonight was a disgraceful decision

Yip, the guy will be a keeper when I'm a millionaire

Defending the un-defendable.   The defence as a unit are shit.  And JP is the shitiest of the lot.  Berra was the patsy.

I do not expect to see Periera start on Saturday.

Fxxx the SPFL
23 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Give yourself a pat on the back mate... this place to a T! This place is like a very erratic pendulum ... win and the next game we are going to pound the opposition for 3 or 4 goals... of course we get pumped and its we need a new manager time absolutely mental .

I think what we can all agree on though is that we have to start winning against the teams around us not just raising our game to beat a Rangers side or teams further up the table and then get beaten by our relegation counterparts. It will not be easy but there are still a lot of games to play and we should be focused on getting out of the bottom three or four.

I think the problem was beating a very poor Rangers team on the night we thought well here we go world beaters onwards and upwards. I thought some of the football we played in the first half last night was terrific  it was just in and around the box we struggled to find space to find a thorough pass a couple of over hit crosses didn't help. I do believe we will make at least 10th. second half we were still creating chances it's the defence and getting caught out on the break that's at the heart of the problems.

He and his management team have my full support but I would be lying if I was to say his record is not concerning me.  We will almost certainly not beat Celtic so that is 1 win in 10.  In this time we have played some utter dross.

been here before
5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He and his management team have my full support but I would be lying if I was to say his record is not concerning me.  We will almost certainly not beat Celtic so that is 1 win in 10.  In this time we have played some utter dross.

:rofl:

I suppose he can have your full support as Hearts dont have any of it.

6 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Jesus talk about an overreaction. Think some folk need to stay away from kickback & alcohol after hearts games

Aye, I read that we had to win that game last night. Now certain that we are going down.

We're a point behind Hamilton FFS.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Aye, I read that we had to win that game last night. Now certain that we are going down.

We're a point behind Hamilton FFS.

18 points from 75

Livingston have almost double our points total.  Livingston!

Leather face had no issue with us getting horsed 5 nil of them to be fair so maybe this is now 'accepted'.

The Old Tolbooth
47 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

He's had one transfer window and practically zero budget to bring in players, and managed to wheel and deal by bringing in a proven goalscorer which we badly needed, if someone said to me before the St Johnstone game that we would score 5 goals over the two games, I'd be very happy with that, what you can't legislate for is Perriera chucking in 4 goals over those two games also, and Souttar looking like he's never seen a ball in his life (that baffles me!). 

I can see which direction Stendel is taking us in, and I like the idea of it, it's very entertaining and through time will become rewarding, however right now I think I'd prefer to win ugly and get points on the board, by hook or by crook if you like (and that's not me saying I want to go back to the Levein style of play, urrrggghh!). He's still having to work with utter dross left over by Levein and his gang, but he's slowly but surely getting the message through to them, and it's clear that we'll have a mega busy summer ahead of us with outgoings and incoming players, Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Stendel has to sort out the defence quickly. 

We seem to go gung ho every game no matter who we are playing. 

We are losing goals like confetti but we don't seem to learn from it. 

The defensive display last night after that second half in Perth was absolutely shocking and nieve as hell. 

Does the man have a plan B though. 

I wonder tbh. 

Voiceofreasonfortheseason
1 hour ago, been here before said:

:rofl:

I suppose he can have your full support as Hearts dont have any of it.

Get stuck into i8 all you want but he has a point there.  I believe in rules and order, it's in my blood from my army days.

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

What an absolute drama queen of an opening post, Jesus wept, this place is utterly crazy at times! 

:}

1 hour ago, Noah Claypole said:

Spray paint purchased.

I'm off down the Plaza.

The writing was on the wall someone would say this.     :)

The Real Maroonblood

Poster only appears after a defeat.

Big Slim Stylee

OP’s an always-angry fud to be  fair so not sure what you expected.😀

I stayed away from here last night to avoid precisely those hysterics.

Threads improved a lot with some reasonable thoughts today.

17 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Signs were there on Saturday that there was problems ahead I am afraid. 

and did you see the same signs in the Rangers game ??????

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I agree. Stendel needs to fix, as best he can, what is still not working..which is mainly  the defence and midfield. Getting Smith back should help with the former and a fit Sibbick will help the latter. Haven’t seen Langer as I couldn't make it last night so not sure what he will bring. 

We can’t carry on with Joel in goals either and I’d probably bring Bobby back for the Falkirk game. A win on Saturday and avoiding a gubbing next Wednesday would help settle the nerves of the team and supporters imo. 

Was Sibbick not mainly a centre back?

Perhaps we could use him there, as he looks quick, and athletic and is a good height for a CB.

We hardly won a header last night.

Thought Langer was neat and tidy last night, without attempting to do anything spectacular.

He might be able to play the sitting role.

His record of one league win since his arrival is terrible maybe 

now we know why Barnsley sacked him he more or less told

everyone how we would play which was niav

12 minutes ago, Simmo said:

and did you see the same signs in the Rangers game ??????

No but as clear as day in the last 2 games. 

Beginning to think the Rangers game might be a one off tbh. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

His record of one league win since his arrival is terrible maybe 

now we know why Barnsley sacked him he more or less told

everyone how we would play which was niav

What formation is niav?

Nicholas Brody

Stendels first five games before the window and within what, two weeks of being hired? Was LLLLD. Again, 5 games in around two weeks after just arriving, with none of his own players or coaches.

After the break, getting his own players and coaches in his record is now (W)DWDL. 

1 Loss in his last five games. The best run we've been on all season. 

Edited by Nicholas Brody

Absolute Scenes

This is without doubt and hands down, one of the worst threads I've ever had the misfortune to read

An absolute car crash

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

This is without doubt and hands down, one of the worst threads I've ever had the misfortune to read

An absolute car crash

Wait till Saturday when we don't beat Falkirk by 3 clear goals.

17 hours ago, Walter Kidd said:

6 goals against In two games. His tactics will not work with the players we have as teams are countering us and scoring at will. He’s a dud. A dud at Barnsley and a dud here. 

I agree to an extent however with a half decent goalkeeper three of the six goals we conceded were saveable.

19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What formation is niav?

Leaving the defence exposed the high press is all very well

but the defenders and goalkeeper must be switched on which 

we all know are not

15 minutes ago, Nicholas Brody said:

Stendels first five games before the window and within what, two weeks of being hired? Was LLLLD. Again, 5 games in around two weeks after just arriving, with none of his own players or coaches.

After the break, getting his own players and coaches in his record is now (W)DWDL. 

1 Loss in his last five games. The best run we've been on all season. 

Yip, it’s fairer to judge him post break imo. 

4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

An absolute car crash

Valid concerns. Cathro made a better start to his Hearts career and also had a similar attacking philosophy. We don’t appear to have the players to play this system.