We have another Cathro

Walter Kidd

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Massive improvement? Staggering!

In terms of entertainment? In terms of willingness to attack?

It's staggering you could think otherwise, tbh.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Hearts1975

• GinRummy

• jake

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone who thought he was going to change our poor form immediately which was years in the making was deluded.

Confident we will stay up with some bumps along the way.

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

He’s bound to see how bad he is and just not saying it publicly. 

That's what I thought - but apparently he'll be keeping his place on Saturday (unless I'm misunderstanding DS's comments about the defence).

2 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

That's what I thought - but apparently he'll be keeping his place on Saturday (unless I'm misunderstanding DS's comments about the defence).

Hope to god it’s wrong. Can’t believe he’s sticking with him tbh. 

4 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

It’s staggering that you don’t realise winning games is the only true measurement of improvement. Unless we beat Hamilton, Stendel has only matched Levein’s single victory!

I'll say it now, even IF we go down i hope we stick with stendel.

Seen enough to suggest he knows what he is doing. The mess hes has to sort out runs deep.

Get past the celtic game without too much of a bloody nose and we've got a wee run to pick up points. That'll be the most crucial games. 

54 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

This football manager malarkey is so easy. The number of out of work expert managers on this thread alone beggars belief.

Sadly it seems easy to manage a team playing us!

Nelly Terraces
54 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

That's true re a willingness to get on the front foot mate but with the pretty dire predicament we find ourselves in this season that only goes so far & it's points/wins, by any means, that we really need.

Fingers crossed Dan can find a way of combining that attacking ethos while managing to get a far better defensive performance.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, Redhelen said:

At Hanover he won as many as they lost drew so hardly tragic as a first spell in management.  Second spell promotion. Yes his championship spell for Barnsley was poor but there were extenuating circumstances like having to start with a whole new defence and having your joint top goal scorer sold 3 days before the window closed. His Hearts career has only just begun.

5 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Car crash of a thread indeed

Almost the whole board hailed Stendel as the real deal after the rangers game

fast forward 2 games and the knives are out 

Christ, it took 3 years of Levein and he still had his backers at the very end 

2 months in Anti-Stendel threads starting already

it beggars belief. We have some lunatics in our support. That’s for sure. 

Both spot on 👍

I am confident we will stay up. 

Then the summer we will be a rebuild with getting the right players in, to take this club back to were it should be. 

Expectations are way to high at the moment, so if we stay up we will be doing well. 

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Agree, poor passes and players not moving off the ball are a big part of why this system is not working as it should. Get stuck into their defenders when the have the ball and move to space when we have it. Maybe one other thing is, we try to walk the ball into the net, Clare and Halkett showed what you can do it you just have a pop.

The big thing for me was Naismith playing far too deep and Boyle was also having to come back to get the ball. Said in another thread Irvine was a big part in that as he delayed too long, allowing them to steal the ball or he thumped it into the first defender. The strikers need decent passes to do their job so why are we not practicing crosses etc? Too often we get down the wing only for the ball to be hoofed right over the box and out for a throw. Surely a professional player knows how hard to kick a ball.

Your absolutely right. Naismith coming from deep wasn’t effective for us at all and The amount of times that Irvine got caught in possession or a Naismith pass was intercepted was significant 

noticed as well that the amount of times that we get the full backs forward into the attacking half but they don’t try and overlap the wingers to get to the byline.

The early crosses are just being mopped up by the Opposition defence or as you said, are put in over everyone’s head 

Said in another thread we should have a DM just anchor of the CB’s all game. No pressing, just mop up and when we get hit on the counter he slots in as a CB and allows the CB’s to push wide to stop the other teams wide players. Hopefully we will see some changes and it starts with Falkirk. 

42 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Both spot on 👍

I am confident we will stay up. 

Then the summer we will be a rebuild with getting the right players in, to take this club back to were it should be. 

Expectations are way to high at the moment, so if we stay up we will be doing well. 

We can stay up this season, no question 

he needs a full Pre season and allowed to bring in more players. 

We have some critical games coming up and need to stick together. 

Hopefully now having Sievers, tong, and Kirk in place will help him and the players get defensively better on the training ground 

We need to Believe and keep the faith 👍

it was always going to be a bumpy ride considering the state we were in when Stendel arrived at the club 

On 05/02/2020 at 21:14, iantjambo said:

Did people really expect Stendel to sort out the utter shitfest that he inherited in just a couple of months? 😂😂😂

Good post. You only need to look at the squad he was left with and the clubs that those players ended up at to see what a mess we are in. I believe stendel will get us out of this mess. 

29 minutes ago, Dr Lager said:

This is actually the worst thread in history. And it has some competition 

During Cathro's initial 10 games he had three big wins:

Hearts 4-0 Kilmarnock

Motherwell 0-3 Hearts 

Hearts 4-1 Rangers 

During Stendel's initial 9 games we've had one big win against Rangers and a Scottish Cup thrashing of Airdrie. The comparisons are entirely valid and worth discussion and debate. 

baron of ness
43 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hearts 4-0 Kilmarnock

Motherwell 0-3 Hearts 

Hearts 4-1 Rangers 

During Stendel's initial 9 games we've had one big win against Rangers and a Scottish Cup thrashing of Airdrie. The comparisons are entirely valid and worth discussion and debate. 

Bring Cathro back, omg. 

pettigrewsstylist

New manager cannae win a match hardly, and leaks goals like a sieve straight after transfer window backing. Aye, ridiculous right enough 😁

Same as it ever was... 

baron of ness
1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

New manager cannae win a match hardly, and leaks goals like a sieve straight after transfer window backing. Aye, ridiculous right enough 😁

Same as it ever was... 

This place is mental. 😐

6 minutes ago, baron of ness said:

Bring Cathro back, omg. 

Just now, baron of ness said:

This place is mental. 😐

It must be, if you can't understand what has been written!

52 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hearts 4-0 Kilmarnock

Motherwell 0-3 Hearts 

Hearts 4-1 Rangers 

Not taking sides either way but we were 2nd or 3rd top when Cathro was appointed. Huge difference in squad and confidence tbh 

I think we will go down, but I back DS to bring us straight back up.

Dont blame him for the mess. That is down to CL and Budge.

i have agreed with every decision he has made to let players go. 

I am enjoying coming to Tynecastle and watching attacking football again.

1 minute ago, PTBCAL said:

Not taking sides either way but we were 2nd or 3rd top when Cathro was appointed. Huge difference in squad and confidence tbh 

Agree on the confidence of the squad and the effect of that.  Just think it is worrying that we've managed less wins under Stendel than Cathro, whom many would put down as one of the worst managers in our history. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hearts 4-0 Kilmarnock

Motherwell 0-3 Hearts 

Hearts 4-1 Rangers 

It's only valid if you ignore all other context. Cathro took over a team in 2nd place with confidence high, a solid defence and strikers coming into some form. All he had to do was keep things tricking along and strengthen in a couple of positions in January. Instead he set about dismantling and destabilising it for no particular reason, and made it worse. His January signings were mostly atrocious, and he let three in form players leave - Rossi, Johnson and Muirhead. Even Sammon had been coming on to a game off the bench.

Stendel had a much bigger task on his hands from Day 1. While the results haven't yet come, Stendel has already improved the squad and appears to have a cohesive plan, while Cathro appeared to be making it up as we went along.

If Stendel continues playing one way no matter what, then there might be a case for saying he's like Cathro.

Edited by ToqueJambo

56 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hearts 4-0 Kilmarnock

Motherwell 0-3 Hearts 

Hearts 4-1 Rangers 

don't take this offensively 👍,but what position were we in the league when Cathro took over. 

7 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

You have beat me to it 👍

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

don't take this offensively 👍,but what position were we in the league when Cathro took over. 

I acknowledged the league difference above. 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's only valid if you ignore all other context. Cathro took over a team in 2nd place with confidence high, a solid defence and strikers coming into some form. All he had to do was keep things tricking along and strengthen in a couple of positions in January. Instead he set about dismantling and destabilising it for no particular reason, and made it worse. His January signings were mostly atrocious, and he let three in form players leave - Rossi, Johnson and Muirhead. Even Sammon had been coming on to a game off the bench.

Stendel had a much bigger task on his job from Day 1. While the results haven't yet come, Stendel has already improved the squad and appears to have a cohesive plan, while Cathro appeared to be making it up as we went along.

If Stendel continues playing one way no matter what, then there might be a case for saying he's like Cathro.

Perhaps compare Jack Ross to Stendel then? Hibs were a point or two above us when Levein and Heckingbottom we’re both sacked. Both of us were in the League Cup semi finals. The evidence suggests two evenly matched teams. They’re now in the top six, twelve points above a bottom placed Hearts team. I think the player comparison is the most accurate. Stendel has dropped to the bench or released Whelan, Berra, Mulraney,  Uche, Washington, Meshino and Walker, while playing Henderson, Irving, Moore and Bozanic. I’m not convinced any of the latter four players are better than their corresponding counterpart?

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I acknowledged the league difference above. 

Perhaps compare Jack Ross to Stendel then? Hibs were a point or two above us when Levein and Heckingbottom we’re both sacked. Both of us were in the League Cup semi finals. The evidence suggests two evenly matched teams. They’re now in the top six, twelve points above a bottom placed Hearts team. I think the player comparison is the most accurate. Stendel has dropped to the bench or released Whelan, Berra, Mulraney,  Uche, Washington, Meshino and Walker, while playing Henderson, Irving, Moore and Bozanic. I’m not convinced any of the latter four players are better than their corresponding counterpart?

Irving, Moore and Henderson have contributed far more in the last few games than Whelan, Mulraney and Meshino did in previous games. Berra as we all know was broken. Washington and Walker are just coming back from injury. Uche is finally being used in his best position (IMO) - impact sub.

The comparison with Hibs isn't valid. They haven't had our injuries and morale wasn't as low. And Ross isn't trying to play football of any quality. None of my Hibs mates like him. If Stendel can pull our defence together I honestly believe we could even get close to or overtake Hibs.

What it sounds like you are saying is we'd probably be better off points-wise with Levein still in charge and I don't disagree as I think with injured players back we would have started grinding out more wins and draws under him. We may even have signed Boyce with him still in charge as he tried before. He simply couldn't continue though. We needed fresh ideas and someone who could lift the fans and players and we seem to have got that man.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Irving, Moore and Henderson have contributed far more in the last few games than Whelan, Mulraney and Meshino did in previous games. Berra as we all know was broken. Washington and Walker are just coming back from injury. Uche is finally being used in his best position (IMO) - impact sub.

The comparison with Hibs isn't valid. They haven't had our injuries and morale wasn't as low. And Ross isn't trying to play football of any quality. None of my Hibs mates like him. If Stendel can pull our defence together I honestly believe we could even get close to or overtake Hibs.

What it sounds like you are saying is we'd probably be better off points-wise with Levein still in charge and I don't disagree as I think with injured players back we would have started grinding out more wins and draws under him. We may even have signed Boyce with him still in charge as he tried before. He simply couldn't continue though. We needed fresh ideas and someone who could lift the fans and players and we seem to have got that man.

Moore and Henderson have not contributed more than Meshino! His goals against Rangers and Aberdeen show the quality the lad has. I think I would still rather have Berra in defence than Halkett & Souttar. The partnership just doesn’t appear to work. We needed a replacement for Berra, a new goalkeeper and replacement for Whelan during the January window. So far it seems Sibbick can offer more than Whelan but the defence is left beyond shambolic. Six goals conceded to St Johnstone and Kilmarnock, what are Celtic going to do to us?

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Moore and Henderson have not contributed more than Meshino! His goals against Rangers and Aberdeen show the quality the lad has. I think I would still rather have Berra in defence than Halkett & Souttar. The partnership just doesn’t appear to work. We needed a replacement for Berra, a new goalkeeper and replacement for Whelan during the January window. So far it seems Sibbick can offer more than Whelan but the defence is left beyond shambolic. Six goals conceded to St Johnstone and Kilmarnock, what are Celtic going to do to us?

In a team sense I think Henderson and Moore have been better than Meshino under Stendel. We're talking about players who have played under Stendel as that's the only way he can judge them. Whelan, Berra, Mulraney and Meshino all got chances. I think you are the only Hearts fans who wants Berra back. Have you forgotten how many goals he cost us? What makes you think he could play in this system?

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Fantasy island stuff. 

Meshino can score goals - the others you mention are nowhere near his ability to do so. 

"Berra as we all know was broken"....when did you have that revelatory moment ? 

"Uche is finally being used in his best position (IMO) - impact sub"....yeah , you and the rest of his fan club were shouting that from the rooftops months ago. Not. 

Edited by annushorribilis III

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Agree on the confidence of the squad and the effect of that.  Just think it is worrying that we've managed less wins under Stendel than Cathro, whom many would put down as one of the worst managers in our history. 

Why ? There's no comparison : Cathro was allowed to sign loads of players , DS cannot because there is no money. It's all been pissed away by Cathro & Levein. 

Odd comparison. Cathro inherited a decent squad who were flying compared to what DS inherited. He free wheeled to a few decent wins then when he tried to manage, crashed and burned. 

DS inherited a shitshow, had to get rid of players to get some in. Dunno if he’ll keep us up tbh but to compare you’ll need to take into account the circumstances. You cannot turn a bad squad good. The odd player, yes.

Edited by westbow
Typo

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

In a team sense I think Henderson and Moore have been better than Meshino under Stendel. We're talking about players who have played under Stendel as that's the only way he can judge them. Whelan, Berra, Mulraney and Meshino all got chances. I think you are the only Hearts fans who wants Berra back. Have you forgotten how many goals he cost us? What makes you think he could play in this system?

Halkett and Souttar clearly can’t play in the system either, or the goalkeeper, we’ve probably not got the full back for it or the centre mids. Berra at least offered experience and would win a header.

6 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

Why ? There's no comparison : Cathro was allowed to sign loads of players , DS cannot because there is no money. It's all been pissed away by Cathro & Levein. 

Clearly we had money available considering we signed Boyce, a lad that was once valued at €35m and attempted to buy Craig Gordon!

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, HighTimes said:

It's a bit staggering you think like that. 

If Hearts under CL had been 3 nil down at home to Killie after 50 minutes you'd( and many others) would have been going tonto, not saying the entertainment and willingness to attack is fabby. 

I like Stendel, I like his philosophy but results matter, that is all that matters. 

He has more key players fit than CL had all season, he's signed 4 players. 

We need results, if we get relegated to give Stendel a free pass is bamboozling. 

He needs to keep us up. 

He can then build his own team in the summer. 

I think we'll be ok, but the next few weeks will shape that. 

Individual errors have cost us 3 points on Saturday and on Wednesday. Those individual errors came from the same person, and sadly, one of the most important players on the park, the keeper. None of the goals have been a direct link to our style or our shape. If Joel starts tonight then it will be Stendel’s first mark against him from me. Windy, slippy park, lower league opposition. This is going to be long ball, punt up the park central from Falkirk. All of that scares the life out me with this keeper. He can’t be anywhere near the goals tonight. 

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Individual errors have cost us 3 points on Saturday and on Wednesday. Those individual errors came from the same person, and sadly, one of the most important players on the park, the keeper. None of the goals have been a direct link to our style or our shape. If Joel starts tonight then it will be Stendel’s first mark against him from me. Windy, slippy park, lower league opposition. This is going to be long ball, punt up the park central from Falkirk. All of that scares the life out me with this keeper. He can’t be anywhere near the goals tonight. 

1 goal on Wednesday and 2 goals on Saturday were directly linked to the high line we play. Daniel Stendel said as much about Wednesday’s game in his interview defending Joel. If he genuinely thinks Pereira and Moore are the best players in their positions, we are in real trouble.

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

1 goal on Wednesday and 2 goals on Saturday were directly linked to the high line we play. Daniel Stendel said as much about Wednesday’s game in his interview defending Joel. If he genuinely thinks Pereira and Moore are the best players in their positions, we are in real trouble.

Joel stays on his line, Burke doesn’t score on Wednesday. Joel stays on his line for the corner, Killie don’t score. Joel has hands instead of poppadoms, Killie don’t score. St Johnston equaliser, Joel’s hands become filo pastry. Joel keeps his legs shut, he saves the penalty (sorry no food pun). So for arguments sake, the opener against St Johnston is a goal linked to our style, potentially. I get what Stendels doing with his comments, he’s trying to protect Joel, admirable but badly judged. There is no protecting Joel now. 

I get what you are saying about our formation tho, I share those worries as well. We are caught to high up the park and too easily turned with a simple ball over the top. A decent keeper would help settle those fears for everyone tho. We need to drop about 10 yards. Smith sitting as DM would also help.  

I also agree about your concerns with Moore, Henderson over Walker, Washington, Meshino and Donis. I can kinda see why he hasn’t dropped them, building their confidence, built a bit of momentum etx. That should now change tho as we have to react to Wednesday. I would like to see a slight tweak to the shape to address areas of weakness. If Stendel does that then I’ll continue to back him. If we keep making the same mistakes and persisting with something that isn’t working then it’s just the same situation as Levein, all be it a more entertaining style to watch. 

My hope. Finish 10th. Get this nightmare season out the way. 

11 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hearts 4-0 Kilmarnock

Motherwell 0-3 Hearts 

Hearts 4-1 Rangers 

Yet you would never hear a word of criticism against Levein....interesting 

22 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

100% This.

Pereira has been consistently poor. In terms of the importance versus relegation its absolutely a chance to let Bobby stake his claim. 

John Gentleman
20 hours ago, j1964m said:

The hearts team of 76/77 season is to blame all started with them

....and in the season before, lost a SC final IIRC.

8 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Yet you would never hear a word of criticism against Levein....interesting 

I’ve criticised Levein myself. Some situations such as giving Doyle a contract extension or losing 5-0 to Livingston could not be defended. I was quite often pointing out that 6th and three trips to Hampden was actually not too bad a season. Something this nightmare is highlighting week on week.

Big Slim Stylee
21 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I think we need to start screening people that are users of this forums. There are some seriously disturbed posters on here that need help

It's seriously insane 😀I know a lot of normal people that inhabit this forum. But I'm delighted I've never met a chunk of the twats that steam on here at the slightest opportunity to spew some more illogical bile. It must be so difficult to live life being that perpetually.....angry!

On 06/02/2020 at 08:47, amadjambo said:

Not read the whole thread, but I personally love what Stendel is trying to do. 3-0 down last night and I never thought we were out of the game.

As much as the result was disappointing this is something worth noting, the players were still fighting til the very end of the game. A few months earlier they'd have folded at 3 down

18 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Joel stays on his line, Burke doesn’t score on Wednesday. Joel stays on his line for the corner, Killie don’t score. Joel has hands instead of poppadoms, Killie don’t score. St Johnston equaliser, Joel’s hands become filo pastry. Joel keeps his legs shut, he saves the penalty (sorry no food pun). So for arguments sake, the opener against St Johnston is a goal linked to our style, potentially. I get what Stendels doing with his comments, he’s trying to protect Joel, admirable but badly judged. There is no protecting Joel now. 

I get what you are saying about our formation tho, I share those worries as well. We are caught to high up the park and too easily turned with a simple ball over the top. A decent keeper would help settle those fears for everyone tho. We need to drop about 10 yards. Smith sitting as DM would also help.  

I also agree about your concerns with Moore, Henderson over Walker, Washington, Meshino and Donis. I can kinda see why he hasn’t dropped them, building their confidence, built a bit of momentum etx. That should now change tho as we have to react to Wednesday. I would like to see a slight tweak to the shape to address areas of weakness. If Stendel does that then I’ll continue to back him. If we keep making the same mistakes and persisting with something that isn’t working then it’s just the same situation as Levein, all be it a more entertaining style to watch. 

My hope. Finish 10th. Get this nightmare season out the way. 

36 year old Chris Burke was only rampaging towards goal because of the high line though? Joel culpable for not making the save, Stendel culpable for tactics that create so many chances. If we go to Parkhead with the same tactics the scoreline could be into double figures!

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’ve criticised Levein myself. Some situations such as giving Doyle a contract extension or losing 5-0 to Livingston could not be defended. I was quite often pointing out that 6th and three trips to Hampden was actually not too bad a season. Something this nightmare is highlighting week on week.

So the worst fault/mistake  is an extension  to our 3rd choice goalkeepers contract?  really? best you can think of?

This nightmare is CL,s legacy in case you  have forgotten

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

So the worst fault/mistake  is an extension  to our 3rd choice goalkeepers contract?  really? best you can think of?

This nightmare is CL,s legacy in case you  have forgotten

I’ve not forgotten, as I totally disagree with that statement!

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

I’ve not forgotten, as I totally disagree with that statement!

Of course you do

21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

36 year old Chris Burke was only rampaging towards goal because of the high line though? Joel culpable for not making the save, Stendel culpable for tactics that create so many chances. If we go to Parkhead with the same tactics the scoreline could be into double figures!

Killie created chances and beat us on their last two visit. We played 5 at the back, defensive containing football. Somewhere in between would be ideal haha. Although, am not going to lie, I am enjoying watching the balls to the walls 6 up front stuff. Probably won’t enjoy it when we are relegated but I am enjoying it the now 😂