We have another Cathro

Walter Kidd

alicante jambo

Will need a lot more time to sort out the shite he was left with. Need a new goalie quick easy to see this guy is not any good. Good thing is we are scoring goals just need to stop them against us.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Hearts1975

• GinRummy

• jake

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Yes BUT he was not really there in either was he?? 

Bundesliga 2 (TWO) - sacked before they were promoted because  .... simply he was a failure and if he’d stayed they would not have gone up!

EPL 1st (FIRST) division won promotion and was then sacked in October for being a total failure in the Championship

And simply that is is his total managerial record! It’s not an outstanding CV on; either demonstrable achievements or length of tenure (job retention) in a managerial role!

Go and check your facts!

High press will give the opponents chances no doubt. Despite all the hot air how many goals in the last 7 conceded were as a result of the high press? Individual errors, poor set piece defending and bad decision making, not the high press. Could the high press have cost us goals? Sure, did it? nope. (Rangers one could be argued for the case)

This guy isn't Cathro. Stop the individual errors, get a couple of key players back, keep working on the shape/press/defending.

This is no time to turn on a guy who at the very least is making games watchable FFS.

In Stendel I trust. Caveat being we need to players to subscribe and work for it.

11 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Yes BUT he was not really there in either was he?? 

Bundesliga 2 (TWO) - sacked before they were promoted because  .... simply he was a failure and if he’d stayed they would not have gone up!

EPL 1st (FIRST) division won promotion and was then sacked in October for being a total failure in the Championship

And simply that is is his total managerial record! It’s not an outstanding CV on; either demonstrable achievements or length of tenure (job retention) in a managerial role!

Also what the hell is ‘EPL 1st (FIRST)’ meant to mean?

10 hours ago, Uilleam said:

The St johnstone and kilmarnock games we needed to change tactics. Stendal still has to learn to change tactics at games when he was at Barnsley they did lose a lot of goals due to poor defending. unfortunately with his style of play hearts will lose a lot of goals. Other teams with defend and on breakaway will score with poor defence and a poor goalkeeper.

Thing is, implemented with a bit more rigidity, Stendels tactics would be effective.

Most sides in the SPL couldn’t cope with being pressed hard and fast because they’ve not got the quality to cope, but at the moment they are bypassing that with a simple punt over the top of us.  It shouldn’t be happening.  

12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Also what the hell is ‘EPL 1st (FIRST)’ meant to mean?

*EFL (typo) no need to be angry about a little mistake

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Thing is, implemented with a bit more rigidity, Stendels tactics would be effective.

Most sides in the SPL couldn’t cope with being pressed hard and fast because they’ve not got the quality to cope, but at the moment they are bypassing that with a simple punt over the top of us.  It shouldn’t be happening.  

I’m not sure about most teams not being able to cope. At Tynecastle all they need to do it’s what Killie did on Wednesday - sit back in their box and wait for the break out chances. Our pitch isn’t big enough for space to be created when teams are sitting back. All you get is a crowded area that Lionel Messi would find it hard to navigate through. Wednesday!s game was exactly the same as many that have gone before on numerous occasions over the past two seasons. To that extent Daniel has brought no new ideas to the table.

10 hours ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

Don't understand why the OP has been taken to task DS record is awful, and some of his team selections baffling ( Moore and Henderson, can't see what they bring to the table) . Joel P needs binned......sacked after Barnsley won one in 10......ominous imho. 

How many games did he win the Season before he was sacked ?

you do realise that he didn’t directly recruit players and the owner took to selling 4 of his key players without his say so and 

just when they were promoted 

In fact Go on the tykes website for a view which I’m sure I’d he was a dud you would hear the Barnsley fans calling him out. I mean one win in ten and all that 

You see if you can Find me one fan who didn’t rate him👍

3 hours ago, Redhelen said:

At Hanover he won as many as they lost drew so hardly tragic as a first spell in management.  Second spell promotion. Yes his championship spell for Barnsley was poor but there were extenuating circumstances like having to start with a whole new defence and having your joint top goal scorer sold 3 days before the window closed. His Hearts career has only just begun.

You will find on here that there are still some folk who desperately want Stendel to fail (a small minority) because the man they thought was the messiah and preceded Stendel failed abysmally. 

So much so that our club is now in a hell of a predicament 

Rather than back the man appointed to sort out the mess Levein left in his wake they would rather run around on this forum posting negatives And wanting Stendel to fail given that their man failed abysmally Just so they can be proved right 

Sorry, but that’s just the way it is. Your wasting your time RH

I would have thought these same folk might have listened to you and a few other Barnsley fans as I am sure if the guy was a dud someone would have said so 

19 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

This is without doubt and hands down, one of the worst threads I've ever had the misfortune to read

An absolute car crash

Car crash of a thread indeed

Almost the whole board hailed Stendel as the real deal after the rangers game

fast forward 2 games and the knives are out 

Christ, it took 3 years of Levein and he still had his backers at the very end 

2 months in Anti-Stendel threads starting already

it beggars belief. We have some lunatics in our support. That’s for sure. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Absolute horrendous thread.

Ex member of the SaS

Said on another thread, I thought the whole idea of high press was the strikers and mid tackled the opposition in their half, thus stopping them from getting in behind. Yet to see this game plan in action as the players don't want to put in any sort of tackle these days. The run off the ball instead of getting a foot in.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Absolute horrendous thread.

It’s a f...... joke mate. F...... criminal 

It feels like (just steeling myself) that some would like Stendel to fail so I’m their own little shitey world they can walk around and say that they were right 

Some of the same ones that supported Levein right until the bitter end and still do to this day.

You tell me - Do they want us to fail ? Really - I’m open to an alternative explanation but god knows, for the life of me, I don’t know what that is 

feckin imposters the lot of them. It’s taking the absolute piss 

10 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Said on another thread, I thought the whole idea of high press was the strikers and mid tackled the opposition in their half, thus stopping them from getting in behind. Yet to see this game plan in action as the players don't want to put in any sort of tackle these days. The run off the ball instead of getting a foot in.

That's the idea though, to close down and limit passing options and if it isn't won back then at least it'll either get hoofed or passed back to their keeper

4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

It feels like (just steeling myself) that some would like Stendel to fail so I’m their own little shitey world they can walk around and say that they were right 

Some of the same ones that supported Levein right until the bitter end and still do to this day.

You tell me - Do they want us to fail ? Really - I’m open to an alternative explanation but god knows, for the life of me, I don’t know what that is 

People are entitled to their opinion but the Cathro chat is absolutely chronic. Anybody who actually believes things weren’t going to go further south under levein is clearly wrong but if that’s what they think then by this point there’s not much point debating with them.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

People are entitled to their opinion but the Cathro chat is absolutely chronic. Anybody who actually believes things weren’t going to go further south under levein is clearly wrong but if that’s what they think then by this point there’s not much point debating with them.

Mate I get that, and I get that everyone is entitled to an opinion 

Answer me one thing 

How can some folk support someone for 3 whole years with year on year regression and defend them at all costs then jump on Stendel who has been in 2 months and say that they doubt him ?

thats where I think it stinks of something else 

Wasn’t having a go at folk having an opinion. I just find the above absolutely ludicrous 

11 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

The danger is that the Stendel fans adopt the same attitude as the Levein fans - their man can do no wrong. I’m not in either camp. Above all, I’m a Hearts fan. Looking at things objectively, we have a squad that’s as good as anyone else on the bottom six. Therefore, at the very least we should be winning games at home against other bottom six sides. If that’s not happening the manager’s at fault - no excuses. Any other approach and we risk repeating the same mistakes we’ve made for the last three seasons.

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

Answer me one thing 

How can some folk support someone for 3 whole years with year on year regression and defend them at all costs then jump on Stendel who has been in 2 months and say that they doubt him ?

Wasn’t having a go at folk having an opinion. I just find the above absolutely ludicrous 

I don’t get it either. There were people on here, not many but a few, who thought we’d be better sticking with McPhee till January because we don’t have the players to play DS system, there were also folk who thought we should get an SPL experienced manager to fight our way out of our position and go for a Stendel type appointment in the summer.

These aren’t my opinions but if you were of that mindset then it’s probably unlikely anything that’s happened since has changed your mind. For clarity, I wanted DS, still do and believe he’ll keep us up one way or another and kick on next season. If he doesn’t keep us up it was the wrong appointment and regardless of blame, he’d have failed and his detractors would have been correct. 

1 minute ago, S Form said:

The danger is that the Stendel fans adopt the same attitude as the Levein fans - their man can do no wrong. I’m not in either camp. Above all, I’m a Hearts fan. Looking at things objectively, we have a squad that’s as good as anyone else on the bottom six. Therefore, at the very least we should be winning games at home against other bottom six sides. If that’s not happening the manager’s at fault - no excuses. Any other approach and we risk repeating the same mistakes we’ve made for the last three seasons.

Hear you re the Hearts fan piece. Above all that’s what matters - fully agree

However I don’t think supporting the new manager after 2 months in charge merits the same circumstances as blindly following Levein for 3 years but that’s by the by

My point is that it’s far to early for making these type of judgements. We need to back the club now. Stendel isn’t going anywhere at any point soon.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t get it either. There were people on here, not many but a few, who thought we’d be better sticking with McPhee till January because we don’t have the players to play DS system, there were also folk who thought we should get an SPL experienced manager to fight our way out of our position and go for a Stendel type appointment in the summer.

These aren’t my opinions but if you were of that mindset then it’s probably unlikely anything that’s happened since has changed your mind. For clarity, I wanted DS, still do and believe he’ll keep us up one way or another and kick on next season. If he doesn’t keep us up it was the wrong appointment and regardless of blame, he’d have failed and his detractors would have been correct. 

Fair comment.

10 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Answer me one thing 

Can you show your working for Levein being Hearts manager for ‘3 whole years’ ? Only at the very end under Levein were we in any danger of a relegation battle. Stendel doesn’t have the same luxury of time. We need to start winning right now.

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s fair points. Just for clarity I Wasn’t having a go at folk who didn’t want Stendel in the first place. (Excluding the leblieners)

They are quite within their rights to criticise or put forward their doubts 

Edited by Hearts1975

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Can you show your working for Levein being Hearts manager for ‘3 whole years’ ? Only at the very end under Levein were we in any danger of a relegation battle. Stendel doesn’t have the same luxury of time. We need to start winning right now.

Thought you would pop up at some point 

You must have been reading my mind 

That’s fair points. Just for clarity I Wasn’t having a go at folk who didn’t want Stendel in the first place. They are quite within their rights to criticise or put forward their doubts 

Get off the bottom and stay off it for a few weeks and they’ll disappear. Fewer of these debates would be happening if Pereira hadn’t screwed up big time in our last two games. 

10 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

its not another Cathro, 

He's definitely not, and I think we'll come good (and it's massively an improvement already over Levein) but it does worry me that he apparently can't see just how poor Periera is.

Just now, HighTimes said:

He's definitely not, and I think we'll come good (and it's massively an improvement already over Levein) but it does worry me that he apparently can't see just how poor Periera is.

He’s bound to see how bad he is and just not saying it publicly. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Get off the bottom and stay off it for a few weeks and they’ll disappear. Fewer of these debates would be happening if Pereira hadn’t screwed up big time in our last two games. 

He’s a bombscare at the moment 

Someone said on another thread that he lost us 3 goals out the last 6 and they aren’t wrong

not the form we need our keeper to be in right now. Need to replace him ASAP 

Edited by Hearts1975

1 hour ago, S Form said:

I’m not sure about most teams not being able to cope. At Tynecastle all they need to do it’s what Killie did on Wednesday - sit back in their box and wait for the break out chances. Our pitch isn’t big enough for space to be created when teams are sitting back. All you get is a crowded area that Lionel Messi would find it hard to navigate through. Wednesday!s game was exactly the same as many that have gone before on numerous occasions over the past two seasons. To that extent Daniel has brought no new ideas to the table.

Part my point.  We should be cuter and draw teams out.  

However, the problem comes in the shape of when we try to make the move to get behind the opposition. We aren’t getting behind full backs nearly enough.  

When we turn back in possession just to retain the ball, the opposition are back in shape defensively.  Play breaks down and the lump over the top comes. 

We need to be smarter and drop off a little if nothing is on going forward. 

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

You will find on here that there are still some folk who desperately want Stendel to fail (a small minority) because the man they thought was the messiah and preceded Stendel failed abysmally. 

So much so that our club is now in a hell of a predicament 

Rather than back the man appointed to sort out the mess Levein left in his wake they would rather run around on this forum posting negatives And wanting Stendel to fail given that their man failed abysmally Just so they can be proved right 

Sorry, but that’s just the way it is. Your wasting your time RH

I would have thought these same folk might have listened to you and a few other Barnsley fans as I am sure if the guy was a dud someone would have said so 

Everyone has their own opinion and I admit to knowing nothing about Scottish football. I think we at Barnsley are maybe more used to having " unknown " managers and actually our two Daniels who maybe achieved the most record wise were new to management in the UK. I am sure there will be those amongst the Barnsley fanbase who if he fails with you would say our owners were right to get rid of him but hindsight us a wonderful thing. We were riding the crest of a wave at the start of the season and it will always be a low point in our history that he wasn' t backed, if not to the hilt with at least a bit of experience.  

1 minute ago, Redhelen said:

Everyone has their own opinion and I admit to knowing nothing about Scottish football. I think we at Barnsley are maybe more used to having " unknown " managers and actually our two Daniels who maybe achieved the most record wise were new to management in the UK. I am sure there will be those amongst the Barnsley fanbase who if he fails with you would say our owners were right to get rid of him but hindsight us a wonderful thing. We were riding the crest of a wave at the start of the season and it will always be a low point in our history that he wasn' t backed, if not to the hilt with at least a bit of experience.  

Facts are that he got you promoted in his first season at the club and with all due respect to you Barnsley weren’t exactly favourites to get promotion out of the 1st division 

I understand what happened at the start of the championship season but regardless of inexperience you don’t just turn up at League 1 in England and take an underdog up to the EPL (I don’t mean that disrespectfully) in your first season in charge of you don’t have something about you 

Facts are that he got you promoted in his first season at the club and with all due respect to you Barnsley weren’t exactly favourites to get promotion out of the 1st division 

I understand what happened at the start of the championship season but regardless of inexperience you don’t just turn up at League 1 in England and take an underdog up to the EPL (I don’t mean that disrespectfully) in your first season in charge of you don’t have something about you 

I also think there is an element of horses for courses with managers.  It seems to me that maybe Jack Ross is doing better with Hibs than he did at Sunderland? Danny Wilson didnt really achieve much after getting us to the Premiership.  However I do think Daniel Stendel will.repeat what he did for us elsewhere,  hopefully with you. I must admit I was a bit surprised the way he got laid into from the off over things like his appearance. I did enjoy watching the Rangers game, no fear, Daniel at his best 

5 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

I also think there is an element of horses for courses with managers.  It seems to me that maybe Jack Ross is doing better with Hibs than he did at Sunderland? Danny Wilson didnt really achieve much after getting us to the Premiership.  However I do think Daniel Stendel will.repeat what he did for us elsewhere,  hopefully with you. I must admit I was a bit surprised the way he got laid into from the off over things like his appearance. I did enjoy watching the Rangers game, no fear, Daniel at his best 

Yup. Don’t think it’s Stendels inadequacies which are costing us at the moment. He is trying to fully implement his style but individual mistakes are costing us. It’s more the teams that sit in that are causing us issues. They defend behind the ball and when we lose the ball - bang 1 2 3 pass and it’s in the net 

Rangers came out and that’s why we took them apart. We just pressed and countered them constantly

Still games to go and still believe Stendel will get it right for us. The players just need to get used to what he wants them to do 

hopefully sooner rather than later - we are running out of games and have some 6 pointers on the horizon 

4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Yup. Don’t think it’s Stendels inadequacies which are costing us at the moment. He is trying to fully implement his style but individual mistakes are costing us. It’s more the teams that sit in that are causing us issues. They defend behind the ball and when we lose the ball - bang 1 2 3 pass and it’s in the net 

Rangers came out and that’s why we took them apart. We just pressed and countered them constantly

Still games to go and still believe Stendel will get it right for us. The players just need to get used to what he wants them to do 

hopefully sooner rather than later - we are running out of games and have some 6 pointers on the horizon 

The problem is that everyone, bar celtic and rangers, will be sitting in against us at Tynie - and most do it even at their own place. We should still have enough to deal with those teams though.

And i get that individual mistakes are costing us, but it costs every other team. Without them we would not have scored at all on Wednesday, for instance, and our first against rangers came from one of their players losing possession in a dangerous area.

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The problem is that everyone, bar celtic and rangers, will be sitting in against us at Tynie - and most do it even at their own place. We should still have enough to deal with those teams though.

And i get that individual mistakes are costing us, but it costs every other team. Without them we would not have scored at all on Wednesday, for instance, and our first against rangers came from one of their players losing possession in a dangerous area.

I get that. The teams around us at the moment are more settled in that they are playing the same way as they have for a good bit of time whilst we are taking to the field against them trying to learn a new system 

They make mistakes we score goals. We make mistakes they score goals.

Just probably for different reasons 

Guess that’s the point I was trying to make 

59 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

Massive improvement? Staggering!

I think as I said on another thread, it just goes to show how one bad result can have such a big impact.  Up until Wednesday afternoon, the feel good factor had returned and we were on the up again.

Of his record, I think overall he did well at both Barnsley and  Hannover. Getting Barnsley promoted from League One is a good achievement, it's a tough league and there were two much bigger clubs in Portsmouth and Sunderland, who he bested over last season. At Hannover his win rate was respectable and they were on course to achieve promotion when he was removed, Hannover had 5 different head coaches in 2019 so I think we can conclude that they may not be all that stable a club from that information.

Ultimately it's a results based business, and I think it would be a significant and terminal failure to not stay up as a bear minimum given the caliber of the playing squad. I think that we need to be a bit more pragmatic and flexible at times and hopefully DS realises this and we can start winning football matches on a regular basis again.

28 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Massive improvement? Staggering!

Depends what he's judging it on. If it's based on results then obviously not but if it's based on entertainment and attacking football then i would say he's correct.

I know you were a big fan of Levein and as a result you've been a lot more critical of Stendel. However for me the football and results with Levein were eye-bleeding and it just seemed like we would keep regressing whereas i think given time we could look a much better prospect under stendel, even if that means we get relegated first.

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

I think we need to start screening people that are users of this forums. There are some seriously disturbed posters on here that need help

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

:spoton:

6 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Depends what he's judging it on. If it's based on results then obviously not but if it's based on entertainment and attacking football then i would say he's correct.

I know you were a big fan of Levein and as a result you've been a lot more critical of Stendel. However for me the football and results with Levein were eye-bleeding and it just seemed like we would keep regressing whereas i think given time we could look a much better prospect under stendel, even if that means we get relegated first.

I was warming to Stendel after the run of draws and two wins. Wednesday sucked the enthusiasm right out of me. I think both the tactics and player selection are questionable. We are leaving ourselves massively open at the back and selecting players like Henderson and Moore over Washington, Walker and Meshino is madness.  Walker and Meshino have that moment of magic in them that wins games. I won’t even start on Joel. He signed two players in the window who didn’t even make the squad on Wednesday. Boyce feels more of a MacPhee or Levein signing than Stendel.

Do you honestly think Stendel would survive relegation? He’ll have had 22 games with the 4th biggest budget in the league. He also currently has a fit Steven Naismith. 

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Clue:

When did Daniel Stendel take over at Hannover96?

I think you are being too harsh on him, he was appointed for a handful of games when they were already effectively relegated so I don’t think you can blame him for that relegation and black mark his cv for that. Nor can anyone claim it as ‘real experience’! Anyway he was out the door 11 months later ... that was his first managerial role ended.

16 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I think you are being too harsh on him, he was appointed for a handful of games when they were already effectively relegated so I don’t think you can blame him for that relegation and black mark his cv for that. Nor can anyone claim it as ‘real experience’! Anyway he was out the door 11 months later ... that was his first managerial role ended.

How is it not real experience?

This football manager malarkey is so easy. The number of out of work expert managers on this thread alone beggars belief.

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

Agree, poor passes and players not moving off the ball are a big part of why this system is not working as it should. Get stuck into their defenders when the have the ball and move to space when we have it. Maybe one other thing is, we try to walk the ball into the net, Clare and Halkett showed what you can do it you just have a pop.

The big thing for me was Naismith playing far too deep and Boyle was also having to come back to get the ball. Said in another thread Irvine was a big part in that as he delayed too long, allowing them to steal the ball or he thumped it into the first defender. The strikers need decent passes to do their job so why are we not practicing crosses etc? Too often we get down the wing only for the ball to be hoofed right over the box and out for a throw. Surely a professional player knows how hard to kick a ball.