Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why didn't the SG just suspend the drink licence and allow the restaurant to trade and the pub to temporarily change trade to cafe or restaurant. Strange shutting altogether because you can sell bevvy. 

Seems fair.

Non alcohol lager today, that'll be £4.70.

Dash of coke, £3.35.

I need to put prices up to compensate loss ofc, nod, nod, wink, wink.

(Jesting)

Edited by DETTY29

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like how the same folk who were screaming for everyone to get back to the office instead of work from home (cos obv people who 'work from home' aren't actually working and are causing the death of local businesses like pret a manger) are now saying uni students should be learning at home so that pubs can stay open :pray:

21 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I like how the same folk who were screaming for everyone to get back to the office instead of work from home (cos obv people who 'work from home' aren't actually working and are causing the death of local businesses like pret a manger) are now saying uni students should be learning at home so that pubs can stay open :pray:

It was reckoned wfh, well at least pre Covid, it was the opposite.

Employees needed to prove that weren't skiving.  Also, work laptops are signed and work being done what would have been travel time too.

Personally, yes you would do the odd wee task around house, but ultimately laptop was rarely logged off. 

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Why didn't the SG just suspend the drink licence and allow the restaurant to trade and the pub to temporarily change trade to cafe or restaurant. Strange shutting altogether because you can sell bevvy. 

Her justification for this is that it has nothing to do with the alcohol, is just a way to shut a mass number of venues that people gather at.

In my opinion they are making it up as they go along !!

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

To be fair, the main issue is with the Halls of Residences which are completely unviable during this pandemic due to the unavoidable super-spreader problems with shared facilities and mass gatherings.

Edited by frankblack

1 hour ago, steve123 said:

Her justification for this is that it has nothing to do with the alcohol, is just a way to shut a mass number of venues that people gather at.

In my opinion they are making it up as they go along !!

They need to, as no one has a clue how to control it. 

Shield the vulnerable, then fecks the fit, they will get crucified. No win situation. 

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

They need to, as no one has a clue how to control it. 

Shield the vulnerable, then fecks the fit, they will get crucified. No win situation. 

Surely the biggest mass gathering venues open are schools and universities? 🤔

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

Our town, Jimbo is pretty wee (around 30 thousand).  Very, very low Covid rate.  Nice (30 minutes away) is/was/is again very high.

Seems to be working here, despite a ridiculously high amount of tourists in July and August.  We are quite (well sort of) happy to be mask wearers.  To be honest, we walk and run in areas well away from the coast and the town, so encounter virtually no people.

Pretty wee at 30,000 :laugh:, that's massive compared to here, Galashiels the biggest town in the whole of the Scottish Borders is less than half of your town, Innerleithen has 10 times smaller population at barely 3000 compared to your town.

But this is also kinda my point that I've been trying to make all along, the Scottish Borders has a very low infection rate, less than 600 confirmed infections in the last 7 months, of course there will be more than this who have not been tested, however 600 cases out of a population of over 115,000 and that's without masks being worn for most of the last 7 months, meaning going forwards if masks were compulsory here in all settings, which I can see happening, I'm not sure they would be of any real great benefit, simply because of the lack of density of people in the first place.

Cities with a much higher and closely packed population is a different story entirely and I get that, but rules which are designed for a city doesn't necessarily have the same or even any effect on rural areas, simply because they are two different settings, in fact two different worlds.

Francis Albert
12 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I wonder how much the Liverpool title celebrations aided spread in city 

About as much as BLM, Extinction Rebellion and defending statues demos did in London which has among the lowest rates in the country?

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

As I said. Don't open schools, they're killing the kids education and social wellbeing. Open the schools, they're mass spreaders, get them shut. 

I'll go with pubs etc... being shut

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

As I said. Don't open schools, they're killing the kids education and social wellbeing. Open the schools, they're mass spreaders, get them shut. 

😀 We'll you've called it wrong from day 1 so you might as well continue in that mode.

5 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Hopefully this will be the end of some people not taking this virus seriously 

Are you counting yourself as you are trolling this thread? 🤔

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Are you counting yourself as you are trolling this thread? 🤔

Don’t make false accusations mate

i am simply spreading the important messages and the ones who are being irresponsible are those who continue to not take it seriously or say the rules in place are not to be followed.

15 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I was out with my boy today in a shop, he got something to eat as I nipped to toilet. I come back to some arsehole having a little bit of pop at my son for not wearing his mask. He was eating a hot dog at the time. 

I’m walking back as said arsehole begins to castigate the boy, after he tells them he’s eating. I get back before said arsehole gets too carried away and quickly read them their horoscope.

Arsehole trots of staff who promptly tells them to **** off. For clarity I was not in Hamilton and my boy is 11. 

I’m Shocked reading that actually . What a creep confronting your lad like that . It  Must have been upsetting for him . 

3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Umm no need in name calling mate- just makes you look like a twit

So does getting posts removed that don't suit your agenda.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

School kids aren't super spreaders. Young adults/students are though. Usually due to social reasons.

Edited by westbow
typo

31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nobody said Kids are mass spreaders.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

To be fair, the main issue is with the Halls of Residences which are completely unviable during this pandemic due to the unavoidable super-spreader problems with shared facilities and mass gatherings.

It’s irreverent now regarding students and halls of residences as most have had the covid more than likely so not an issue now . Let’ them go out and live their student life 

The Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden was on Sky News this morning and he was saying that these latest restrictions are in part based upon data from the USA, re the infections via the hospitality sector.

Kay Burley pointed out that out of something like 780 odd infections/outbreaks only 33 could be linked to hospitality, the rest were in care homes & education, so where is the evidence that hospitality needs shut down.

No matter how much he was pressed he was either unable or unwilling to say what the evidence was.

Now, I would like to know the context of this data from America, because if there were a lot of data from say red states with covid deniers, no social distancing, non face masks etc etc, then the data is going to be skewed, isn't it?   In my mind it would be, because you would include data from non rule compliance areas, that's going to make things look worse than they actually are.  We probably won't find out the truth.

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

So does getting posts removed that don't suit your agenda.

Posts that are spreading misinformation are rightly removed 

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Posts that are spreading misinformation are rightly removed 

Mine's weren't, and you damn well know that.

4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Yeah education has quite rightly been given a priority over getting pissed in a pub. To keep education open, something had to give elsewhere.

Universities, in Scotland anyway, are already predominantly doing their teaching online. There are no packed lecture halls. Courses where being fully online isn't feasible, and "hands on" learning is required, still have some classes take place in labs/workshops in reduced numbers or have been moved into larger spaces to allow distancing. Students have to sign themselves in and out of campus. Masks must be worn in all communal areas/corridors. 

Edited by Ray Gin

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden was on Sky News this morning and he was saying that these latest restrictions are in part based upon data from the USA, re the infections via the hospitality sector.

Kay Burley pointed out that out of something like 780 odd infections/outbreaks only 33 could be linked to hospitality, the rest were in care homes & education, so where is the evidence that hospitality needs shut down.

No matter how much he was pressed he was either unable or unwilling to say what the evidence was.

Now, I would like to know the context of this data from America, because if there were a lot of data from say red states with covid deniers, no social distancing, non face masks etc etc, then the data is going to be skewed, isn't it?   In my mind it would be, because you would include data from non rule compliance areas, that's going to make things look worse than they actually are.  We probably won't find out the truth.

There's zero relevance of US data in the UK. 

It could be argued that it may be indicative but its irrelevant as the social behaviours of septics is very different to how we live our lives here.

Just now, Barack said:

Governor's like DeSantis in Florida & Abbott in Texas, are actively suppressing figures on a State & local level. And as Florida accounts for a large proportion of cases, diagnosed or otherwise, then as you say...it's nigh on impossible to get an accurate figure on cases there.

Which makes it even more crazy to use data from America to influence policy in the UK.

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

There's zero relevance of US data in the UK. 

It could be argued that it may be indicative but its irrelevant as the social behaviours of septics is very different to how we live our lives here.

You know that, I know that, but a Cabinet Minister confirmed on Sky News this morning that the government are in part using data from America to make policy decisions in the UK, re the hospitality sector.

15 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I was out with my boy today in a shop, he got something to eat as I nipped to toilet. I come back to some arsehole having a little bit of pop at my son for not wearing his mask. He was eating a hot dog at the time. 

I’m walking back as said arsehole begins to castigate the boy, after he tells them he’s eating. I get back before said arsehole gets too carried away and quickly read them their horoscope.

Arsehole trots of staff who promptly tells them to **** off. For clarity I was not in Hamilton and my boy is 11. 

Your boy sounds switched on to the morons in life. The morally superior are out in force at times like these. Impressed with your restraint at not losing your shit. 

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:sadrobbo:

It wouldn't be the first time that 'Liverpool' and 'not working' have been used in the same scentence tbf.

That was Labour. 

12 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Luckily my boy is a switched on kid so understands just an arsehole and best ignored. However, he wasn’t very happy and definitely taken a back by the incident. 

There have been a couple of mentions of it today from him. So clearly still playing on his mind a little, 

Yes probably will be on his mind for a time but I’m sure you’ll be there to support him .👍👍

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-54504785

China testing 9 million people in 5 days.

UK closing pubs at 10.

No wonder we're failing miserably at tackling this. We keep hearing about how masks are common in Asia and we should therefore use them... we'd be better focusing on more fundamental things they do like mass testing and backwards tracing.

Still, follow the advice and don't question the science...

Seymour M Hersh
25 minutes ago, Barack said:

Certainly that administration, yes.

Is it coming from the administration or Universities or indeed individual States? 

35 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Mine's weren't, and you damn well know that.

They were mate and I’m not the only one who thought so 

Edited by Jambo 4 Ever

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Not looking good in England according to Prof Van-Tam

Did he mention the increased survival rate/reduced death rate? Or the better treatments available? Or how they intend to ensure how cancer patients will not be put to the back of the queue and miss out on life saving treatment?  Did he cover the "k" number at all and the fact the virus appears more in super clusters in certain settings?  No, thought not.

Just now, Barack said:

There was about a 2 minute clip also, about keeping non-covid related operations running. 

Screenshot_20201012-125250_Chrome.jpg

Cheers Barack

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Did he mention the increased survival rate/reduced death rate? Or the better treatments available? Or how they intend to ensure how cancer patients will not be put to the back of the queue and miss out on life saving treatment?  Did he cover the "k" number at all and the fact the virus appears more in super clusters in certain settings?  No, thought not.

Of course he didn't. Far too busy putting fear and panic by using worse case scenarios to be bothered with any positive news. Pretty sure article in news over weekend from Italian doctor who was saying while cases received, treatments were so much improved that the panic and fear spreading shold stop as it was not doing anyone any good.

We now have scientists falling over themselves to put their theories out into open, most of which have no real data to back them up other than computer modelling, which as everyone knows, will get whatever outcome the inputter wants. As long as it keeps money rolling into their research establishments, they won't be in any hurry to switch off the money tap. No wonder they don't like Chonese or Russian vaccine, that would mean an end to their funding and that just wouldn't do.

Now using US data to justify decisions as own data doesn't justify it on stand alone basis. What a joke.

16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Luckily my boy is a switched on kid so understands just an arsehole and best ignored. However, he wasn’t very happy and definitely taken a back by the incident. 

There have been a couple of mentions of it today from him. So clearly still playing on his mind a little, 

My youngest is 10 and if some random had acted like that it would certainly have troubled her.  I think my wife would have went into fierce protective mode before I could have a word though :vangry:

Trouble is  the sociopaths out there don't really care how others feel and rationalize their behavior as being helpful. I reckon you set him right so he won't bother anyone else :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

They were mate and I’m not the only one who thought so 

Really, and what posts were those because I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else, as far as I know I've never had any posts removed until the other day.

The posts I'm on about is the posts which were removed from the face mask thread, you know the ones which I posted about where you had gotten a photo from and how old it was.  How you can class that as misinformation I fail to understand, as the post was factual and true.

By the way, I'm not your fecking mate, never have been and never want to be either.

38 minutes ago, Taffin said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-54504785

China testing 9 million people in 5 days.

UK closing pubs at 10.

No wonder we're failing miserably at tackling this. We keep hearing about how masks are common in Asia and we should therefore use them... we'd be better focusing on more fundamental things they do like mass testing and backwards tracing.

Still, follow the advice and don't question the science...

It just goes to show there is more than one "science". It has been a political game from day one. Libertarians go for the selfish "You can't tell me what do" approach and pick what science suits their agenda, whilst and the left will take their cue from that and do the opposite, again selecting their science. Neither has the answer anyway as it is a novel virus and pretty unpredictable. A bit of ambivalence is the key.

Malinga the Swinga
32 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Put yourself forward to be one have you sonny?  I'd have thought that job would be right up your back alley. 

An army of council snoopers. Are the council now saying that we taxpayers are paying for a bunch load of folk to wander round houses and check if people are in or not? That job will lead to trouble as normal residents take offence at being asked questions that they shouldn't have to answer. To think, while we laughed at Chinese government for the way they treated citizens, Nicola and Boris must have longed for these powers and now they have grabbed chance to interfere even more into everyday life.

Malinga the Swinga
12 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

They didn’t show any projections or predictions, it was look what has happened and is happening. I thought the data was presented very well and they didn’t get into any political decisions making for what measures work or don’t work. It wasn’t designed to scare, at the weekend there was loads of media asking for the science to back up the need for extra restrictions so they came out and showed it. 

I get some will not like it but they clearly demonstrated the virus is rising and it is rising in older age groups and this is spreading everywhere. 

I missed the woman from NHS in Manchester, I think she was talking about treatments, maybe not. 

Of course it was designed to scare. If they don't have the data from this country, they bring it in from elsewhere, as long as it justifies their actions. 

Their science is guesswork, nothing more, nothing less. As long as they are bringing the grants in and they are bringing in their cash, then job done.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic