Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

I watched the BBC Politics programme on BBC 2 while having my lunch after 12pm, to avoid the drone on BBC1.

The Labour MP Jess Philips said that figures given by Chris Whitty at a meeting said that hospitality was 25% of the cause of infections, yet she presented data from Birmingham UK that showed 2%.  When she pressed she found out the 25% came from a study in the USA.

This is the level of misinformation we are getting from government due to Matty Hancocks failed track and trace system.

Edited by frankblack

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
36 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

An army of council snoopers. Are the council now saying that we taxpayers are paying for a bunch load of folk to wander round houses and check if people are in or not? That job will lead to trouble as normal residents take offence at being asked questions that they shouldn't have to answer. To think, while we laughed at Chinese government for the way they treated citizens, Nicola and Boris must have longed for these powers and now they have grabbed chance to interfere even more into everyday life.

Yet when Wee Willie Winkie did it, he was immortalised in song. How times change!

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I watched the BBC Politics programme on BBC 2 while having my lunch after 12pm, to avoid the drone on BBC1.

The Labour MP Jess Philips said that figures given by Chris Whitty at a meeting said that hospitality was 25% of the cause of infections, yet she presented data from Birmingham UK that showed 2%.  When she pressed she found out the 25% came from a study in the USA.

This is the level of misinformation we are getting from government due to Matty Hancocks failed track and trace system.

I saw a clip of Kay Burley getting some twat of a minister to stumble to the point that the data to arrive at restrictions on hospitality had come from some unnamed study in the US.

9 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Yet when Wee Willie Winkie did it, he was immortalised in song. How times change!

I saw a clip of Kay Burley getting some twat of a minister to stumble to the point that the data to arrive at restrictions on hospitality had come from some unnamed study in the US.

I saw the Kay Burley interview.  The minister was a disgrace as he stumbled through it without even knowing anything about this American survey. They clearly believe we will swallow any rubbish they tell us. 

Scottish numbers: 12 October 2020

Summary

• 961 new cases of COVID-19 reported; this is 17.1%* of newly tested individuals [+5]
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends)
  • 36 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+1]
  • 487 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+38]
  • 12,994 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Without reverse track and trace they’re guessing where the actual virus transmissions are occurring. 

For me the key is surely preventing it from jumping households, so instead of closing things down just don’t let households mix in any indoor settings and limit the outside numbers. 

Special circumstances could be provided for visiting sick or new babies etc. 

No exemption for sick as they would be at risk. Hospitals, along with care homes, are also places to be avoided. I did see that we were considering allowing classes for new mums to attend with their children from 5 to 10. Don't see why that is sensible unless they are now saying mums are exempt from Covid, which I doubt is the case.

Track and trace, throughout the UK, has been a disgrace. Not as big a disgrace as the Care Homes scandal, but a disgrace none the less. Did I miss the resignations of those responsible for either of these or does being in charge not carry any responsibility nowadays? Sturgeon, Johnson and their scientific advisors should all be getting bullet as their actions have caused lives. Still much easier to blame students and public and their lap dogs are their to applaud.

5 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

No point in having dreams any more. Work behind a desk is the best you can look forward to in the new Britain. 

20201012_120849.jpg

Sloth’s next job could be as health minister

(unfortunately he is overqualified)

7C4D013E-37EF-4089-B73A-03556A29F272.jpeg

Per-board breakdown (per 100,000)

Lanarkshire 37, Greater Glasgow 30, Ayrshire & Arran 24, Lothian 12, Forth Valley 11, Tayside 11.

All the rest: <10.

Figures looking much better for Lothian.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Per-board breakdown (per 100,000)

Lanarkshire 37, Greater Glasgow 30, Ayrshire & Arran 24, Lothian 12, Forth Valley 11, Tayside 11.

All the rest: <10.

Figures looking much better for Lothian.

If anyone should be in lockdown, it is the West of Scotland, yet we are somehow shoe horned into the same category as them. A clear political decision as Sturgeon is frightened of putting her core support into lockdown while allowing East and Edinburgh to be at lesser risk. Perhaps she's doesn't trust Weegies to not come through to civilisation if our hospitality allowed to remain open and with Rangers v Celtic at weekend, she is frightened to give them opportunity to spread their Glaswegian friendliness ( sectarian behaviours according to everyone else) eastwards.

9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If anyone should be in lockdown, it is the West of Scotland, yet we are somehow shoe horned into the same category as them. A clear political decision as Sturgeon is frightened of putting her core support into lockdown while allowing East and Edinburgh to be at lesser risk. Perhaps she's doesn't trust Weegies to not come through to civilisation if our hospitality allowed to remain open and with Rangers v Celtic at weekend, she is frightened to give them opportunity to spread their Glaswegian friendliness ( sectarian behaviours according to everyone else) eastwards.

The figures for Lothian were pretty much on a par with Greater Glasgow when the original decision was made, and it wasn't surprising that it was included.

Edit: Sorry, I'll amend that, Malinga, having just looked back at the figures. Greater Glasgow was in fact well ahead but Lothian was still significantly elevated in comparison to what it had been.

In the week up to 8 October (per-100,000):

Greater Glasgow 163, Lanarkshire 153, Lothian 107, Ayrshire & Arran 79, Forth Valley 68.

Western Isles 52, Tayside 48, Fife 42, Borders 35, Grampian 28, Dumfries & Galloway 28, Highland 24, Orkney 0, Shetland 0.

Edited by redjambo

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They should also remove +ve tests from nursing homes and prisons , as they are locked environments, and in no way are part of "the community",

An paper from back in May: https://www.nicholaslewis.org/why-herd-immunity-to-covid-19-is-reached-much-earlier-than-thought/

But was brought up when I was talking to someone about the 'K' value instead of R. We'll find out if it is true if the 'second wave' hits similar peaks in the various parts of the world, which could be soon hopefully...

Edited by kila

19 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Cyber first is an old campaign, not related to Covid retraining. It’s aimed at teenagers to get them into cyber security careers. 

Quick google showed that but it is all over media today

It's a brilliant example of how dangerous social media is now. I've been seeing that picture everywhere today used as a 'sign of the times' thing concerning retraining after covid when it's been around for over a year, I know all this without even being on facebook or twitter or being aware of the ad campaign beforehand. But it'll just be ingrained in people's thinking now. 

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's a brilliant example of how dangerous social media is now. I've been seeing that picture everywhere today used as a 'sign of the times' thing concerning retraining after covid when it's been around for over a year, I know all this without even being on facebook or twitter or being aware of the ad campaign beforehand. But it'll just be ingrained in people's thinking now. 

:spoton:

Malinga the Swinga
9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The figures for Lothian were pretty much on a par with Greater Glasgow when the original decision was made, and it wasn't surprising that it was included.

If by pretty much on a par, you mean were not the same and Lothians was lower, then I agree. I get the feeling though that you don't and therefore we will agree to disagree.

Malinga the Swinga
25 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Apparently this was last night at the London palladium. Different rules for different people...

20201012_142719.jpg

You sure that was last night? I would be surprised if that was the case as it would have been everywhere on news.

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

If by pretty much on a par, you mean were not the same and Lothians was lower, then I agree. I get the feeling though that you don't and therefore we will agree to disagree.

Please see my amended post above, Malinga. Having followed the rise in the rates in several areas, I was equally concerned with the rises in the west and in Lothian, and equated that in my mind/memory with "similar rates". I decided to go back and check the data, and yes, Lothian was lower (but still in my mind elevated and therefore of concern). So, we may agree to agree on that point.

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You sure that was last night? I would be surprised if that was the case as it would have been everywhere on news.

It seems there was a show at London palladium last night. Whether that's a picture from it or not I have no idea, but given the facemasks it wouldn't surprise me. There's plenty stuff on TV with live audiences masked up. 

12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Something called songs for a new world....Screenshot_20201012-151243_Twitter.thumb.jpg.3816866dd4aab38166d61f35d7f0cfad.jpg

I P Knightley
15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Face masks all around the audience and loads of empty seats with signs on them (presumably saying, 'don't sit here').

I don't know what the show it but they've been recording TV shows with distanced audiences over the last few weeks. HIGNFY is one and I've been invited to a Mock the Week recording - which I'm giving a miss.

7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Face masks all around the audience and loads of empty seats with signs on them (presumably saying, 'don't sit here').

I don't know what the show it but they've been recording TV shows with distanced audiences over the last few weeks. HIGNFY is one and I've been invited to a Mock the Week recording - which I'm giving a miss.

Another picture. Sorry but football fans are getting taken for mugs. One thing the scientists have agreed is that it is safer outside so God knows how they can justify this.

Screenshot_20201012-151718_Twitter.jpg

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

no chance that was since lockdown

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No danger that was any time in the last 8 months :lol:

52 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Another picture. Sorry but football fans are getting taken for mugs. One thing the scientists have agreed is that it is safer outside so God knows how they can justify this.

Screenshot_20201012-151718_Twitter.jpg

Its not true mate. Don't let yourself get taken for a mug.

BoJo absolutely loving this, he's been itching to add further restrictions. Power mad. His wee face twitching at the corners of his mouth trying to hide the grin. Megalomaniac. etc.

Francis Albert

Another first for the pandemic. Not that in fact it has (as opposed to the response to it) been responsible for any firsts. 

But after 50 years use of pubs I have for the first time been barred. To add to the shame it was a Weatherspoons. Now I admit to being a bit tetchy as a result of the new normal. But after being turned away from a "full bus" (14 occupancy out of a normal 100) I popped across the road to have a drink. I forgot to put my mask on and stood in what until a couple of weeks ago was the queue for the bar, One of the staff  came up and told me bluntly that I had to wear a mask I immediately  apologised profusely and quickly put it on.  I  was told it was table service only, so I headed off to find a table. A voice behind told me he had not stopped talking to me. So I said I had heard  about table service.  He repeated the message about table service and explained what table service meant. I said I had got that. I was then told I would not be served because I had been rude to him twice.

No great loss to be barred from Weatherspoons but a great example of the rule that give anyone power and it will be abused. We will see a lot more of that.

Edited by Francis Albert

24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

BoJo absolutely loving this, he's been itching to add further restrictions. Power mad. His wee face twitching at the corners of his mouth trying to hide the grin. Megalomaniac. etc.

Its true, but he's their megalomaniac, not ours.

what with health being devolved its been really refreshing to see out own Furhrer out bamming that buffoon.

The English can deal with Boris how they see fit.

Sadly Nicola is a problem very much of our own making, though she has probably forgotten someone mentioned Covid to her around March

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Stick the twit on ignore, mate. Best move I've ever made. 

Naw, I'd miss the latest communique from the neighbourhood kommissar, if I did that.

2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Its true, but he's their megalomaniac, not ours.

what with health being devolved its been really refreshing to see out own Furhrer out bamming that buffoon.

The English can deal with Boris how they see fit.

Sadly Nicola is a problem very much of our own making, though she has probably forgotten someone mentioned Covid to her around March

Labour in Wales have had 3/4 of the country in lockdown for weeks. So Greens or Lib Dems... Which do you think would have us living in a free-living Covidless utopia? 

23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Another first for the pandemic. Not that in fact it has (as opposed to the response to it) been responsible for any firsts. 

But after 50 years use of pubs I have for the first time been barred. To add to the shame it was a Weatherspoons. Now I admit to being a bit tetchy as a result of the new normal. But after being turned away from a "full bus" (14 occupancy out of a normal 100) I popped across the road to have a drink. I forgot to put my mask on and stood in what until a couple of weeks ago was the queue for the bar, One of the staff  came up and told me bluntly that I had to wear a mask I immediately  apologised profusely and quickly put it on.  I  was told it was table service only, so I headed off to find a table. A voice behind told me he had not stopped talking to me. So I said I had heard  about table service.  He repeated the message about table service and explained what table service meant. I said I had got that. I was then told I would not be served because I had been rude to him twice.

No great loss to be barred from Weatherspoons but a great example of the rule that give anyone power and it will be abused. We will see a lot more of that.

I hope you followed that up by being extremely rude to him a third time. In for a penny, in for a pound.

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Labour in Wales have had 3/4 of the country in lockdown for weeks. So Greens or Lib Dems... Which do you think would have us living in a free-living Covidless utopia? 

Strange how they are all following exactly the same script. Even the WHO have advised that lockdowns are not effective. 

33 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

1220142587_Screenshot_20201012-162716_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5dbad20a26bebceca19c2a1afb4f25d9.jpg

FFS you're correct. I knew Tory boy Lloyd Webber was allowed to use the Palladium for pilot events (my mate went to see some gig and only 400 were allowed) but a full house like that can't possibly be safe . I would like to see what restrictions were in place and how they're going to decide if people were infected. London theatres are generally cramped as ****. Apologies.

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

Strange how they are all following exactly the same script. Even the WHO have advised that lockdowns are not effective. 

Against COVID-19? Source? Don't dig up some report from a previous year before this virus existed.

27 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I've stumbled across a few dictators in pubs in the last few months but generally the staff have been brilliant. You should haver knocked him out.

The Mighty Thor

So Liverpool's code red, tier 3, very high alert level lockdown is actually less stringent than our current restrictions 🤔

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic