Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

CavySlaveJambo
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Against COVID-19? Source? Don't dig up some report from a previous year before this virus existed.

Unless this is a change due to the research that is appearing that the pandemic really is driven from a super spreading/over dispersion model.  In which case test and protect plus limiting numbers of people anywhere are the best controls. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So Liverpool's code red, tier 3, very high alert level lockdown is actually less stringent than our current restrictions 🤔

Not looked into it much apart from what I have seen in the paper, is it not the same though ?

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So Liverpool's code red, tier 3, very high alert level lockdown is actually less stringent than our current restrictions 🤔

It would appear so. Our esteemed leader has already been on tv stating that none of England's restrictions are tough enough for us up in Central Belt of Scotland. Must be different science that we are following. She won't be bothered of course, with her and worse half bringing in a cool £250k a year and living it up in luxury. 

9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

FFS you're correct. I knew Tory boy Lloyd Webber was allowed to use the Palladium for pilot events (my mate went to see some gig and only 400 were allowed) but a full house like that can't possibly be safe . I would like to see what restrictions were in place and how they're going to decide if people were infected. London theatres are generally cramped as ****. Apologies.

It’s so far only six theatres that are allowed to have events. That photos I would suggest are not from the best angles. The last I read alternative rows were being taken out and spaces between booked groups of people. Temperature checks were being out in place and special distanced routes to get people to their seats to keep punters and staff safe. Sadly as is often the case only the very rich will survive this. 

15 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

FFS you're correct. I knew Tory boy Lloyd Webber was allowed to use the Palladium for pilot events (my mate went to see some gig and only 400 were allowed) but a full house like that can't possibly be safe . I would like to see what restrictions were in place and how they're going to decide if people were infected. London theatres are generally cramped as ****. Apologies.

No worries. Looks well over half full.

Not sure how they can put in restrictions unless they were temperature checking.

One rule for them and one rule for football by the looks of it. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Not looked into it much apart from what I have seen in the paper, is it not the same though ?

Believe restaurants can stay open. Not here they can't cause we can't be trusted.

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Against COVID-19? Source? Don't dig up some report from a previous year before this virus existed.

Are they not allowed to use lessons learnt from previous pandemics and can they not use any learnt from this one for any future ones?

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

No worries. Looks well over half full.

Not sure how they can put in restrictions unless they were temperature checking.

One rule for them and one rule for football by the looks of it. 

We could have fans back at football if our government said so. England have allowed folk in theatres, N Ireland had fans at football last night. Sturgeon and her pet Leitch have decided we can't be trusted to behave anywhere as they know what's best for us, even though rest of Europe seems to disagree. 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Are they not allowed to use lessons learnt from previous pandemics and can they not use any learnt from this one for any future ones?

They can. They can also update this guidance when a brand new virus comes along. 

Just now, Tazio said:

It’s so far only six theatres that are allowed to have events. That photos I would suggest are not from the best angles. The last I read alternative rows were being taken out and spaces between booked groups of people. Temperature checks were being out in place and special distanced routes to get people to their seats to keep punters and staff safe. Sadly as is often the case only the very rich will survive this. 

I presume you mean that theatre is for the rich. It shouldn't be and as an industry it has been destroyed by the pandemic. I'm a member of a theatre arts club and they received nothing apart from furlough. To their advantage, a lot of successful actors and sponsors have donated money to keep them going. Most of them are probably middle class or wealthy I suppose. Its the fact that ALW is the one who gets to do this that really ****s me off.

24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

207093843_Screenshot_20201012-172537_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dfb11de7be56a789d3e7201b833421ba.jpg

"primary control method"

3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

207093843_Screenshot_20201012-172537_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dfb11de7be56a789d3e7201b833421ba.jpg

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

You've missed out a bit:

We in the World Health Organisation do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus," Dr Nabarro told The Spectator.

"The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we'd rather not do it."

26 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

They could have an effective testing system or a functional track and trace system. That could help prevent against the worst of the financial and health problems that lockdown causes. They’ve royally ****ed it up and lockdowns are their only option. 

Edited by GinRummy

Heartsmad1874

Sheer brass neck of Margaret Covid.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6148554/margaret-ferrier-snp-coronavirus-rules-mp/amp/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=scottishsuntwitter&utm_source=Twitter

“I made an error in travelling. However, having looked at the guidelines, I may not have fallen foul of any regulations or recommendations at all. I would hope people would remember that I have been honest since the start and I could have easily kept quiet about the positive result.

:cornette: 

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

"primary control method"

You've missed out a bit:

We in the World Health Organisation do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus," Dr Nabarro told The Spectator.

"The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we'd rather not do it."

7 months ago we bought in to this. 3 weeks so the NHS is not overwhelmed. And yet we are back to square one with the politicians using the same tactics again.

5 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

7 months ago we bought in to this. 3 weeks so the NHS is not overwhelmed. And yet we are back to square one with the politicians using the same tactics again.

That is because the politicians are blaming everyone but themselves for making a complete arse of it, and now presenting misleading data on hospitality infections from U.S. studies instead of actual UK data that doesn't fit their narrative.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Another first for the pandemic. Not that in fact it has (as opposed to the response to it) been responsible for any firsts. 

But after 50 years use of pubs I have for the first time been barred. To add to the shame it was a Weatherspoons. Now I admit to being a bit tetchy as a result of the new normal. But after being turned away from a "full bus" (14 occupancy out of a normal 100) I popped across the road to have a drink. I forgot to put my mask on and stood in what until a couple of weeks ago was the queue for the bar, One of the staff  came up and told me bluntly that I had to wear a mask I immediately  apologised profusely and quickly put it on.  I  was told it was table service only, so I headed off to find a table. A voice behind told me he had not stopped talking to me. So I said I had heard  about table service.  He repeated the message about table service and explained what table service meant. I said I had got that. I was then told I would not be served because I had been rude to him twice.

No great loss to be barred from Weatherspoons but a great example of the rule that give anyone power and it will be abused. We will see a lot more of that.

Glad to see Tim Martin has been training his staff well to spot a wrong un before any damage is done. 

Pretty sure his inbox will now be exploding for a while though. 

25 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I presume you mean that theatre is for the rich. It shouldn't be and as an industry it has been destroyed by the pandemic. I'm a member of a theatre arts club and they received nothing apart from furlough. To their advantage, a lot of successful actors and sponsors have donated money to keep them going. Most of them are probably middle class or wealthy I suppose. Its the fact that ALW is the one who gets to do this that really ****s me off.

You’re a member of an arts club? Good for you. I’m the technical manager of a major theatre in Edinburgh which is one of the main festival venues. A venue which has lost a large percentage of full time staff and all freelance and casual staff. I know exactly what the situation is with theatre and I know that it isn’t for the rich. I meant the rich commercial venues. 
Sorry mate but you’ve picked the wrong person to lecture. 

The Mighty Thor

Sturgeon apparently looking at her own version of a 3 tier system for Scotland. 

I'm kind of struggling to see what further measures she can foist on everyone.

Of course she might want to see what effect the restrictions of 3 weeks ago or indeed last week have on the infection rates (spoiler alert: none whatsoever) before she tries other knee jerk measures based on **** all science. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sturgeon apparently looking at her own version of a 3 tier system for Scotland. 

I'm kind of struggling to see what further measures she can foist on everyone.

Of course she might want to see what effect the restrictions of 3 weeks ago or indeed last week have on the infection rates (spoiler alert: none whatsoever) before she tries other knee jerk measures based on **** all science. 

It's an attempt to tidy up the over complicated rules.   All for clarity.   

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You’re a member of an arts club? Good for you. I’m the technical manager of a major theatre in Edinburgh which is one of the main festival venues. A venue which has lost a large percentage of full time staff and all freelance and casual staff. I know exactly what the situation is with theatre and I know that it isn’t for the rich. I meant the rich commercial venues. 
Sorry mate but you’ve picked the wrong person to lecture. 

Awful the effect this has had on theatres and live events. Hope things improve for you and your colleagues. 

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's an attempt to tidy up the over complicated rules.   All for clarity.   

Whats beginning to become quite clear is that the actions being taken now have little basis in science or indeed the evidence of what is happening from their own reporting systems. 

This is a departure from the decision making of the 'first wave'.  

Its rapidly becoming a series of decisions and measures being made on the hoof, with the prime driver being seen to be in control and doing something. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Whats beginning to become quite clear is that the actions being taken now have little basis in science or indeed the evidence of what is happening from their own reporting systems. 

This is a departure from the decision making of the 'first wave'.  

Its rapidly becoming a series of decisions and measures being made on the hoof, with the prime driver being seen to be in control and doing something. 

The evidence is that we have more people in hospital with Covid-19 now than we did back in March before the first lockdown. We waited too long to lockdown back then and it all went tits up. 

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

And that's it in a nutshell.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The evidence is that we have more people in hospital with Covid-19 now than we did back in March before the first lockdown. We waited too long to lockdown back then and it all went tits up. 

But the questions that need to be asked urgently are what has gone wrong since lockdown was relaxed, and how can we stop it repeating once these measures are relaxed?

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Another first for the pandemic. Not that in fact it has (as opposed to the response to it) been responsible for any firsts. 

But after 50 years use of pubs I have for the first time been barred. To add to the shame it was a Weatherspoons. Now I admit to being a bit tetchy as a result of the new normal. But after being turned away from a "full bus" (14 occupancy out of a normal 100) I popped across the road to have a drink. I forgot to put my mask on and stood in what until a couple of weeks ago was the queue for the bar, One of the staff  came up and told me bluntly that I had to wear a mask I immediately  apologised profusely and quickly put it on.  I  was told it was table service only, so I headed off to find a table. A voice behind told me he had not stopped talking to me. So I said I had heard  about table service.  He repeated the message about table service and explained what table service meant. I said I had got that. I was then told I would not be served because I had been rude to him twice.

No great loss to be barred from Weatherspoons but a great example of the rule that give anyone power and it will be abused. We will see a lot more of that.

Why did you walk away from him?

I know other countries have heavy restrictions in place but no one does arbitrary measures that no one knows how to follow like good old blighty. 

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeh, and this time we haven't went as far as we did in March in terms of a lockdown, almost everywhere is still open, apart from some pubs & restaurants.

We'll have to wait and see if these restrictions bring the infection rate down, personally I have serious doubts that it will, meaning even stronger restrictions are coming our way, just wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

I wonder how much of the three tier thing Nicola and Jason will jockify.

Guaranteed to  be a tartan twist to it.

Imagine alcohol will continue to be banned regardless of how substantial a meal an establishment will serve.

Samuel Camazzola
14 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why did you walk away from him?

To find a table after being advised it was table service only? 

Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Imagine alcohol will continue to be banned regardless of how substantial a meal an establishment will serve.

Madness that 'substantial meals' are now part of the science/decisions England are using.

Absolute nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I'm really struggling to see the logic in banning bevvy whilst having a meal. If you have a glass or 2 of wine or couple of beers with your meal does that mean you turn in to a covid super spreader? Or is it that juice is some kind of secret antidote to keep covid away??

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, and this time we haven't went as far as we did in March in terms of a lockdown, almost everywhere is still open, apart from some pubs & restaurants.

We'll have to wait and see if these restrictions bring the infection rate down, personally I have serious doubts that it will, meaning even stronger restrictions are coming our way, just wait and see.

I don't think it will bring the infection rates down at all. 

People are, in the main, adhering to the regulations and its not making any difference. 

Her only option is to lock it all down again and then as soon as we open back up, etc voila, it all kicks off again. 

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

People are, in the main, adhering to the regulations and its not making any difference. 

Her only option is to lock it all down again and then as soon as we open back up, etc voila, it all kicks off again. 

Agree 100%.

All that's going to be achieved is more people will lose their jobs and more people will get more and more into debt & despair and all the problems that that'll bring with it.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Mighty Thor
31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

What we did in March was to shut down the institutions where viruses spread quickly and prevent this virus from establishing a foothold. It worked to suppress the virus.

Now we've reopened everything and the virus is again circulating freely and not only that, despite the evidence, we've stated that we will not close the places where the virus spreads most freely, rather we'll ***** about at the edges with ineffective restrictions which do not and will not impact the r rate or the numbers of people filling our hospitals. 

Tough times need tough choices. 

A good starting point is to realise you're getting it wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Of course it will, remember Covid is smart, so smart in fact that it knows if you are having a meal with a glass of juice or a meal with a glass of wine/beer.

If's it's the latter, covid will come and get you, stick to the juice, you'll be safe that way.

10 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Adhering to regulations where have you been because that’s not the current state of play. People are ignoring the guidance left right and centre. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

What we did in March was to shut down the institutions where viruses spread quickly and prevent this virus from establishing a foothold. It worked to suppress the virus.

Now we've reopened everything and the virus is again circulating freely and not only that, despite the evidence, we've stated that we will not close the places where the virus spreads most freely, rather we'll ***** about at the edges with ineffective restrictions which do not and will not impact the r rate or the numbers of people filling our hospitals. 

Tough times need tough choices. 

A good starting point is to realise you're getting it wrong. 

We have closed the places where the virus spreads most freely - inside people's homes. No visiting households indoors.

17 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

I wonder how much of the three tier thing Nicola and Jason will jockify.

Guaranteed to  be a tartan twist to it.

Nah, surely not this time? You'd follow a three tier approach and just apply them to where you decide needs them in Scotland. You couldn't have England with 3 tiers and us with 4 or something. Need to get back to a UK approach especially if you're going to have areas up and down the country moving in and out of the tiers.

Just now, spirt of 98 said:

Adhering to regulations where have you been because that’s not the current state of play. People are ignoring the guidance left right and centre. 

You also get people on here proudly declaring that they are doing so and wearing it as some sort of badge of honour.

15 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Madness that 'substantial meals' are now part of the science/decisions England are using.

Absolute nonsense.

Then they'll moan about the obesity rates.

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

We have closed the places where the virus spreads most freely - inside people's homes. No visiting households indoors.

How does it get in there?

Has the virus developed the intelligence to know not to strike at work, school, uni, on the bus or train or at Tesco? 

Tenaciousdandy
29 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I'm really struggling to see the logic in banning bevvy whilst having a meal. If you have a glass or 2 of wine or couple of beers with your meal does that mean you turn in to a covid super spreader? Or is it that juice is some kind of secret antidote to keep covid away??

It defies logic, we are going to a hotel in fife for my missus birthday this month, we can sit and drink in the beer garden up until 10pm  (can get drunk if we choose to, we won't as want to enjoy the days we are there) then we can we can go and sit in the restaurant as residents up to  9pm to have dinner if we wanted to while drunk, but can't sit down to a meal and have a 1 or 2 glasses of wine/beer/champagne to celebrate her birthday

Edited by Dandyman79

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic