Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Wtf has happened to you man? 😂 Always thought of you as a sound ***** but you’ve been pretty unbearable on this thread, tbh. :sad: 

I’m grieving I think :lol: 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Brian Dundas said:

Scientist warns new UK measures not enough

Calum Semple, a professor of child health and outbreak medicine at the University of Liverpool, does not believe the new measures in England go far enough.

He says there is "significant anxiety" in the scientific community as they are seeing cases rise in the under 50s as well as the elderly.

He tells the BBC's Today programme he can see the country having to ban households from mixing; reduce sporting events; move higher education to an online service and place more stringent measures on the hospitality sector.

"The time to act is now," he warns.

So basically a semi perpetual social lockdown.

Forget your friends, folks, forget your family, forget fun. The only F left in your lives are FACTS.

Eh, how about **** off.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The spitfire was pretty cool tbf.

I've never seen one in flight with my own eyes so it was good to get the chance.

It was a perfect morning for it too.

The perfect response. 😁

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

So basically a semi perpetual social lockdown.

Forget your friends, folks, forget your family, forget fun. The only F left in your lives are FACTS.

Eh, how about **** off.

You can still see your friends and family... in a pub... until 10pm. 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

You can still see your friends and family... in a pub... until 10pm. 

What if you're uncomfortable wearing the gimp suit to the pub. :(

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

What if you're uncomfortable wearing the gimp suit to the pub. :(

We're all doing things we're uncomfortable with here. Deal with it. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

The prime minister will outline the measures in the Commons on Tuesday afternoon before addressing the nation in a live broadcast at 20:00. 

Thanks for the warning.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Hitlers everywhere these days. Shut this, shut that, do this, do that, take your flu jab, do what your told, get the polis...****ing nora...

That’s the easy bit because there’s the wife to contend with as well.

Pub owner on the TV with 5 venues in East London, claiming all but 1 will close. Laying into Hancock and the govt. Public Health England report states 43% of traceable cases are still coming from care homes  28% from educational facilities and only 4.6% from hospitality. Why are we still following the "science" instead of the facts and the evidence???

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Pub owner on the TV with 5 venues in East London, claiming all but 1 will close. Laying into Hancock and the govt. Public Health England report states 43% of traceable cases are still coming from care homes  28% from educational facilities and only 4.6% from hospitality. Why are we still following the "science" instead of the facts and the evidence???

You got a link to those numbers?

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s the easy bit because there’s the wife to contend with as well.

:lol: I don’t have that to deal with. Break from this thread needed for me too i think. 

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, jonesy said:

Fair enough. I think it also depends on your stance on masks. Without going down that particular rabbit hole, I guess mine is significantly different from yours!

The rapidity and ease with which docs dispense sick notes would suggest to me, however, that even were such a scheme launched, it wouldn't be all that hard to get a 'pass'

And the sort who want to cheat on mask wearing are the awkward sods many GPs will do anything to get rid of asap.

5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Is that the pub owners figures? IF 43% are still coming from care homes I'm interested to know why more people aren't dying.

How many of the young who are being proposed as the main spreaders are living in those care homes?

7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Is that the pub owners figures? IF 43% are still coming from care homes I'm interested to know why more people aren't dying.

Whilst there is no vaccine the treatments must be getting better - just a possible reason but I’m surprised by the small number of deaths as well if the figures Enzo posted are correct 

11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Pish 😄

Weakened Offender
13 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Wow. 

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

:lol: I don’t have that to deal with. Break from this thread needed for me too i think. 

Tbf to my wife she saw the seethe from me when it was mentioned about shutting the pubs.

She poured me a nice glass of wine to calm my nerves.

Anyway stay with us.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Prudent to see how it goes in Germany first. They've just allowed fans back in at around a 5th capacity. 

Yeah 20% at the moment. All goes to plan, they're hoping for full capacity by December.

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Curfew in England of 10pm for pubs, bars etc. I would expect we will similar announced in Scotland today, 

Cant imagine it will be all that effective. The same issues surely occur just in a reduced timescales, whilst at the same time making even more hospitality venues economically less viable. 

Has anyone seen any rationale for this? All I can see happening is more crowded pubs particularly as closing time approaches and more crowded public transport after closing time.

(Before the temperance campaigners get going it doesn't affect me - I hardly ever use pubs in the evening. I just can't see the sense of the measure) 

Edited by Francis Albert

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I was being sarcastic😕

Scotland will go that wee bit further as per. Just so she can be different. 

What different to a complete balloon down the road:facepalm:

10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Pish 😄

The figures from Witty and Less Wittier were certainly pish but the publican was adamant. 43% from care homes and 4.6% from hospitality.  Don't have any further breakdown than that. There is certainly a govt led campaign to misrepresent the threat of Covid.

Closing pubs early is just a statement both to pub goers and other industries who feel hospitality is getting favourable treatment.

In areas where fools disobey the rules, the virus can spread through pubs etc. In areas where the rues are strictly adhered to, pubs pose little threat in my opinion.

What is the point in having a 10 pm curfew? 

Does Covid do the night shift or something? Does it only come out to play at 10 pm? 

Folk will just go out earlier. 🤷 

These politicians are beyond stupid. 

Borders are still open though I see. 

Edited by Cruyff

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Might help reduce the over inflated wages in English football 

Surely you know by now that top flight wages are not reliant in gate receipts? 

Its quite obvious that the "experts" are now just floating balloons.

Their charts are hysterical over statements.

Sky news have started disputing them and putting out their own projections.

Judging by they public reaction- Ayr beach front was utterly mobbed at the weekend- no masks, no distancing, huge groups and so on- no matter what the govt say its going ot be ignored now.

The public are not going back into their little boxes.

11 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

That’s not really the way to work this out. 

Imagine a mythical country the size of Russia, and imagine it only had one city (about the size of London), however 100% of the population lived there. The population per Km2 would be tiny as the land mass of Russia is huge. However, the country described would be in real trouble in the event of a pandemic as 100% of the population all live in close quarters in an urban area. 

The more pertinent stat when making such a comparison would be the percentage of the population who live in urban areas, rather than population per Km2. 

Sweden have a higher percentage of the population that live in urban areas than the UK does. Both are between 80-90%. 

Oh, I get all of that and fully understand it, hence why I've also been saying that most of the rules have clearly been made with cities first & foremost in mind and often don't have the same effect or are even necessary on us who live in a rural setting, two completely different worlds, one with lots of people crammed into a small place the other (better one imo) with lots of wide open space with a fraction of the people living there.

In this time of social distancing and trying to keep away from crowded places, I know where I'd prefer to live.

15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The figures from Witty and Less Wittier were certainly pish but the publican was adamant. 43% from care homes and 4.6% from hospitality.  Don't have any further breakdown than that. There is certainly a govt led campaign to misrepresent the threat of Covid.

So just to clarify - you are trusting the figures given by some pub landlord over those given by PHE?

My local place of sook is a national chain and has been superb in my dealings so far and has been shutting at 8pm. Another sookhouse I work in out in the sticks has been recording record sales and profits since it was allowed to re-open and are now considering shutting one day a week to give the staff a break.

Shutting pubs early is no biggie. 

Morons with weak minds will find a way to mix and slaver over each other no matter what rules are put in place. 

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

So just to clarify - you are trusting the figures given by some pub landlord over those given by PHE?

The figures given by the businessman - who owns 5 venues - were provided by PHE. The figures from the Brothers Grimm were provided by Jonny Ball and the Think of a Number team.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The figures given by the businessman - who owns 5 venues - were provided by PHE. 

And yet they completely conflict with the numbers tweeted by PHE in the image shown on the previous page.

Malinga the Swinga
16 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Its quite obvious that the "experts" are now just floating balloons.

Their charts are hysterical over statements.

Sky news have started disputing them and putting out their own projections.

Judging by they public reaction- Ayr beach front was utterly mobbed at the weekend- no masks, no distancing, huge groups and so on- no matter what the govt say its going ot be ignored now.

The public are not going back into their little boxes.

By enlarge, the public were behind lockdown. Then both Scottish and UK governments allowed their own officials to break lockdown, albeit Scottish one eventually forced woman to resign, and people just saw it as rules for them while elite didn't have to bother. Since then, public support for lockdown faded. Governments only have themselves to blame.

55 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m surprised, since the govts seem to have gone into a blind panic about spikes, deaths.  and running out of control. Why shielding of the vulnerable has not been evoked. 

This would have massive impact on reducing deaths and take the pressure of the NHS. Instead we seem to be going for 10pm. 

Why are measures not targeting the most vulnerable to help them. FFS over 40% of death were in care home setting, 

The response to this has been shambolic at best and something else at its worst, 

I struggle to think of legitimate justification why this isn’t being done. They talk about acting quickly yet seem to do nothing to protect those most at risk.

Once again it greatly depends on what the scope,  scale and definition of 'the vulnerable' is.    It's not really likely to be limited to a similar demographic of the people previously told to shield.    It seems the medical professionals and scientists are expecting to see some larger numbers appear in the under 60s,  etc.    

The previous lockdown was largely responsible for ensuring the virus never really took hold in the working 'old' and working people with health vulnerabilities.    I think they're very worried that the 2nd wave,   no lockdown this time,   will take hold in areas of the population that will result in a bad situation.    Millions of people without the ability to shield.

Sure,   shield who you can.   But there looks like being a toll within those who cannot.

Malinga the Swinga

So now it isn't safe to sit and watch sport, while observing social distancing, outside in UK, but it is safe to sit inside at work with more colleagues at work.

The messages are getting more and more confused while all the time, Sweden gets on with very little fuss, Germany gets on with rebuilding, Italy makes progress, China carries on. 

Our political leaders are third rate no hopers which is very sad to see. I wouldn't trust one of them, from any party, to do the right thing for country. They care about themselves, their careers and their political parties and after that, nothing. We all slag off Trump, but when you look at our lot, they aren't that different. Very sad.

I did hope originally that scientists would make a difference but we appear to be adopting complete risk averse policy with no human or economic factors being taken into account. 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Once again it greatly depends on what the scope,  scale and definition of 'the vulnerable' is.    It's not really likely to be limited to a similar demographic of the people previously told to shield.    It seems the medical professionals and scientists are expecting to see some larger numbers appear in the under 60s,  etc.    

The previous lockdown was largely responsible for ensuring the virus never really took hold in the working 'old' and working people with health vulnerabilities.    I think they're very worried that the 2nd wave,   no lockdown this time,   will take hold in areas of the population that will result in a bad situation.    Millions of people without the ability to shield.

Sure,   shield who you can.   But there looks like being a toll within those who cannot.

there is nobody who cannot shield, nobody at all.

or at least nobody who needs to who cannot.

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

And yet they completely conflict with the numbers tweeted by PHE in the image shown on the previous page.

Do they?

4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Some people have to work to stay alive big man. You must know this.

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

:rofl:   Sorry but this is nonsense.    

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Some people have to work to stay alive big man. You must know this.

indeed, and the government are completely screwing millions of people to whom the virus is no risk, by shutting down their businesses and removing their ability to earn.

Airline industry- Sturgeon doesnt care because she never goes on holiday

Pubs- doesnt care as she never goes

Cinema/theatres/concerts/ clubs- same- never seen a picture of her doing anything remotely fun or interesting- bit weird no?

Students? she doesnt care as never had fun in her puff

Soft plays? no need, she doesnt care

32 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

My local place of sook is a national chain and has been superb in my dealings so far and has been shutting at 8pm. Another sookhouse I work in out in the sticks has been recording record sales and profits since it was allowed to re-open and are now considering shutting one day a week to give the staff a break.

Shutting pubs early is no biggie. 

Morons with weak minds will find a way to mix and slaver over each other no matter what rules are put in place. 

Thats me then, im better avoiding the pub, 

1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

who cannot shield?

People without the means,  opportunity and financial security to do so.    Hundreds of thousands of people with debts,  mortgages,  rent to pay,  bills to pay,  families to support,  no opportunity to work from home,  reliant on public transport.

Maybe we should let them eat cake,  etc.

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

indeed, and the government are completely screwing millions of people to whom the virus is no risk, by shutting down their businesses and removing their ability to earn.

Cinema/theatres/concerts/ clubs- same- never seen a picture of her doing anything remotely fun or interesting- bit weird no?

Is this factoring in the numbers impacted by Long Covid, of which tens of thousands of people (healthy and in their 30s and 40s) have prolonged health conditions after having covid?

The main issue though, is that this inept and corrupt UK Government, bungled the original lockdown and wasted the time during lockdown to leave lockdown with adequate mass testing and track and trace in place.

Easy as an armchair epidemiologist but unfortunately during a pandemic,  we have had about the worst people possible running the show.

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The SNP are also treating this latest update like Hearts teasing you about a new signing or something. Leaks and snippets etc. 
The Scottish government is as bad as the U.K. government for me on this. 

58 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I can't find any explanation anywhere either, if anything it might encourage more people to socialise at home, or go back to houses when the pub shuts early. I is very unlikely that this is the measure that will get things under control again.

There was a GP on the telly this morning saying pretty much the same, he said can you really see a group of 20 somethings all going home at 10pm, no he added they will all go back to somebody's flat and continue drinking.

My penny's worth, is I don't see this having much effect, I think it's more a case of the government being seen to do something, anything to try and curb the infection rate, short of a national lock-down, which I don't think will happen, not unless things get really really bad over the next few months, in the meantime I think they will try everything and anything before that.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

People without the means,  opportunity and financial security to do so.    Hundreds of thousands of people with debts,  mortgages,  rent to pay,  bills to pay,  families to support,  no opportunity to work from home,  reliant on public transport.

Maybe we should let them eat cake,  etc.

Think this has been my argument all along, TBH.

People are quite happy for the self employed, airline industry etc to sink without a trace- and I include you in this, always after stricted measures and flapping about small numbers whilst large sectors of the economy are reduced to rubble.

Open the whole thing up, look after those who need to be looked after.

There endeth the lesson

16 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

He has given the %figures for outbreak incidents, not for actual traced individuals who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. So there are more care home incidents but they are smaller chains and infect much fewer people, ones in hospitality settings are producing much higher numbers of confirmed individual cases.

Peoples houses is massively the leader on where cases are transmitted 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/919676/Weekly_COVID19_Surveillance_Report_week_38_FINAL_UPDATED.pdf

Yes, I think he did say "traceable" cases, however,  they are defined.  He appears to have had genuine PHE stats. I agree that most cases must come from houses but well run pubs/restaurants will not account for many imo

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic