Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Don't talk pish. Wear a mask when required, wash your hands, and stand a few feet apart from non family members. All that's being asked, is don't spread this thing intentionally. A small piece of consideration will go a long way. 

I do all of the above. I work from home and don't really go on unnecessary trips anywhere. All I am saying is that at some point, we need to take a step back and not 'follow the science' blindly and without question.

Human beings die every day and will continue to do so. The rush to extend life expectancy higher and higher is never ending. I remember when my dad was in hospital with his cancer and he was accepting and ready to go, as he put it. He didn't want surgery that could extend life by a couple of months but would mean pain and loss of dignity, and there was no changing his mind. 

Quality of of life over quantity/length of life for me.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

0.05% have died. 96% had at least 1 underlying condition

How many would have died if we hadn’t had a lockdown or if we weren’t continuing with restrictions?

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Don't talk pish. Wear a mask when required, wash your hands, and stand a few feet apart from non family members. All that's being asked, is don't spread this thing intentionally. A small piece of consideration will go a long way. 

Its almost robotic. And no i won't wear a mask as they are bad for my health and make sod all difference. You keep doing whatever Sturgeon tells you though...

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Lots of people working from home have said it's better for them.

They're actually in contact with workmates more often than they were in the office and meetings are less stressful as it's not in a formal setting.

And far, far less office politics and gossip to deal with.

And on top of all of that they're not spending hours every day commuting with all the cost and stress that can cause.

Works for many people, but there are also others who will be finding it difficult.

I think companies will gain from WFH. My Mrs did more work at home when she worked for the Accessors as a chartered surveyor.

Less hours lost through sickies or Mondays and possibly Pat/Maternity leave.  Less OVERHEADS, Anaw. Win, win. 

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I do all of the above. I work from home and don't really go on unnecessary trips anywhere. All I am saying is that at some point, we need to take a step back and not 'follow the science' blindly and without question.

Human beings die every day and will continue to do so. The rush to extend life expectancy higher and higher is never ending. I remember when my dad was in hospital with his cancer and he was accepting and ready to go, as he put it. He didn't want surgery that could extend life by a couple of months but would mean pain and loss of dignity, and there was no changing his mind. 

👍

32 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Ok why do we need a vaccine for something that is of no threat to 99% of us?

It's almost as if the lunatic scientists are hoping a vaccine might mysteriously protect the vast majority from the threat of a brand new disease.   By pure accident like.    

Today a vaccine.   Maybe tomorrow it will be vodka.  Next week hydrolchloric acid.   

19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Did every fart stain yer Yfronts. 

You what?! 

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

How many would have died if we hadn’t had a lockdown or if we weren’t continuing with restrictions?

See Sweden for your probable answer.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yes but if someone selfishly doesn’t follow the rules then they might pass it on to someone else.

this simply isn’t an option

3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Its almost robotic. And no i won't wear a mask as they are bad for my health and make sod all difference. You keep doing whatever Sturgeon tells you though...

In what way are they bad for your health? 

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

You what?! 

Why not Brazil or Italy (which didn’t lock down until their health service was overwhelmed)?

AlphonseCapone

Scientists and researchers are some of the worst paid educated folk out there. Folk think they are profiting from this 😂 

Getting your scientists and pharmaceutical companies mixed up. 

Also, real scientists, as in the ones that publish things in journals etc never make unqualified claims. It's the media or governments elevating the findings most of the time. I wouldn't listen to many of the scientists on TV tbh, or at least I'd be highly sceptical of them. 

And scientists rarely agree, and new research always enhances or changes previous findings. That's all normal and good. Anyone thinking that is a negative doesn't understand the scientific method. 

5 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

You what?! 

What did they do that was great they had their highest death rate in 150 years in the first part of the year 

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Who isn’t doing this? I haven’t been anywhere or seen anyone or group not doing this. Still rates are rising man. 

8 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Do you have a respiratory ailment?

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

You what?! 

Sweden didn't institute lockdown but it did have restrictions (which were actually stricter than those in France at one point).

That will also be the Sweden who, the microstates aside, has the fifth largest per capita death rate from Covid in Europe, vastly more than its Scandinavian neighbours who did institute lockdown.

I like a success story myself, but Sweden wasn't one. Even the Swedes ended up admitting that their strategy hadn't worked and they would have to adopt stricter measures.

40 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Wearing a face mask, practicing safe distancing and avoiding mass gatherings would not cause job losses, quite the opposite in fact as it allows pubs and shops to remain open. 

I live a full and active life thanks to my medication and I don't have to go out to collect it gets delivered at no cost thanks to our wonderful NHS. 

I can't buy into the theory that it's all some massive International conspiricy to control the masses. 

All you conspiricy theorists have let the lockdown get to your brain. Completely barking in fact. 

Yeah avoiding mass gatherings wont cause job losses check the terrace theres a thread about which club will go into admin first but staff at those clubs wont get made redundant will they?  Your wonderful NHS with free medication is gonna be screwed for years because of this. The economy is gonna collapse if things dont pick up soon and that's going to be passed into public spending and funding for things like the NHS but your old with health conditions that wont affect you will it? Imagine you need a op and theres no bed available or you get lucky and get the op and a day later your thrown out  with inadequate aftercare cause they cant pay for the staff and they need the bed. The conspiracy theorists are the bad ones though, using numbers to scare people like the one I seen today, 3000 people per million in fife have covid. After the headline it says the figure is 150odd. But why lead with a small number? Who does that scare? 

Oh and wearing a bit cloth as a face mask does **** all to stop a virus. If they are gonna enforce a rule they need to make it either the surgical or N95 masks to be effective.

17 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

No wonder you won't wear a mask, it would catch the violent diarrhea that spews from your mouth. 

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sweden didn't institute lockdown but it did have restrictions (which were actually stricter than those in France at one point).

That will also be the Sweden who, the microstates aside, has the fifth largest per capita death rate from Covid in Europe, vastly more than its Scandinavian neighbours who did institute lockdown.

I like a success story myself, but Sweden wasn't one. Even the Swedes ended up admitting that their strategy hadn't worked and they would have to adopt stricter measures.

I wonder if they’ll end up with the 5th largest in Europe though. It seems countries who done well initially then have a period of poor numbers and vice versa for countries who had terrible figures at the start of the pandemic. I say ‘seems’ because it’s just the impression I get, I may be wrong. 

Edited by GinRummy

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Who isn’t doing this? I haven’t been anywhere or seen anyone or group not doing this. Still rates are rising man. 

Come on mate it is spreading amongst groups.Might just be a coincidence but since holidays opened up again and groups of young folk started going abroad together this has started creeping back up.Do I blame the young folk though not really they got the green light to go and enjoy themselves and they have done.

18 minutes ago, OBE said:

Do you have a respiratory ailment?

Do you wear one because you are scared of the government or the disease? 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I wonder if they’ll end up with the 5th largest in Europe though. It seems countries who done well initially then have a period of poor numbers and vice versa for countries who had terrible figures at the start of the pandemic. I say ‘seems’ because it’s just the impression I get, I may be wrong. 

Sweden is at 578 deaths per million. The next nearest is France at 471 - that's a very large gap to make up, particularly given that death rates in Europe are significantly reduced now due to our more efficient handling and treatment of the disease, and would indicate that unless there is a huge second wave, they'll end up in 5th place, imo.

19 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Where as Scotland is 3rd. Sweden's economy has not been trashed however.

Just now, redjambo said:

Sweden is at 578 deaths per million. The next nearest is France at 471 - that's a very large gap to make up, particularly given that death rates in Europe are significantly reduced now due to our more efficient handling and treatment of the disease, and would indicate that unless there is a huge second wave, they'll end up in 5th place, imo.

Cheers for explanation👍

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good **** them 

It's not good though is it. No fans in and every club will go bust including our own.

6 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Surely if we were that bad with lockdown and restrictions we’d have been worse without them? 

Edited by GinRummy

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

Wrong. If Scotland were an independent country, we would be 7th, behind Sweden and France.

Please stop making figures up. It doesn't help your arguments at all.

Pasquale for King

It's not good though is it. No fans in and every club will go bust including our own.

We’ve not got a game for a month, no fans until then suits me fine. Did I miss them banning fans for ever are you just being a huge drama queen like a lot of ******s on here?

Nucky Thompson

The governments of the UK have really ramped up the fear through the media this week. All to keep the youngsters in line.

No conspiracy theories here, but they try and influence how people think and react.

I was listening to radio Forth and they trotted out a guy in his 20's who had 'long covid'

They said that before he got the virus months ago he was 'relatively' fit. Now the use of the word relatively makes me wonder if although he never had any listed health conditions, he could have been a 30 stone pie eater.

They obviously couldn't find a fully fit person in their 20's

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’ve not got a game for a month, no fans until then suits me fine. Did I miss them banning fans for ever are you just being a huge drama queen like a lot of ******s on here?

You can see how ultra cautious Sturgeon is. No chance we will be getting crowds any time soon. Winter comes around and the merry go round starts again. 

Answered with a question. 

7 minutes ago, OBE said:

Answered with a question. 

No I dont wear one. Who would have though that a healthy person not wearing a mask would become a social outcast! 😂 

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Wrong. If Scotland were an independent country, we would be 7th, behind Sweden and France.

Please stop making figures up. It doesn't help your arguments at all.

I think the point about the economy is a fair one though. First half of the year Sweden only saw an c. 8% drop in GDP, whereas UK was c. 20%. 

I think people forget this has to be a balancing act between the two. 

No I dont wear one. Who would have though that a healthy person not wearing a mask would become a social outcast! 😂 

How do you know you aren't an asymptomatic carrier who could infect others, and more to the point why should others accept your ignorance?

23 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

If you refuse to wear one in shops / public transport just because you don’t believe it helps then you are breaking the law mate 

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Come on mate it is spreading amongst groups.Might just be a coincidence but since holidays opened up again and groups of young folk started going abroad together this has started creeping back up.Do I blame the young folk though not really they got the green light to go and enjoy themselves and they have done.

Of course it’s spreading it’s not going to disappear. Is this how it’s gonna be too? Blame some group every time things open up? Blame kids? Blame schools? Blame boozers? Blame restaurants? Be blaming football matches if you ever get into one again without wearing a bio suit. I don’t know what kind of place we’re headed to tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Your words not mine.

7 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

So you are admitting you are healthy and refuse to wear a face mask when appropriate?

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

How do you know you aren't an asymptomatic carrier who could infect others, and more to the point why should others accept your ignorance?

This 

the actions of a selfish ignorant twit.

WHO have said there is mo evidence an asymptomatic person can infect others. This has probably been removed to keep you and the other sheep in fear.  

Masks are mandatory in France where the cases are going up higher than the UK.  They clearly do not work. And you call me ignorant?

1 minute ago, Natural Orders said:

So you are admitting you are healthy and refuse to wear a face mask when appropriate?

Grass him up to Jason.

He'll tell him the FACTS, just in case he missed them before.

Just now, TheOak88 said:

I think the point about the economy is a fair one though. First half of the year Sweden only saw an c. 8% drop in GDP, whereas UK was c. 20%. 

I think people forget this has to be a balancing act between the two. 

Of course it has to be, but different governments and individuals will have different ideas about where that balance point should be set (amply illustrated by some of the discussions about it on here).

However, in saying that, I have to point out that Bt2's mentioning of Sweden concerned the relationship between lockdown/restrictions and death rate, not the economy.

WHO have said there is mo evidence an asymptomatic person can infect others. This has probably been removed to keep you and the other sheep in fear.  

Masks are mandatory in France where the cases are going up higher than the UK.  They clearly do not work. And you call me ignorant?

Only because everything else you're worthy of being called would be ban worthy. 

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It's all about empathy, how much you care about how your actions affect others. Some people have little or none, unfortunately.

Maybe the cases in France would be even higher if it wasn't for the mandatory.

7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Of course it’s spreading it’s not going to disappear. Is this how it’s gonna be too? Blame some group every time things open up? Blame kids? Blame schools? Blame boozers? Blame restaurants? Be blaming football matches if you ever get into one again without wearing a bio suit. I don’t know what kind of place we’re headed to tbh. 

I'm not blaming them.

8 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

“The coronavirus can spread about one to three days before symptoms start, a top official of the World Health Organization”

you might already have it without realising so infecting others 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic