Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Not been asked to go on to Good Morning Britain yet but tbh, putting on a Devi-wig, a rank rotten American accent and talking pish for 10mins doesn't really appeal tbh👍

Because 10mins is not enough to facilitate the expression of all yer shite opinions 🤣

if we ever get back in Tynie you know you have to go along in that outfit with yer american accent 👌🏻 Itll at least give us a laugh while we all wait to shout at the players when they havent scored inside 30secs 😉

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Money is incredibly cheap at the moment, if ever a time to borrow it would be now. Negative interest rates were talked about in some circles not that long ago, 

As an aside govts don’t really borrow money by getting it from Bill Gates or some institute, well not at least directly, it’s predominately done through the issue of government bonds which are then traded on the financial markets. 

Never thought it was from gates but surely the banks have a tie back to the rich and powerful (rothschilds?? And the likes) and therefore those in that position could easily stop charging us for the privilege of giving the country more money to survive.

i might be way off its just a thought. I dont have a real understanding of how it works

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Is that per % of the population. I figured Highland , islands etc might be lower but no idea why Glasgow and Edinburgh would be so low

No idea tbh. I only stumbled across it, and thought it was interesting. If I had to guess I'd suggest there's more old people in care homes in the bigger cities than elsewhere?

Furlough is often characterised as this enormously costly thing to operate.  It is very costly but the reality is that it only represents about a quarter of the total cost of the pandemic to the country.  Plus it's running costs has a cost saving in the longer term.  It's partly an investment.  Laying waste to the business and employment market is going to be more costly.  Unfortunately we'll have both.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, sadj said:

I might be way off its just a thought. I dont have a real understanding of how it works

Don't let silly, insignificant things like ignorance put you off posting on this thread, mate. 😁

2 minutes ago, pablo said:

No idea tbh. I only stumbled across it, and thought it was interesting. If I had to guess I'd suggest there's more old people in care homes in the bigger cities than elsewhere?

Could well be. Figures with no context are great 🤣 could be percentage of the public not in frontline or care homes , carer roles etc. Id imagine those numbers in those roles are much higher in glasgow and edinburgh

50 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We need a final end date on furlough. 30th April or whatever and that's it. It would focus minds and restore a bit of common sense, perspective and logic to what has been a complete and utter shambles

Agreed 💯 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

I'm not doing it in an effort to force the government to do anything, TBH, Sadj. I'm just doing it because I believe in, as far as possible and reasonable, living in a manner that allows me to be at peace with myself. Strict adherence to arbitrary rules doesn't do that for me. 😇

My concern is that the government(s) are painting themselves into a corner with restrictions that will force them to either continue u-turning to the point where they are unable to govern (some might say we've pretty much reached that point, anyway) or double-down on restrictions and enforcement. Should the latter occur in a situation in which the vaccine has also proved to be a false dawn, then we'll truly be in a bad way. :( 

As for the lenders, great idea. I'm sure that the airborne Sus that deliver the news will be feted and honoured ;) 

No arguments there. I agree with the top part too. I just try to follow them to a sensible level. Its not really us that they are aimed at its the ones who hold parties , who ignore rules to do as they please and put people at risk with no thought for consequences. Thats why the half assed lockdowns dont affect things. 

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Don't let silly, insignificant things like ignorance put you off posting on this thread, mate. 😁

Yup in with two feet and no braincells is the way forward. To be fair its only a few most have a reasoned debate no matter their position. The political pish gets tiring though on both sides. Just imagine we had Lawson on the thread telling us how Labour would solve it and world hunger in 90 days

16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Pathetic attempt at justifying your rank ignorance.  I've never remotely suggested anything like your opening remarks.  Furlough will be needed beyond the date you suggested in order to support the economy while it recovers.  No more no less.  Not every employer will be able to start up,  recover,  upscale activity at the same pace.  Allowing jobs and businesses to disappear is much more costly than supporting them during a crisis and recovery.

Look,  you made another fool of yourself.  Deal with it.  Own the consequences of your habitual nonsense.  

You don't seem to be able to debate or relate to business tbh. So, you've now pivoted to business support packages, away from furlough, fair enough.  Of course, I agree, a lot of businesses will need short term support. But, as you well know, I was referring to the (comfort) blanket approach to furlough that Labour and the SNP would happily support for years to come, ignorant of how it's funded or who pays it back. 

Agreed.

See you later round at i8's place for the party.

🤣 I bet that would be an eyeopening experience

18 minutes ago, sadj said:

Because 10mins is not enough to facilitate the expression of all yer shite opinions 🤣

if we ever get back in Tynie you know you have to go along in that outfit with yer american accent 👌🏻 Itll at least give us a laugh while we all wait to shout at the players when they havent scored inside 30secs 😉

Would need at least 15mins Sadj😂. Haha, no, I don't think AB would judge it as a commercial success.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You don't seem to be able to debate or relate to business tbh. So, you've now pivoted to business support packages, away from furlough, fair enough.  Of course, I agree, a lot of businesses will need short term support. But, as you well know, I was referring to the (comfort) blanket approach to furlough that Labour and the SNP would happily support for years to come, ignorant of how it's funded or who pays it back. 

I'm floored by this.  Gone.

You've done a complete about-face and now welcome short term support,  but somehow it's me who's pivoted?  Despite the fact that it was me who explained the damn thing to you.  :rofl:

A self awareness vacuum personified.   

Weakened Offender
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think zero death is the future target. After all, 'every death is a tragedy'. To prevent such tragedy, I would expect not dying to be in the next set of guidelines, and will, in time, become law. Anyone caught approaching death, taking a final breath, or indeed, having died, will be prosecuted.

Hopefully be the same level of non-compliance amongst the usual suspects on here. 😉

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Which, in practice, is impossible. It would, effectively, be killing people in the name of "saving lives". The fact you are even suggesting it shows how far the population have been cowed by govts. In the event of vaccines not working as well as expected, most people would say feck it, if I catch it, I catch it. There would be thousands more deaths from lockdown than Covid would cause. File under "non-starter"

Yep if the vaccines are not working as well as anticipated I do  feel people will just say feck it and take their chances. 

44 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I agree Jonesy. We can see now that lockdown fatigue is beginning to show. I go out early morning to pick up a paper and the traffic is as busy as ever. At a guess, once the most vulnerable are vaccinated the clamour to lift restrictions will become unstoppable.  By that time, we may well know that the vaccines stop transmission too, which will be a game changer. At any rate, worries about transmission among the rest of the population would not justify any significant restrictions. I have confidence that Johnson will lift restrictions at the earliest opportunity.  Sturgeon, unfortunately, is absolutely dining out on the power as are her scientific advisors like Leitch and that slaver Devi from Edi Uni.

Devi was on channel 4 news just now.  She spoke about restrictions possibly lasting until next year. The interviewer challenged her about this. He rightly pointed out if the vaccines are doing their bit, deaths plummet and hospital admission plummet surely this would mean we open up ?  Her reply sent shivers down my spine. She said this may well be the case but then we would have to ensure children and young people are not infected by the virus. Basically saying it would open up a whole new ball game. 

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think zero death is the future target. After all, 'every death is a tragedy'. To prevent such tragedy, I would expect not dying to be in the next set of guidelines, and will, in time, become law. Anyone caught approaching death, taking a final breath, or indeed, having died, will be prosecuted.

Dont encourage wee Nicky this might be in her election Manifesto in May...

Were both of her hands visible throughout the interview, and was there any indication of a foamy gash under her desk as she spoke?

Fair play though, they've worn down the adult population. They've got to work on the future, next. Compliance is essential.

I found it very sinister. 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm floored by this.  Gone.

You've done a complete about-face and now welcome short term support,  but somehow it's me who's pivoted?  Despite the fact that it was me who explained the damn thing to you.  :rofl:

A self awareness vacuum personified.   

I'll leave you in your new nadir and hope that you will learn the difference between furlough and "business support". Just to clarify, I'm in no need of your "explanations" on business. Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, pablo said:

You see, there *is* a lot of info on this thread that is interesting other than my daily tables. ;) As it is, if that vaccination table is correct, that is more disparity than I would have thought likely. Even if cities have a younger population (just guessing), Dundee and Aberdeen are up near the top and Glasgow and Edinburgh are down near the bottom. Perhaps questions should be asked at the next SG media conference?

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'll leave you in your new nadir and hope that you will learn the difference between furlough and "business support". Just to clarify, I'm in no need of your "explanations" on business. Thanks. 

I never mentioned business support.  I said that furlough is a support to businesses and jobs.

You're a slavering fool Enzo.  You're not embarrassing yourself because you have no awareness of it.  

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I don't think we could go that long. It would make the Great Depression look like an economic boom

The economy is a secondary concern. It has been throughout this situation. 

Weakened Offender
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Classy post, WO. ☠️

Been taking debating lessons from a five year old, have you? ;) 

You set the tone. 😊

Weakened Offender

Get a room.:love:

Leave them be. Gonzo has become the thread's punchbag. It's a glorious conclusion to his 9 months of disrespectful drivel. 😎

8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Awful to read that, Nucky. Imo, if it's morally reprehensible (which it is) then there need to be punitive repercussions or folk will just carry on doing it. If some people are willing to skip the queue then they're most certainly not going to listen to advice not to, no matter how shitty they're told they are. There should be fines, not "hints at fines".

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Any predictions as to why the Edinburgh number is so low? :( 

I haven't a scooby, jonesy. Hopefully we'll find out.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Which, in practice, is impossible. It would, effectively, be killing people in the name of "saving lives". The fact you are even suggesting it shows how far the population have been cowed by govts. In the event of vaccines not working as well as expected, most people would say feck it, if I catch it, I catch it. There would be thousands more deaths from lockdown than Covid would cause. File under "non-starter"

As long as CV deaths and hospital admissions are high, there will be lockdown measures - that’s just how it is. So, if the vaccine turns out not to be as effective as we once hoped, and CV deaths/people in hospital remain high we will live with restrictions. 

Regardless of whether you say “feck it, if I catch it, I catch it” - it won’t be your decision. Sturgeon will decide, if, and when restrictions end. 

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That won’t happen, the economy couldn’t sustain it and the damage would be felt for generations.  If vaccines don’t work then the country needs to have a conversation about a death toll that is acceptable and a triage system for health care provision.  

The economy would just have to sustain it, not just ours but the economies of many countries around the world. 

All Sridhar is doing is warning us how to properly risk mitigate and what might happen if we don't.

Especially based on successes elsewhere.

We're in a brilliant place by ignoring her so far it must be said.

Edited by DETTY29

Did you know that at precisely 21:21 and 21 seconds tonight, it will be the 21st second past the 21st minute past the 21st hour of the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century!!

something to be aware off! 🤪

1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

Did you know that at precisely 21:21 and 21 seconds tonight, it will be the 21st second past the 21st minute past the 21st hour of the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century!!

something to be aware off! 🤪

Only if you believe in the principles of the measurement of the construct of time as defined by humans.  I'm not entirely confident that covers everyone on this thread.

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Leave them be. Gonzo has become the thread's punchbag. It's a glorious conclusion to his 9 months of disrespectful drivel. 😎

:lol:

Malinga the Swinga
31 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If the rate continues to be so horrendously low in Edinburgh, I wouldn't blame anyone for trying to get vaccination by this method. 

They are being disadvantaged by a government who are choosing to place some locations above others. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

From my calculations deaths in 2020 were 14% higher than 2015 and according to Worldometer the population has risen by 3% so...

As for how large a factor lockdown is in causing excess deaths, it's the final lifeboat available to the sceptics.

Last summer they said the pandemic is over, but when when positive tests went up they said it was all down to the faulty PCR test and it was just a 'casedemic', no need to worry hospital admissions won't rise. Then when hospital admissions rose they claimed it was a normal pattern of winter respiratory infections, but don't worry deaths won't rise. And when deaths rose they had to hurriedly find a reason (other than the obvious) so have now settled on lockdown causing  the excess deaths. You've been assiduously non committal, so I'm sure you never held any of these views.

I'm not interested in playing 'my scientist is better than your scientist', but I'm perfectly happy to cite where my information comes from, and on a discussion forum where most people seem to have no particular expertise I can't understand why you'd be reluctant to do the same.

Hiding your sources doesn't really do much for scientific discussion.

i think your calculations are a bit spurious to be honest but it’s starting to take stuff in the right direction from the original ‘my piece of raw data is bigger than your piece of raw data’

what you view as non-commital I view as having a healthy respect for the complexities involved and realising that comparing one set-up to another needs them more than to be both islands for example or claiming lockdown did or did not do such and such especially when highly qualified scientists are not in agreement

the list of stuff you’ve said about what you’ve labelled as the “sceptics” I think belong to a different group from those who respect the virus accept there are some benefits from lockdown etc etc but maybe believe things have got a bit out of context and that’s where the discussion lies for a different group to the ones you label “sceptics” - I think there is a very distinct difference

im not sure why you think I’m “hiding” my sources - it’s not like I’m claiming to have inside info or something -anything that I have read or watched plenty on here will also done but I have explained why I’m not getting involved in copy/paste tennis

:)

Adam_the_legend
50 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep if the vaccines are not working as well as anticipated I do  feel people will just say feck it and take their chances. 

Devi was on channel 4 news just now.  She spoke about restrictions possibly lasting until next year. The interviewer challenged her about this. He rightly pointed out if the vaccines are doing their bit, deaths plummet and hospital admission plummet surely this would mean we open up ?  Her reply sent shivers down my spine. She said this may well be the case but then we would have to ensure children and young people are not infected by the virus. Basically saying it would open up a whole new ball game. 

Dont encourage wee Nicky this might be in her election Manifesto in May...

What does she mean by that? Kids and young people are getting it now, they just on the whole aren’t getting seriously ill from it. I don’t understand her point. 

8 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

What does she mean by that? Kids and young people are getting it now, they just on the whole aren’t getting seriously ill from it. I don’t understand her point. 

Pure and simple scare mongering. She wasn't challenged when she said it either. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Is that per % of the population. I figured Highland , islands etc might be lower but no idea why Glasgow and Edinburgh would be so low

text book failure to appreciate the fundamentals of the data

too hasty to dive into the numbers and percentages and missing the real important questions that need to be addressed before the calculator is even switched-on

not saying the data is wrong but the validity is very suspect

no “og” in Angus that’s the sort of red flags that keep getting missed :(

Brighton Jambo
32 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

The economy would just have to sustain it, not just ours but the economies of many countries around the world. 

That’s not how economies work.  The furlough and business support schemes would need to end and thousands if not millions of people would lose their jobs, income and houses.  Destitution and homelessness would be rife.  That’s how the economy sustains it.  You cannot simply keep borrowing record amounts year after year and before you ask why the answer is that institutions will stop lending as they will know countries would default on the debt.  And printing more money would see huge rises in inflation which would be as devastating.  

49 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Punchbag? 😂😂😂. The lockdown fanatics on here wouldn't know the difference between a jibe and a jab.👍 . Just saying. 

56 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

As long as CV deaths and hospital admissions are high, there will be lockdown measures - that’s just how it is. So, if the vaccine turns out not to be as effective as we once hoped, and CV deaths/people in hospital remain high we will live with restrictions. 

Regardless of whether you say “feck it, if I catch it, I catch it” - it won’t be your decision. Sturgeon will decide, if, and when restrictions end. 

Of course the vaccines will reduce the death rate and hospitalisations.  The goalposts keep moving though, apparently we have to protect younger members of society now. It's in Sturgeon's gift to enforce lockdown,  the people will decide whether to "lock down" or not.

6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That’s not how economies work.  The furlough and business support schemes would need to end and thousands if not millions of people would lose their jobs, income and houses.  Destitution and homelessness would be rife.  That’s how the economy sustains it.  You cannot simply keep borrowing record amounts year after year and before you ask why the answer is that institutions will stop lending as they will know countries would default on the debt.  And printing more money would see huge rises in inflation which would be as devastating.  

In principle but there is headroom.  No western government would ever deploy the maximum amount of financial support over a term and leave itself with no contingency.  Mass destitution would always be much more harmful and problematic so borrowing or issuing government bonds will take place if need be for the time being.  Whether furlough ends now or in another year's time will make limited difference to the aftermath of how we pay for this.  We'll be paying for this for many decades.

16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well said. A Tory with a heart.

100 of his family-community go about their daily business with no restrictions versus 100 of a poor area?

What are the final outcomes.....especially health wise

His calculated risk, likeJHB or Esther McVey or whoever before them is that they end up with a far better outcome but sell in a 'I'm doing this for you'

It's disgusting.

Anyway Zoom Pub till the wee hours.

27 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Interest rates are low enough that borrowing will keep going. Our national debt is c.100% of GDP - it’s high but there is still headroom for it to go higher. Other developed nations carry far higher national debt than we do. 

I fully expect furlough will be extended beyond end of April for targeted industries. 

Just to clarify, I am not saying the borrowing isn’t problematic. There is no doubt when the dust settles from all this, be it 6 months from now, or 2 years from now, there will have to be some difficult and unpopular fiscal decisions made. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic