Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

"It is not right to criminalise people who simply want to spend time with their loved ones," Johnson says

🤔🤔🤔

Have I picked up the rules incorrectly over the last 9 months...

This is what you call a classic vote-chasing political statement. To the politician, it doesn't matter whether it's true or not, or whether it conflicts with what is actually being done. It is an "I'm with all of you, chaps" statement. Also the sort of statement that's very likely to come back and bite you on the arse afterwards.

Not the sign of a responsible and astute politician.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

"It is not right to criminalise people who simply want to spend time with their loved ones," Johnson says

🤔🤔🤔

Have I picked up the rules incorrectly over the last 9 months...

Yup , that rule previously only applied if their loved ones were in Durham

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Somewhere on this thread you could find me expressing my utter amazement at them being allowed back. Seems the craziest decision both then and now. Young people are generally happier to take risks. Introducing huge numbers of them to the city was extremely dangerous. As I said yesterday, I can only give an opinion on it, can’t back it with facts. 

It was one of the stupidest decisions taken in Scotland throughout this whole pandemic.

Nucky Thompson
11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Absolutely and the more the better it'll be for everyone.

I'm hearing that there is growing anger in the EU, especially in Germany that the EMA has not passed the Pfizer BioNtech vaccine yet, in fact they were due to hold a meeting NEXT week to look at the data, but under growing pressure they brought that meeting forward by 8 days and held it this week.

Euronews were saying that it could be next week before the EU approves it, but then there is a major hurdle, because there are next to no supplies available for the EU to roll out, as Britain, the US etc etc are getting almost all the supplies right now and it could be well into the New Year before the EU have any meaningful supplies of vaccine to distribute.

Sounds to me like the EU have missed the boat on this.

European bureaucracy at it's finest.

Well rid :D

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

This is what you call a classic vote-chasing political statement. To the politician, it doesn't matter whether it's true or not, or whether it conflicts with what is actually being done. It is an "I'm with all of you, chaps" statement. Also the sort of statement that's very likely to come back and bite you on the arse afterwards.

I prefer that to the Nazi style, 'if you leave your house , you're getting nicked'

If people feel that they're being threatened or shat on, they'll retaliate 

Just my opinion though

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Meanwhile South Korea has just announced its running out of intensive care beds in Seoul and it’s tracing system has been overwhelmed.  

This is of course a total misrepresentation by the media. There were 612 deaths in the UK today which is exactly the same as the entire number of fatalities by Covid in SK since the star of the pandemic. 

Yes, the number of infections is rising, but is around the same number as Scotland has, in a country with more than 10 times the population. They are running out of hospital beds and intensive care beds so the minister of health equivalent has just allocated many more for Covid just in case they are needed. 

The test and trace app traces around 100 contacts on average and because the numbers of infections has increased the ability to test and trace such large numbers has diminished but it is not overwhelmed.

The desperation of our media to denigrate other countries when it suits their agenda often embarrassing.

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

hes master at soundbites...." Get Brexit done" et al

19 minutes ago, redjambo said:

FFS. Right from the start, that meeting should have been held "yesterday". You don't ***** about with stuff like this.

The orginal meeting to review the data was scheduled for the 29 December, they've only brought it forward because of pressure from the Germans.

I think it was the Wall Street Journal that I read something that even when the EMA approve the Pfizer vaccine, it is then up to each of the 27 other countries health authorities to approve it for emergency use, which the EMA can't do seemingly.

So in theory you could have Germany approving the vaccine for emergency use, but Bulgaria says no, the Germans get vaccinated and the Bulgarians don't, of course that's very unlikely to happen, but it is possible.

17 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I prefer that to the Nazi style, 'if you leave your house , you're getting nicked'

If people feel that they're being threatened or shat on, they'll retaliate 

Just my opinion though

So right . My sister is usually a very calm reasoned woman but she said " she can get to f$$$ there is no way i am not seeing my family on Xmas day." I think many have the same sentiment but maybe more eloquently.  :) 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So right . My sister is usually a very calm reasoned woman but she said " she can get to f$$$ there is no way i am not seeing my family on Xmas day." I think many have the same sentiment but maybe more eloquently.  :) 

Is that your sister’s yearly family get together?:P

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is that your sister’s yearly family get together?:P

No we have a few but this one is much needed like most  peoples must be ! :) 

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I’m absolutely chuffed to bits I’ve got an excuse to avoid my family on Christmas Day. Me, the wife and her mum getting nougats on the Gin and Brandy. Nae bairns, tight *******s, weegies or unfunny family comedians to put up with. Can not ****ing wait. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m absolutely chuffed to bits I’ve got an excuse to avoid my family on Christmas Day. Me, the wife and her mum getting nougats on the Gin and Brandy. Nae bairns, tight *******s, weegies or unfunny family comedians to put up with. Can not ****ing wait. 

🤣🤣 full of the Christmas cheer I see GR🙌

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Somewhere on this thread you could find me expressing my utter amazement at them being allowed back. Seems the craziest decision both then and now. Young people are generally happier to take risks. Introducing huge numbers of them to the city was extremely dangerous. As I said yesterday, I can only give an opinion on it, can’t back it with facts. 

I think it’s been established that allowing first years to come and others coming back was the wrong decision, most are learning online now anyway so that could’ve been done from home. Now we’re having to test them so they can go away from Xmas, are they supposed to isolate when they come back? 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes its a great descriptive word. Think the worse time I ever heard it was in the " Sopranos" when one of the most likable characters got whacked and  the killer called her that word.  That shocked me more than the whacking.  I wont identify who it was in case anyone hasn't seen the best tv show ever.  

I can’t remember that bit, will need to watch it all again in the new year 😃

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

🤣🤣 full of the Christmas cheer I see GR🙌

I am actually. There are members of my family that I carefully avoid all year. It doesn’t ruin Xmas having to see them but it will make it better not having to see them. 😀

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I can’t remember that bit, will need to watch it all again in the new year 😃

Spoiler

I assume you have seen all the series ? 

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Will be making the 120 mile drive to Edinburgh for a two week Christmas stay. 

According to some people this makes me akin to mass murderers and war criminals. 

Judge all ye want. 

People won't judge you, they don't give a flying ***k what you do.

Edited by OBE

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think it’s been established that allowing first years to come and others coming back was the wrong decision, most are learning online now anyway so that could’ve been done from home. Now we’re having to test them so they can go away from Xmas, are they supposed to isolate when they come back? 

Coming back is the issue for me. Test them to let them go home then just don’t allow them back until we are in level 1. Otherwise it’s repeating mistakes I’d think. 

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

LOL btw we are not being reckless. There will be a  maximum of 3 different households on Xmas day to clarify before some posters jump down my throat. 

willie wallace
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

No probs, Willie. It's the nation-wide rate. So if you take the total number of new cases in the country reported today and work out the per-100,000 figure for that, then you come up with 13 (rounded to the nearest whole number).

689 new cases / 5,463,200 population of Scotland * 100,000 = 12.61

It can be thought of as the national average, if you like.

Cheers for that Red.

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

LOL btw we are not being reckless. There will be a  maximum of 3 different households on Xmas day to clarify before some posters jump down my throat. 

I’m not bothered what you do as long as you have a very merry Christmas. 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Coming back is the issue for me. Test them to let them go home then just don’t allow them back until we are in level 1. Otherwise it’s repeating mistakes I’d think. 

Definitely, no their fault so why should have to go through all that again. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah 

Spoiler

It was the scene when Silvio Dante took Adriana for a car ride...and then shot her...one of the heartbreaking scenes in the show.. Poor Adriana.  

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m not bothered what you do as long as you have a very merry Christmas. 

I didnt mean you.  Merry Xmas 

37 minutes ago, OBE said:

People won't judge you, they don't give a flying ***k what you do.

A lot of people do care what other people do which is why i posted. Especially when it involves c-19 measures. 

Its ridiculous. 

Liverpool fans with a heads start over the rest of the population in the Xmas free for all and belting out You’ll never walk alone in the kop. and my ma cannae sing in her church. 
It’s mental.

11 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I still don’t understand why you posted. Was it to say “look at me, I’m cool, look at me everyone”?

What are you up to at Xmas Brian ? 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Liverpool fans with a heads start over the rest of the population in the Xmas free for all and belting out You’ll never walk alone in the kop. and my ma cannae sing in her church. 
It’s mental.

If health wasn't devolved, there would be 2000 fans at Tynecastle belting out songs too

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

We have just changed a wee bit again today, the in-laws are coming from Falkirk but just for lunch now, not staying over, me and the kids will go over and see my folks in the morning and open presents etc, I’ll stay in the garden. 

Im hoping from some better times soon, maybe some mass parties at Easter. 

Sounds very jolly. Always a shame when folk don’t stay over, means they can’t have a wee drink. 

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

This is of course a total misrepresentation by the media. There were 612 deaths in the UK today which is exactly the same as the entire number of fatalities by Covid in SK since the star of the pandemic. 

Yes, the number of infections is rising, but is around the same number as Scotland has, in a country with more than 10 times the population. They are running out of hospital beds and intensive care beds so the minister of health equivalent has just allocated many more for Covid just in case they are needed. 

The test and trace app traces around 100 contacts on average and because the numbers of infections has increased the ability to test and trace such large numbers has diminished but it is not overwhelmed.

The desperation of our media to denigrate other countries when it suits their agenda often embarrassing.

I’m afraid your facts are getting in the way of this thread’s hyperbole, trolling and general “look at me” -ery.

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Much quieter this year, but we had a totally disrupted and different one last year as my Dad had a heart attack just before it. We just rolled out of that one straight into this shite!  

I hope everyone manages to make the best of it whatever they do. 

Sorry to hear that. Hope you have a great day. 

8 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

We have just changed a wee bit again today, the in-laws are coming from Falkirk but just for lunch now, not staying over, me and the kids will go over and see my folks in the morning and open presents etc, I’ll stay in the garden. 

Im hoping from some better times soon, maybe some mass parties at Easter. 

Yeh, our plans have changed as well, originally it was just going to be myself & Mrs JJ, however Miss JJ was furloughed by Easyjet in November and the whole of December, so rather than stay by herself down near Gatwick, she came home, so she'll be here for Christmas now.

We normally have at least 2 or 3 family BBQ's each year, they are always at ours, simply because we have the biggest garden so there is plenty of space, anyway none of that this year, BBQ has never been out of it's cover, really hoping that come the spring we can get a family get together.

31 minutes ago, indianajones said:

A lot of people do care what other people do which is why i posted. Especially when it involves c-19 measures. 

Its ridiculous. 

Predictions suggesting Edinburgh could be a potential hot-spot for infections over Christmas, could it be you passing on an unwanted gift or maybe receiving one?

Driving safely may be the least of your worries...

CavySlaveJambo
14 minutes ago, OBE said:

Predictions suggesting Edinburgh could be a potential hot-spot for infections over Christmas, could it be you passing on an unwanted gift or maybe receiving one?

Mid- and East Lothian too. 

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

You've just got to love models and predictions :lol:

It also says at the end of the article, 'the site also notes that in increase in cases in an area could be an increase in testing rather than an increase in transmission' 

2 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

Well people have said for months Glasgow would open the pubs before Edinburgh

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Nicola Steadman

I see she's the interim something or other within the scottish gov replacing the holidaymaker. GUM her specialty. 

30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You've just got to love models and predictions :lol:

It also says at the end of the article, 'the site also notes that in increase in cases in an area could be an increase in testing rather than an increase in transmission' 

I'm surprised people still pay attention to these modellers. They've been miles out every time and the model is only based on the data that is input.  Did those 4k daily deaths that Whitty and Vallance "modelled " ever come to fruition??

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:
  Hide contents

It was the scene when Silvio Dante took Adriana for a car ride...and then shot her...one of the heartbreaking scenes in the show.. Poor Adriana.  

Yeah I remember now, those car journeys into the wilderness 🙈

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Only in their (and Ray's) deepest, darkest fantasies.

🤣. As long as they can scare folk  they're happy.  Accountable to no-one.

Pick your choice of off-peak supermarket shopping times going ahead.  Tesco was ****ing harrowing earlier at it's normally quiet 7.30 or so time.  :(

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Heard today about one of my wife's friends and her family - they've barely been outside their own house/garden since March. They also have a 6 year old daughter. None of them, AFAIA, have medical conditions necessitating such an approach. The fear has hit them particularly hard and they're causing untold damage to their child's confidence and well-being. And yet, they'd probably be lauded as model citizens by some.

Exactly. What a sad state of affairs.  So, with the mantra of "saving lives", the real situation outwith the  political and scientific bubble is that people have actually stopped living and may actually forget how to live. And as you say, it's affecting the life chances of the 6 year old? The New Year needs to start not with tired old lockdowns that simply don't work but with an approach that revives the economy and encourages people to start living again.

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Not gonna happen, Enzo. These charlatans are about as imaginative as Craig Levein's 2019 Hearts team.

Lockdown/Hoof.

Not got the balls or brains to consider, plan and implement something better.

What's your action plan then ? 

12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Not gonna happen, Enzo. These charlatans are about as imaginative as Craig Levein's 2019 Hearts team.

Lockdown/Hoof.

Not got the balls or brains to consider, plan and implement something better.

Your balls and brains seem to have excluded the possibility that there actually isn't anything 'better' to implement.  Better in certain regards and to suit some people... yes.  Better to discover some other plan that comes without costs... highly unlikely.

It's always been the 'Kobayashi Maru'.  The no-win scenario.  They're just continuing to try to not win as best as possible.

Edited by Victorian

15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly. What a sad state of affairs.  So, with the mantra of "saving lives", the real situation outwith the  political and scientific bubble is that people have actually stopped living and may actually forget how to live. And as you say, it's affecting the life chances of the 6 year old? The New Year needs to start not with tired old lockdowns that simply don't work but with an approach that revives the economy and encourages people to start living again.

Does that apply to the rest of the world as well, or just Scotland ? 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic