Budge update on Sporting Director role

Juanjo

2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

I remember when it was announced that Levein was being relieved of his duties,  but was being kept on thinking Budge is going to wait until the storm dies down and keep him at Hearts when his contract runs out. Would anyone be surprised if he was kept on in some role 

Not in the slightest. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Thomaso

• Adam_the_legend

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BoysInMaroon87
10 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Reaction to this is laughable.  All Budge has done is clear up the roles they will be playing and the timescales involved.  

We knew Levein wasn’t leaving and we knew he would have nothing to do with the first team - confirmed.

We knew MacPhee was likely to be retained in a strategic/relationship manager role due to his contacts - confirmed.

Neither of those roles have any impact on Stendel’s ability to get on with doing a good job. Stendel’s boss is Budge, not Levein/MacPhee.  The actual story here is a positive one, confirmation that the DOF role no longer exists and that we’ve removed that unnecessary, underperforming layer of management/influence.  Sporting Director is a brand new role at the club. 

If I’m being honest, I’m more concerned about Fox and Daly still being involved with the first team.

16 hours ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Have mixed gents about this...

I can understand that we invested in the squad in summer, and getting Stendel in would have been costly. So budgets will

be tight!

Paying off more be a step too far for AB at present. And “gardening leave” is always annoying paying someone to watch daytime TV.

CL will be committed to a youth-focused role if that’s his area. And Austin has to prove he’s up to being SD or he’s replaced. 

BUT we need to let DS bring at

least one lieutenant to help him get the new approach across IMO. Possibly Some of our coaches can get on board with this too. Time will tell. 

👏 2 great posts which have eased the fear.....for now anyway. 

2 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Imagine the seethe if it turns out that CL recommended Stendel as the new manager. His detractors wouldn't know whether or not to back him lol.

You don’t need to imagine it. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s unlikely, he wasn’t involved in the process was he 🤔? His last two choices of Daly and Cathro.

Don’t need to be involved in the process to pass on ideas. 

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Is that a dig at Ann Budge 🧐 or just you being flippant to IoS

Me? Flippant?? 😳

Just now, JamboAl said:

I didn't realise I was defending him.  I didn't even realise it was lighthearted.

I was commenting on a poster's utter obsession with CL and the same repetitive crap polluting every thread

Ironic post of the day. 

Funniest post of the day. 

You're on a roll, Al. 

Go on, man. Get that hattrick. 

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure, in an ideal world I'd empty the lot of them right now including Levein, but it's pretty clear that there are financial restraints on doing this for us, I think I'd prefer it if we gave the new manager some funds for January and he brought in some players, because the position we're in right now is a relegation battle, and without new players he's going to have to work big miracles to get that shower of shite performing, fresh faces could just kick start our season for us. 

Reading some of posters on here you have to wonder if they want all the coaches punted and paid off now so that there’s no cash for players available in January and we get relegated. Just to prove them right. 

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Levein signed them all

MacPhee signed them all

It’ll be AB signed them all next

Cathro as well. Nielson coached some of them so he is to blame as well. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He even showed the new guy around Riccarton and Tynecastle as everyone else went to Kilmarnock. 

And sold the Club to him. Reliably informed that the tour and what he heard that afternoon closed the deal. Before that Saturday he had already said no once and was then persuaded to come for interview. 

2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Feel free to correct any inaccuracies.

Hickey does not have an agent. It’s his dad that represents him. Levein and his dad have a very decent relationship.

Hickey if the rumours are to be believed is the subject of interest from City with further rumours of a bid then loan deal being discussed.

Surely it makes sense for Levein to be involved in that process seeing as it appears to be between him, Hickey and father and City from the beginning?

Would have said so. 

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

They were part of the team that took 3 seasons to get out of the championship. That’s failure.

Goalpost moving. 

That wasn't even remotely part of your point, TJ. 

Regardless, they can't be held responsible for Hibs' first two hapless promotion bids. That was down to Stubbs. 

13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I agree but it would seem a large number on this thread seem to be happy with this arrangement.

It will be intersting to see what happens if Stendel doesn't seem to improve the results and style of play.

If he doesn’t the Levein lovers will be out in force after hiding behind having a go at fans, on here, that know what needs to be done. Ann Budge is fudging what needs to be done. How she ever made her fortune beats me because anybody who is not up to the job and harms the company by making decisions that put the company in danger should be sacked.

Levein is guilty.

McPhee is guilty.

Daly is guilty.

Fox is guilty.

Murray is guilty.

All this lot are guilty of gross incompetence and are still employed thanks to Ann Budge.

All these comments are my opinion and many others I’d bet.

If you think I’m bang out of order just challenge me and put your own comments on where you think I’m wrong.

Good luck with that.

Edited by mitch41

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The lad was simply to rhyme with bad. Apologies for my wordplay.

You missed the point of my post, we don’t have to be a major team to have a SD. Look at the continent, Germany, Italy, France and not just in the top divisions have this set up. They don’t believe in a manager, they feel this is old fashioned. They believe in a head coach who identifies what he wants and needs and rather than take time away from training and tactics to focus on those things the SD or DoF do it. In the countries I’ve mentioned it’s been happening since at least The 80’s and in other smaller nations (who repeatedly perform better in European competitions than Scottish teams do) most teams have had that setup since at least the mid-90’s. Rangers have that setup, Celtic have that setup. Why the hell shouldn't we have that setup?

I'll tell you why. We've tried it and it hasn't worked!

1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

When you figure out what gardening leave is and how it affects cash flow (here’s a clue, it doesn’t) then I’m all ears. 

Gardening leave can always be construed as constructive dismissal if the employee doesn’t want it. Gardening leave is typically used to save an employee”s embarrassment, get him away from work and spread the cost of the dismissal over a longer period to save cash. Levein could have refused gardening leave and demanded to have his contract paid up. 
In this case the owner has decided there are things he can do whilst running down his contract. Happens a lot and nothing odd about it. Maybe doesnt happen in football but it does in many other industries. 

1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

No doubt Levein will continue to do his best to hold us back. It's written in his double agent contract with the Hobos.

Silly post. Didn’t even make me laugh. 

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

I dont understand football either, when a club goes into admin football debts must be honoured above all others, sacked managers continue to be paid until their contract expires. This is why Levein is still here working at the youth academy as we would still be paying him anyway.

It's not like being a bus driver or a call centre operative, as I say I don't understand football it works differently to a proper business. Neither do many others understand how football works particularly at our level ie not the English Premiership who solve all problems with huge pay offs.

It is the same as bus driver or a call centre operative. Their contracts will have a notice period in it and they either work their motive if they leave and get it paid up. Football contracts are for fixed term periods with no notice periods. In both cases people are managed to their contracts. 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Feel free to correct any inaccuracies.

Hickey does not have an agent. It’s his dad that represents him. Levein and his dad have a very decent relationship.

Hickey if the rumours are to be believed is the subject of interest from City with further rumours of a bid then loan deal being discussed.

Surely it makes sense for Levein to be involved in that process seeing as it appears to be between him, Hickey and father and City from the beginning?

I am a bit lost here. Levein has nothing to do with the first team as of 6 weeks ago. Yet he is still involved in selling a first team player and in the possible recruitment of him as a loan signing?

Oh and he according to some on here will have nothing to do with recruitment for however long he remains here. 

14 minutes ago, martoon said:

Ironic post of the day. 

Funniest post of the day. 

You're on a roll, Al. 

Go on, man. Get that hattrick. 

WTF are you slavering about?

Francis Albert

Can anyone name any other team's sporting director without looking it up?

Yet we have a twice former manager of Hearts and former Leicester City and Scotland manager? 

It's bizarre.

Edited by Francis Albert

Adam_the_legend
23 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I didn't realise I was defending him.  I didn't even realise it was lighthearted.

I was commenting on a poster's utter obsession with CL and the same repetitive crap polluting every thread.

This is a thread about the new SD not CL.

Erm, CL is the new (joint) SD

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Gardening leave can always be construed as constructive dismissal if the employee doesn’t want it. Gardening leave is typically used to save an employee”s embarrassment, get him away from work and spread the cost of the dismissal over a longer period to save cash. Levein could have refused gardening leave and demanded to have his contract paid up. 
In this case the owner has decided there are things he can do whilst running down his contract. Happens a lot and nothing odd about it. Maybe doesnt happen in football but it does in many other industries. 

One of the big take aways is AB runs Hearts as a business off the pitch not as football clubs tend to be run. If we start to get success on the pitch then Almost no one will complain. Until we do she does leave herself open for some criticism for doing it that way. People often have uses elsewhere in a big business and are trusted so are moved from one position to another as an owner sees value in them. 

2 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Erm, CL is the new (joint) SD

Erm, he is not!

He is sharing the role with AM and that is on a temporary basis.

25 minutes ago, Paolo said:

There is no clear cut indication, but without knowing what ‘a bit more than that’ is whilst he is co-Sporting Director, it is a possibility. 

Granted but let's not go on about it as if it was a fact, because it most certainly is not.  It's been repeated by a few posters since last night and now a few are taking it as gospel when its anything but. 

She was fairly definite when talking about McPhee and recruitment no mention at all of Levein working with him on it though. 

Adam_the_legend
11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

So when I was talking about gardening leave and you were pointing out cash flow as a reason not to you knew it wasn’t actually a valid reason.  Good to know. 

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It is the same as bus driver or a call centre operative. Their contracts will have a notice period in it and they either work their motive if they leave and get it paid up. Football contracts are for fixed term periods with no notice periods. In both cases people are managed to their contracts. 

I can fully understand that is is normal that when a First Team Coach is sacked the Club must pay him up to the expiration of his contract.

Can you point me in the direction of another football Club where they have sacked a First Team Coach and appointed him joint interim Director of Football! 🤔

15 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

If he doesn’t the Levein lovers will be out in force after hiding behind having a go at fans, on here, that know what needs to be done. Ann Budge is fudging what needs to be done. How she ever made her fortune beats me because anybody who is not up to the job and harms the company by making decisions that put the company in danger should be sacked.

Levein is guilty.

McPhee is guilty.

Daly is guilty.

Fox is guilty.

Murray is guilty.

All this lot are guilty of gross incompetence and are still employed thanks to Ann Budge.

All these comments are my opinion and many others I’d bet.

If you think I’m bang out of order just challenge me and put your own comments on where you think I’m wrong.

Good luck with that.

Good to see you've managed to wrest control of your account back from whoever had it the last couple of days. Back to good old doom and gloom

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

WTF are you slavering about?

No slavering. 

You, JamboAl, didn't realise you were defending Levein? 

That's funny. 

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Erm, he is not!

So he's joint SD. Temporary, or otherwise, he's joint SD. 

Hattrick complete, Al. 

4 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

No, you’re right, the performance of our DOF has been wonderful, all these fantastic players he’s signed and our great form over the last 3 years. So that’s why we have been so bad, there were too many “distractions”. Have a word. Rewarding such failure is not a smart thing to do and I hope it doesn’t come back to bite us...again. 

He’s not the long term solution but a stop gap. My point was when he concentrated on off-field duties he done well mostly. As a manager he was crap. We all said at the beginning of the season the squad was the best since 2006. With strength in depth. His coaching didn’t bring it out of them, but that doesn’t mean they’re bad players. If Stendel gets a tune out of them this will prove this.

I’d feel more comfortable about any future appointments if the their friends spent months/years making disparaging comments about the personality of those currently in the job, whilst promoting their pals. Shame Stendel never did this. :( 

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You've never mentioned this before.

Oh sorry.....that's because he was useless at his job. There, I've said it twice now 😋

Adam_the_legend
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Erm, he is not!

When did AB say that? Did she specifically use the word temporary or interim to describe CL or AM’s new roles? In her EEN interview she went out of her way to leave the door open for this remaining permanent. 

4 hours ago, jambali said:

not in my opinion

With all due respect your opinion means nothing when the facts make the case on their own. That combination stormed the Championship, finished 3rd in first time back in top flight and when the trio ceased we were 2nd. You can call that a failure if you like but you’ll be probably wrong.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Erm, he is not!

So he is then, even if it is temporary (for now). 

20 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'll tell you why. We've tried it and it hasn't worked!

So every team that has ever had a SD/head Coach relationship that has not had success is a failure because of that setup? Not the personell within that setup? Right...

Francis Albert

Is the reason we can't afford to offload Levein immediately something to do with the Hearts Board overseeing an increase in the new stand cost from an estimated £11m to about £22m and still counting? Perhaps another reason for our no blame culture?

Adam_the_legend
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He’s not the long term solution but a stop gap. My point was when he concentrated on off-field duties he done well mostly. As a manager he was crap. We all said at the beginning of the season the squad was the best since 2006. With strength in depth. His coaching didn’t bring it out of them, but that doesn’t mean they’re bad players. If Stendel gets a tune out of them this will prove this.

Can you point me to where AB has said this. Anyone saying this is 100% temporary and CL will definitely not be in the position in 12 months has reading comprehension issues. 

The Real Maroonblood
43 minutes ago, martoon said:

How do you manage to get so enraged by the slightest, even lighthearted, criticism of Levein?

How do you manage to fanatically defend a man who's such a persistent feck up and lame duck? 

Genuine questions, man. 

:laugh2:

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Is the reason we can't afford to offload Levein immediately something to do with the Hearts Board overseeing an increase in the new stand cost from an estimated £11m to about £22m and still counting? Perhaps another reason for our no blame culture?

22million?

Adam_the_legend
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

So every team that has ever had a SD/head Coach relationship that has not had success is a failure because of that setup? Not the personell within that setup? Right...

I would LOVE is to try new personnel in the SD role. Alas, it wasn’t to be...

7 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

When did AB say that? Did she specifically use the word temporary or interim to describe CL or AM’s new roles? In her EEN interview she went out of her way to leave the door open for this remaining permanent. 

She went out of her way to say she will be reviewing the situation and IF she appoints anyone she will will have to sit down and talk with CL (and/or AM) which wouldn't be necessary if he was the new SD (or joint)

Edited by JamboAl

Just now, Adam_the_legend said:

Can you point me to where AB has said this. Anyone saying this is 100% temporary and CL will definitely not be in the position in 12 months has reading comprehension issues. 

“ There is no timeframe on this....”

That’s a quote !

Anyone thinking they’re away at the end of the season could be wrong !

40 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Stendel shouldn’t need to improve the coaches he should have his own team in place because time is crucial to Hearts getting out of this mess. Not one person has been sacked just moved by Ann Budge which will only hamper Hearts and Daniel Stendel. Levein, McPhee, Daly, Fox plus Murray should of been shown the door instead we are left with the guilty, incompetent men who have got us into this mess. Ann’s golden boys have escaped justice once again.

Both Levein and McPhee have been relieved of their duties and put to work elsewhere in the organisation. Jury is clearly out for  a few weeks on Daly, Fox and Gallagher. Just give it time. I’m amused at the heat that Fox, Daly and McPhee get when our keeper coach has presided over four duds in a row, Hamilton, Bobby, Doyle and Joel. Surely he has been the key man when it’s been time to hire keepers? 

23 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That would have been a pretty shitty thing for Levein to do considering all Ann Budge has done for him by bringing him in from the wilderness after his Scotland debacle.

With the complete arse he made of the job he should have been happy to accept gardening leave and slink away.

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

She went out of her way to say she will be reviewing the situation and IF she appoints anyone she will will have to sit down and talk with Cl (and/or AM) which wouldn't be necessary if he was the new SD (or joint)

Ok, so when you write temporary and bold it and underline it you actually should have written ‘maybe temporary’

Adam_the_legend
3 minutes ago, Boab said:

“ There is no timeframe on this....”

That’s a quote !

Anyone thinking they’re away at the end of the season could be wrong !

Thank you 🙏 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

"He will not return to his previous director of football role and, that being so, will step down from the board. 

"He will, however, see out his contract, which runs until the end of the season, working closely with the executive management team in continuing to develop and improve the structure of the backroom and youth operations within the development."

Pretty clear. Then for the future:

"Meanwhile, I’m looking for one person to do all of it. I’m not setting a timeframe on it.

She also laid out what McPhee and Levein's priorities are until that person comes in. Mostly working on stuff behind the scenes, eg organising tournaments. McPhee helping with recruitment red tape etc.

Who do you think should do the SD and other jobs if we everyone leaves right now? Stendel would have no support.

The other things is do folk honestly not think Stendel doesn't know and agree with this whole approach?

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

:cornette:

Vote Monster Raving Loony.