Daniel Stendel

Martin_T

10 minutes ago, naeclue said:

Quoting from above:

Barnsley insist they are not to blame for holding up Daniel Stendel's appointment as Hearts manager.

The Tynecastle club were expected to end their five week search for Craig Levein's replacement by appointing the 45-year-old earlier this week.

And Barnsley Chief Executive Paul Conway has now entered into correspondence with the Edinburgh club in a quest to resolve a situation described by owner Ann Budge as 'tortuous'.

Surprised at the Hearts reluctance to thrash the matter out quickly by telephone, Conway believes a six figure claim is a red herring for other potential issues.

Speaking to Sportsmail from the United States last night he said: 'I would be surprised if we were to blame for any hold-up.

'It doesn't make any logical sense to me because if we were the only issue one of two things would happen.

'Either the club would just do it and say, 'we can resolve this post-signing.' Or we could just work it out over the phone.

'So I'm surprised that we are being cited as the issue because it doesn't make logical sense to me.' Stendel is keen to bring trusted coaches Chris Stern and Dale Tonge to Edinburgh. Despite both being under contract to Barnsley until the end of the season Conway has offered to waive any compensation payment for either.

Hearts have responded to the Barnsley claim by letter - with the English club now responding by the same method.

Interm Hearts boss Austin MacPhee now expects to remain in charge for this weekend's meeting with Motherwell, predicting a conclusion to the saga early next week.

Expressing bemusement that the matter should take so long Conway added: 'We have been involved in this kind of situation at Barnsley four times. I have been on both sides of it.

'It usually gets resolved reasonably quickly with a couple of phone calls, so that's why I would be surprised if it was just us who had to be taken care of.

'If Hearts want to engage in written correspondence then that's up to them.

'Is compensation to us an issue? For sure. But we are not negotiating a trade accord - if they want to resolve this quickly we are here.'

Sounds like things aren't going the way he was expecting and the bully isn't happy . 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• GinRummy

• Agentjambo

• davemclaren

11 minutes ago, kila said:

Budge is sending letters instead of phoning or email? 😐

And that’s a problem why? 

11 minutes ago, kila said:

What’s the betting Barnsley send back 2nd class.

Christmas mail and all that!! We will get their reply after the year :thumbsup: 

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

Barnsley softening their stance a bit?

He seems to be trying to kid on he never had a hard stance in the first place. The letter, which was made available to the media, says different.

14 minutes ago, kila said:

Maybe she’s been advised not to resolve a six figure compensation dispute on WhatsApp.

3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Barnsley softening their stance a bit?

probably because they have no case here? 

As for others saying just sign him and lets deal with them in court, no thanks. 

6 weeks is awful long time, but looking at who they have interviewed and tried to interview it makes to get it turn properly. I think its only been 3 league games tho with the international break, won 1, lost 2. You guys were desperate to get rid of Levein no matter if there was a back up or not so don't understand what the **** now folk are moaning at. 

imagine if we had just hired McCann

1 minute ago, super_vlad said:

probably because they have no case here? 

As for others saying just sign him and lets deal with them in court, no thanks. 

6 weeks is awful long time, but looking at who they have interviewed and tried to interview it makes to get it turn properly. I think its only been 3 league games tho with the international break, won 1, lost 2. You guys were desperate to get rid of Levein no matter if there was a back up or not so don't understand what the **** now folk are moaning at. 

imagine if we had just hired McCann

4 league games. W1D1L2

Interesting to see he claims the two assistants are still under contract as well but they're happy to waive any 'compensation' for them if we can sort out DS. Makes it more complicated if we decided just to 'see them in court' as they could argue its about all three of them. Sounding like there may well have been a fee written into his contract. 

Francis Albert
9 hours ago, Victorian said:

Why does this not surprise me?

Maybe the place you're in a queue at can't support any more staff.     Maybe the staffing is adequate for the vast majority of the time and it was unusually busy.

I do of course realise that such concepts probably sail right over your ignorant,  sanctimonious head.     Write them one of your complaining emails though.    Hopefully they'll tell you to bugger off.

The queue at my bank branch is rarely less than a dozen people often more.Nat West bank could support more staff. In fact there are more staff wandering around trying to sell things to make the bank more profitable than it already is while customers wait for anything up to half an hour.What is ignorant and sanctimonious about me being a bit passed off by that?

Another example is my half hour wait in a huge queue at the first game this season to get the ticket office to get my ST to work when it failed at the turnstiles. It failed again and eventually someone let me through and I had to phone later to sort it out.

If you cheerfully accept paying for crap service then I admire your tolerance though that quality apparently does not extend to " Ignorant and sanctimonious" people who don't share your views.

8 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

I hope this guy is worth all the hassle! 6 months or so in charge of hannover and sacked. One good season at Barnsley. 10 games into the next season then sacked! 

Nothing I can see worth breaking the bank over. Hoping he'll prove me wrong.

I think at Hanover it was a case of him filling a gap rather than being their preferred candidate hence him moving on.

At Barnsley he wanted a real go at the Championship but our owners werent prepared to back his demands for experience and he had key players sold under him. This obviously led to a rift and whatever happened happened.  As I've said before he's an ambitious bloke and wants things his way. One things for certain he is a good coach, wants to win and develop the players and will certainly connect with the fans. His English isnt the best but his assistant Stern is fluent.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
21 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

The faux outrage about CL giving him a tour of the facilities kind of sums up our support at the moment.

Really isn’t that big of a deal and Michael Stewart fishing for likes and attention just tops it off.

Agreed - there are not many people around at the moment that could sell the club better. People saying it’s embarrassing? Stendel must think it’s pretty ****ing amazing that the sacked manager is prepared to do what he did. Faux rage about this is puerile

20 hours ago, Barack said:

Hearts flirting with relegation. Manager issues. Arseholes on the terraces.

A production company's dream.

It’s going to be great TV - for better or worse. 

19 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

no not good enough for Stoke they both went there in the summer, the keeper was our captain and Lindsey was quality at that level, they’re not getting a look in this season. 

Will be interesting what Stendel does - although I’ve had a pop at the players the last couple of games (rightly so IMO) I still think we have a squad of trained well, fit and properly motivated will go on a run of results.

18 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

High press with Berra,Whelan and Damour and Uche 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The latter 3 could work on that set up. I have seen Uche absolutely riddled with sweat after chasing everything down in games - our 1-0 Lafferty game against Celtic for example. We have a good core of players that can do this.

17 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

I just hope everyone is patient with Stendel and his team when he does arrive. Watching over the past year, I would maybe only keep the following if we're serious about a top 3 finish next season. 

Smith, Hickey, Halkett, Souttar, Whelan (although I think he might retire), Haring, Meshino (if we can extend his loan) and Washington.  

I don't see the point in having Naismith even though he's a fantastic player - he's getting injured so frequently now. 

I can't believe we have three keepers and they're all so bad. 

Stendel is going to need at least two good transfer windows to reshape us into what he's looking for. The lack of effort, aggression, pace etc on show last night seems to be the opposite of what he wants his teams to do. 

Naismith is crucial And will work in a higher energy set up  - it’s not exactly his fault he was completely emptied and got no ref protection during the week

17 hours ago, bazman said:

There's nothing to stop us getting our act together over the next few months and having a run in the cup. 

Correct - if Stendel gets in and works well quickly we have w good shot at the cup IMO

17 hours ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

I think the majority of us now accept that it’s going to be at least a year before any manager can change sufficient personnel to have an impact. The squad needs absolutely gutted. That’ll take at least 2 transfer windows. Those wanting a massive improvement might need to show more patience than they do on JKB. Getting shot of Wighton, Damoir and Clare needs to be a priority in my opinion. They’re no where near the level required to wear the jersey.

Disagree. Some of these players - whilst I think they have let themselves down - if they get motivated and get their act together will push us on.

53 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I could be very naive, but can hearts not simply appoint Stendel et al, let them get on with the job and fight the legal bits as an aside? I appreciate legalities can be very intricate but can they be fought separately? Hard to know without seeing finer details but really frustrating 

Yes - I agree with this. Sign him and fight the compo battle later

26 minutes ago, kila said:

Is she? You believe that Barnsley shop front?

26 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Sounds like things aren't going the way he was expecting and the bully isn't happy 

Who's  he bullying? 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
15 minutes ago, troonmaroon said:

Interesting to see he claims the two assistants are still under contract as well but they're happy to waive any 'compensation' for them if we can sort out DS. Makes it more complicated if we decided just to 'see them in court' as they could argue its about all three of them. Sounding like there may well have been a fee written into his contract. 

He’s being a complete arsehole - but it does prove how complicated it is for us to get this done.

Budge deserves a bit of a break here.

9 hours ago, ramrod said:

I get that but there is absolutely zero chance we are even starting negotiations if that's the case and if it is he won't be the next Hearts manager . 

As a guess or reckon it will be somewhere between 50k to 100k we will eventually pay Barnsley. 

Yes, buyout clauses are there to be negotiated. I’m sure it will be less than the rumour but I’d be surprised if they are arguing over £50k 

I take it folk on here, reading the Daily Mail and taking it in, are then making the assumption that the letters (if letters even are being written) are being carried down to the nearest post box and sent on their way with a second class stamp?  Folk do realise that you can email letters, right?

Edited by Haken

9 hours ago, andy65 said:

not sure that anyone would be unaware of such elements in a contract of employment- it’s surely a duty of your rep (agent) to make you fully aware of what you are signing and you should want to know. If not the agent can be found to be negligent in their responsibilities. If they have a vested interest in any sell on and then hide said details that’s misrepresentation 

Agents get paid by the clubs nowadays not the players to avoid the trap you mention. I’m pretty sure very few players/managers know the fine print in their contracts. They just want to get on playing/managing. 

south morocco
1 hour ago, DarioHMFC said:

Very costly if it ends up going to court though. The club are 100% doing the right thing. 

Exactly. It’s frustrating but hopefully worthwhile. We are doing it right.

3 minutes ago, Haken said:

I take it folk on here, reading the Daily Mail and taking it in, are then making the assumption that the letters (if letters even are being written) are being carried down to the nearest post box and sent on their way with a second class stamp?  Folk do realise that you can email letters, right?

Really? :lol: 

GorgieRules22
8 minutes ago, Haken said:

You better tell Ann that then as we’re entering the 6th week with the three stooges taking the team.

Just now, GorgieRules22 said:

You better tell Ann that then as we’re entering the 6th week with the three stooges taking the team.

Do you want Stendel or Stuart McCall?

10 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Have penned a quick note.  It's in the post.

29 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

lol

who do you think mate?

I'm no sure that's why I'm  asking the question.

If stendel still under contract then barnsley have a say in what happens

If he's not then we should be able to sign him 

No sure how that equates to bullying

44 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

I think at Hanover it was a case of him filling a gap rather than being their preferred candidate hence him moving on.

At Barnsley he wanted a real go at the Championship but our owners werent prepared to back his demands for experience and he had key players sold under him. This obviously led to a rift and whatever happened happened.  As I've said before he's an ambitious bloke and wants things his way. One things for certain he is a good coach, wants to win and develop the players and will certainly connect with the fans. His English isnt the best but his assistant Stern is fluent.

Thanks for this. 

You guys seem to have really liked him and had you playing good football so that sounds promising for us.

25 minutes ago, Haken said:

What???

Electronic mail???

Jeezo

GorgieRules22
4 minutes ago, Haken said:

Have penned a quick note.  It's in the post.

Good lad, I’d hate to look back in May and realise just how damaging going 6 weeks without a manager actually was in the middle of a season.

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, kila said:

I'd imagine because she doesn't trust this Conway goon. Keep it professional and classically Edinburgh Solicitor and get everything on paper. I've no problem at all with this approach.

Hope it gets resolved quickly  for you . We waited 6 weeks after the separation to get our new manager and know the feeling, especially when it comes to being in a relegation battle. 

I think all.us Barnsley fans wish him well. 

The Real Maroonblood
44 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

He’s being a complete arsehole - but it does prove how complicated it is for us to get this done.

Budge deserves a bit of a break here.

This.

6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I'd imagine because she doesn't trust this Conway goon. Keep it professional and classically Edinburgh Solicitor and get everything on paper. I've no problem at all with this approach.

Don't blame her, but I hope it isn't actually snail mail and is emails with PDF attachments!

I just want Stendel to be announced now, no more delays :(

Ainsley Harriott

The club have said next week and tbr earliest so not sure why people are getting all worked up expecting anything soon.

Walter Bishop

Barnsley chief executive Paul Conway is bemused at the suggestion the English Championship outfit are holding up the appointment of Daniel Stendel as Hearts manager, suggesting the matter could be resolved by telephone instead of correspondence by letter and hinting that his club's six-figure compensation demand for their former boss is a red herring for other issues. 

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

The club have said next week and tbr earliest so not sure why people are getting all worked up expecting anything soon.

Spot on, already reported that it will be next week but hey lets get worried and stressed whilst we wait 😊

16 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Same here. Surely anyone in any job knows that words can be twisted and people can claim they said something they didn’t or vice-versa unless there’s official documentation proof? (Particularly in the self-employed game let me tell you!) Conway may be willing to sort over the phone but what’s to stop him giving the impression to Budge all is good to go and after appointment launch a legal challenge anyway. It’s the American way after all. Budge by using couriered postage or secure email will have documented proof of correspondence which safeguards Hearts (and Stendel) against any potential future litigation. As frustrating as the wait is Budge is entirely in the right here and those against her on this are in the wrong.

Barnsley and Stendel are effectively going through a divorce. Budge is merely making it so that if Stendel moves on there’s not going to be a claim on the assets later. Paperwork means it’s sorted at point of divorce, rather than ‘amicable’ phone conversations leading to a claim on a property or half the pension a year into the new marriage - if you get the analogy. 

Edited by BackOfTheNet

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, adam1998 said:

Spot on, already reported that it will be next week but hey lets get worried and stressed whilst we wait 😊

The wife has noticed that my alcohol intake as increased recently.🍺

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Jim White on national radio yesterday spoke to the Macclesfield owner who assured him this weekends game would go ahead as planned and that the club was stable and all monies paid. Three minutes after the call ended the Macclesfield players sent Jim a message saying they hadn’t been paid and the game at the weekend was off as they hadn’t trained for a month. I wouldn’t trust any of the chairmen, of any of the clubs, south of the border. Budge still has my trust. 

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Same here. Surely anyone in any job knows that words can be twisted and people can claim they said something they didn’t or vice-versa unless there’s official documentation proof? (Particularly in the self-employed game let me tell you!) Conway may be willing to sort over the phone but what’s to stop him giving the impression to Budge all is good to go and after appointment launch a legal challenge anyway. It’s the American way after all. Budge by using couriered postage or secure email will have documented proof of correspondence which safeguards Hearts (and Stendel) against anyone potential future litigation. As frustrating as the wait is Budge is entirely in the right here and those against her on this are in the wrong.

Barnsley and Stendel are effectively going through a divorce. Budge is merely making it so that if Stendel moves on there’s not going to be a claim on the assets later. Paperwork means it’s sorted at point of divorce, rather than ‘amicable’ phone conversations leading to a claim on a property or half the pension a year into the new marriage - if you get the analogy. 

When you read a previous Barnsley Club statement that says Barnsley and Stendel have “separated” then it’s perfectly justifiable Hearts are doing this via a legal and verifiable route. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we've deliberately delayed things by a day or so. 

That way DS gets a full week of training with the squad and a home tie Vs St J, rather then two days and then Fir Park. 

Let McPhee take the hit.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Same here. Surely anyone in any job knows that words can be twisted and people can claim they said something they didn’t or vice-versa unless there’s official documentation proof? (Particularly in the self-employed game let me tell you!) Conway may be willing to sort over the phone but what’s to stop him giving the impression to Budge all is good to go and after appointment launch a legal challenge anyway. It’s the American way after all. Budge by using couriered postage or secure email will have documented proof of correspondence which safeguards Hearts (and Stendel) against any potential future litigation. As frustrating as the wait is Budge is entirely in the right here and those against her on this are in the wrong.

Yip, good analogy.

Everyone is cool right now but if things went really south later in the season, this six weeks would be cited as the reason for the downfall. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen of course. 
We just have to hope the players can pull out a performance on Sat and get the guy in for the Saints game.

10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The wife has noticed that my alcohol intake as increased recently.🍺

Ha ha ha ha brilliant

No idea why folk are wetting their pants. Budge came out and said 2 things, the appointment will take 4-6 weeks (its been 5), we will take our time getting the RIGHT appointment. 

I'm pretty sure this would only be "resolved quickly by telephone" if Ann phones up to say we'll pay whatever they want. This Conway guy is absolutely at it and getting everything down in writing is the correct approach. 

15 hours ago, stirlo said:

But surely if Stendel decides to take another job Barnsley are not due to pay him anything further on the basis that in that event it is effectively him that is terminating the contract as such?

Did Hearts not understand that he had already agreed a pay off with Barnsley?

If he was still on the payroll and it is difficult to see how they can claim they lost an asset. He effectively had a non-functional job at Barnsley.

6 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

I'm pretty sure this would only be "resolved quickly by telephone" if Ann phones up to say we'll pay whatever they want. This Conway guy is absolutely at it and getting everything down in writing is the correct approach. 

correct, hes trying to show the fans hes not a complete mug...................he will fail miserably

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

The queue at my bank branch is rarely less than a dozen people often more.Nat West bank could support more staff. In fact there are more staff wandering around trying to sell things to make the bank more profitable than it already is while customers wait for anything up to half an hour.What is ignorant and sanctimonious about me being a bit passed off by that?

Another example is my half hour wait in a huge queue at the first game this season to get the ticket office to get my ST to work when it failed at the turnstiles. It failed again and eventually someone let me through and I had to phone later to sort it out.

If you cheerfully accept paying for crap service then I admire your tolerance though that quality apparently does not extend to " Ignorant and sanctimonious" people who don't share your views.

In my first ever job we had a client who moaned about everything, I mean, everything.  Complained even when nothing wrong, I.e expected as a bit more elderly should jump queue etc and it was staff's fault.

Got to the stage no-one wanted to serve him and started making mistakes some of the time.

And as in a local small town it was known to happen in pretty much every retailer, service provider.

I'm unsure whether he died miserable or masocistically happy.

• davemclaren locked this topic