*** Heart of Midlothian v Rangers (League Cup Semi Final) Official Match Thread ***

kila

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

My view is that no one in this league outside the obvious can look good against them. 

We drew with them less than 2 weeks ago. They are a better team but in a one off game they aren’t infallible by any matter of means 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Bazzas right boot

• Morgan

3 minutes ago, Guffers said:

Of course not Spoleto.. I had no expectation of a result today. I understand your point and totally agree with that view. Their first team against what we could cobble together on low confidence. I’m not throwing my toys but some of those guys out there were extremely poor today regardless of our position.

I know where you're coming from Guffers, we're all upset. I just think the response is way over the top. 

If Macphee had put an attacking team out today we would likely have been beaten by 6 or 7.

3 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

I know where you're coming from Guffers, we're all upset. I just think the response is way over the top. 

If Macphee had put an attacking team out today we would likely have been beaten by 6 or 7.

it’s not a case of an attacking team. 

it’s not even a case of MacPhee. 

it’s a case of turning up at a sf and failing to do the basics. 

Edited by GinRummy

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

1 goal in our last 6 games. 

So are you talking about playing against Rangers or everybody? I'm talking about playing against them since that's what the thread is about and beyond that their other half too. No one in this league is going to look good against them. That's a fact that isn't going to change no matter who picks the team.

Anywhere else on the pitch, that is a foul.  It makes no difference that it was in the penalty box, except that the punishment is harsher.  He clips Uche , it is a clear foul and it should have been a penalty.  The reason it wasn't has nothing to do with interpretation and everything to do with the incompetence of Scottish referees.

4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

We drew with them less than 2 weeks ago. They are a better team but in a one off game they aren’t infallible by any matter of means 

Yes in a one off they can be beaten but not as a habit. You think Livi will be beating Celtic habitually? I don't.

manaliveits105

There was no way Beaton was going to stand in way of an uglies final and he was up to his usual tricks to ensure we weren’t going to get in the game

So are you talking about playing against Rangers or everybody? I'm talking about playing against them since that's what the thread is about and beyond that their other half too. No one in this league is going to look good against them. That's a fact that isn't going to change no matter who picks the team.

it’s not a fact. We looked ok against them two weeks ago. St Mirren looked ok against them and narrowly lost 1-0. 

I would have accepted the defeat if the players had given their all and left nothing on the pitch 

do you think the hearts players done that today?

18 minutes ago, Jambo66 said:

First of all, it has to be said that we were very poor today and our defending was, at times, appalling - particularly for the first 2 goals.  We are also playing with a complete lack of confidence.  In truth, that is understandable given our form this season.

However, once again we have seen the fundamental problem with Scottish football writ large.  McLean gets booked in the first half for a challenge that did not appear from the pictures to involve any contact with the defender's face.  He then had to be substituted for his own good after playing on after the whistle and getting a completely unnecessary talking to from Beaton.  We then see a succession of challenges which are worse than McLean's and which result in only free kicks - especially Morelos and one by possibly Helander(?) in the first half.  In the second half Beaton decides to randomly book Naismith after a bunch of Sevco players start pushing and shoving after Naismith is fouled.  Finally, Defoe only gets a yellow card for an elbow in the face which really should have been red.

To cap it all, we also have a stonewall penalty not given after 76 minutes.  Now, I'm not suggesting that makes any difference to the final result, or even that we would have scored a penalty.  However, that is not the point.  2 goals down with 13/14 minutes left, we have a better chance than 3 goals down.

As I said at the beginning, we weren't good enough today.  However, all the little decisions (and some big ones) went the way of Sevco.  I foolishly thought that the demise of the Cheats of Govan might have changed Scottish football for the better.  It did not and I am resigned to the fact that it never will.  All I really have left is the hope that Sevco never manage to stop Celtic from winning titles and Cups and they eventually go bust again.  Of course that it pretty pointless too since the GFA will find a way to ensure that Scotland's shame can just start again.

What a good post.  The ref was panicking after 20 minutes and started giving rangers everything.  It's just hopeless.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

It was a pen after looking at it 2 or 3 times. Uche falling down like he'd been hit by a missile counted against him.

The old: "he's too strong to be falling over" misconception.

In football, if you don't fall down, you never get a free kick or a penalty.  As a result, footballers have to throw themselves to the ground screaming like bairns.

It was a pen after looking at it 2 or 3 times. Uche falling down like he'd been hit by a missile counted against him.

The old: "he's too strong to be falling over" misconception.

Correct. I think Uche anticipated the contact and went down before it was made. That was the problem. If he had stayed on his feet and allowed it to happen naturally then it was a penalty 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

it’s not a case of an attacking team. 

it’s not even a case of MacPhee. 

it’s a case of turning up at a sf and failing to do the basics. 

Taking into account the quality of the opposition, the morale of the Hearts team, the number of players out injured, TWO more injuries, club in turmoil .......

So now there's an embarrassing Allan like incident involving Naismith doing the rounds.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

it’s not a fact. We looked ok against them two weeks ago. St Mirren looked ok against them and narrowly lost 1-0. 

I would have accepted the defeat if the players had given their all and left nothing on the pitch 

I think they were caught on an off day two weeks ago. It's unrealistic to expect anything but being beaten by such a gulf in quality. They do the same thing to everybody in the league most of the time. Hearts are no different in that respect.

Just now, Spoleto said:

Taking into account the quality of the opposition, the morale of the Hearts team, the number of players out injured, TWO more injuries, club in turmoil .......

And all down to the very same man you have spent your life defending 🙄

Next point please 

Aye, I know. But watch Uche again. Was rather...dramatic. Might have given the scoreline a bit of respectability, but that was the only way we'd score today, sadly.

Like this?

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

And all down to the very same man you have spent your life defending 🙄

Next point please 

Of course you are spot on. 

CL is. responsible for Rangers having better players than us, every injury we've experienced over the last year and a bit, and for Scottish referees bias. 

You're spot on!

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

So now there's an embarrassing Allan like incident involving Naismith doing the rounds.

I think they were caught on an off day two weeks ago. It's unrealistic to expect anything but being beaten by such a gulf in quality. They do the same thing to everybody in the league most of the time. Hearts are no different in that respect.

good you ignored a straight question. 

just for clarity.  Rewatch the game today then watch the defeat in the Scottish cup final last season. 

Aye, I know. But watch Uche again. Was rather...dramatic. Might have given the scoreline a bit of respectability, but that was the only way we'd score today, sadly.

The job of the referee is not to decide whether or not a player going down has dramatic merit.  Hiw job is to apply the laws of the game.  I have watched it several times and the only salient fact is the foul on Uche.  He was fouled and that is clear as day.  I would not have complained for a moment if an incident like that resulted in a penalty against us.  Against Sevco, you just don't get decisions like that.

47 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I didn't. I knew it was going to be our turn for a hammering today and said so to fellow Jambos and a couple of Hibbys in the pub last night. Still, least they managed to score a couple of goals and showed at least a wee bit of pride. Others have said that what do you expect with the players we have available? Well...how about a bit of fight, pride and not hiding? Clare, Bozanic, McLean, Wighton all had a chance to put themselves into the limelight but proved two things really, our scouting is an embarrassment and our fitness levels are way below the level needed. Not on the same subject but I also believe our youth academy is less than fruitful no matter how good Levein thought it was. Cochrane showed promise when he first got into the team, that was two years ago, McDonald's not been given much, if any, game-time and Irving looks like he is Championship level along with most of the others that have been brought in over the last few years. They'll have careers at lower League level. Hickey looked very promising when he came in but I now worry that with him playing out of position his confidence is starting to wear down. Been at fault a lot recently but I don't blame him. Still has stacks of ability but gets caught out almost all the time now. The left-back situation has now become a joke. The amount of players that have played there is ridiculous and why he (Levein) thought signing someone who hadn't kicked a ball in over two years was a good idea i'll never know. Most of that squad isn't fit to wear a maroon jersey. Cheers Craig, you learned nothing from the Oshaniwa/Samon/Martin and other signings and have left the club in a shambles with players like Damour and Naismith on four-year deals and "projects" like Clare, Wighton Mulraney.  great work that man.

You obviously don't watch the young players play and yet you are dismissing them as lower level players. In pre season McDonald was outstanding, remember the liquid football comment, all came through him, press said he was worth the entrance money...the managers comment, he needs to learn to defend...that is the problem. Levein wanted to setup to not lose, instead of win and that suffocates creative players.

The introduction of 30+ players, 95% of whom are average at best didn't help the young players in any way, it stifled them when they should have been playing and progressing. In the reserves McDonald must have scored in every game, and probably created most of the goals but that still wasn't enough for CL to put him into the team. Harry Cochrane had a great start to his career but the same thing has happened, a bucket load of players brought in that blocked his way to the team. Hickey is a decent player, not great and all this talk of millions in transfer money is pie in the sky. He has probably had 3 or 4 decent games, the rest....well pretty much like the rest of the team...average.

Look at Motherwell, brought in Hastie\Turnbull and stuck with them, had faith in their abilities and they have flourished...Hamilton\Aberdeen doing the same...

We have very very good young players but if the manager doesn't have the nerve to play them then they will go.

good you ignored a straight question. 

just for clarity.  Rewatch the game today then watch the defeat in the Scottish cup final last season. 

What question did I ignore?

1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

Of course you are spot on. 

CL is. responsible for Rangers having better players than us, every injury we've experienced over the last year and a bit, and for Scottish referees bias. 

You're spot on!

Interesting you leave out the low morale and club in turmoil peace from your previous post 

Selective posting Spoleto 

Gorgie Boys are in town.
21 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

I don't rate Maclean at all and was unhappy that we signed him in the first place.

In saying that I think the personal abuse on him is shocking and typical off the troll like behaviour of some "supporters".

His yellow card was VERY soft and his talking to after closing down Macgregor (which wasn't a foul) was simply a ploy by Beaton to allow hime to be sent off at the next opportunity. 

Meanwhile Morelos has 6,7,8 fouls and Beaton does nothing. 

It's not a level playing field in more ways than 

You're something special 

7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Beaton was crap. But bar Uche's penalty claim, he did us a favour by not sending MacLean off, imo. Easily could have been a 2nd yellow. Especially with him.

Beaton was the least of our troubles, mate.

Have to say Macleans first yellow was nonsense and Beatons talking to Maclean was nonsense. This forced Macphee into making an unnecessary substitution.

Gorgie Boys are in town.
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

Interesting you leave out the low morale and club in turmoil peace from your previous post 

Troll.  Ignore

Just now, Spoleto said:

Have to say Macleans first yellow was nonsense and Beatons talking to Maclean was nonsense. This forced Macphee into making an unnecessary substitution.

100% spot on.  And that is the point about the bias in Scottish refereeing.  as a direct result of Beaton's officiating, we have to make a substitution.

3 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Yeah. I'll lay the responsibility for that with "supporters" like you.

24 minutes ago, Jambo66 said:

First of all, it has to be said that we were very poor today and our defending was, at times, appalling - particularly for the first 2 goals.  We are also playing with a complete lack of confidence.  In truth, that is understandable given our form this season.

However, once again we have seen the fundamental problem with Scottish football writ large.  McLean gets booked in the first half for a challenge that did not appear from the pictures to involve any contact with the defender's face.  He then had to be substituted for his own good after playing on after the whistle and getting a completely unnecessary talking to from Beaton.  We then see a succession of challenges which are worse than McLean's and which result in only free kicks - especially Morelos and one by possibly Helander(?) in the first half.  In the second half Beaton decides to randomly book Naismith after a bunch of Sevco players start pushing and shoving after Naismith is fouled.  Finally, Defoe only gets a yellow card for an elbow in the face which really should have been red.

To cap it all, we also have a stonewall penalty not given after 76 minutes.  Now, I'm not suggesting that makes any difference to the final result, or even that we would have scored a penalty.  However, that is not the point.  2 goals down with 13/14 minutes left, we have a better chance than 3 goals down.

As I said at the beginning, we weren't good enough today.  However, all the little decisions (and some big ones) went the way of Sevco.  I foolishly thought that the demise of the Cheats of Govan might have changed Scottish football for the better.  It did not and I am resigned to the fact that it never will.  All I really have left is the hope that Sevco never manage to stop Celtic from winning titles and Cups and they eventually go bust again.  Of course that it pretty pointless too since the GFA will find a way to ensure that Scotland's shame can just start again.

Only in Scotland would semis and finals be routinely given to referees who support one of the teams involved. The bias is so extreme that the SFA are afraid to appoint a neutral referee who supports the other OF, and so will appoint a Rangers fan instead...

There is an irony in that the only referee who has ever been pulled up for corruption was a Hibs supporter...

I'm not going to disagree with you, at all. Just too apathetic to care about Beaton's work. 

It was the assistant ref who had the better view as well, so he can shoulder the burden on that also. 

Ach, what can you do!?🤷‍♂️

I know.  It is just so depressing.  And see when we do have a good team and are threatening the duopoly, the decisions get even worse.  I am close to giving it all up - I know all this anger isn't good for my health.

Wasn’t pretty, but the first half almost went to plan. Whelan was the best player on the pitch before he went off and it was noticeable how their midfield took over after that point. I think Maclean was treated unfairly by the ref, but he had to be subbed or he would have been sent off. 
A couple of points on the selection. Nobody would have expected Wighton, but I don’t think he let us down. Meshino is capable of bits of magic but needs to toughen up and work harder - he’s just too much of a passenger.
I think Hickey needs a rest - he has loads of potential but keeps making little errors which cost us goals - he was partially culpable in the first 2 goals this afternoon. He will learn from it but it’s not fair to keep hanging him out to dry.
Great to see Naismith back though... hope he stays fit from now on.

Ultimately, though, Rangers played better on the day, got their bits of luck and have a striker far better than any we have, who can consistently put the ball in the onion bag.

MacLean's was for a combination of things. Twice he kicked the ball away before that. The incident on it's own, probably wouldn't have seen him have a card. But I said that about Brandon v Celtic.

No, I'm sorry you are wrong. 

Maclean was booked for a "foul" that wasn't a foul.

No yellow card.

7 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

What question did I ignore?

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There’s my post

Edited by GinRummy

3 minutes ago, Jambo66 said:

100% spot on.  And that is the point about the bias in Scottish refereeing.  as a direct result of Beaton's officiating, we have to make a substitution.

And then compare that to Morelos constantly fouling and Beaton consistently letting him away with it/

VagabondJambo

Writing this post without having read anything on JKB about others’ views on today – so hard hat on!

I was in the camp of “give McPhee a chance”, “he seems to have some strong ideas about what is required”, and I have been genuinely impressed by all his talk since Levein’s sacking.

. . . but that was one of our worst performances!  No fire, no ambition, no clue!

My generous ratings:

Pereira 7 – thought he played well, and handled everything that came his way.  Not comfortable about his tendency to palm down, then pick up, shots – someone will get fly to that, and poke a bounced ball in.  Also, his long kicks are aimless, and too long, for the most part.  I prefer when he either finds a man close by, so they can work the ball forward, or when he kicks a low long ball forward – these tend to lead to forward movement.

Hickey 6 – no doubt, the guy is a future star, and on the whole, he coped reasonably well today.  He needs to stop trying to do fancy footwork.

Smith 7 – I like him in this central defence role.  Sadly, he got injured, and that left a huge hole in our defence.

Berra 7 – would have given him 8 but for his poor marshalling of the defence.  Helander should not have got through for that critical first goal – yes, I know, someone should have marked him better, but Berra is the captain, and defence is his expertise.

White 5 – thought this was one of his better games (but still only a 5).  He seemed more tenacious, and pushed forward at times.

Whelan 5 – meh OK when he was on, but disappointingly not contributing anywhere near what I expected from such an experienced player.

Bozanic 5 - meh

Clare 5 – showed bursts of energy, but too many mistakes.  I am a big Clare fan, so today was very disappointing.  We should use him more for long throw-ins.

Meshino 5 – also a huge Meshino fan.  Needs to be much more aggressive for Scottish football.  Also needs to find a way to use his excellent ball skills to get past people, rather than run into people.

Wighton 3 – can’t see, and have never seen, anything that says he should wear a first team jersey.

MacLean 2 – waste of space, hot-headed, and should never don a first team jersey again.  In some way, I can see why Austin selected him – experience, big park – but it was possibly a fatal mistake for any aspirations Austin had for being a part of the new Hearts set-up.

Ikpeazu 4 – bluster and dive – no doubt, he is a guy with a big heart and wants to give everything, but honestly, Hearts main striker?  No way!

Irving 3 – is this guy young and fit?  Outpaced by Rangers players.  Added nothing.

Naismith 2 – huge Naismith fan . . . but wtf was that?  Came on, looked good as he gave his orders and marshalled the troops.  Then nothing!  No fight, no fire, no cajoling, NO INVOLVEMENT, just arm-waving!  So disappointing.

MacPhee 2 – incredibly disappointing and frustrating after the build-up.  He must NOT be our new first team manager.  Wrong selection, dreadful tactics, and no ability to change tack.  Yes, I know, he is not on the park, BUT he IS the coach, and should be continually adapting and pushing the play.  Frankly, Rangers were crap and there for the taking.  So what do we do from the start?  Push?  Attack?  NO!  Playing not to lose! – Levein’s tactics.  Back and side passes! – Levein’s tactics.  Hearts are the experts at turning a potential attack into a defensive situation – Levein’s tactics.  Hoof ball – Levein’s tactics.  We need a CLEAN-OUT.  We need an experienced, aggressive, attack-focused manager ASAP – or we WILL be relegated.

Sorry, guys and girls, that was awful today, one of the worst.  

2 minutes ago, BervieJambo said:

Wasn’t pretty, but the first half almost went to plan. Whelan was the best player on the pitch before he went off and it was noticeable how their midfield took over after that point. I think Maclean was treated unfairly by the ref, but he had to be subbed or he would have been sent off. 
A couple of points on the selection. Nobody would have expected Wighton, but I don’t think he let us down. Meshino is capable of bits of magic but needs to toughen up and work harder - he’s just too much of a passenger.
I think Hickey needs a rest - he has loads of potential but keeps making little errors which cost us goals - he was partially culpable in the first 2 goals this afternoon. He will learn from it but it’s not fair to keep hanging him out to dry.
Great to see Naismith back though... hope he stays fit from now on.

Ultimately, though, Rangers played better on the day, got their bits of luck and have a striker far better than any we have, who can consistently put the ball in the onion bag.

I agree about Wighton. He was getting slaughtered earlier on but I think he did ok.

Levein’s legacy has been to leave us with a bunch of players that can’t last 90 minutes or spend their time seeing the doc. A good few need emptied. Claire, Bozanic, Wighton, Uche will never be Hearts standard. Four year contracts have been handed out to players who can’t play two games in succession without getting a terminal injury. To make matters worse, instead of blooding youngsters, many promising young players have been lent out. We are in a big mess and it will take some time to repair the damage Levein has done to the club.

Just now, Barack said:

We'll agree to disagree. I'm away to make my dinner. 

Something far more appetizing, than sitting through a Hearts match at present. 

Fajitas, if anyone's interested.👍🏻

Pretty disappointing if your think McLean's yellow card was justified.  It was pretty debatable that it was even a foul.

Enjoy your fajitas

4 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Yeah. I'll lay the responsibility for that with "supporters" like you.

The supporters don’t buy our clubs players nor do they coach and set up the team 

Do keep up. There’s a good chap 

There’s my post

I think they did all they could do against a vastly superior side. What in the world is giving their all even supposed to mean? It's meaningless. Start kicking them? Get red carded? That would help?

4 minutes ago, Barack said:

We'll agree to disagree. I'm away to make my dinner. 

Something far more appetizing, than sitting through a Hearts match at present. 

Fajitas, if anyone's interested.👍🏻

Sounds good. Enjoy. 

Chinese Chicken Curry for me.

Captain Canada

The penalty appeal looked like a blatant dive by Uche to me. 

The persistent fouling by Morelos on Berra should have been sorted out by the ref. Defoe should have been off for smashing Hickey in the face. 

We'd have lost the game anyway, even if all those things had gone in our favour. 

I think they did all they could do against a vastly superior side. What in the world is giving their all even supposed to mean? It's meaningless. Start kicking them? Get red carded? That would help?

ha ha ha , there's communication, for starters. See how Naismith coaxes. Our players don't even speak to each other. Did you see when two midfielders left it for each other? Part of football is showing the opposition you are a TEAM. Hearts are not a team. Christ, Rangers have squeezed past Livingston and Motherwell in recent memory.

Not justified,per se. But I don't think Beaton did him solely for that. 

If MacLean acted like he did for 30 minutes in the middle of town on a Friday night, he'd have been locked up from breach of the peace. :lol:

Morelos should've been done too though, for basically walking through Berra without looking at the ball, yes.

Oh, and gracias.

Maclean simply carried out the strategy which was disrupt play and waste time and to be fair that's pretty much what everybody else does against them them because at the end of the day there's little alternative. 

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You don’t know what giving their all means?

tbh I can’t speak to you anymore. If you think today was in any way ok for a hearts side then we are just so far apart there is no point,

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

ha ha ha , there's communication, for starters. See how Naismith coaxes. Our players don't even speak to each other. Did you see when two midfielders left it for each other? Part of football is showing the opposition you are a TEAM. Hearts are not a team. Christ, Rangers have squeezed past Livingston and Motherwell in recent memory.

And in recent memory gave Aberdeen a 5-0 thrashing. Down to sheep not talking to each other? Not being a team? Or just maybe being outclassed by a budget they can't compete with? 

Just now, GinRummy said:

You don’t know what giving their all means?

tbh I can’t speak to you anymore. If you think today was in any way ok for a hearts side then we are just so far apart there is no point,

So if you can't even tell me what that's supposed to mean when faced by such a gigantic gulf in class then you're right. There is no point. This give their all nonsense is as meaningless as just have a go at this level of football.

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

And in recent memory gave Aberdeen a 5-0 thrashing. Down to sheep not talking to each other? Not being a team? Or just maybe being outclassed by a budget they can't compete with? 

Yes. McInnes may not express it publicly but he would not see a 0-5 reverse from Rangers acceptable unless they had players of the calibre of Europe's elite. He would surely see failures in the performance -unacceptable failures

Edited by Riccarton3

For those who appear not to have watched Hearts playing in weegie land against the bigot brothers, you have to face not only the opposition but also biased officials, hostile police, thousands of slavering bigots, a crappy  transport system, dodgy parking and a good number of homicidal maniacs.

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

Yes. McInnes may not express it publicly but he would not see a 0-5 reverse from Rangers acceptable unless they had players of the calibre of Europe's elite. He would surely see failures in the performance -unacceptable failures

In comparison to the league 1 and 2 freebies McInnes has to play with they are elite.