Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Staring at yet another rebuild. For that alone the DOF/Manager and Chief Bottle Merchant should fall on his sword. He won't, she won't make him so same again next season peeps.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Just now, sjh1874 said:

Staring at yet another rebuild. For that alone the DOF/Manager and Chief Bottle Merchant should fall on his sword. He won't, she won't make him so same again next season peeps.

That's the thing, I genuinely don't think a rebuild is required. If the players we had were coached and organised better then we only need 3-4 players in key positions.

We've had such a high player turnover over the last few years because the attitude has been buy and replace rather than train and improve. 

Just now, Ribble said:

That's the thing, I genuinely don't think a rebuild is required. If the players we had were coached and organised better then we only need 3-4 players in key positions.

We've had such a high player turnover over the last few years because the attitude has been buy and replace rather than train and improve. 

Don't think you are wrong, unfortunately that is not how he will play it. More poor quality/numbers will arrive. It is all pretty mindless. I actually think someone like Clarke could have our current squad playing decent stuff and getting results. Sadly our current regime couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery.

Enzo Chiefo
9 hours ago, georgiehearts66 said:

The two hundred core refers to posters in CL out threads on the forum. The frustration felt by supporters at a match is different. You use this event to justify support that they want CL gone. No, they want to see Hearts more consistently successful and competitive. Everyone agrees with that statement.

The disagreement, is whether a change of management and the dismantling of the coaching structures is the best way forward. I believe the majority view that negatively. A few good signings and depth in key positions, will be expected and preferred. They also believe that a great deal of the current seasons difficulty, was caused by an unfortunate injury list. That doesn't mean that everyone gets a pass. It does however, allow them to temper their critical analysis, with a certain reality.

If the coaching has failed then of course it is correct to rip up the structure. No employee should be so intertwined in the structure that it's impossible to replace him, or his coaches. 

If AB feels that he is doing a good job with the Academy , then let him continue in the development side. I appreciate that a lot of good work has been done on that side over the last few years. There is absolutely no evidence that we are any better than other  clubs as far as youth development is concerned, but it was neglected before and now it has been restored. Perhaps, with an Academy Director and various age group coaches in place, perhaps that role is now redundant. I don't know.

However, the first team is a different matter and, quite clearly, Levein has failed, regardless of the outcome of the Cup Final, which is a "free hit". He has always made us difficult to beat but our attacking threats come mainly through set pieces, long throws etc and big Uche trying to barge his way through defenders. Despite being given the resources to bring in 19 players, we are as far behind Killie as we were last year. That is solely down to bad management and poor recruitment and the buck stops with Levein.

3 minutes ago, Ribble said:

If we are going on hard evidence then the truth is that we only need one player to make a big difference - Steven Naismith. As per the other thread asking about the last time we played attacking, entertaining football, lots of people are saying it was just seven months ago. 

The extent to which we relied on him was obvious to one and all, though, and the fact that we didn’t have a plan for his absence is scandalous. 

That needs addressed urgently because even if he does sign there’s every chance he’ll miss out on more games next season.

On the positive side, it seems there is some talent in the squad - maybe there is hope that the current God awful displays can be rectified.

9 hours ago, georgiehearts66 said:

The two hundred core refers to posters in CL out threads on the forum. The frustration felt by supporters at a match is different. You use this event to justify support that they want CL gone. No, they want to see Hearts more consistently successful and competitive. Everyone agrees with that statement.

The disagreement, is whether a change of management and the dismantling of the coaching structures is the best way forward. I believe the majority view that negatively. A few good signings and depth in key positions, will be expected and preferred. They also believe that a great deal of the current seasons difficulty, was caused by an unfortunate injury list. That doesn't mean that everyone gets a pass. It does however, allow them to temper their critical analysis, with a certain reality.

You're deluded if you think the frustration felt by fans at the game isn't reflective of wanting Levein out.  The fans will make their point by not renewing, up to hearts to decide how to deal with that.  Probably not advisable to start by keeping Levein on.

18 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Agree with this.  We need to strengthen in a couple areas but there's no need for a complete overhaul.  Just need a better manager to begin with,  a manager who can actually get the best out of players with limited ability rather than getting to a stage where all our best players have regressed.

OmiyaHearts
10 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

If you think it’s only  “two hundred” Hearts fans that are pig sick of Levein’s brand of negative football then frankly you are living in cloud cuckoo land!

As for the “vocal minority” don’t ignore the thousands of Hearts fans that walked out early yesterday suffering in silence at the current state of our football team!

I think there are only 200 pro-Levein supporters, given the amount of fans left during the lap of 'thanks' they done at the end of the game on Saturday.

Inch Hearts

He doesn’t sound like he’s going anywhere at all based on his comments when asked about Naisy.

OmiyaHearts
8 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I thought Levein made it crystal clear when he made his crack about not liking Spain that he is going nowhere.  I presume he could still be sacked but under AB I think that is extremely unlikely.

If I'm right and if he does have a much improved budget in the summer, can he use it wisely and give us a team to get excited about.

I am highly sceptical but hopeful.

Halkett looks like being a great start though.

We have a good squad already. Unfortunately, we don't have capable coaching staff, able to get the best out them.

It will be the same next season if Levein stays. Good players coming in and wasted by having their confidence, creativity and instinct coached out them.

maroonlegions
5 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

We have a good squad already. Unfortunately, we don't have capable coaching staff, able to get the best out them.

It will be the same next season if Levein stays. Good players coming in and wasted by having their confidence, creativity and instinct coached out them.

And played out of their natural positions. 

Not renewing now , sick of his slow negative , pedestrian , hoof ball to Uche shite.

Will continue with my FOH contributions.

FTH.

Bad Religion
17 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Not renewing now , sick of his slow negative , pedestrian , hoof ball to Uche shite.

FTH.

Can’t you just wait until after the cup final before throwing your toys around like a big upset baby. 

54 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I think there are only 200 pro-Levein supporters, given the amount of fans left during the lap of 'thanks' they done at the end of the game on Saturday.

And that number is reducing after every dismal performance!!

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

He doesn’t sound like he’s going anywhere at all based on his comments when asked about Naisy.

To be fair, Inch, Jim McIntyre at Dundee doesn't expect that HE is going anywhere either. Managers do tend to fight their corner umtil the decision is made for them. I certainly don't think he will resign.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

That's far more accurate than the other guys post, there is not a lot of support for Levein left, guys I've spoke to who I thought would never turn have had to concede that it's time up.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

To be fair, Inch, Jim McIntyre at Dundee doesn't expect that HE is going anywhere either. Managers do tend to fight their corner umtil the decision is made for them. I certainly don't think he will resign.

He won't resign imo. The decision to stay on shouldn't be his to make though.

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I agree Rudi.

3 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

He was made a full Board Director by Budge - if any other Director suggests Levein should go then it will be him that is shown the door!

Stephen_East

Craig's approach to management was ideal for shoring things up but going forward his style of football isn't for me. I'm praying a change is made in the summer.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to how much it would take to pay up the contracts of CL and his coaching staff?

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Can anyone hazard a guess as to how much it would take to pay up the contracts of CL and his coaching staff?

I think Levein has one year left on his 3 year contract?  If so around £200k I would guess.

As for Austin and Daly I have no idea what length of contract they are on.

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I think Levein has one year left on his 3 year contract?  If so around £200k I would guess.

Andy Kirk, Liam Fox, John Murray?

29 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

He was made a full Board Director by Budge - if any other Director suggests Levein should go then it will be him that is shown the door!

I'd of hoped 2 weeks after sacking Levein and his Bootroom it  would be handled with great care and dignity. Ann first of all calls CL into AB's office and say's Craig darling it's been 7 hours & 15 days since you took your love away, I go out every night and sleep all day, since you took your love away, since you've been gone I can do what ever I want, I can see whoever I choose, and so on .......

Edited by mitch41

13 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

It would be worth it as gates would more than make up for paying the management of.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

It would be worth it as gates would more than make up for paying the management of.

It’s still a lot of money to payout for mismanagement.

18Jambo_dave74

It's now getting to the stage where I think there has to be some announcement made to say that Levein will be leaving the club after the final. I wouldn't be adverse to him leaving before the final but accept that is extremely unlikely. 

Not selling out for Easter Road; tickets remaining for the cup final; hardly any fans left for Saturday's post match walk around the pitch; another home game with lots of empty seats and I suspect poor uptake on season ticket renewals. Surely these things can't be ignored for much longer? I hate to say but the longer it does go on then the weaker Budge looks and she becomes even more complicit in the current levels of under performance. 

If/ when Levein goes then it has to be a clean break, I can't understand how it would be acceptable for him to return to a DOF position. 

I understand that Levein has made huge improvements to the academy and that is great to hear. Obviously it will take time and patience to see the rewards from that as it is still early days. I can understand to an extent why some people might say that he should return to looking after the youth academy however we have Roger Arnott and I would have thought that is within his remit? 

I remember back at the start when we announced Levein as DOF he talking about things like principles of play and having the youth teams playing the same way as the first team to make it easier for younger players to transition in to the first team. Perhaps the people who watch the youth teams could confirm but unless they play hoofball to a big target man then this is certainly not the case. The days of passing it out from the back to the centre backs in the Championship season seem a long time ago. 

Another reason we were told we should have a DOF is to ensure continuity when it comes to replacing managers. If the club has a way of playing and sign players to fit that way of playing then it should be easier to change managers and not upset things. That couldn't be further from the truth. First of all we saw Neilson rip up the team that ran away with the Championship. Then we saw Cathro come in and make a load of changes (mid season) and of course we now have Levein who has made 18 summer signings. We have signed a huge amount of duds in this time and Levein as DOF has overseen this. When he became manager he instantly said that Martin wasn't his type of player. Well in that case why was he signed as this goes against our 'model'. Signing guys like Sammon on a 3 year deal only for him to spend 2 and half years of that time on loan at other clubs is an absolute nonsense. 

As DOF Levein was responsible for identifying Cathro to be the man that would take us forward - I don't really need to say much more on the shambles of the Cathro reign. 

Then of course after weeks of carrying out a recruitment process to identify the next manager, we decide that Levein was the right man for the job all along. Well we are two seasons down the line and things haven't improved. The football is as bad as I can remember, we are totally and utterly reliant on one player and we simply cannot, or will not, do the basics on a football pitch. 

How we've went from being so exciting in the Championship season - having Sow up front with 3 pacy direct players in behind, full backs that like to attack, quick football played on the ground to watching the likes of Edwards, Wighton, Mulraney, MacLean etc. 

I was always a big Levein fan and even for much of this season I have stood up for him but enough is enough. People have had enough of his brand of football and this season in isolation you could perhaps forgive but combined with the last few seasons of boring mediocrity is starting to put people off. 

Apologies for the long winded post. At the end of the day we all hope Levein can win the cup and retire a hero but it is looking extremely unlikely. 

Edited by 18Jambo_dave74

10 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

So you reckon Levein is only paid c£4k pw (£200k) for being a Director of Football (overseeing all parts of the club) as well as being team manager.

But

as I suggested earlier it would cost to get rid of the retinue as some people want a clean sweep.

We then get in their replacements and for the gates to go up we would have to guarantee success and better football.  Who are these people  who you feel could do that or is it just another hit and hope?

Edited by JamboAl

1 hour ago, Bad Religion said:

Can’t you just wait until after the cup final before throwing your toys around like a big upset baby. 

Hes made his comments after 3 seasons of piss poor football, thus I think he can be forgiven. It’s not exactly a knee jerk reaction FFS

maroonlegions
1 hour ago, Bad Religion said:

Had several years of CL and his shite signings , tactics and formations, its not like this has just happened, 3/4 years of CLs stagnation, and for your information the only ones throwing their toys around are the ones putting down ANY criticism  of CL. 

Calebs Grandad

Nope as I love the club irrespective of who is boss, chairperson, chief exec, teaperson, groundsperson etc etc 

* hugely PC post this ?

3 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Hes made his comments after 3 seasons of piss poor football, thus I think he can be forgiven. It’s not exactly a knee jerk reaction FFS

Does that mean you want a new manager BEFORE the cup final?

jambogemz

:cornette:

Can't the question be asked in the other Levein threads.

I wish craig all the health and happiness in life 

I also wish he has nothing to do with football management at Hearts ever again not even DOF role he has failed at both 

OmiyaHearts
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

FTH.

I'll continue my FOH sub as normal as that's never in question and will be paid til the day i die. I didn't have a ST for this season (due to finances) and won't for next season (due to manager).

If we continue as we are, I'll likely be taking the short trip to Newlandsfield next season to watch Pollok (£125 for ST). However, I'll still pop along to Tynecastle for the derbies and other big matches until there is a new coach and staff appointed.

The Internet

Don't think anyone has said that about any hearts manager ever. 

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I think there must be at least 1

Jambo who has said this. 

:naughty:

15 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

It's now getting to the stage where I think there has to be some announcement made to say that Levein will be leaving the club after the final. I wouldn't be adverse to him leaving before the final but accept that is extremely unlikely. 

Not selling out for Easter Road; tickets remaining for the cup final; hardly any fans left for Saturday's post match walk around the pitch; another home game with lots of empty seats and I suspect poor uptake on season ticket renewals. Surely these things can't be ignored for much longer? I hate to say but the longer it does go on then the weaker Budge looks and she becomes even more complicit in the current levels of under performance. 

If/ when Levein goes then it has to be a clean break, I can't understand how it would be acceptable for him to return to a DOF position. 

I understand that Levein has made huge improvements to the academy and that is great to hear. Obviously it will take time and patience to see the rewards from that as it is still early days. I can understand to an extent why some people might say that he should return to looking after the youth academy however we have Roger Arnott and I would have thought that is within his remit? 

I remember back at the start when we announced Levein as DOF he talking about things like principles of play and having the youth teams playing the same way as the first team to make it easier for younger players to transition in to the first team. Perhaps the people who watch the youth teams could confirm but unless they play hoofball to a big target man then this is certainly not the case. The days of passing it out from the back to the centre backs in the Championship season seem a long time ago. 

Another reason we were told we should have a DOF is to ensure continuity when it comes to replacing managers. If the club has a way of playing and sign players to fit that way of playing then it should be easier to change managers and not upset things. That couldn't be further from the truth. First of all we saw Neilson rip up the team that ran away with the Championship. Then we saw Cathro come in and make a load of changes (mid season) and of course we now have Levein who has made 18 summer signings. We have signed a huge amount of duds in this time and Levein as DOF has overseen this. When he became manager he instantly said that Martin wasn't his type of player. Well in that case why was he signed as this goes against our 'model'. Signing guys like Sammon on a 3 year deal only for him to spend 2 and half years of that time on loan at other clubs is an absolute nonsense. 

As DOF Levein was responsible for identifying Cathro to be the man that would take us forward - I don't really need to say much more on the shambles of the Cathro reign. 

Then of course after weeks of carrying out a recruitment process to identify the next manager, we decide that Levein was the right man for the job all along. Well we are two seasons down the line and things haven't improved. The football is as bad as I can remember, we are totally and utterly reliant on one player and we simply cannot, or will not, do the basics on a football pitch. 

How we've went from being so exciting in the Championship season - having Sow up front with 3 pacy direct players in behind, full backs that like to attack, quick football played on the ground to watching the likes of Edwards, Wighton, Mulraney, MacLean etc. 

I was always a big Levein fan and even for much of this season I have stood up for him but enough is enough. People have had enough of his brand of football and this season in isolation you could perhaps forgive but combined with the last few seasons of boring mediocrity is starting to put people off. 

Apologies for the long winded post. At the end of the day we all hope Levein can win the cup and retire a hero but it is looking extremely unlikely. 

Very good post.

TexasAndy
14 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

The strange this is we haven't been playing hoofball for the last few games.  We have been trying to play out from the back but our distribution has been terrible, there is no link between defence and midfield and the ball is not sticking, even to Uche, when it's played forward.    It's not hoofball that is our problem it's a lack of craft and guile.  

Seymour M Hersh
17 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I think there must be at least 1

Jambo who has said this. 

Give it a rest ffs or add this sort of pish to the myriad of pish on the other anti Levein threads.

4 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

If Levein is sacked I won't be back.

Now that is worth starting this topic. ?

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So you reckon Levein is only paid c£4k pw (£200k) for being a Director of Football (overseeing all parts of the club) as well as being team manager.

But

as I suggested earlier it would cost to get rid of the retinue as some people want a clean sweep.

We then get in their replacements and for the gates to go up we would have to guarantee success and better football.  Who are these people  who you feel could do that or is it just another hit and hope?

So your opinion is we retain the current Manager and his coaching staff???

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Give it a rest ffs or add this sort of pish to the myriad of pish on the other anti Levein threads.

Oh touchy. Myriad is a fabulous word although I can only guess what it means.

3 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

The strange this is we haven't been playing hoofball for the last few games.  We have been trying to play out from the back but our distribution has been terrible, there is no link between defence and midfield and the ball is not sticking, even to Uche, when it's played forward.    It's not hoofball that is our problem it's a lack of craft and guile.  

Our lack of craft and guile AND lack of movement means that the only option is to hoof it up the park!

The team is a shambles.

19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Does that mean you want a new manager BEFORE the cup final?

Has he or have I said that?

5 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

This is true. Also lacking are bravery and determination. Mulraney, Clare, Wighton, Djoum, Lee and Bozanic lack any sort of drive. We never look like we pose any threat to the opponent’s goal.

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Think it depends on the prognosis re his health to be honest. Probably the biggest factor in any decision. 

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic