• Bull's-eye

• Sagan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All roads lead to Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Gambo said:

McCann would be a poor choice.

Robinson would be meh.

Surely we would cast our net further afield and see who would be interested.

Germany or Portugal would be a good place to look. We didn't do too badly under a Portuguese manager before! 

Sexton Hardcastle

Another meh name.

If you want to kick on to the next level and cement third places, you need a big name. Not a boy who get the odd result with Motherwell once a month. 

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Never mind.

He certainly had mixed fortunes managing teams.

He was ridiculed when he took over at Leicester.

To be honest, he has wildly swinging managerial fortunes.

Robinson wouldn’t be the worse choice, atleast it isn’t Daly etc but it’s hardly cause for a parade.

Be nice to actually show a bit of ambition for a chance and hire someone from outside the SPFL ‘bubble’, someone with good contacts abroad, who’s actually won trophies and who’s maybe atleast played for a big side in Portugal/Holland/Italy/Spain etc.

Scottish football may not be the EPL but we’re a big side by Scottish standards, we’ve got a decent budget, excellent facilities, an already decent squad and we’re able to offer a not insignificant wage by the standards of most countries. 

A Robinson, Tommy Wright etc might bring stability and ‘safety’ but neither of those are genuine progression.

20 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I honestly think fans are so messed up by the ‘Levein Year’s’ that any half decent manager mentioned will be met people trying to justify how great they’d be.

This is Hearts we’re the 3rd biggest club in Scotland with a fan base desperate for success that can turn a home game into a miserable experience for our own team when things are going wrong. We have a squad full of internationals and seasoned pros we need a manger who can deal with that, someone who can take that squad a focus them, find a style that suits and win games. Make tynecastle a fortress again.

The step up from Motherwell to Hearts is massive, Robinson can play pretty football and finish 6th and it’s a success. 

Steve Clarke is the blueprint, imagine him coming into this Hearts now with this squad, we need someone like that not Stephen Robinson ffs!

Lets actually look for what we need then go get it not some flash in the pan who can get Motherwell 7th in the league!

Fans are so fickle that one day a manager can be flavour of the month and a few weeks later there are calls for him to be emptied. Robinson has made a good start to the season but so did we last year. At our level any managerial appointment is likely to be a hit or a miss . Usually the clamour is for someone like Robinson whose stock is currently at a high but who would have taken him a few weeks ago when we outplayed them at Fir Park. Who knows Motherwell fans might be screaming for his head in due course. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

He was ridiculed when he took over at Leicester.

To be honest, he has wildly swinging managerial fortunes.

He certainly has.

I think it's a balance or risk/reward.

We got JJ from Falkirk.

Robinson is climbing the ladder and doing a decent job. He needs to do better for us than he has done with Murderwell. Smart money says he has a good chance. And then he would be off to England's championship, and we would be a better proposition for a bigger name coach.

I really worry about the hit and miss of a big name or a foreign coach who doesn't know the spl.

Saying that, a cheeky offer to John Terry might be interesting.

9 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

🤞🏻 Please make it happen. It would get fans back on side. Neil McCann would add fuel to the fire, especially if it goes like it did at Dundee. Robinson is our man, i’m sooo hoping there’s a grain of truth in that article. 🤞🏻 

Agree, like how he comes across on tv and gets the best from his players. 

He now knows the league, believes in youth and there's 1 or two players at Motherwell that would walk into our team. Make this happen.

13 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Fans are so fickle that one day a manager can be flavour of the month and a few weeks later there are calls for him to be emptied. Robinson has made a good start to the season but so did we last year. At our level any managerial appointment is likely to be a hit or a miss . Usually the clamour is for someone like Robinson whose stock is currently at a high but who would have taken him a few weeks ago when we outplayed them at Fir Park. Who knows Motherwell fans might be screaming for his head in due course. 

Yip, but under the present circumstances, people just want a change. They’d take Mrs Robinson right now !

I’m not sure I’m over the last manager we took from Motherwell.

Tend to agree though, that if there is to be managerial change, we should at least speak to him.

The Old Tolbooth
20 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

Hopefully these names (Robinson and McCann) puts I  perspective the ridiculously daft shouts like moyes and o'Neill you read on this forum.

Not quite sure why Moyes would be a "ridiculously daft" idea to be honest, he's out of work at the minute and may be looking for a way back in, we'd be no worse off if he said no if asked.

As for O'Neil, now that is a ridiculously daft suggestion, Scotland couldn't afford to take him away from his current post, so there's no danger Hearts could. 

I'm still not convinced that Levein will be going anywhere either, sadly, I mean, has anyone heard anything concrete other than a story from the worst rag on the planet?  

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Pistol1874 said:

I’m not sure I’m over the last manager we took from Motherwell.

Tend to agree though, that if there is to be managerial change, we should at least speak to him.

I remember the scenes when we got a result to stay up.😩

14 minutes ago, Boab said:

Yip, but under the present circumstances, people just want a change. They’d take Mrs Robinson right now !

😊  Get your point but that sort of reasoning makes me glad we will never be fan run.

Brighton Jambo

People calling for O’neill need to wake up.  Northern Ireland still have a decent chance of qualifying for the Euros he is not going to walk away from that.  

People calling for a big name, but who? I remember the clamour for Steve McLaren previously who fails everywhere he goes.  Why should we accept a failure just because we are in Scotland.

Chris Hughton has been mentioned.  I love that man like a father but his style of football is the complete opposite to what we are calling for.  Again, just because we are a smaller club why accept that.   We won’t get a truly decent top manager as they don’t want to manage in Scotland outside the old firm.  

Should we go lower leagues in England - half the fans will be meh “never heard of him”

Should we go lower leagues/other SPL clubs, again half the fans will say they don’t have the experience or pedigree for us.

should we get an ex Hearts man in, half the fans won’t think that’s enough.  

So so what people want is a big name, previously successful, ideally ex Hearts man who is willing to come to Hearts.

new for you all, SUCH A CANDIDATE DOESNT EXIST.  

Whoever we get will never meet all our expectations and so half the fans will be wanting him to fail from the start as per Cathro and Levein.  More toxicity amongst than fans, more people desperately waiting to say I told you so and pushing for some mythical appointment that will never come.

some of our fans make me sick right now.  

10 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Why would anything he has done in mgmt even see his call being taken?

Be amazed if AB allowed that.

He's got to more finals as a amanger than Levein I think, and won exactly as many trophies.

I mean I'd still prefer us to set our sights a bit higher, but Ann Budge clearly has no ****ing clue about the football side of things, so I wouldn't rule him out on the basis he's achieved **** all.

A_A wehatethehibs

I'd take Robinson, a real fighter, a scrapper. Fans always say it'd be good to see someone with no Hearts background to come in and bring new energy. He'd be near top of my list. 

I'd would not take McCann. I'd have either Neilson back in or Hartley in over him if we're going to talk ex-Hearts boys. Probably would have John Robertson or Gary Naysmith too. Maybe even Lockey. McCann is pretty much bottom of my list of ex-Hearts players. He took over Dundee and tried to get them playing good football, while they were on a long run without a win. They ended up relegated. We're on a long run without a win right now, are we trying to repeat that at Hearts?! Anyone who thinks McCann is a good idea with the Hearts team in this shambolic state, needs sectioned. 

One things for sure, we need someone to come in, galvanise the fans, switch these players on, get organised and get us some league points now.

10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

🤞🏻 Please make it happen. It would get fans back on side. Neil McCann would add fuel to the fire, especially if it goes like it did at Dundee. Robinson is our man, i’m sooo hoping there’s a grain of truth in that article. 🤞🏻 

Neither will cut it with supporters, there is no way this story has come from the club, its journalists scrolling through fan sites and picking up ridiculous suggestions from hacked off fans. If in the future the club does look to recruit a new coach/manager then they need to be bold and recruit the best available not just some one who happens to be doing OK at the moment like Robinson, last season there were calls to get Clarke as Killie were doing well. 

5 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

😊  Get your point but that sort of reasoning makes me glad we will never be fan run.

The sadly departed Anna Italiano would hypnotise them into performing !

37 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

I think most people would expect Hearts to outplay Motherwell (apart from Saturday obviously 😬) but that doesn’t mean the manager at that club isn’t good enough to step up.

You look at how Motherwell have responded since then and remember how Robinson will have much less funds, quality etc... to work with.  

Any signing , player or manager, is a gamble and I’m not saying he’s the answer.

But you are better getting people in on an upward curve along with the better judgement from the board that they believe the person they are employing has the qualities to take a more pressured job on. 

8 hours ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

Ok... so within budget and somebody that’s actually realistic. You guys tell me who your choices are because for me Stephen Robinson, is a reasonable option certainly far better than Levein, that’s fo sure.

We don’t know what the budget is, and who would be interested so difficult to say.

But like others I think we should be pushing out the boat to try get someone who has achieved something at a decent level. 

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Being 8 places ahead of us right now is a bit better !

Right now, yes. Has he ever finished above Levein though?

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I think most people would expect Hearts to outplay Motherwell (apart from Saturday obviously 😬) but that doesn’t mean the manager at that club isn’t good enough to step up.

You look at how Motherwell have responded since then and remember how Robinson will have much less funds, quality etc... to work with.  

Any signing , player or manager, is a gamble and I’m not saying he’s the answer.

But you are better getting people in on an upward curve along with the better judgement from the board that they believe the person they are employing has the qualities to take a more pressured job on. 

Yip. There are no long term guarantees in football. The only important thing right now is change is required urgently. If the board would only make that change then we would see how the new manager would fare. 

We can’t see where we would be in, say, two years time but one thing’s for sure, this present set up has failed. It needs fixed, now !

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Regardless of what he challenged for he’s done well with a poor squad. That’s pretty much how we’ve recruited in the past, going for managers with lesser clubs such as JJ, CL the first time...Tommy McLean 😢

Doesn’t necessarily translate to doing it at a bigger club though. I could understand the clamour if he was truly outstanding, but I’m not seeing it.

18 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

People calling for O’neill need to wake up.  Northern Ireland still have a decent chance of qualifying for the Euros he is not going to walk away from that.  

People calling for a big name, but who? I remember the clamour for Steve McLaren previously who fails everywhere he goes.  Why should we accept a failure just because we are in Scotland.

Chris Hughton has been mentioned.  I love that man like a father but his style of football is the complete opposite to what we are calling for.  Again, just because we are a smaller club why accept that.   We won’t get a truly decent top manager as they don’t want to manage in Scotland outside the old firm.  

Should we go lower leagues in England - half the fans will be meh “never heard of him”

Should we go lower leagues/other SPL clubs, again half the fans will say they don’t have the experience or pedigree for us.

should we get an ex Hearts man in, half the fans won’t think that’s enough.  

So so what people want is a big name, previously successful, ideally ex Hearts man who is willing to come to Hearts.

new for you all, SUCH A CANDIDATE DOESNT EXIST.  

Whoever we get will never meet all our expectations and so half the fans will be wanting him to fail from the start as per Cathro and Levein.  More toxicity amongst than fans, more people desperately waiting to say I told you so and pushing for some mythical appointment that will never come.

some of our fans make me sick right now.  

Their last three games are Netherlands twice and Germany away. Close to zero chance of qualification. 

Personally, I’d be going for someone a bit older who has experience at a higher level down south, if such a man was available. Failing that, someone from abroad, but that comes with risks such as adapting to the style of our game.

1 hour ago, MTS1874 said:

Robinson would be a great choice in my opinion. Anybody that watched Motherwell on Saturday could see they looked fit, everyone knew their job, pressed us for 90 mins and attacked and defended in numbers. The guy knows the league and seems to pick up gems from the lower leagues season after season. Motherwell have also got one of the best youth academies in the league.

He would be for sure 

I think Robinson would be a good shout. I’m not sure how forward thinking he is on the technical side but it seems to me that he would be a good man manager. Plus, I remember reading one time that Alex Ferguson defined one of the essentials of management as the ability to transmit energy (ie get players fired up). I reckon that’s one of Robinson’s strengths. Co-incidentally I think that’s Levein’s big failing right now - he can’t motivate.

I can see the attraction certainly for Robinson to come to Hearts but realistically Motherwell would be looking at a handsome compensation figure and a more attractive option to our board would be someone currently not in a job - step forward Neil McCann. I am not a fan of McCann’s management style and he was shocking at Dundee so surely if we are considering a free agent there has to be better available. I for one would love to see Chris Hughton who I think was treated unfairly at Brighton but would he be prepared to move north at wages well below his norm.

13 minutes ago, CRB1874 said:

Neither will cut it with supporters, there is no way this story has come from the club, its journalists scrolling through fan sites and picking up ridiculous suggestions from hacked off fans. If in the future the club does look to recruit a new coach/manager then they need to be bold and recruit the best available not just some one who happens to be doing OK at the moment like Robinson, last season there were calls to get Clarke as Killie were doing well. 

People have to be realistic. 

We’d be looking for someone to step up a level. Not someone stepping down a level, those guys are too expensive. 

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Fair comment and I concede that currently Robinson would meet certain criteria whether it be a SWAT analysis , benchmark or some other form of yardstick. The point I was trying to make is there are so many imponderables that reaching a decision is challenging. I am surprised at so many fixed views expressed on here. If someone asked me who I would prefer between Robinson and McCann I honestly would  admit to not have a scooby

3 minutes ago, S Form said:

I think Robinson would be a good shout. I’m not sure how forward thinking he is on the technical side but it seems to me that he would be a good man manager. Plus, I remember reading one time that Alex Ferguson defined one of the essentials of management as the ability to transmit energy (ie get players fired up). I reckon that’s one of Robinson’s strengths. Co-incidentally I think that’s Levein’s big failing right now - he can’t motivate.

They pressed the shit out of us for 90 minutes last Saturday and he was on the touch line asking for more. If we played like Motherwell did, with the level of player we have, we’d hammer teams more often than not.

Leveins Battalion
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

They pressed the shit out of us for 90 minutes last Saturday and he was on the touch line asking for more. If we played like Motherwell did, with the level of player we have, we’d hammer teams more often than not.

This,also the guy has an eye for a player and more importantly some personality.

1 hour ago, JamboAndrew said:

I think it's a balance or risk/reward.

We got JJ from Falkirk.

Robinson is climbing the ladder and doing a decent job. He needs to do better for us than he has done with Murderwell. Smart money says he has a good chance. And then he would be off to England's championship, and we would be a better proposition for a bigger name coach.

I really worry about the hit and miss of a big name or a foreign coach who doesn't know the spl.

Saying that, a cheeky offer to John Terry might be interesting.

Some of them make an absolute fortune out of being sacked as well.

8 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Right now, yes. Has he ever finished above Levein though?

No he hasn’t. 

I suppose you can look at his record and say he has improved the team though. Took over in the March of 2017 after Mc Ghee made an arse of it....remember that close shave ?....so, that season can be discounted to be fair.

Took them to two domestic Finals the next season, quite a feat in itself, and has improved them to a point where they are now sitting third in the SPL.

We can all look at things differently as I say, but he’s done not a bad job.

The past two League finishes have been about level with us on points, with, of course the obvious caveat of top six/ bottom six opposition, but a decent record all the same.

6 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Said to my mate after we beat them in the cup that Robinson would learn from that game and would most probably beat us in the league.We on the other hand would learn nothing.

Edited by vegas-voss

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Couldn't agree more. Pity he couldn't be in the dug out on Sunday.

I like Motherwell's style of play, but as recently as January this year Robinson was being criticised by the 'Well fans for playing turgid industrial hoofball.

Worth a chance maybe? Although I can't help but feel it would be a flavour of the month appointment.

The source of the rumour, given the way these things work was probably Robinson's agent getting his client's name in the frame should the vacancy come up.

Bearing in mind Motherwell's budget it about 8th or 9th in the league (?) they are doing well. Certainly this season, although early days they do look a good team. Well drilled, fit and pass it well.

Robinson knows the league, gives youth a chance and would be a good option IMO.

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

I think it would be a decent appointment and one I could understand the logic off. He has done pretty well in the spl, as someone else he’s a manager who stock is rising and he will probably looking to take the next step up. We could give him a good opportunity of that.

its not earth shattering but one I think most people would be behind as he’s done pretty well and manage to turn shit performance around at Motherwell, plus brought some youngster through. It would also imo signal the end of cl, which I think would give fans a major lift. The getting rid of CL rips up the infrastructure work is a nonsense, tbh and that work has yet to be proved successful in any meaningful way.

i don’t think we go for him. Worryingly I think a McCann type appointment is way more likely. I don’t see CL leaving the club completely. Maybe stays as just a board member but I fear he’s staying due to AB’s fondness for him.

He will end up at Hibs in a month or so and we will end up with McCann or someone else already at the club.

Robinson would be a cracking appointment. He plays the type of football Hearts like to see and he has a real eye for a player. He has also done well bleeding youngsters. 

9 minutes ago, GenovaHearts said:

I can see the attraction certainly for Robinson to come to Hearts but realistically Motherwell would be looking at a handsome compensation figure and a more attractive option to our board would be someone currently not in a job - step forward Neil McCann. I am not a fan of McCann’s management style and he was shocking at Dundee so surely if we are considering a free agent there has to be better available. I for one would love to see Chris Hughton who I think was treated unfairly at Brighton but would he be prepared to move north at wages well below his norm.

If Neil McCann is the next Hearts manager / head coach my season ticket is heading straight for the wheelie bin . 

Luckly Ann has a bit more about her than some of the dafties in our support . 

Robinson would be a decent shout , seems to have an eye for a player , his team is well organised, with a clear plan and he has a bit of passion about him for his work . 

None of the names being talked about exite me to be honest.  O'Neil is a complete non-starter on several levels - if the Scottish National team can't get him we have zero chance.

Robinson gets a few good results but several bad ones and I don't think he can take us to a consistent top 3/4 position and challenge in the cups.

Neil McCann has a poor record in management and seems to prefer TV and journalism work and is less qualified than Robinson.

I can't think of anyone else right now that is good enough to take us forward that we could afford.