Ann Budge

Meadows

Huge season for Craig and I suspect Ann is laying  down a marker . 

The backing he has received  in this window has been phenomenal  so it's time for him to produce a top 4 finish I would imagine. 

He has had the last few years to sort out the academy and move out / get in his own players . 

Failure this year and that's probably it for him , time will tell . 

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Boab

• davemclaren

• AJAMBO

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nelly Terraces
16 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Agree with lots of what Ann saying because she's not judging him on first team results ! He's done fantastic job rebuilding the academy and building infrastructure for long term success 

She doesn't judge ANYTHING on team results. 

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The backing he has received  in this window has been phenomenal  so it's time for him to produce a top 4 finish I would imagine. 

He has had the last few years to sort out the academy and move out / get in his own players . 

Good post and I agree. With the squad we have now I actually expect better than top 4 and will be very disappointed if it doesn't happen. 

Today is a big test. We better be up for it.

Maybe it is because I only donate to animal charities, but I cannot help thinking that the Save The Children thing, whilst great PR, was a largesse that the club could ill-afford - that money could've been useful on the football front. Effectively set us back 2 years as money wasn't used for the stand, where there was then an overspend, and didn't go into the team....As a business decision, passing up about 25% of your turnover as a donation, is a bit daft...

7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Maybe it is because I only donate to animal charities, but I cannot help thinking that the Save The Children thing, whilst great PR, was a largesse that the club could ill-afford - that money could've been useful on the football front. Effectively set us back 2 years as money wasn't used for the stand, where there was then an overspend, and didn't go into the team....As a business decision, passing up about 25% of your turnover as a donation, is a bit daft...

Curious about this - how much is a shirt sponsor worth these days? Tried to find some figures but struggled

The media have given Levein a very soft ride but the narrative is starting to change.  

Budge has just had an opportunity to distance herself from Levein but has chosen to bind herself to him instead.  If the results don't improve soon the heat is going to turn her way.  I don't think she'll like that one bit.

9 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

My understanding is that ‘benefactors, are paying fir this do no financial loss. 

Finlay James

She's right, he's done a great job as DOF but up until now, as first team manager we could have done much, much better.

Id like to see him concentrate on the DOF role and have Neil McCann or Andy Kirk as head coach with Naismith as player assistant.

37 minutes ago, SectionN said:

Can’t wait to see Jon Daly or Liam Fox as the new management team.

I feel Budge is so out of touch with the fans in relation to the Management situation.

Levein’s record is shocking.

Aside from the great job Mrs B has done, I agree with you about her being out of touch. 

Just an idea, but instead of locking fans out of the troublesome sections, turn them into family sections and that way we dont loose money.

Budge isn't talking about CL doing well as manager. If you read the article and get that conclusion you're at it. 

In fact, the fact that she doesn't mention his performance as manager suggests the complete opposite.

27 minutes ago, ramrod said:

the biggest mistake Ann Budge after Cathro was sacked was to allow Craig Levein to be 

manager and DOF. This was not only a bad footballing decision it was also a bad business decision.

A manager that has admitted he spends the 2 days before a game with the team means he leaves 

the coaching & training in the hands of, what he calls, the Bootroom or as some call it Boot Room.

He's had more chances than Jeremy Corbyn and he has shown the people that matter, the fans, 

that he is out of his depth as a manager. Ann Budge has done a fabulous job for our club but i 

believe she is backing the wrong horse with her manager.

29 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

we have received more from a ‘benefactor’ for this than we could have got with a commercial shirt sponsor, also Big Hearts received a large injection from same benefactor.

34 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I believe the SAVE THE CHILDREN shirt sponsorship was made up from business people so 

no money was lost out on. I believe it was a fantastic choice that can only promote the values 

that Hearts as a club stand for.

The Comedian
59 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Agree with lots of what Ann saying because she's not judging him on first team results ! He's done fantastic job rebuilding the academy and building infrastructure for long term success 

When does the building stop and long term success begin and what exactly is that?

1 minute ago, The Comedian said:

When does the building stop and long term success begin and what exactly is that?

Starting today 😂

Geoff Kilpatrick
32 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

She's right, he's done a great job as DOF but up until now, as first team manager we could have done much, much better.

Id like to see him concentrate on the DOF role and have Neil McCann or Andy Kirk as head coach with Naismith as player assistant.

On what basis would you appoint either of these?

The Comedian
1 minute ago, stevie1874 said:

Starting today 😂

Bottom of the league probably.

Lucky for Levein his boss doesn't seem concerned with the first team as long as we are working towards a arbitrary point in the future where we will be 'successful' etc

7 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I believe the SAVE THE CHILDREN shirt sponsorship was made up from business people so 

no money was lost out on. I believe it was a fantastic choice that can only promote the values 

So, playing devil's advocate, if you believe PR is more important than directing funds to the first team, why are you complaining all the time, and wanting a club legend dispensed with - would that not be bad PR?

The 'building for the future' line is used by the club because we plan to have a first team of 5/6 academy players.

It's all 'ifs and buts', but if Hickey, Hamilton, Irving, Cochrane, MacDonald, Smith and Henderson all fulfill their potential, and all stay at the club, by the time they are all in their mid twenties our team would look ace.

I appreciate that this is an incredibly simple way of putting it, but the point is it was never going to be overnight success. The kids need time to grow up.

Very worrying comments from Budge. First team results have to be the immediate priority. Infrastructure should improve gradually. 

Fact is we have been poor for years and are likely to be bottom of the table by half 5 today. 

Just shows how out of touch with the fans she really is. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
12 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Well rebuilding a football academy takes few years to come to fruition but when you see the likes of hickey coming through that's fills me with hope for the future

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

So, playing devil's advocate, if you believe PR is more important than directing funds to the first team, why are you complaining all the time, and wanting a club legend dispensed with - would that not be bad PR?

Your missing the point the benefactors paid for the Save the Children on the shirt, so money 

did go into the club which is what i read when the sponsorship was announced.

The keyword for me was putting the infrastructure in place. We have a good squad now and when everyone is back to full fitness then we will be Scotland’s 3rd team again. I agree with AB’s

statement and think there’s only good times ahead , albeit with a few bumps on along the way. Even if we do end up bottom at 4.45 my glass will be half full. We can’t fall any further. Cmon the JT’s 🇱🇻

HHGh

5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Your missing the point the benefactors paid for the Save the Children on the shirt, so money 

did go into the club which is what i read when the sponsorship was announced.

I'm not missing the point. Could we not have doubled up on the income stream by taking the money of the benefactors and also sold the jerseys? Was that not the original offering?

Unfortunately the football isn't a top priority under the current regime as long as the fans money continues to roll in.  Think we just need to accept that now and hope levein manages to turn it around.  Pretty depressing really 

3 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Unfortunately the football isn't a top priority under the current regime as long as the fans money continues to roll in.  Think we just need to accept that now and hope levein manages to turn it around.  Pretty depressing really 

Revenue maximisation should always be the top priority.  Most football clubs are run in a topsy-turvy way where costs determine budget and revenue is ignored because losses get covered, at least notionally, by rich owners. We are sworn not to operate that way, so we have to maximise revenues in order to then budget in line with the revenue and thus control costs, and not require a rich owner to bail us out. If however, someone offers "phree money" then surely you take it?

Edited by Spellczech

38 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Budge isn't talking about CL doing well as manager. If you read the article and get that conclusion you're at it. 

In fact, the fact that she doesn't mention his performance as manager suggests the complete opposite.

Indeed. She totally avoids it, rightly or wrongly. 

28 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

the biggest mistake Ann Budge after Cathro was sacked was to allow Craig Levein to be 

manager and DOF. This was not only a bad footballing decision it was also a bad business decision.

A manager that has admitted he spends the 2 days before a game with the team means he leaves 

the coaching & training in the hands of, what he calls, the Bootroom or as some call it Boot Room.

He's had more chances than Jeremy Corbyn and he has shown the people that matter, the fans, 

that he is out of his depth as a manager. Ann Budge has done a fabulous job for our club but i 

believe she is backing the wrong horse with her manager.

You're not alone in your opinions Mitch and I believe that's a massive obstacle that Craig has to overcome . 

The way he divides opinion is a huge problem and worry for the club . 

Theee are some, rightly or wrongly who are finished with Levein no matter  what . 

For what  it's worth the slate was wiped clean for me this summer , but if he can't deliver with this seasons  squad he has to go .

i will be backing him and the team all the way as it stands but not blindly . 

Mon the JTs 

42 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

You've read the article,haven't you?

Although it would be no more than assumption that by not mentioning the first team results, she isn't happy.

May find out more in 5 minutes or so.  If they don't end up talking all about Rangers again.

1 hour ago, Nelly Terraces said:

She doesn't judge ANYTHING on team results. 

First Team results are only one part of a bigger picture. 

30 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Fans are tired of Levein now. If anything removing him from First Team duties would be a good PR move. 

39 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You are correct Mitch.

5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

You're not alone in your opinions Mitch and I believe that's a massive obstacle that Craig has to overcome . 

The way he divides opinion is a huge problem and worry for the club . 

Theee are some, rightly or wrongly who are finished with Levein no matter  what . 

For what  it's worth the slate was wiped clean for me this summer , but if he can't deliver with this seasons  squad he has to go .

i will be backing him and the team all the way as it stands but not blindly . 

Mon the JTs 

Arguably, the problem is the perception among many that, as this is the last year of his contract, he’ll be going anyway. He might thinking along those lines.

Sections of the support want him gone now. 

I think the pressure may be too much if we are 6th or below come Christmas.

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Should first team results not be what the football team priority is all about?

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

Would you take finishing 10th for 3 years if I promised we won the treble the year after?

Whether she's right or wrong, she obviously thinks the infrastructure will see us a more successful club, long term, in the future. 

13 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Fans are tired of Levein now. If anything removing him from First Team duties would be a good PR move. 

The thing is though that there have not been many matches where he has set the team up wrong, or done bad substitutions, or failed to try to change things when the original setup is not working...Sometimes you just have to accept that the balance of a squad and thus a team can be affected by injuries. Sometimes there are occasions when players fail to put their managers instructions into operation; or make individual errors; or collectively fall apart (Away at Livi last season, when the team just collapsed...). Football by its nature always has the manager as the man who carries the can, but FFS Levein was being blamed when he was the DOF only as well. I dare say if he was sacked, he'd still be getting blamed 3 years later "for the mess he left us in". Some people are short-sighted and just need to blame the person who has the balls to stick his head above the parapet for anything and everything...

Levein gets criticised for not attacking the OF away, but the OF regard the visits of Hearts as being big games, and are up for them. This is not the same as visits by Dunfermline or even Killie. 

Edited by Spellczech

9 minutes ago, Gambo said:

It should be the football team priority but NOT necessarily the football clubs priority. 

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The thing is though that there have not been many matches where he has set the team up wrong, or done bad substitutions, or failed to try to change things when the original setup is not working...Sometimes you just have to accept that the balance of a squad and thus a team can be affected by injuries. Sometimes there are occasions when players fail to put their managers instructions into operation; or make individual errors; or collectively fall apart (Away at Livi last season, when the team just collapsed...). Football by its nature always has the manager as the man who carries the can, but FFS Levein was being blamed when he was the DOF only as well. I dare say if he was sacked, he'd still be getting blamed 3 years later "for the mess he left us in". Some people are short-sighted and just need to blame the person who has the balls to stick his head above the parapet for anything and everything...

Plenty of games where Levein failed to change things when they are not working. Just look at the Ross County game, what did we do to change things there? We continued hoofball for the full 90mins.

As for bad subs, bringing Henderson on who has barely kicked a ball for the First Team. 

I am just using the RC game as it was the last full 90mins I saw. Plenty of other games have been a similar story. 

I think this article could be prepping the ground for Levein to be offered a contract extension as Head Coach. The seethe from some quarters will be strong. 

Jambof3tornado
9 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

So basically everyone else but levein is to blame for our form over 18 months, and our ludicrous turnover of players?

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

I think this article could be prepping the ground for Levein to be offered a contract extension as Head Coach. The seethe from some quarters will be strong. 

Getting rewarded for being shite at his job.

Sounds a good idea.

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

No need to offer an extension until june/july time. Top 4 finish offer it, anything less bring in a new guy.

I think that the relatively good runs in both cups saved Levein for Ann. We also had an almost unprecedented run of serious injuries which was a valid excuse for some of our dire displays. I lost confidence in Levein at the Partick cup game at Firhill in February but hoped he would go after the cup final. Given the backing he has received from the board this transfer window  to assemble probably the third best squad in the League,  another 6th (or 5th) place finish would be the end of him unless he wins a cup.

Edited by EIEIO
Spelling

Just now, TheOak88 said:

Plenty of games where Levein failed to change things when they are not working. Just look at the Ross County game, what did we do to change things there? We continued hoofball for the full 90mins.

As for bad subs, bringing Henderson on who has barely kicked a ball for the First Team. 

I am just using the RC game as it was the last full 90mins I saw. Plenty of other games have been a similar story. 

There are things the manager can change and things the players can change. Berra is a superb defender but his distribution has never been good. Now a manager can tell him to pass the ball short as much as possible, but if midifield players do not make themselves available for the short ball then he has to go long, backwards or sideways.

If the midfield is congested at Tynecastle as it often is, then it is difficult to play through it. What was apparent in that game was that County were finding space off the ball and finding their man with the ball. Hearts were not. Our players were not finding space, not giving the man in possession multiple options for a pass and the man with the ball was not finding teammates. We played badly. The funny thing with playing badly is that when it is just one player, it is the player's fault, unless the manager fails to spot it and hook him, when it becomes the manager's fault. If half a team plays badly then it who do you blame? Some blame the players, others the manager. If a whole team plays badly, then most blame the manager...

That comment about Henderson is just plain daft. How can that be a "bad" substitution? 

7 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

No need to offer an extension until june/july time. Top 4 finish offer it, anything less bring in a new guy.

But didn’t you read the article? Levein is doing a great job! If we don’t get him tied down to a long term contract the EPL could come calling!

:sob: