Ann Budge’s review of the football department

afanderson33

6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Reckon there's more going on than is being volunteered in a statement that was demanded.      He'll have been given a short time to do something.  

2 more defeats = goner.    Survives that only to go on another bad run = goner.

On balance, this.

The reason votes of confidence are usually followed a week or two later with the manager being sacked is because votes of confidence let the players know "we're aware of this, we're not happy and things have to change immediately". The players instantly lose confidence in the manager, start worrying about their own futures and/or down tools. So something intended to nip speculation in the bud invariably does the opposite: it makes it worse, and the manager's ultimate demise inevitable. 

Budge probably doesn't want to look like Romanov by, for the second time, sacking a manager so early into a season. But within a couple of games or so, she'll have no choice. It's an incredibly stupid statement which is already backfiring completely. It's basically an insult to everyone's intelligence: how to turn a drama into a crisis, by Ann Budge.

Edited by shaun.lawson

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• mitch41

• wavydavy

• 1874robbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Yep pretty much what we want. When Budge and Levein go Tynecastle becomes a fortress again. 

Here here here!!! Simply cant wait🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻👏👏👏👏

6 hours ago, JamboAndrew said:

Thanks. Tin hat firmly on.

I genuinely don't see how the statement can be alienating people and causing them to gnash their teeth and shake their fists so much.

Some people are getting very easily offended over the Internet nowerdays. 

This isn't Championship Manager. I'm confident that 10 games into the season, if form continues, she will take action. Rather than a knee jerk one that upsets the long term plans.

As am I.

And incidentally: when she said "genuine Hearts supporters", she meant ALL Hearts supporters. It's just that if the website had someone doing quality control, someone to proofread her statements first or whatever, it'd have been caught before going to print and landing her in a giant mess. She's not trying to divide the support in any way; she's just a bit inept at expressing herself at times. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

As am I.

And incidentally: when she said "genuine Hearts supporters", she meant ALL Hearts supporters. It's just that if the website had someone doing quality control, someone to proofread her statements first or whatever, it'd have been caught before going to print and landing her in a giant mess. She's not trying to divide the support in any way; she's just a bit inept at expressing herself at times. 

I want it proofread to get rid of the bloody ellipses! Even ellipsis man on here has stopped it!

39 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I want it proofread to get rid of the bloody ellipses! Even ellipsis man on here has stopped it!

Same. 

I've slept on it and I am still so angry. I am trying to disect the whole thing. She thinks we are all stupid as she referenced 5 league games. Who does she think she is! it is 12 calendar months!

8 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

I'm really disappointed in the statement as it is blindingly obvious that it is time for a change.  But I've been trying to understand Ann Budge's mindset.

She is clearly furious about the media speculation about who might replace Levein and that, as a number of posters on here suggested, she's having to field calls from Steven Robinson's agent, among others, about a potential vacancy.

She is also furious about media discussion questioning how the club is run eg Michael Stewart and Tom English on Sportsound on Monday night saying Levein has far too much power and no real accountability. FWIW I largely agree with Stewart but his assertion that Levein runs the club would have been a red rag to a bull. 

I think the whole statement - and the "genuine Hearts supporters" line - needs to be read in that context. She is angry and defensive. She isn't intending to have a go at us but at guys like Stewart (and maybe Gary Mackay and Alan Preston) who she sees as stirring up the support against the manager and his team which is only making things worse.

The only surprise in the statement is that she doesn't reference Sir Alex Ferguson and the importance of being patient and supporting rather than sacking the manager.

I think she is wrong to accept Levein's excuses for his mismanagement of significant resources, giving long contracts to unproven or ageing players, signing more players to replace players he had signed (or sanctioned) and then deemed not good enough; and above all the poor performance of the team over a long period.

But it is clear she believes in Levein and in his project and her unshakable faith makes her believe his promise that the good times are just around the corner when somehow miraculously it all just clicks into place.

And now that Washington is out til December we will not see our best eleven until then at the earliest and so if things don't improve, Levein has his ready made excuse.

It is all utterly depressing.

But then there's a bit of me desperately hoping she is right and we start playing better, go on a winning run, win the League Cup and finish the season in the European places. 

Good post

8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

If one or more HMFC directors refused to resign, then they could be removed at an HMFC EGM simply by FOH's voting power.

If it is felt by the FOH membership that the FOH appointees to the HMFC Board weren't doing a good job, then the easiest route to having them removed would be by calling an FOH EGM with a motion of no confidence in the appointees.  That would require 5% of the FOH membership to sign up to the motion before an EGM could be called, then to win the vote with a simple majority at the EGM itself.

It is territory that I hope that FOH would never find itself.

That said, If there were sufficient activists within the FOH membership, then it would be possible for them to change the whole way that both the Club and FOH operates. Stopping that sort of thing from happening would depend on the level of apathy among the wider FOH membership.   

Edit: I think that it is actually quite useful to go through some of these scenarios as a stress test of FOH's proposed governance model.  I did suggest to FOH that it would have been better if the FOH shareholding was put into a Trust rather than remain at the whim of the active FOH pledgers at any point in time.

Agreed

8 hours ago, amadjambo said:

I noted that too. Would like to know what she meant. It frankly sounded a bit like the sort of thing you would read on here.

I think she was having a go at the likes of Stewart, Mackay and Preston who proclaim to be Hearts supporters but very rarely say anything positive about the club when writing/speaking in the media. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I think she was having a go at the likes of Stewart, Mackay and Preston who proclaim to be Hearts supporters but very rarely say anything positive about the club when writing/speaking in the media. 

Because they'd be oozing with positivity when we are bottom of the league and lucky to have 2 points! :vrface:

She doesn't even seem to acknowledge the amount of money that has been wasted on players on long contracts, in order to support Levein. 19 last season and it didn't work? No problem, let's get another 10 in this summer and see what happens. Giving Naismith a 4 year contract was madness. He's barely fit enough now without wondering what he'll be like in 4 years.  Does she not realise that the common factor is her man Levein?  A decent manager would have got far more out of the players than Levein has, over the last 3 seasons. She also still seems to believe that all our injuries are "bad luck". Really? The number of hamstring injuries would indicate a problem with our training or preparation and the decision to risk playing "favourites" like Smith and Haring while injured, has not helped.

I'm glad that criticism from "genuine" Hearts fans like Stewart, Preston and Mackay has stung her, as has the Robinson link yesterday. I can imagine her and Levein concocting that shambles of a statement yesterday ,over morning coffee, but it shows how far out of touch they are with the fans if they even considered that it would appease the masses.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Archie White said:

That statement today was a hard hard read and such a disappointment. The Hearts board remind me of the London Parliament - wrapped in its own bubble of comfort and unable to see the bigger picture and guage the mood of the nation of Hearts fans. It was like a kick in the teeth. Trying to compartmentalise the poor form of the past 12 months into the 5 league games this season wins the Spin of the Year award. It really does sound like she is completely under CL's control as far as the football side is concerned. In my mind it will make no difference if we win the next 2 games or not - Craig Levein is finished at HMFC as far as I am concerned. These are depressing times for us fans.

Excellent post.

MarkDevriesScores4

Wonder if Ann realises that she’s just doubled the number of protesters on the plaza next time. I think she’ll wake up today and will regret that statement to “the genuine fans”.

Adam_the_legend
5 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

As am I.

Oh, so it was a typo?! Aye right!

She is undoing a lot of good work. Whether the intention of the genuine supporters bit was intended as being interpreted or not, the statement was yet again poorly worded and the whole sentiment was one of childish disagreement. 

She has done some amazing things for the club and I will always be grateful for her putting her money in to save us, but it’s getting ridiculous. It’s become evident that she only wants a certain type of fan & im sorry that’s not her choice. I’m not talking about racist or sectarian stuff I’m all for that being weeded out, but what I thought was a complete misread of the feeling amongst a lot of fans is now becoming clear that it’s a class thing. 

Even until a week week or so ago i was happy for her to remain in control post fan ownership but I now want her out of the club ASAP. This was meant to be a smooth period for the club but this is going to be bumpy! 

I’ll be there on Sunday supporting the players as usual. But I’ll be putting no more money into the club(FOH aside) and the season ticket money is already paid. 

Just now, Adam_the_legend said:

Oh, so it was a typo?! Aye right!

Rumour has it that a statement was going to be released yesterday morning but someone advised not to and we ended up with a toned down version. Absolutely no reason to doubt the guy that told me. Can’t imagine what the bad version was!! 

Just now, Noah Claypole said:

Enough of the trolling please, its really tiresome.

What was your previous username on this board?

what was trolling in my post?

Edited by 1874robbo

pettigrewsstylist

When you have to explain to your customers/shareholders that the improvement programme is......wait.....its no my mates fault....

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, HMFC86 said:

Rumour has it that a statement was going to be released yesterday morning but someone advised not to and we ended up with a toned down version. Absolutely no reason to doubt the guy that told me. Can’t imagine what the bad version was!! 

People saying this is a typical vote of confidence are wrong I think. I just don’t get it. Why alienate yourself from large swathes of the support if there’s a chance CL is getting the boot anytime soon? He’s here until next summer I reckon 

Just now, 1874robbo said:

What was your previous username on this board?

Check my profile or read a Dickens novel, it's rather obvious.

Please stop the trolling though, it's tiresome.

3 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

Check my profile or read a Dickens novel, it's rather obvious.

Please stop the trolling though, it's tiresome.

What you on about trolling?

if you  think I’m trolling then report me.

let the mods decide.

Edited by 1874robbo

People saying this is a typical vote of confidence are wrong I think. I just don’t get it. Why alienate yourself from large swathes of the support if there’s a chance CL is getting the boot anytime soon? He’s here until next summer I reckon 

Yeah I agree. Sad thing is I like Levein, but his time was up last season. He’s going nowhere unless he decides to.

18 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Wonder if Ann realises that she’s just doubled the number of protesters on the plaza next time. I think she’ll wake up today and will regret that statement to “the genuine fans”.

She will be oblivious. She surrounds herself with arse lickers and the 'send her flowers' brigade. All is rosey.

Pun intended.

Of course it's not your typical vote of confidence. It's a proper vote of confidence.

She shoots from the hip and quite rightly will have been personally insulted by the goings on of the last few weeks, she's retaliated and will have known full well the impact it will have, there's a desperation within the support to scream and greet and protest. All bonkers in my opinion and it will accomplish nothing but animosity, there's an undercurrent of moaning Shit stirring arseholes that cling to the club though and know matter what is achieved they won't be happy, it's called crying Wolf. Well, they've now got something to properly moan about now and it's fallen on deaf ears and been batted away.

Get over it and support the team or stay at home, that's my reading of the statement.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

There’s no doubt that Preston and Mackay are Hearts supporters. I found her comments to be petty and unprofessional. I suppose the saving grace is she didn’t use the common phrase on here of “so called Hearts supporters.”

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s very plausible that people won’t agree with what Mackay gets put into print ( showing my age and trade) but no one can deny his “ Genuine” Hearts fan credentials , not even Mrs Budge . 

12 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

It’s very plausible that people won’t agree with what Mackay gets put into print ( showing my age and trade) but no one can deny his “ Genuine” Hearts fan credentials , not even Mrs Budge . 

That's all a bit of a nonsense though really. 

I put more hours into following the team than anybody on here, It costs me 4k or 5k a year for the privilege. Yet, I've been called a troll, Hibby and special needs, that's just in the last few days. 

This genuine Hearts supporter/PHM guff is a nonsense. 

Supporter is the key word people should adhere to.

13 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

I put more hours into following the team than anybody on here, It costs me 4k or 5k a year for the privilege. Yet, I've been called a troll, Hibby and special needs, that's just in the last few days. 

FWIW I don't believe you are a Hibby.

52 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

I’m not sure the relevance of how much you put in is absolutely necessary , whilst I admire your financial outlay , people will put in what they can afford , it doesn’t matter if it’s £5k , £500 or just £120 thru the FOH fees ,as you say we’re all Hearts supporters regardless if we back CL or want CL gone .

Whoever thought the “ genuine supporters “ in her announcement was a good idea should be made to read forums like this to see the trouble it’s caused , it was a very poor choice of wording. 

As to the insults , particularly the special needs one , I hope the appropriate action is/has been taken by the mods, no need for that kind of insult . 

Edited by 3fingersreid

It's ironic that, having saved the club and ensured that no one person would ever have overall control of the club, AB immediately confers so much power in the hands of one individual, that it's proving impossible to get rid of him. With full control of the entire football dept, he decides when he goes, despite the worst run of results in our history. At least when the great Vlad wielded power  he increased the fan base and delivered 2 Scottish Cups and an inaugural Champions League appearance.  What a desperate position for the club to be in now.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's ironic that, having saved the club and ensured that no one person would ever have overall control of the club, AB immediately confers so much power in the hands of one individual, that it's proving impossible to get rid of him. With full control of the entire football dept, he decides when he goes, despite the worst run of results in our history. At least when the great Vlad wielded power  he increased the fan base and delivered 2 Scottish Cups and an inaugural Champions League appearance.  What a desperate position for the club to be in now.

Did you read her statement?

The Board don't want CL to go...not yet at least.

What is happening here is the truth emerging and being spelled out in no uncertain terms by elements of our so called “support”. Not everyone so save the faux outrage that has spilled forth in huge quantities on here. There are exceptions and it does not take a rocket scientist to see who is who.

The truth is is a certain minority in our support want rid of Ann Budge because they feel the whole match day “experience” has been sanitised to a degree by decisions and in turn exclusions made by the club. 

The atmosphere has gone? Maybe but kicking a few sectarian, racist bigots out the club does not change an atmosphere. Crowds create atmosphere. Winning teams create atmosphere. 

You can try and pin the crap atmosphere at Tynie in Ann kicking a few bams out but the truth is very different.

Craig Levein is now the weapon of choice for those wanting rid of Ann. It is convenient for them that we are having such a poor run. A poor run that I fully and without exception agree is not acceptable and plans discussed should the poor run continue. If you think back to our great run at the start of last season not one of the now hugely prolific posters banging the jungle drums calling for Ann and Craig to leave ever posted. They simply sat waiting for the defeats to start ignoring what any sane person would agree was the worst run of injuries anyone at the club can remember. A run that unfortunately is continuing.

Lets just ignore this fact shall we and call for the head of Ann anyway.? That’s agenda driven behaviour. If you are calling for action based on facts you are nothing but a hypocrite for not accepting facts when people argue against you. Unfortunately elements of our support are hypocrites and driven by agenda.

Ann Budge has defended Levein. Ann has to go? Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. Apart from first team results the work and results the club is producing are first class. The next set of financial results will prove we are leaps and bounds ahead of where we were only a few short years ago. Again ignored by the morons in our support. Levein is directly responsible for a huge amount of work and success out with the first team results. Again ignored. 

There is is every possible chance Levein will be gone shortly. Ann Budge will not make that or any other decision due to fan pressure. 

An opportunity has come up and those that want rid of Ann are trying to take full advantage. Don’t be fooled.

1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

What is happening here is the truth emerging and being spelled out in no uncertain terms by elements of our so called “support”. Not everyone so save the faux outrage that has spilled forth in huge quantities on here. There are exceptions and it does not take a rocket scientist to see who is who.

The truth is is a certain minority in our support want rid of Ann Budge because they feel the whole match day “experience” has been sanitised to a degree by decisions and in turn exclusions made by the club. 

The atmosphere has gone? Maybe but kicking a few sectarian, racist bigots out the club does not change an atmosphere. Crowds create atmosphere. Winning teams create atmosphere. 

You can try and pin the crap atmosphere at Tynie in Ann kicking a few bams out but the truth is very different.

Craig Levein is now the weapon of choice for those wanting rid of Ann. It is convenient for them that we are having such a poor run. A poor run that I fully and without exception agree is not acceptable and plans discussed should the poor run continue. If you think back to our great run at the start of last season not one of the now hugely prolific posters banging the jungle drums calling for Ann and Craig to leave ever posted. They simply sat waiting for the defeats to start ignoring what any sane person would agree was the worst run of injuries anyone at the club can remember. A run that unfortunately is continuing.

Lets just ignore this fact shall we and call for the head of Ann anyway.? That’s agenda driven behaviour. If you are calling for action based on facts you are nothing but a hypocrite for not accepting facts when people argue against you. Unfortunately elements of our support are hypocrites and driven by agenda.

Ann Budge has defended Levein. Ann has to go? Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. Apart from first team results the work and results the club is producing are first class. The next set of financial results will prove we are leaps and bounds ahead of where we were only a few short years ago. Again ignored by the morons in our support. Levein is directly responsible for a huge amount of work and success out with the first team results. Again ignored. 

There is is every possible chance Levein will be gone shortly. Ann Budge will not make that or any other decision due to fan pressure. 

An opportunity has come up and those that want rid of Ann are trying to take full advantage. Don’t be fooled.

Dear God.

That is just nonsense.

Good luck getting the medical care that you clearly need.

13 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Call me paranoid but I’m starting to get the feeling the club have accounts on here and post this stuff in the hope we’ll start agreeing!

Haha I'm a Hearts Bot :)  A JamBot!

3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Reads like you believe a massive conspiracy theory is in play. 

The people who have always wanted rid of Ann are fairly vocal and easy to spot. They haven't been joined by some secret army of 5th columnists under the guise of CL outers.

A larger section of the support want Levein out immediately. That hasn't happened and they are (gradually) turning on Ann because they now see her as part of the problem due to her lack of action.

As for Leveins work outside the first team. While poor results persist very few will care.

26 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Don’t be fooled. 

annushorribilis III
29 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Reads like you believe a massive conspiracy theory is in play. 

The people who have always wanted rid of Ann are fairly vocal and easy to spot. They haven't been joined by some secret army of 5th columnists under the guise of CL outers.

A larger section of the support want Levein out immediately. That hasn't happened and they are (gradually) turning on Ann because they now see her as part of the problem due to her lack of action.

As for Leveins work outside the first team. While poor results persist very few will care.

Yup, I'll go along with this.

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Of course it's not your typical vote of confidence. It's a proper vote of confidence.

She shoots from the hip and quite rightly will have been personally insulted by the goings on of the last few weeks, she's retaliated and will have known full well the impact it will have, there's a desperation within the support to scream and greet and protest. All bonkers in my opinion and it will accomplish nothing but animosity, there's an undercurrent of moaning Shit stirring arseholes that cling to the club though and know matter what is achieved they won't be happy, it's called crying Wolf. Well, they've now got something to properly moan about now and it's fallen on deaf ears and been batted away.

Get over it and support the team or stay at home, that's my reading of the statement.

Seriously, what a load of hysterical nonsense. . 

Three years of dire football ,millions squandered and we're actually going backwards. AB doesn't have to do much to shut down the critics - just put out a football team that even begins to look like its organised, knows what is doing and is anywhere near where even she admits it is not. So what if a tiny minority of fans are having a go at her personally  - no one takes them seriously , especially not on here but for AB to respond as she has ...wow. She seems to have a very thin skin. 

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

I agree there is a small element in our support who will see it that way but a lot of the current ‘outrage’ is from supporters who recently supported Ann. 

16 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

We need to force her out. ****ing sick of it now. 

You have no idea, do you?

Force her out. She isn't going anywhere until she is rightly paid back for saving our club.

If you want her paid back faster, up your FOH amount.

1 minute ago, Dallas Green said:

You have no idea, do you?

Force her out. She isn't going anywhere until she is rightly paid back for saving our club.

If you want her paid back faster, up your FOH amount.

You don’t think if there was enough pressure (I’m not meaning anything insulting by the way) put on her from the supporters she wouldn’t think it’s best to step back from her position as chair?

All roads lead to Gorgie
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I agree there is a small element in our support who will see it that way but a lot of the current ‘outrage’ is from supporters who recently supported Ann. 

The vast majority only want her to bring in a manager who can get the team winning on regular basis. They just want her to do that and to see with her own eyes the man in charge of the team right now is failing badly in his job and has done so for many months now. 

John Gentleman
15 hours ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

I address to all genuine Hearts Supporters”

I am genuinely surprised that Ann used this line as it’s clearly said in anger, is fairly ill thought and is completely naive if truth be told. If you do not agree with her, you are not a genuine supporter is a dangerous statement to make and think she’ll regret that.

Tens of thousands of people saved the club, many of them want change that is not in line with Ann’s “plan”. Does that make them not genuine fans?

Daft statement in my opinion. Thought she was brighter than that.

Grammatically incorrect too. Sadly, not for the first time. All her statements have that air of shamateurism about them.

3 hours ago, HMFC86 said:

She has done some amazing things for the club and I will always be grateful for her putting her money in to save us, but it’s getting ridiculous. It’s become evident that she only wants a certain type of fan & im sorry that’s not her choice. I’m not talking about racist or sectarian stuff I’m all for that being weeded out, but what I thought was a complete misread of the feeling amongst a lot of fans is now becoming clear that it’s a class thing. 

In what way is it a class thing? Do explain.

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Of course theres a small minority of the "FTP" brigade who want the "hullo, Hullo" songs etc. back and blame Budge for that. Thats not news.

In the real world, nobody would want whats happening now to happen and it wouldn't be happening IF we were winning and competing but the hard reality is, we are just not.

Its stating the obvious mate, winning on the park means the fans are happy! Being on the worst run in 145 years and bottom of the league and you are going to get upset supporters. We were winning well this time last year and nobody was screaming for Ann to be hung!

I said earlier in another thread that Ann is in real risk of losing the goodwill that she has built with the Hearts support over the last 5 - 6 years.

Everyone is aware that the football club itself is in excellent form off the park but it's on-the park that fans really care about. We pay to watch a team not a balance sheet.

This would all go away if Ann sacked Craig Levein or if he quit but the truth is CL is a coward IMO and he's rapidly losing his legend status.

Edited by Pans Jambo