Ann Budge’s review of the football department

afanderson33

afanderson33

Ann posted a glowing review and assessment of the business side of the football club the night before the season began over a week ago and stated the whole thing was so comprehensive that she would post the footballing side in a part two. 

Here we are two games and two bad results later and absolute silence from Budge. Is she waiting for us to win a game? Or is it full of comments about the faith she has in Levein and the staff and that she won’t post it until we start winning because she doesn’t want to look silly?

deafening silence

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• mitch41

• wavydavy

• 1874robbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Ann posted a glowing review and assessment of the business side of the football club the night before the season began over a week ago and stated the whole thing was so comprehensive that she would post the footballing side in a part two. 

Here we are two games and two bad results later and absolute silence from Budge. Is she waiting for us to win a game? Or is it full of comments about the faith she has in Levein and the staff and that she won’t post it until we start winning because she doesn’t want to look silly?

deafening silence

First post filled within hours of her statement of intent. 

These things like reviews don’t take a couple of days. Once you start digging and uncover problems you then have to come up with answers, solutions and longer term fixes. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

She obviously can't post it just now saying how confident she is about the football department when everyone can see it isn't working.

letsalllaughathobos

There is no question that she is a phenomenal business person, 

A absolute terrible leader of a football club, 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Looking forward to the 2nd part ! No doubt the business side is in good shape but the football side on the slide without doubt 

More interestingly she did say in another interview she was carrying out a review of the football department. How everything works. An opening to change things. 

What can she say that will help?

She can't say she's happy with the way the first team are performing, because she won't be.

She can't say she is 100% behind the management team, because reading between the lines she isn't.

She also cannot say say CL is getting the sack if things don't pick up soon.

Whatever your thoughts on CLs ability are, and I think the majority of us are in the same camp, he's done his best and worked hard behind the scenes. I think Ann will give him the chance to 'choose to' step back upstairs before she pulls the trigger. I really don't think we're far away from a new management team.

Whether that's Daly and McPhee however...

Edited by Bunny Munro

23 minutes ago, letsalllaughathobos said:

Disagree. She has been a great leader of our club. But she has to act with urgencynow to arrest the decline on the park. I suspect the number of empty seats on Saturday will have set alarm bells ringing.

1 minute ago, Bunny Munro said:

What can she say that will help?

She can't say she's happy with the way the first team are performing, because she won't be.

She can't say she is 100% behind the management team, because reading between the lines she isn't.

She also cannot say say CL is getting the sack if things don't pick up soon.

Whatever your thoughts on CLs ability are, and I think the majority of us are in the same camp, he's done his best and worked hard behind the scenes. I think Ann will give him the chance to 'choose to' step back upstairs before she pulls the trigger. I really don't think we're far away from a new management team.

Whether that's Daly and McPhee however...

I do wonder about Austin. You don't end up where he is with NI and ourselves by chance nor being head-hunted by other clubs. Is he suggesting stuff and being constrained by Levein's tinkering and confidence-sapping safety first rigidity? Or does he agree with the tactics.

Everyone who speaks to him says he is sharp, knows his stuff and a decent bloke.1

Basically, if he was his own man (ie Levein goes back upstairs but MINUS the specific DoF role ie not involved ) could he flourish?  

I want Craig back upstairs. As a manager he can't take us further. This is man for man the best team we've seen in years and we've dropped 5 points in two games playing absolutely shite football. Theres no ifs buts or maybes to justify giving him more time. 

I wonder if we could make a big push to try and get Michael O'Neill to take the job now, seems pretty clear we want him.

Leveins Battalion

Anne's football review-

Budge "So Craig were 2 years into your tenure,how do you feel it's going?"

Levein "We are going get better,in fact were going to get much better"

Budge leaves happy as Larry Kingston.Statement released saying a full review has taken place and a 3 year plan is in place to make Hearts great again,by that time the FOH will be involved etc etc.

Ricardo Shillyshally
25 minutes ago, letsalllaughathobos said:

Things are far from perfect but that's a ridiculous statement to make. 

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

I want Craig back upstairs. As a manager he can't take us further. This is man for man the best team we've seen in years and we've dropped 5 points in two games playing absolutely shite football. Theres no ifs buts or maybes to justify giving him more time. 

I wonder if we could make a big push to try and get Michael O'Neill to take the job now, seems pretty clear we want him.

Michael O'Neill is on a salary around £800k a year so I think that would end any sort of chat about him being targeted 

With our infrastructure, backing and squad, we would attract an excellent calibre of Manager.  Problem is that this would require a no nonsense business woman admitting that the structure needs a complete overhaul and I’m not convinced she’s willing to do it during her reign.  This would involve an admission that she got it all wrong - not her style at all sadly.

Part 2 will hopefully be part of Levein's leaving announcement.

The review doesn't need to take even that long, just look at form for 2019. Look at how this season has started. Ask why the **** we were defending corners against Stenhousemuir with 11 players in the box. Just the default way to do it now, so negative and offers no counter.

Anyway I am a big fan of Budge as I think she has got Hearts going in ways I didn't think would happen anytime soon. Levein is the problem, and while Budge's faith in him has kept him in a job this long, the final straw is imminent.

1 minute ago, scotty2442 said:

Michael O'Neill is on a salary around £800k a year so I think that would end any sort of chat about him being targeted 

Maybe, Naismith was on something like £50k a week plus Austin was offered a role with the SFA which he turned down. Apparently he lives in Edinburgh so always worth a try. I don't think international and club football are the same animal and I don't think he could expect that sort of salary in his first club role in 8 years.

6 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

The Motherwell game will be the biggest game of Craig Leveins management career 

:rofl:

Is that an exclusive? 

39 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Looking forward to the 2nd part ! No doubt the business side is in good shape but the football side on the slide without doubt 

It's been sliding since 2016.

Just now, OTT said:

Maybe, Naismith was on something like £50k a week plus Austin was offered a role with the SFA which he turned down. Apparently he lives in Edinburgh so always worth a try. I don't think international and club football are the same animal and I don't think he could expect that sort of salary in his first club role in 8 years.

Naismith had made millions before he joined us so money wasnt the motivation, and Austin would have been offered an SFA salary which wouldn't have been that great (keep in mind O'Neill knocked back Scotland because they offered him pittance) 

O'Neill would need to willing to take at least a 50% cut for him to even be anywhere near what we would probably pay 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

O'Neill is in the middle of 2020 qualifying. After that, he will have a queue of Championship or even lower Premier League sides looking at him. There isn't a hope he will end up at Tynecastle.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

:rofl:

Is that an exclusive? 

The same level of exclusive that had him quitting the board.

12 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

With our infrastructure, backing and squad, we would attract an excellent calibre of Manager.  Problem is that this would require a no nonsense business woman admitting that the structure needs a complete overhaul and I’m not convinced she’s willing to do it during her reign.  This would involve an admission that she got it all wrong - not her style at all sadly.

She has already said the football side is getting overhauled i dont doubt for a second she will be watching on and not thinking something has to change soon.

13 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

If Craig Levein's career rests on 1 single game of football, things are more messed up than I thought. 

A loss = he's not the right man for the job

A win = he is the right man for the job

Is that what you're saying? 

19 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

This is just painful. Its not on one game, over the piece we have played dreadful football, looked lethargic and lacking a game plan. Giving him another game for something he has categorically failed to get right in 2 seasons isn't going to magically change anything.

Knowing our luck we'll scrape through with a shitty 1-0 win we didn't deserve and we're back to having this conversation again and Christmas, Easter and June with another 6th place finish in the bag 🙄 

GorgieRules22

If they do then I hope they know that the fans are now being forced to take a dislike to a club great.....we are being forced to turn on a guy that his done a lot of good things for this club but his time was up months ago and they should have acted then.

We don’t care about tea party’s on our pitch we care about football and winning.

If you do read then it’s time to pull your heads out of your arses before it’s too late.

Budge has painted herself into a corner with regard to making comment on the football side of things.

Last year she said top 4 should be a minimum for Hearts. We misused top 4 by a country mile (16 points). Yet she has doggedly decided to stick by Levein anyway.

Subsequently we have had a horrible start to the League Cup and League season. 

What can she say in her statement? 

Levein is a couple bad results away away from getting the bullet? OR The club backs Levein and thinks things will improve on the pitch ( which there is no evidence for, and will piss off at least half of our fan base).

They're all yes men/women. There's no point even bothering about them. They were all employed by AB, and they will agree with her.

A_A wehatethehibs
43 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

Murrayfield  and Hampden last season were the biggest games of Leveins management career, Hearts lost 

An ex player/manager not necessarily connected with Hearts on the board advising the board 

and acting as a conduit between the manager and board/ CEO.

A manager who has full responsibility for buying & selling but has not involved with fees or wages.

A manager who has full responsibility for the coaching staff.

Heads of departments appointed for the, Academy, Scounting, Loanees ect.

Our loyal fans deserve to be looked after by Ann Budge because we have been dealt a poor deal 

by her friendship with Craig Levein. No other manager or DOF has got away with what he has got 

away with and in my opinion Ann will know what needs done but for some reason she hasn’t acted.

YouLetYourClubDie

The hospitality uptake yesterday was horrendous. Never seen it so sparse. Fans bar probably made a few quid though.

53 minutes ago, OTT said:

the first paragraph i agree with. let CL focus on the academy and bring in a new manager and if they want to keep any of daly, fox and macphee they can decide.

i dont know who i would want as manager but we should advertise for it and get managers to apply and pick the best unless we can get someone of the caliber of michael o'neill within our budget who is in a job

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Beat by Motherwell on Friday she has to take action. 

The conversation should take place this week,  not as if there isn't a graceful get out clause with this one. 

Agree to move back to director level and appoint a manager, who has control of first team,  a coach who spends all of their time and energy coaching instead of delegating. 

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

And if the footballing side is not addressed soon then the business side to start to slide also.

1 hour ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

Glenn Whelan debut though so we should be fine 

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

And if the footballing side is not addressed soon then the business side to start to slide also.

Indeed. They’re inextricably linked. Yesterday’s crowd was, by popular opinion, down 2K. That’s about £50K in current prices. 

For context, half of what we received for that concert last week.

14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

The conversation should take place this week,  not as if there isn't a graceful get out clause with this one. 

Agree to move back to director level and appoint a manager, who has control of first team,  a coach who spends all of their time and energy coaching instead of delegating. 

I think if the former happens,  this will severely hamper the latter appointment. 

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

From what someone above said about the hospitality being sparse, looks like the slide has started. That and the crowds going down.

1 minute ago, Boab said:

Indeed. They’re inextricably linked. Yesterday’s crowd was, by popular opinion, down 2K. That’s about £50K in current prices. 

For context, half of what we received for that concert last week.

Yes, I was surprised how few hospitality seats had been sold in the Gorgie Stand yesterday, hardly any sold. It will be the turning point for Budge as that is her marker if the money is coming in then no need to change but if that starts to dwindle then she will take note hopefully.

17 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

It's a difficult question to answer for me. The infrastructure is in place so do we need a DoF when we have an academy director, we're not a big club. Should the money be used to help recruit the best candidate we can afford?

Just now, wavydavy said:

Yes, I was surprised how few hospitality seats had been sold in the Gorgie Stand yesterday, hardly any sold. It will be the turning point for Budge as that is her marker if the money is coming in then no need to change but if that starts to dwindle then she will take note hopefully.

55 is a number I heard, which is concerning. Been in there many times and was always busy. Worrying but not surprising. Many people were critical of prices even before the start of the League season. She will listen if the criticism gets louder. Money talks !

2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I think if the former happens,  this will severely hamper the latter appointment. 

I agree he needs to go totally otherwise he could still influence others which would not be good.

I know lots think he has done well with the academy and youth set up etc but we have an Academy Director alreadyso would we get rid of him to make way for CL?

Do we really still want him on the Board influencing footballing decisions? I think not. If he is to go then it should be completely and sever all ties

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Jodami said:

It's a difficult question to answer for me. The infrastructure is in place so do we need a DoF when we have an academy director, we're not a big club. Should the money be used to help recruit the best candidate we can afford?

It is. She really needs to suggest Friday is must win or a change in direction to preserve customer confidence. He can extricate himself from this with integrity and have a job

1 minute ago, Boab said:

55 is a number I heard, which is concerning. Been in there many times and was always busy. Worrying but not surprising. Many people were critical of prices even before the start of the League season. She will listen if the criticism gets louder. Money talks !

She will listen if we continue to sell so few hospitality seats and the attendances are similar to yeterday.