Ann Budge’s review of the football department

afanderson33

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I agree. She’s spending a lot of the currency earned by her takeover and she is starting to look either clueless or pig-headed. I suspect that clueless is closer to the mark. Something tells me she has no idea what to do next.

Clearly in a panic that if levein goes she loses the only person she feels she can trust to guide her.    But her biggest mistake was risking that person as manager.   The fans i dont think will accept him going back upstairs, i would be peed by this after his meddling in cathros management.   It would also put possible candidates off taking the job.

But if we dont get 2 very big results in the next week the damage will be done, levein should be gone but her relationship and trust with the fans will be in tatters.

But fingers crossed we can get 2 wins. Although i do feel this will just paper over the cracks for the time being.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• mitch41

• wavydavy

• 1874robbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think it is. 90%. Why would we want to sell the club to another individual though?

It seems very unlikely, but if there was a Hearts season ticket holder who turned out to be a billionaire and came forward offering to buy the club with a promise to put £500m of their money into the club, I suspect a fair few FOH members would be tempted.

One of my concerns about the current management issue and now this statement is the impact on the smooth transition to fan ownership. The plan seemed to for Levein to step back into the DOF role at some point, to be replaced by a new manager potentially from within the club's coaching set-up. My view is that window for that to be done with limited push back has now been missed. For most fans I think nothing less than Levein leaving the club completely will be sufficient. I also believe the plan for transition to FOH ownership is for Budge to stay on the Board and potentially as CEO. If the relationhship between her and the fans/FOH members/customers (these 3 groups are hugely overlapping) breaks down, then a smooth transition to fan ownership with Budge staying on is going to be hard to achieve without significant bad feeling. That is not good for the club. One of my concerns about the new governance model of FOH is that it was designed to protect the status quo on the assumption that the status quo would be comfortable, but it had insufficient safeguards for what would happen if things went wrong. I'm a big supporter of fan ownership, but I fear in our case "fan-owned not fan-run" is in for an early test which might prove our model is not sustainable.

1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

A sensible assessment 

get your tin hat on mate

Thanks. Tin hat firmly on.

I genuinely don't see how the statement can be alienating people and causing them to gnash their teeth and shake their fists so much.

Some people are getting very easily offended over the Internet nowerdays. 

This isn't Championship Manager. I'm confident that 10 games into the season, if form continues, she will take action. Rather than a knee jerk one that upsets the long term plans.

Budge.... Oot

Levein.... Oot

Backroom staff... Oot

Loan managers... Oot

Woman's fitba... Oot

New manager... In

FOH................... In

Old songbook.... In

Happy days. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

It seems very unlikely, but if there was a Hearts season ticket holder who turned out to be a billionaire and came forward offering to buy the club with a promise to put £500m of their money into the club, I suspect a fair few FOH members would be tempted.

One of my concerns about the current management issue and now this statement is the impact on the smooth transition to fan ownership. The plan seemed to for Levein to step back into the DOF role at some point, to be replaced by a new manager potentially from within the club's coaching set-up. My view is that window for that to be done with limited push back has now been missed. For most fans I think nothing less than Levein leaving the club completely will be sufficient. I also believe the plan for transition to FOH ownership is for Budge to stay on the Board and potentially as CEO. If the relationhship between her and the fans/FOH members/customers (these 3 groups are hugely overlapping) breaks down, then a smooth transition to fan ownership with Budge staying on is going to be hard to achieve without significant bad feeling. That is not good for the club. One of my concerns about the new governance model of FOH is that it was designed to protect the status quo on the assumption that the status quo would be comfortable, but it had insufficient safeguards for what would happen if things went wrong. I'm a big supporter of fan ownership, but I fear in our case "fan-owned not fan-run" is in for an early test which might prove our model is not sustainable.

Don’t disagree. Fan ownership can work well when things are going well. It’s a totally different matter when things don’t

annushorribilis III
42 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don’t think she could ever have imagined our league form would be so bad for so long. I suspect the idea was to let Craig consolidate top 6 and then move him back upstairs with a new Head Coach handpicked by Craig. 

It it looks like she has painted herself into a corner now and had chosen to brave it out rather than relieve Craig of his Head Coach duties. 

Absolutely agree with all of this.

Unfortunately (and hopefully) CLs "six week/six match " reference will pointed out when the inevitable happens. She has virtually trashed fans complaints and  quoting posters from JKB is crass in the extreme. IMO , she has not responded well to the criticisms about her inaction and that has resulted in CL being defended , come what may.  CL better turn this around quickly because I think it's going to end very badly , otherwise. I don't see anything in that statement that suggests CL or anyone else is under any pressure. 

She's written last season off and this season, so far,  is just a blip. She & us are about to find out. And soon.  

Cannot wait to ****ing pump them at ER and hear him calmly rip the pant wetting idiots.

This club is being built for a beautiful and strong future, not just 6 weeks!!

Well done, Ann.  I'll say it, I think your statement doesn't **** about and hits the points you feel strongly about, I admire that.  Folk greetin' about the "genuine fan" comment, FFS, it's true!  The genuine fans arent panicking like the out of control folk whipping up a frenzy!

HEARTS THEN

HEARTS NOW

HEARTS FOREVER

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’m not as confident as I was but still think she is doing the right thing for now but as I said the clock is ticking and beginning to go a bit faster. Financially she reckons it has to work. Lots of players signed on long term contracts this summer  that she sanctioned. A new manager might not fancy any of them so it’s an expensive pay-off. No guarantees a new manager will do any better, just look at lots of other clubs who fire managers early in the season. Time will tell, it’s a really tough one. 

Yeah she stopped financing other areas to help out the first team, showed a trust in her boy that hasn’t been rewarded or is likely to be. What then, another plan like the failed ones of the past. She’s right about football being a different kind of business, her attitude towards her customers in recent times when she’s faced criticism wouldn’t be tolerated in other businesses. We are currently losing money on attendances(3k down at 3 him games) and the corporate isn’t selling out, funny how social media is ok when bombarding us with advertising for the Aberdeen game.

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Cannot wait to ****ing pump them at ER and hear him calmly rip the pant wetting idiots.

Well done, Ann.  I'll say it, I think your statement doesn't **** about and hits the points you feel strongly about, I admire that.  Folk greetin' about the "genuine fan" comment, FFS, it's true!  The genuine fans arent panicking like the out of control folk whipping up a frenzy!

HEARTS THEN

HEARTS NOW

HEARTS FOREVER

On the one hand I read this and think fair play, thick & and thin etc

On the other hand I'm thinking 'what's not to panic about?' I cant emphasize this enough; We have not won a league game for 6 months. We have only won 2 out of 19, that's half a ****ing season. We are well past panic time.

Just now, Zlatanable said:

Fan-owned, yes please.

Fan-ran, no. I would be out, and let you all destroy the whole place. 

FoH was never about letting Hearts fans run Hearts. Always was about owning it. 

That’s the challenge though. Fan owners want a big say. 😄

6 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

HEARTS THEN

HEARTS NOW

HEARTS FOREVER

Hi Craig.

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Fan-owned, yes please.

Fan-ran, no. I would be out, and let you all destroy the whole place. 

FoH was never about letting Hearts fans run Hearts. Always was about owning it. 

YES YES YES!

41 minutes ago, The Crack Fox said:

How I'm reading the statement is that I think it's clear that Levein isn't going anywhere. 

"However, the Board firmly believes it is too early to be panicking and tearing up our plans. 

He won't be sacked even if we lose to hibs and Aberdeen. 

"We will continue to scrutinise our on-field performances and should we feel our plans are going astray and our approach needs to be adjusted, we will respond accordingly" 

The plan will be end of season position so if by some way we are still in touch with the top six he's not going anywhere. Oh and it'll be when they all decide it needs "adjusted". In other words Levein stays in some form. The word change would be much more appropriate if him leaving was a consideration. 

Hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it. 

The problem for me is what is this plan?? A plan to do what exactly?

No business I know would continue with a plan that’s threatens the well being of that business!?

They rip it up and start a new one, and any manager complicit in the failure of the first plan would be promptly removed.

The whole statement makes no sense, even if we’re swallowing the plan rhetoric then how can said plan not continue with a new man in the dugout. Unless this plan says CL must remain as manager no matter how shite we are!

Where or what was the plan when Cathro was in charge?

Sorry Ann we’re not buying it and that genuine fan line is an utter shocker. She forgets long before she put her cash up we’d be pumping millions in, remember the Vlad share scheme as an example.

Mid Calder Jambo
11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Don’t disagree. Fan ownership can work well when things are going well. It’s a totally different matter when things don’t

Particularly when you have an Owner/CEO who disrgards the fans/customers with such disdain.

17 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Thanks. Tin hat firmly on.

I genuinely don't see how the statement can be alienating people and causing them to gnash their teeth and shake their fists so much.

Some people are getting very easily offended over the Internet nowerdays. 

This isn't Championship Manager. I'm confident that 10 games into the season, if form continues, she will take action. Rather than a knee jerk one that upsets the long term plans.

Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion but this is so far away from anything I or any of my Hearts supporting friends and family are thinking - genuinely don’t know a single person who would take this view. 10 games?!? Into THIS season. Christ almighty it’s been 3 ****ing years already ! Kneejerk geez peace

i need a lie down

annushorribilis III
14 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I don't understand why this wasn't done over the summer. What is the point in having CL continue for another season, regardless of his 3 year deal  ?  What is going to transpire over the next 12 months that will make a difference - if the current incumbents aren't viewed as capable what are the board going to do when CL goes ?  Maybe he refused to step aside, maybe the board don't like the options from the current bunch of coaches or perhaps it was never discussed.    It seems to me they wrote off last season and never thought the same decline would continue into this season. And now they're praying CL pulls a rabbit out of a hat within the next few weeks because if he doesn't the season is over and I genuinely think we are saddled with him until the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Hi Craig.

Call me paranoid but I’m starting to get the feeling the club have accounts on here and post this stuff in the hope we’ll start agreeing!

17 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Budge.... Oot

Levein.... Oot

Backroom staff... Oot

Loan managers... Oot

Woman's fitba... Oot

New manager... In

FOH................... In

Old songbook.... In

Happy days. 

Yep pretty much what we want. When Budge and Levein go Tynecastle becomes a fortress again. 

3 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

Particularly when you have an Owner/CEO who disrgards the fans/customers with such disdain.

She’s openly taking the piss now

The issue here is that the football “advisor” to our owner is the problem. Who is going to advise her to empty him?

That statement is a joke. It does nothing to address the real issue. REGARDLESS of which players are available Hearts should be beating Ross County, Hamilton and Motherwell at home.

The Manager should be picking and motivating the team to do the job.

Can we only get results with Naismith, Souttar, Haring, Smith?

”We haven’t been able to field our first XI”

That wasn’t Motherwell’s first XI, thank ****!

13 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Can you clarify for me ?I have been a FOH member since the start .I do understand the fan owned but not fan run concept but I understood that at transfer of ownership a new board would be appointed which could or could not include current board members.This I thought would be done at an EGM when the FOH became the major shareholders and I would have hoped that FOH would consult with all members before a vote ?This board  would include 2 FOH reps and I expected the board would appoint a chair and employ a chief exec?I then expected that we would let them get on with things but there would always be a measure of influence  from the major shareholder at AGMs and through voting procedures at the FOH?

Many like myself just stepped in at a moment of crisis.My son likewise .This crisis is taxing minds.

That statement today was a hard hard read and such a disappointment. The Hearts board remind me of the London Parliament - wrapped in its own bubble of comfort and unable to see the bigger picture and guage the mood of the nation of Hearts fans. It was like a kick in the teeth. Trying to compartmentalise the poor form of the past 12 months into the 5 league games this season wins the Spin of the Year award. It really does sound like she is completely under CL's control as far as the football side is concerned. In my mind it will make no difference if we win the next 2 games or not - Craig Levein is finished at HMFC as far as I am concerned. These are depressing times for us fans.

24 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

She’s doing what she believes to be the right thing for the club but she’ll have to accept the consequences. . 

23 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Call me paranoid but I’m starting to get the feeling the club have accounts on here and post this stuff in the hope we’ll start agreeing!

Either that or Hibs trolls.  A few of them resurfaced again yesterday.

I’d like her to expand on what she conceives as a “genuine Hearts supporter”

because im extremely concerned about bottom 6 and possible relegation battle does that discount me ? Even though I pump into FOH , season ticket, merchandise, home and most away games ?

very strange for her to come out with that one. And quite frankly insulting 

Edited by 1971fozzy

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

She’s doing what she believes to be the right thing for the club but she’ll have to accept the consequences. . 

She's sticking by her man and he's dragging her down with him.

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It appears to me that she is blinded by her relationship with Levein more than anything.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, tolcross lad said:

I agree with your post but I think that considering the millions put in by FOH and the fans we need to free ourselves from a sense of perpetual gratitude towards Ann Budge.

Definitely, and we won’t be getting it back with interest. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Archie White said:

That statement today was a hard hard read and such a disappointment. The Hearts board remind me of the London Parliament - wrapped in its own bubble of comfort and unable to see the bigger picture and guage the mood of the nation of Hearts fans. It was like a kick in the teeth. Trying to compartmentalise the poor form of the past 12 months into the 5 league games this season wins the Spin of the Year award. It really does sound like she is completely under CL's control as far as the football side is concerned. In my mind it will make no difference if we win the next 2 games or not - Craig Levein is finished at HMFC as far as I am concerned. These are depressing times for us fans.

Indeed, it’s like a note from your mum to get out of doing PE. If he didn’t help write that she listens intently to what he says as he’s uttered most of the nonsense in there.

33 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Can you clarify for me ?I have been a FOH member since the start .I do understand the fan owned but not fan run concept but I understood that at transfer of ownership a new board would be appointed which could or could not include current board members.This I thought would be done at an EGM when the FOH became the major shareholders and I would have hoped that FOH would consult with all members before a vote ?This board  would include 2 FOH reps and I expected the board would appoint a chair and employ a chief exec?I then expected that we would let them get on with things but there would always be a measure of influence  from the major shareholder at AGMs and through voting procedures at the FOH?

Many like myself just stepped in at a moment of crisis.My son likewise .This crisis is taxing minds.

On share transfer day, FOH would have the power to change the HMFC Board if they decided to call an HMFC EGM.

However, HMFC will still be owned by all its shareholders, including FOH who will own 75%+ and Bidco 17%+.  I think that it is highly unlikely that FOH will want to call an HMFC EGM outside the normal cycle of AGMs.  I also can't see FOH wishing to make wholesale changes, if any at all, to how the HMFC Board works at present.

The only circumstance I could see that happening would be if the HMFC Board resigned en masse as a result of an unacceptable level of criticism (Hearts still bottom in February with CL still at the helm?).

AB has already indicated that she would offer to remain for another couple of years (position unknown). I had expected her to stay on as chairman, following the appointment of a new CEO (possibly at her recommendation) around the end of the current financial year in June 2020.  She may have second thoughts if the pressure on her to act continues unabated. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Mid Calder Jambo
23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sadly, Dave we will all have to accept the consequences of her intransigence.

Mid Calder Jambo
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

On share transfer day, FOH would have the power to change the HMFC Board if they decided to call an HMFC EGM.

However, HMFC will still be owned by all its shareholders, including FOH who will own 75%+ and Bidco 17%+.  I think that it is highly unlikely that FOH will want to call an HMFC EGM outside the normal cycle of AGMs.  I also can't see FOH wishing to make wholesale changes, if any at all, to how the HMFC Board works at present.

The only circumstance I could see that happening would be if the HMFC Board resigned en masse as a result of an unacceptable level of criticism (Hearts still bottom in February with CL still at the helm?).

AB has already indicated that she would offer to remain for another couple of years (position unknown). I had expected her to stay on as chairman, following the appointment of a new CEO (possibly at her recommendation).  She may have second thoughts if the pressure on her to act continues unabated. 

And lets hope, after today's debacle, that the pressure keeps being applied.

Mrs Budge seems determined to cast herself in the role of Pontius Pilate so that when the demands of the baying crowd prevail, as inevitably they will, she can wash her hands of all responsibility for the decision and the consequences of sacking Craig Levein

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

However, HMFC will still be owned by all its shareholders, including FOH who will own 75%+ and Bidco 17%+.  I think that it is highly unlikely that FOH will want to call an HMFC EGM outside the normal cycle of AGMs.  I can't see FOH wishing to make wholesale changes to how the HMFC Board works at present.

AB has already indicated that she would offer to remain for another couple of years (position unknown). I had expected her to stay on as chairman, following the appointment of a new CEO (possibly at her recommendation).  She may have second thoughts if the pressure on her to act continues unabated. 

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain .Can I trouble you again?Rightly or wrongly many of us have just let others get on with it.Its often the case but an active membership could have considerable influence then?

What if the board refused to resign in such a scenario as you describe and the FOH reps on the board were thought to be part of the problem by the FOH membership?

7 minutes ago, Threebs said:

Mrs Budge seems determined to cast herself in the role of Pontius Pilate so that when the demands of the baying crowd prevail, as inevitably they will, she can wash her hands of all responsibility for the decision and the consequences of sacking Craig Levein

The "consequences" of sacking him?  Like what?  Actually winning a football match?

Toxteth O'Grady
1 hour ago, Elshin said:

And its the comments from levein that make him appear clueless... such as bobby is our No1.  Then goes and sign another GK, drops bobby so we now have our No3 in goals.

Declares Sean Clare is the answer to centre midfield and then goes and signs another 2 center mids while playing clare in a different position every 30minutes during a game

It’s an utter shambles - a so called business person should not allow it to happen 

41 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

because im extremely concerned about bottom 6 and possible relegation battle does that discount me ? Even though I pump into FOH , season ticket, merchandise, home and most away games ?

She can try and control, silence and sanitise us all she wants but EVERYONE who is a Hearts fan is a 'genuine' Hearts fan. Wether you are a choir boy or an unsavoury jakeball thug and there is NOTHING her ladyship can do to change this. She can ban every Tom Dick and Harry all she wants and ensure the world see her in the nice light she craves but she will never stop people being Hearts fans.

Edited by i8hibsh

I'm really disappointed in the statement as it is blindingly obvious that it is time for a change.  But I've been trying to understand Ann Budge's mindset.

She is clearly furious about the media speculation about who might replace Levein and that, as a number of posters on here suggested, she's having to field calls from Steven Robinson's agent, among others, about a potential vacancy.

She is also furious about media discussion questioning how the club is run eg Michael Stewart and Tom English on Sportsound on Monday night saying Levein has far too much power and no real accountability. FWIW I largely agree with Stewart but his assertion that Levein runs the club would have been a red rag to a bull. 

I think the whole statement - and the "genuine Hearts supporters" line - needs to be read in that context. She is angry and defensive. She isn't intending to have a go at us but at guys like Stewart (and maybe Gary Mackay and Alan Preston) who she sees as stirring up the support against the manager and his team which is only making things worse.

The only surprise in the statement is that she doesn't reference Sir Alex Ferguson and the importance of being patient and supporting rather than sacking the manager.

I think she is wrong to accept Levein's excuses for his mismanagement of significant resources, giving long contracts to unproven or ageing players, signing more players to replace players he had signed (or sanctioned) and then deemed not good enough; and above all the poor performance of the team over a long period.

But it is clear she believes in Levein and in his project and her unshakable faith makes her believe his promise that the good times are just around the corner when somehow miraculously it all just clicks into place.

And now that Washington is out til December we will not see our best eleven until then at the earliest and so if things don't improve, Levein has his ready made excuse.

It is all utterly depressing.

But then there's a bit of me desperately hoping she is right and we start playing better, go on a winning run, win the League Cup and finish the season in the European places. 

24 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain .Can I trouble you again?Rightly or wrongly many of us have just let others get on with it.Its often the case but an active membership could have considerable influence then?

What if the board refused to resign in such a scenario as you describe and the FOH reps on the board were thought to be part of the problem by the FOH membership?

If one or more HMFC directors refused to resign, then they could be removed at an HMFC EGM simply by FOH's voting power.

If it is felt by the FOH membership that the FOH appointees to the HMFC Board weren't doing a good job, then the easiest route to having them removed would be by calling an FOH EGM with a motion of no confidence in the appointees.  That would require 5% of the FOH membership to sign up to the motion before an EGM could be called, then to win the vote with a simple majority at the EGM itself.

It is territory that I hope that FOH would never find itself.

That said, If there were sufficient activists within the FOH membership, then it would be possible for them to change the whole way that both the Club and FOH operates. Stopping that sort of thing from happening would depend on the level of apathy among the wider FOH membership.   

Edit: I think that it is actually quite useful to go through some of these scenarios as a stress test of FOH's proposed governance model.  I did suggest to FOH that it would have been better if the FOH shareholding was put into a Trust rather than remain at the whim of the active FOH pledgers at any point in time.

Edited by Footballfirst

48 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I noted that too. Would like to know what she meant. It frankly sounded a bit like the sort of thing you would read on here.

4 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

I noted that too. Would like to know what she meant. It frankly sounded a bit like the sort of thing you would read on here.

Indeed

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

15 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

She can try and control, silence and sanitise us all she wants but EVERYONE who is a Hearts fan is a 'genuine' Hearts fan. Wether you are a choir boy or an unsavoury jakeball thug and there is NOTHING her ladyship can do to change this. She can ban every Tom Dick and Harry all she wants and ensure the world see her in the nice light she craves but she will never stop people being Hearts fans.

I think she mistakenly thinks your a Hearts supporter if you accept the glorious path CL has us on. 

I’d point her to the Fenlon/Butcher scenario for an example how relegation can speed up onto you.  

We have a great squad but a manager who’s deluded and well past it. And given the track record of injuries and the fact he plays injured players (putting them out longer) means there’s a fair to high chance that under his continued tenure we will have injuries all season. Therefore it is a huge problem. Proved by results over the last 11 months.

she can’t see this though, and neither should genuine Hearts supporters according to her.

utterly depressing.

ill be at Easter road desperate for 3 points. Only the fact they seem as bad gives me hope

39 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

The "consequences" of sacking him?  Like what?  Actually winning a football match?

Possibly sparing Fox and Daly, or even appointing McCann, in each case to work with Levein as DOF. 

With tensions already running high the statement will only add more fuel to the fire should we lose on Sunday. 

Things could get ugly and it would be a great shame given all the good she's done for the club. 

34 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If one or more HMFC directors refused to resign, then they could be removed at an HMFC EGM simply by FOH's voting power.

If it is felt by the FOH membership that the FOH appointees to the HMFC Board weren't doing a good job, then the easiest route to having them removed would be by calling an FOH EGM with a motion of no confidence in the appointees.  That would require 5% of the FOH membership to sign up to the motion before an EGM could be called, then to win the vote with a simple majority at the EGM itself.

It is territory that I hope that FOH would never find itself.

That said, If there were sufficient activists within the FOH membership, then it would be possible for them to change the whole way that both the Club and FOH operates. Stopping that sort of thing from happening would depend on the level of apathy among the wider FOH membership.   

Edit: I think that it is actually quite useful to go through some of these scenarios as a stress test of FOH's proposed governance model.  I did suggest to FOH that it would have been better if the FOH shareholding was put into a Trust rather than remain at the whim of the active FOH pledgers at any point in time.

Thanks again for the excellent explanation. A lot of food for thought but you have left me clearer on the issues.