Walk up ticket prices

Rocky jamboa

Rocky jamboa
16 minutes ago, Boab said:

From 70p !

That was a 40% rise !

Imagine that now, Dave !

I remember the outcry when Mercer put prices up to £10 for the Bayern Munich game! However, it was probably £6 back then so almost double the price! Seems a bargain now!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Robbo-Jambo

• leginten

• Rocky jamboa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an issue a fan owned club hopefully will actively consider.

It is difficult when you can set prices at a level you can make a good income. When capacity is restricted. Where incomes are generally pretty good. If we don't have say Halkett, Walker and Naismith maybe we could charge a bit less. 

But excluding people is a concern. If you look at the Sticky thread - Donate Tickets for Future Jambos thread its clear a lot of people can't afford tickets and how happy these people are to get to go.  

Edited by Mikey1874

Getintaethem
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Don't give me that shite. I make sacrifices to attend games. I'm far from a wealthy man. Not poor but far from wealthy. I plan ahead and budget ahead as I'm prepared to do that. I put the work in in advance in order I can get to games with my 11yrs old laddie. If I can do it so can many others.

You may have a different perspective on it when your laddie hits his late teens and things get even more expensive.  I done the same as you, Saturdays were about watching  Hearts and spending quality time with my sons.  Now they're a bit older but still in full time education it's got to the stage where it's not worth paying over a grand for season tickets, when a lot of the games are moved to suit TV etc, meaning we can't always go.  The high walk up prices will probably mean we"lol attend even fewer games.

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is getting in for free making a sacrifice? ^_^

Not when I was 8/9 years old no. It was the only way I could get to see Hearts then. I went to games on my own if no mates fancied it. I wasn't the only one either.

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, PapaShango said:

I'm going to take my 3 year old boy to his first game at the Ross County game, where's best to go with him, Gorgie stand? I notice they are doing a Kids Day before the game, has anyone been to one of these?

Gorgie Stand Upper Z is a family stand area, full of kids and families.  Designated area for them is that end, signs on back of seats saying dinnae swear cos there is kids about :thumbsup:

Great view from up there to all of the pitch and also Hearts usually play to the Gorgie end goal in the second half so better there than Roseburn I would say because it can get exciting as the game progresses, only my opinion of course.  Under 13's a fiver but adult 29 so there are cheaper seats but worth it if it is first time.

davemclaren
26 minutes ago, Boab said:

From 70p !

That was a 40% rise !

Imagine that now, Dave !

Exactly. A shocker!!  😎

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

£30 to watch Hamilton for starters. 

Regardless of how low the price is some would be priced out. 

davemclaren
24 minutes ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Comfortable, detached people in "what's the problem" shocker. 

Maybe so, but the club is effectively trying to maximise its income. That’s what businesses do. Attendances seem to flex more due to team performance as opposed to price imo. 

Forever Hearts
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Regardless of how low the price is some would be priced out. 

Of course. But at least give the average punter a chance of seeing his team. 

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

You don’t think the average punter already does? 

36 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I remember the outcry when Mercer put prices up to £10 for the Bayern Munich game! However, it was probably £6 back then so almost double the price! Seems a bargain now!

£7 for the terracing if my memory is right. Remember being a bit miffed but not as miffed as shelling out 40 sheets for the Liverpool game at Tynie a few years back.

A one off so took that pill but can’t do that kind of outlay on a regular basis. Probably why ST sales are decent these days. 

Edit: that’s £7 for normal games, had to shell out a tenner for Bayern.

Edited by Boab

Byyy The Light
6 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Ive shared a season ticket last few years with a mate who’s in similar circumstances to myself and we can’t go every week.

We’ve not renewed this year and are planning on walking up as often as we can. Does make you the think twice for games against Hamilton and that. 

I’m lucky enough to be able to afford it but catching up in the pub will def be a viable alternative at times

Stephen Muddie
24 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Maybe so, but the club is effectively trying to maximise its income. That’s what businesses do. Attendances seem to flex more due to team performance as opposed to price imo. 

Agree. Poor families would go without other stuff to go see a winning hearts team 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Agree. Poor families would go without other stuff to go see a winning hearts team 

Some always will have to unfortunately, unless you allow free entry. 

tokyowalnut
24 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Ive shared a season ticket last few years with a mate who’s in similar circumstances to myself and we can’t go every week.

We’ve not renewed this year and are planning on walking up as often as we can. Does make you the think twice for games against Hamilton and that. 

I’m lucky enough to be able to afford it but catching up in the pub will def be a viable alternative at times

A pub catch up is definitely a golden rule for the season ahead!

Forever Hearts
30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You don’t think the average punter already does? 

Nope. I class myself as average and I couldn't afford those walk up prices on a regular basis, even less so if I took my two kids. 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Nope. I class myself as average and I couldn't afford those walk up prices on a regular basis, even less so if I took my two kids. 

For an adult cat B walkup a silver ticket is £22 and a bronze £20. I think an average punter could probably afford that. Less than 4 pints in George Street. 😎

Robbo-Jambo
5 hours ago, ceefax said:

For comparison it’s £23 throughout the whole stadium for walk ups for Hibs St Mirren on Saturday 

If that's true and I don't doubt you it pains me to say but that is more reasonable.

Our dearest price is 34 quid for a game like that. 

PS. Don't tell me to go there then 😄😄

Robbo-Jambo
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

For an adult cat B walkup a silver ticket is £22 and a bronze £20. I think an average punter could probably afford that. Less than 4 pints in George Street. 😎

When I look at the cheapest seats in lower Roseburn for an adult it is 21 quid and if you want to go upper Roseburn it is saying 29 quid for the Hamilton game. 

Maybe I am missing something!! 

Rocky jamboa
46 minutes ago, Boab said:

£7 for the terracing if my memory is right. Remember being a bit miffed but not as miffed as shelling out 40 sheets for the Liverpool game at Tynie a few years back.

A one off so took that pill but can’t do that kind of outlay on a regular basis. Probably why ST sales are decent these days. 

Edit: that’s £7 for normal games, had to shell out a tenner for Bayern.

I can almost stomach paying £40 for a glamour one off game v Liverpool, Spurs etc than £34 for Hamilton. (Poor Hamilton - they seem to be getting all the stick here!).

A ST doesn't work for everyone, hence why attracting walk up customers is important also. 

Maybe introducing category C games could be a way to go for attracting fans to these less desirable games. Also, aberdeen shouldn't be a cat A game! 

Cat A - gers, celts, hobos

Cat B - Don's, killie, motherwell, st j

Cat C - Hamilton, ross co, livi and st Mirren

Forever Hearts
22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

For decent seats it is overpriced. 

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

For decent seats it is overpriced. 

That’s the challenge then I suppose. A good seat is always going to be more expensive than a not so good one. 

davemclaren
23 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

When I look at the cheapest seats in lower Roseburn for an adult it is 21 quid and if you want to go upper Roseburn it is saying 29 quid for the Hamilton game. 

I just googled the Hearts site so I might be out of date. 

joondalupjambo
58 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

A pub catch up is definitely a golden rule for the season ahead!

I think I see what you did there :thumbsup:

Forever Hearts
19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s the challenge then I suppose. A good seat is always going to be more expensive than a not so good one. 

Yes, I get that. But it doesn't have to be overpriced, and it is. 

One option would be not to have 4 pricing tiers.

Changing our system to 2 or maybe 3 tiers would help things. 

Anything over £30 in the SPFL is too much in my view. 

35 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not in all stadiums throughout the country tho. 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, ceefax said:

Not in all stadiums throughout the country tho. 

In most I would imagine. That would also tend to mean the cheapest seats are more expensive. It’s all a balancing act. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The Hearts site is still showing last years prices. 🙄

Robbo-Jambo
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The Hearts site is still showing last years prices. 🙄

Ah right.

Rocky jamboa

Just noticed adult tickets for Aberdeen away is £24. Presume their tickets for us will be gold category so £34! 

1 hour ago, Paulp74 said:

Just noticed adult tickets for Aberdeen away is £24. Presume their tickets for us will be gold category so £34! 

That's for "Uncovered" section.......£26.00 for "Covered" section & by the way, they are all "restricted view", not even worthy of  comparison with Upper Roseburn.

I attend most away games outwith "Category A" games & due to a few tinpot stadiums, not many can be described as good viewing seats. Sitting behind the goals is not what I term as "good" seats* & in the case of Aberdeen, stuck in a faraway corner is beyond a joke!! * Appreciate that's all that is on offer in most cases nowadays, including "away" support at Tynecastle.

I have a lot of sympathy for the cost of tickets these days, but posters need to accept there are "cheaper" seats available at Tynecastle, but seem to continually quoted "Premium" prices to strengthen their case...not a dig at you Paulp, but a trend on this thread. Even the "Bronze" category tickets will be outwith the budget of many fans.

3 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

I can almost stomach paying £40 for a glamour one off game v Liverpool, Spurs etc than £34 for Hamilton. (Poor Hamilton - they seem to be getting all the stick here!).

A ST doesn't work for everyone, hence why attracting walk up customers is important also. 

Maybe introducing category C games could be a way to go for attracting fans to these less desirable games. Also, aberdeen shouldn't be a cat A game! 

Cat A - gers, celts, hobos

Cat B - Don's, killie, motherwell, st j

Cat C - Hamilton, ross co, livi and st Mirren

Keeping the sheep at Cat A, regardless of how it was named...Cat B+ or some shite.......when Hibs came up, was basically, a scam !

7 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You probably see more gold/platinum seats available because the majority of the silver seating is taken up by season ticket holders?

I know N will be different to the likes of B or C but it’s always been the same season ticket holders in there. 

I've had an ST in section E upper since the Wheatfield was built, it's platinum. Never many spare seats available there mostly in the end sections of Wheatfield which are not platinum so I'd argue the opposite Phil.

3 hours ago, ceefax said:

Agree a simpler system is needed platinum should become gold for example. We actually have 5 tiers of pricing if you include premium in the.new main stand.

23 hours ago, Section Q said:

What about a standard discount for FoH contributors. Like many on here I pledged from the beginning and have no plan to stop.

I'm the same. £20 a month since the very beginning. Not the most but it is what I can manage without noticing.

However, if i lived in/closer to Edinburgh and was going every week it would probably be at the cost of my pledge. I'm aware the club would technically make more money that way but the pledges are a budgeted income now, plus it makes you feel part of something.

As it stands I usually attend Tynecastle once a month/6 weeks. And pick decent away ties to go to as home games are effectively away games for me anyway.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
9 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

I would prefer to go to a Hearts game than man c, man u etc cos I'm a Hearts fan. However, the price should reflect what's on offer. £34 to go and watch hazard, pogba, sterling, salah etc or £34 to watch players the standard of clare, uche, that thug darrion McKinnon or whatever his name is etc who cant string two passes together? It's like being charged the same to see the rolling stones and busted!

If you're a Busted fan, and you like the music of Busted and couldn't give a shit about the Rolling Stones, then you'd rather go and see Busted. 

The "standard of football" should come way down the list of priorities IMO, number one on the list should be "caring about who wins the game". 

EDIT: I want to reiterate though, I do agree with you it's too expensive, £30 or whatever it is is ridiculous. 

Edited by Stupid Sexy Flanders

10 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

Re your last point, yes, I think most people get that but does it not concern you that these prices will turn fans away, result in lower attendances, affect the famous Tynecastle atmosphere by having 3/4 full stadiums and possibly have a long term impact on attendances as we're not hooking in young fans, who become fans for life? Surely you would like to see Tynecastle packed out every week and would be concerned at seeing dwindling crowds?

FWIW, I think season tickets are too expensive as well and should also be reduced. Not all fans can make every game either, hence why picking and choosing games is the only option. 

We've built up a pretty solid fan base. 13k people renewing season tickets and regularly getting 17k+ home crowds (last season anyway) despite 3 poor seasons on the trot. Why would the club jeopardise that by taking the fans for granted, charging over the odds, resulting in folk walking away?

I think the STs are reasonable but the walk up prices are frightening.

If I didn't have my ST it would be off putting to find £38 for a match that is likely to be on TV anyway.

The discounts on kids and students tickets are good but as the club wont sell to U13 without an adult also buying there is a danger that young fans could be getting turned away.

It's a bit unfair to compare our prices with EPL teams though as there is so much money floating around the English scene the money they get from TV subsidises cheaper tickets. 

Didn't Liverpool fans not stage protests over high ticket prices not so long ago ?

My worry is that it cuts off less well off fans. Taking your wife and kids out to watch a game will put you back close to (if not over) £100 just in tickets. I think if your dad doesn't take you to the football as a kid it can make it a harder habit to build, I mean I think most fans are childhood fans and so have that emotional connection. I think its also worth pointing out that you cannot have a stadium where 90% or something ridiculous is hospitality - virtually all of the stadium is Platinum or Gold... the stadium isn't in reality all that, what is currently gold I don't feel is actually gold. I think the lack of availability of lower price points will drive away fans in the long run.

Unfortunately the reality (due to Neil Doncasters inability to negotiate a fair TV deal) is that ticket sales are where Scottish clubs make the lion share of their money. 

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/uploads/tinymce/FINAL SIGNED ACCOUNTS - Electronic Signature.pdf

If I'm reading this correctly, gate receipts in 2018 made up nearly half our income making it the single largest income stream the club has. Its not something we can afford to **** about with. Any decreases will hurt us massively. I think if you look at other leagues (literally any league in europe which isn't looked on as piss poor) and generally speaking commercial income will substantially outweigh gate receipts. 

TLDR: You want cheaper tickets? Put pressure on the club to put pressure on the SPFL to negotiate more effectively. We're being robbed through incompetence, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing time and time again and expecting different results. Neil Doncaster is not capable of negotiating for us effectively and we should therefore find someone who can and will. 

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

My worry is that it cuts off less well off fans. Taking your wife and kids out to watch a game will put you back close to (if not over) £100 just in tickets. I think if your dad doesn't take you to the football as a kid it can make it a harder habit to build, I mean I think most fans are childhood fans and so have that emotional connection. I think its also worth pointing out that you cannot have a stadium where 90% or something ridiculous is hospitality - virtually all of the stadium is Platinum or Gold... the stadium isn't in reality all that, what is currently gold I don't feel is actually gold. I think the lack of availability of lower price points will drive away fans in the long run.

Unfortunately the reality (due to Neil Doncasters inability to negotiate a fair TV deal) is that ticket sales are where Scottish clubs make the lion share of their money. 

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/uploads/tinymce/FINAL SIGNED ACCOUNTS - Electronic Signature.pdf

If I'm reading this correctly, gate receipts in 2018 made up nearly half our income making it the single largest income stream the club has. Its not something we can afford to **** about with. Any decreases will hurt us massively. I think if you look at other leagues (literally any league in europe which isn't looked on as piss poor) and generally speaking commercial income will substantially outweigh gate receipts. 

TLDR: You want cheaper tickets? Put pressure on the club to put pressure on the SPFL to negotiate more effectively. We're being robbed through incompetence, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing time and time again and expecting different results. Neil Doncaster is not capable of negotiating for us effectively and we should therefore find someone who can and will. 

Yes I agree with you especially the bit about families not being able to afford to take their kids.

We are supposed to be family friendly yet are pricing them out the club. 

What's the point of having dirt cheap tickets for kids if their parents can't afford to go along with them ?

Byyy The Light
5 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Yes I agree with you especially the bit about families not being able to afford to take their kids.

We are supposed to be family friendly yet are pricing them out the club. 

What's the point of having dirt cheap tickets for kids if their parents can't afford to go along with them ?

Cat B family season tickets are the answer

Nookie Bear

I’m not sure those prices deter just the fans with less money. It also deters those who have spare cash but also want value for money and they will weigh up £30+ with either watching the game on the box or just spending it on something else. 

Put it this way, although it’s difficukt to quantify prices like this will never encourage new fans to come along and nor will they encourage lapsed or part-timers to do the same. It will, however, definitely encourage people to find something else to spend their money on. 

Nookie Bear

...and another thing, it would be interesting to see the demographic of football supports these days. I would guess that the age group we see less of is the 16-25 group, where you have to pay full price but do not have the spare cash to commit every week. 

Robbo-Jambo
15 hours ago, ceefax said:

I wonder if any other club in Scotland has 4 pricing tiers apart from the 2 arse cheeks? 

35 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

I wonder if any other club in Scotland has 4 pricing tiers apart from the 2 arse cheeks? 

As another poster mentioned, we actually have 5 tiers if you include the premium section in the Main Stand! 

Either the amount of tiers need restructured or the pricing does.