Djoum away!!!

DB-14

TyphoonJambo
15 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

This is where I'm at.  I've seen much worse Hearts teams dragged up by better players who take responsibility and the game by the scruff of the neck.  Djoum did this maybe a handful of times and even then I'm being generous.

For 3-4 years, we've lacked leadership in the middle of the park.  Djoum is an international, an AFCON winner but we've not seen this in his displays for Hearts and if he did, then being played slightly out of position wouldn't have made a difference.

IMO his replačement is already at the club in Connor Smith.  He's played in 2 games; one at Easter road and one at Celtic Park.  On both occasions, he showed vision and a bit of drive and I think now is his time.  He's captain for internationally for his age group so he clearly has the respect of his peers.  I think he would be an upgrade on Djoum technically and in his effect on the team as a whole.

Would be absolutely fantastic to see one of the youngsters excel in his place

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Pasquale for King

• J80MBO

• Mikey1874

Glad we are shot of him tbh

Towards the end of the season I concentrated on watching Djoum (wasn’t really much else of interest happening on the pitch tbf) with the intention of maybe suddenly getting why some people rated him so highly and I noticed the following things about his play

When given time and space on the ball it went backwards or sideways with the pass quite often being behind the recipient

Forward passes normally happened when he was under pressure

When we had a thrown in the middle third of the pitch he would run over to be close enough to take the ball but didn’t open his body up to actually take the ball

Tracking back, more often than not he would take the opposition player least likely to receive the ball rather than go to the man on the ball or the most likely recipient

Overall assessment was that he will retain possession but to the detriment of the speed of play and manages to move enough to look like he’s working without actually contributing very much, I’m confident that even with youth players that our midfield play will improve without him

20 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

This is where I'm at.  I've seen much worse Hearts teams dragged up by better players who take responsibility and the game by the scruff of the neck.  Djoum did this maybe a handful of times and even then I'm being generous.

For 3-4 years, we've lacked leadership in the middle of the park.  Djoum is an international, an AFCON winner but we've not seen this in his displays for Hearts and if he did, then being played slightly out of position wouldn't have made a difference.

IMO his replačement is already at the club in Connor Smith.  He's played in 2 games; one at Easter road and one at Celtic Park.  On both occasions, he showed vision and a bit of drive and I think now is his time.  He's captain for internationally for his age group so he clearly has the respect of his peers.  I think he would be an upgrade on Djoum technically and in his effect on the team as a whole.

Excellent post. 

Fully agree about Connor. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Smithee said:

When Paterson went to Cardiff they paid us nothing didn't they? The way I remember it was that he was 23 so no compensation was due, however he did ask for a sell on fee to be inserted so we'd get something if he moved.

There must be more to it though, I remember that while we had to play a six figure fee to sign Clare, any English club would have had to shell out (IIRC) over 2 million. I don't know if that's because we play to the bare minimum rules set by UEFA/FIFA while English clubs maybe have more expensive rules in place set by the FA/ league. 

Cross border fees are strange, Celtic got Dembélé for £500k and made nearly £20m with a sell in clause for example. We had to pay €180k for Clare as it was three years compensation. 

The article I put up shows what we would have to pay for Cadden I think. 

We got £400k and a sell on fee, they said at the time it was Paterson that insisted on it but it appears it’s compulsory. As we’ve seen recently Cardiff are not likely to give away money if they can help it.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reason-callum-paterson-chose-cardiff-13152773

Psychedelicropcircle

Thought he was good in the Robbie era Cathro nor CL have been able to utilise him since good luck all the same sir?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

Then why has no one ever come in to sign him? 

The footballing world obviously doesn’t see what the experts on here see. 

Has anyone come in to sign any of our players including Souttar, who everyone on here thinks he’s twice the player that McKenna is. Only football folk and three international managers disagree (I don’t).

Edited by Pasquale for King

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Cross border fees are strange, Celtic got Dembélé for £500k and made nearly £20m with a sell in clause for example. We had to pay €180k for Clare as it was three years compensation. 

The article I put up shows what we would have to pay for Cadden I think. 

We got £400k and a sell on fee, they said at the time it was Paterson that insisted on it but it appears it’s compulsory. As we’ve seen recently Cardiff are not likely to give away money if they can help it.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reason-callum-paterson-chose-cardiff-13152773

Fair enough, I'm normally good with remembering fees but I can see I got that one wrong and that he was 22 when he went. The sell-on was definitely Dr Fs thing though, that wasn't compulsory. 

I notice oxford are classed as a category 3 club though which affects the price. I wonder if we're a lower category than those in the english league we were up against with Clare.

2 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Then why has no one ever come in to sign him? 

The footballing world obviously doesn’t see what the experts on here see. 

I do believe this is a forum to offer up opinions correct? #noexpertsonhere

9 minutes ago, ducatiboy said:

I do believe this is a forum to offer up opinions correct? #noexpertsonhere

And yours is? 

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I don’t believe for a minute that we have not been speaking to potential replacements for midfield.

Also, how do we know that the club hadn’t pulled any contract offer? It might just not be something we announced.

This is an interesting point but I think we would have to have done so before we even think of signing someone as a direct replacement - although there would be no harm in having 2 players for the same role if we can afford it.

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I notice oxford are classed as a category 3 club though which affects the price. I wonder if we're a lower category than those in the english league we were up against with Clare.

CL has been quoted previously as saying we were the same category as Sheffield Wednesday which I think was category 2.

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

"He just played in a rubbish midfield" is the best reason for how poor he was overall.

And he did not even stand out much in this 'rubbish midfield' would be my response.

Still after 4 marvellous years he's finally made it to one of the 5 big leagues...........eh hang on!!!

Never seen it and never will - to me he was pish and not up for the challenge

6 minutes ago, Drumjambo said:

Still after 4 marvellous years he's finally made it to one of the 5 big leagues...........eh hang on!!!

Never seen it and never will - to me he was pish and not up for the challenge

Agreed.

Edited by i8hibsh

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

CL has been quoted previously as saying we were the same category as Sheffield Wednesday which I think was category 2.

I didn't know that, but it would be the category of the signing club that matters, and the talk was that clubs like Spurs and Everton didn't want to shell out that much on a guy who'd been injured. They'd be category 1 clubs you'd think.

Edited by Smithee

Mr Brightside
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I didn't know that, but it would be the category of the signing club that matters, and the talk was that clubs like Spurs and Everton didn't want to shell out that much on a guy who'd been injured. They'd be category 1 clubs you'd think.

From the way it was written I think the grade of both teams affect the compensation fee, but I am not sure how.

Everton would have needed to pay much more for Clare as it would have been an internal transfer (rather than Everton’s category) with the fee set by a tribunal.

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

May I just add, I have yet to see this news on the official Hearts site.

Presumably because he left the club when his contract was up so technically there is no news. 

Dallas Green

I thought Djoum was a good player. No doubt he was on a decent wedge though, hopefully one of the youngsters can step up into the role.

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Presumably because he left the club when his contract was up so technically there is no news. 

Sums up his spell at Hearts imo. Went without notice.

Nelly Terraces

His shooting.:laugh2:

Over the bar. Or the odd piss weak trundle to the goalie.

Every. Single. Fecking. Time.

my Djoum analogy

Meet a girl in the pub and have a few drinks, flirting starts get yourself excited about getting her home... get in the taxi and she’s all over you like a tramp on chips, get her in the front door and the foreplay is good... then the sex is like riding a sack of spuds!

In other words...

The build up is good, promises much but the end product is poor!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Glad we are shot of him tbh

Towards the end of the season I concentrated on watching Djoum (wasn’t really much else of interest happening on the pitch tbf) with the intention of maybe suddenly getting why some people rated him so highly and I noticed the following things about his play

When given time and space on the ball it went backwards or sideways with the pass quite often being behind the recipient

Forward passes normally happened when he was under pressure

When we had a thrown in the middle third of the pitch he would run over to be close enough to take the ball but didn’t open his body up to actually take the ball

Tracking back, more often than not he would take the opposition player least likely to receive the ball rather than go to the man on the ball or the most likely recipient

Overall assessment was that he will retain possession but to the detriment of the speed of play and manages to move enough to look like he’s working without actually contributing very much, I’m confident that even with youth players that our midfield play will improve without him

So you must have seen him keep running and winning the ball back to retain possession?

old school tie

Remember when this slaver walked in the door. He told us that he was using us as a stepping stone to the EPL.?

Then he had an offer from a top club in France?

Then it was a big bucks gig in Cyprus ?

And he ends up a desert rat ?

He could have signed a pre-contract with anybody back in January, but nobody, apart from Levein, wanted him.

The only thing that I'll miss from the slaver is him taking out the seagulls on the stand roof with his attempts at goal.

5 minutes ago, old school tie said:

Remember when this slaver walked in the door. He told us that he was using us as a stepping stone to the EPL.?

Then he had an offer from a top club in France?

Then it was a big bucks gig in Cyprus ?

And he ends up a desert rat ?

He could have signed a pre-contract with anybody back in January, but nobody, apart from Levein, wanted him.

The only thing that I'll miss from the slaver is him taking out the seagulls on the stand roof with his attempts at goal.

Do you really think folk earning thousands per week in Saudi are living rough? 

Jambof3tornado

Read earlier something about 18 assists in 132 games.

Thought it was a poor ratio.

Wonder if he'll still get picked for cameroon while playing in Saudi.

17 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

So you must have seen him keep running and winning the ball back to retain possession?

On the few occasions he did win a challenge cleanly he mostly did retain possession, ableit with a sideways pass

41 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Every time? Strange, I seem to remember him scoring 16 goals for us.

Super_Hans
47 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

The most recent example being that chance to equalise against Hibs at Tynecastle in April. Pathetic attempt.

Sums his time up here really. Good player against teams like Hamilton at home but constantly failed to turn up in the big games.

9 minutes ago, Royal Jambo said:

The most recent example being that chance to equalise against Hibs at Tynecastle in April. Pathetic attempt.

Sums his time up here really. Good player against teams like Hamilton at home but constantly failed to turn up in the big games.

Thought he was very good in the cup final?

?‍♂️

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Fair enough, I'm normally good with remembering fees but I can see I got that one wrong and that he was 22 when he went. The sell-on was definitely Dr Fs thing though, that wasn't compulsory. 

It’s in the link, it’s compulsory that a club gets a 4.5% sell on fee. He might’ve got us a bigger one but it wasn’t his or Cardiff’s choice to do it.

4 hours ago, Finlay James said:

You could be on the money here 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s in the link, it’s compulsory that a club gets a 4.5% sell on fee. He might’ve got us a bigger one but it wasn’t his or Cardiff’s choice to do it.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing

"And though the Bluebirds paid Hearts £400,000 in compensation and Paterson insisted a sell-on fee was included his three-year contract, fans and journalists have hailed the move as a coup and a bargain for Neil Warnock's side."

Super_Hans
11 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Thought he was very good in the cup final?

?‍♂️

Didn't think he was very good. Thought he played well as did most of the team but that's the least I'd expect from one of our most experienced players and an AFCOM winner.

6 minutes ago, Royal Jambo said:

Didn't think he was very good. Thought he played well as did most of the team but that's the least I'd expect from one of our most experienced players and an AFCOM winner.

‘Good’. ‘Very good’. Open to interpretation.

He turned up in a game that doesn’t get much bigger.

Something you said he constantly failed to do.

Super_Hans
2 minutes ago, Whatever said:

‘Good’. ‘Very good’. Open to interpretation.

He turned up in a game that doesn’t get much bigger.

Something you said he constantly failed to do.

Okay, poor choice of word. Replace 'constantly' with 'regularly'.

That better?

All I have to say is I hope we use the freed up wage to sign his International teammate, Yaya Banana.

chester copperpot

Djoum is a bit of an enigma. I have seen flashes in him that suggest he could play to a much higher standard.

Again, those flashes are too few and far. Think he would do better in a higher league but he ain't a grab the game by the scruff of the neck kind of player.

12 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Djoum is a bit of an enigma. I have seen flashes in him that suggest he could play to a much higher standard.

Again, those flashes are too few and far. Think he would do better in a higher league but he ain't a grab the game by the scruff of the neck kind of player.

The injury wrecked his progress and he turned out to be one of those players who needed to leave to push on.

I think there are too many players these days who will not gamble and take a sideways step in order to rebuild and push on - he's one of those players.

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

my Djoum analogy

Meet a girl in the pub and have a few drinks, flirting starts get yourself excited about getting her home... get in the taxi and she’s all over you like a tramp on chips, get her in the front door and the foreplay is good... then the sex is like riding a sack of spuds!

In other words...

The build up is good, promises much but the end product is poor!

Rudy, you're clearly going about things in the wrong way  lol

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Every time? Strange, I seem to remember him scoring 16 goals for us.

He's been in the team nearly 4 seasons and played nearly 140 games thats 1 more gaol than David Turnbull in the last 6 months......

his two efforts in the h1b5 game last year...........Barn door and shotgun spring to mind. 

Pasquale for King

I'm not seeing what you're seeing

"And though the Bluebirds paid Hearts £400,000 in compensation and Paterson insisted a sell-on fee was included his three-year contract, fans and journalists have hailed the move as a coup and a bargain for Neil Warnock's side."

Sorry I meant the link about Cadden.

979921D4-8C35-41DC-8B8A-DFBA8E0DDAD0.png

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Rudy, you're clearly going about things in the wrong way  lol

C’mon it’s happened to the best of us?

Unknown user
39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry I meant the link about Cadden.

979921D4-8C35-41DC-8B8A-DFBA8E0DDAD0.png

Ok I certainly didn't know that, I'll need to look up this mechanism

Pretty sure it filters payments down to every single club a player has been with. Complicated as feck.

17 hours ago, WageThief said:

Wonderful stuff and perhaps a perfect analogy for Djoum.  

Much like drop D tuning, people who know their stuff can hear the difference an EQ makes. 

Most trolls on KB are like Liam Gallagher.  Just the same endless drivel over and over thinking it is original.

But you are more like Noel Gallagher.  For every "shine on" you might just get a snippet of originality.

Naismith is like 12 tone technique.  He makes all the others play even if they aren't as in tune as he is.

Berra is our Mark E Smith.  He doesn't know how to play really but he's still the best at what he does.

Clare is like an old valve amp, he's gonna get better the longer we leave him on.

Souttar is an old valuable valve amp that people thought was awful and now forget and think he's a solid state amp that they always liked.

Uche is like the loudness wars.  Constantly getting his head battered into the red due to poor oversight from officials.

Walker will be our strawberry fields.  Two completely separate takes from different times, tempos and keys spliced into a beautiful whole by the master arranger.

We need to sign a new midfielder who is like Jeff Mills.  Someone who starts fast and ends fast and is consistently brilliant.  We can do without another minimalist like Hawtin.

This could be the best analogy I've ever seen haha ?

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I didn’t either until I read that, not sure if it’s a new thing. A bit of a grey area all round it seems. 

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, graygo said:

Pretty sure it filters payments down to every single club a player has been with. Complicated as feck.

It’s a good idea in reality.