Djoum away!!!

DB-14

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, Gimme an H... said:

Was*

He was signed as a centre half but once we played him at Centre Mid it was plain to see how good he was there.

He's there to win headers, win second balls, tackle and pass to the creative players. Which he does very well. 

If we can replace Djoum with someone who can boss the midfield further up we'll be laughing. 

It was almost as if he'd played there before! 

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Pasquale for King

• J80MBO

• Mikey1874

pettigrewsstylist
9 minutes ago, jambocub said:

Never wanted to be playing for us for a while and never his the fact

Thats why im delighted his hands no longer in the cookie jar, despite us begging him to take one more.

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Chaps said:

Good! Been hooring himself to play down in England soon as he got here.

Thought we had a player on our hands when he first signed he was superb. Never really kicked on though. The skill he used to win a penalty against Motherwell was sublime.

????

24 minutes ago, combo74 said:

Underrated and under-appreciated is my assessment of Djoum. A very good football player, great at breaking up play and technically very good. Rarely wasted a pass and great at getting out of tight situations. Career with Hearts was stop/start due to bad injuries and suffered a bit as a result of managerial change and an underperforming team. However it won’t be easy to pick up an international of similar ability to replace him.

Talk of him being lazy and a wage thief is nonsense...we have a right miserable, overly critical bunch of fans.

Aye by giving away costly free kicks all the time...

Hope we get some proper old school hard ***** to replace him with a great engine and a guy who not just wants to win as I am sure all players do, but MUST win.

I think to sum him up would be to compare him to a graphic equalizer on an old stacking system hi - fi.

Looked fancy

Foreign appeal

Bragged about having one

Looked the part

Stylish

Cost a bit more

But at the end of the day it was ****ing pointless and made absolutely no difference to the output.

gashauskis9

I’m clearly in the minority here.  I think he’ll be difficult to replace.  Sad to see him go, on his day he’s one of the best players in league.  Been covering two midfield positions at the same time for two years so hardly surprising that most of his hard work goes unseen.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I’m clearly in the minority here.  I think he’ll be difficult to replace.  Sad to see him go, on his day he’s one of the best players in league.  Been covering two midfield positions at the same time for two years so hardly surprising that most of his hard work goes unseen.

He was fantastic under Neilson - a revelation. It then looked like him and Adao would be great together until he got injured. Since he came back he's been tidy in possession and, contrary to the lazy accusations, a hard worker and competitive, but his goals dried up and he was never influential enough in terms of making things happen.

I was trying to compare Djoum to past players and I couldn't think of anyone similar. Maybe Robert Tomaschek or Thomas Flogel. Not as good or versatile as Flogel but he did get played all over midfield like Tam was.

I honestly think Edwards or Cochrane could come in and offer a bit more to the team as a whole depending how we lineup.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Byyy The Light
14 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Hope we get some proper old school hard ***** to replace him with a great engine and a guy who not just wants to win as I am sure all players do, but MUST win.

One of them’ll do me ??

Enzo Chiefo
3 hours ago, rick witter said:

Break out the bubbly the wage thief is gone!!!! 

A player with obvious ability who tried only when he wanted to. Usually when it was contract renewal time. 

Plenty better players out there than him. 

Why did the powers that be not see through him? The fans saw him for what he was but the club are probably still giving him every chance to sign , as and when suits him. Bizarre. 

4 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

You are not alone

Too many on here are simply joining on a bandwagon started by a few who seem to think football is all about being seen to run about and shout loudly at other players

Djoum was a good player for us and he will be missed and he is far better than quite a few left behind such as Edwards, Bozanic and co

He played at a time when, for much of it we were poor, with constant changes at all levels never mind he also had a significant injury.  

I hope he does well and he is simply looking after his future with I'm sure a well paid contract abroad

rick witter
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Why did the powers that be not see through him? The fans saw him for what he was but the club are probably still giving him every chance to sign , as and when suits him. Bizarre. 

I would hope Craig Levein has known for a while he was not going to be staying and has a plan in place to get someone else in. 

Very poor planning if he has not. 

It shows what the fans thought of him that the vast majority are not bothered he is away. 

He will be forgotten about very quickly. 

Edited by rick witter

1 minute ago, rick witter said:

I would hope Craig Levein has known for a while he was not going to be staying and has a plan in place to get someone else in. 

Very poor planning if he has not. 

You would hope... but what if he didn't know?

You're always looking for a negative.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's not bizarre because he's a very good player at this level, he just didn't continue to do what I think many people expected him to do after his initial impact under Neilson. At that time Djoum said himself he was surprised he was scoring too much as he was always a more defensive midfielder. So I think a lot of our fan base view him as a No. 10. Giving him the No. 10 shirt and then never playing him as a traditional No. 10 never helped there mind you! It's a number that comes with a lot of high expectations. 

King prawn

I live quite far away so I don’t have the same evidence as a lot of people on here to back up a point .. but the times I did get to see Djoum he came across as an inconsistent player who was being asked to do a different role every time I saw him play.

Didn't help himself by involved in some games and not others but probably let down a bit by being moved all around the midfield. 

Happy to see him go. Was very ineffective over the second half of the season. I never got the vibe that he was fully committed to hearts over the past season in fact that was obvious, whether he was still trying to get over his injury only he knows. 

Cochrane should see this as an opportunity, I think there could be good balance with Naismith as a 10 and Cochrane and Haring behind, with Washington and mulraney/walker either side, just an opinion ofcourse...

132goals1958
51 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Add me to the minority

There wasn't exactly a rush of clubs after his signature. 

He's ended up just chasing the cash.

Seems to be all he was interested in anyway.

Enzo Chiefo
35 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's not bizarre because he's a very good player at this level, he just didn't continue to do what I think many people expected him to do after his initial impact under Neilson. At that time Djoum said himself he was surprised he was scoring too much as he was always a more defensive midfielder. So I think a lot of our fan base view him as a No. 10. Giving him the No. 10 shirt and then never playing him as a traditional No. 10 never helped there mind you! It's a number that comes with a lot of high expectations. 

I always thought his attitude left a lot to be desired tbh. I agree he was probably played out of position,  but, he certainly didn't justify the time we have given him to make a decision. He should have been given a deadline of 31 May to sign or see the offer withdrawn. It's all very topical but you can't negotiate without reserving the right , and making the threat, to walk away.

pettigrewsstylist

His constant whoring of himself to anyone in England that may be listening was embarrassing and hardly likely to endear him to fans. 

If he does end up in KSA i think that says volumes about his appeal as a footballer.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I think to sum him up would be to compare him to a graphic equalizer on an old stacking system hi - fi.

Looked fancy

Foreign appeal

Bragged about having one

Looked the part

Stylish

Cost a bit more

But at the end of the day it was ****ing pointless and made absolutely no difference to the output.

Wonderful stuff and perhaps a perfect analogy for Djoum.  

Much like drop D tuning, people who know their stuff can hear the difference an EQ makes. 

Most trolls on KB are like Liam Gallagher.  Just the same endless drivel over and over thinking it is original.

But you are more like Noel Gallagher.  For every "shine on" you might just get a snippet of originality.

Naismith is like 12 tone technique.  He makes all the others play even if they aren't as in tune as he is.

Berra is our Mark E Smith.  He doesn't know how to play really but he's still the best at what he does.

Clare is like an old valve amp, he's gonna get better the longer we leave him on.

Souttar is an old valuable valve amp that people thought was awful and now forget and think he's a solid state amp that they always liked.

Uche is like the loudness wars.  Constantly getting his head battered into the red due to poor oversight from officials.

Walker will be our strawberry fields.  Two completely separate takes from different times, tempos and keys spliced into a beautiful whole by the master arranger.

We need to sign a new midfielder who is like Jeff Mills.  Someone who starts fast and ends fast and is consistently brilliant.  We can do without another minimalist like Hawtin.

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

No mate you are not, you nailed it on the head perfectly, he's been a great signing and been playing in a rubbish midfield for far too long. He will be very hard to replace, especially with our current track record in the transfer market!

59 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Add me to the minority

And me.

Fantastic player who we'll really struggle to replace.

Yes, frustrated with some of his performances at times but I feel there were mitigating circumstances through either injury or garbage around him.

Jambof3tornado

I've a feeling in my waters that Levein is going to pull a rabbit out the hat with djoums replacement.

We can but hope.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You do know he is going to Saudi????? Honestly your trolling is hilarious these days

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

You are not alone

Too many on here are simply joining on a bandwagon started by a few who seem to think football is all about being seen to run about and shout loudly at other players

Djoum was a good player for us and he will be missed and he is far better than quite a few left behind such as Edwards, Bozanic and co

He played at a time when, for much of it we were poor, with constant changes at all levels never mind he also had a significant injury.  

I hope he does well and he is simply looking after his future with I'm sure a well paid contract abroad

Well said.

52 minutes ago, Super T said:

And me.

Fantastic player who we'll really struggle to replace.

Yes, frustrated with some of his performances at times but I feel there were mitigating circumstances through either injury or garbage around him.

Well put, that's how I see it too

davemclaren

Folk’s views are totally irrelevant now he has gone. It’s the quality of his replacement that matters. 

johnthomas
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I always thought his attitude left a lot to be desired tbh. I agree he was probably played out of position,  but, he certainly didn't justify the time we have given him to make a decision. He should have been given a deadline of 31 May to sign or see the offer withdrawn. It's all very topical but you can't negotiate without reserving the right , and making the threat, to walk away.

Did his contract finish on 31st May ?

Not sure what deadline you give somebody who is out of (or almost) contract .

Apparently he is off chasing more money ! Really ? Professional

footballer ? Whatever next ?

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, OTT said:

Its not an all or nothing situation, unless Motherwell make it so. I believe we made an offer of somewhere around £150k earlier in the season. That was during the season, its now close season and I think speaking to Motherwell again, in good faith might yield better results. Motherwell aren't unreasonable, they're also not loaded with cash. They are a selling club and when faced with losing an asset for nothing they'll be looking to come to some sort of agreement, perhaps in the way of a sell on clause. 

A lot of us think Souttar is worth north of £5m, but as with all things a player is only worth as much as people are willing to pay. Now, Motherwell can try and risk playing hardball to potentially lose him for nothing, or perhaps offer him a new contract to have an unhappy player because he didn't get the move he wanted. I think its in their interests to come to a deal if we are actually interested. 

Cadden is not worth £400k, otherwise they would have been able to offload him already. £150k is a good offer and I hope if we do still want him, something can be worked out. 

I think if they have offered him a new contract then anyone who wants to sign him HAS to pay the £400k compensation fee, I don’t think it’s negotiable if he goes within the UK. When Paterson went to Cardiff they had to pay us the £400k fee, when Holt went to Rangers they only paid £65k as we didn’t offer him a contract and accepted that fee. I could be wrong though.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As per basic economics, a players value is only as much as someone is willing to pay for him. Unlike Rangers and Celtic who can both afford £500k-£1m for a player easy, the most Hearts can pay for a player is about £200k. We’ve had to rebuild a squad starting from 0 players, got to be careful when you’ve just gone bust only 5 years back. Don’t think it would have unsettled the boy, it’s nice to know another team wants you even if your club rejects the bid. Nothing underhand about it.

The smart move for Motherwell now would be to go to Hearts and say “would you still take him for £100k and put a sell-on in his deal?” That’s the best they’ll get, they’re due £400k but nobody is ever paying that for Chris Cadden. No chance. I’d say £200k would be very steep for him tbh, quite an average midfielder. Neat and tidy at passing but other than that, pretty average. Could be a potential good SPfL level midfielder in a few years but that’s it - imo. Hearts aren’t going to be selling him for £10m that’s for sure, at best he could eventually be a £1m player if he is excellent for Hearts. In which case Motherwell could get that extra dosh in the end via sell-on.

We didn’t start from zero we had quite a few players who played their part in getting us back up. I don’t think we can negotiate with them as they’re due the fee of £400k but I could be wrong. Did you think it was a compliment when Rangers bid £150k for Lee Wallace? Did Hibs when Celtic bid £2m for McGinn? If Rangers bid £1.5m for Souttar this place will be in an uproar. 

Its all a bit academic though as we are not looking at his position anyway and if we were surely we would’ve bid by now?https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17712046.motherwell-have-informed-oxford-united-of-compensation-fee-required-to-land-chris-cadden/

6B16D720-21FB-4E79-945D-B8C15A3FBB0C.png

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, OTT said:

Its not an all or nothing situation, unless Motherwell make it so. I believe we made an offer of somewhere around £150k earlier in the season. That was during the season, its now close season and I think speaking to Motherwell again, in good faith might yield better results. Motherwell aren't unreasonable, they're also not loaded with cash. They are a selling club and when faced with losing an asset for nothing they'll be looking to come to some sort of agreement, perhaps in the way of a sell on clause. 

A lot of us think Souttar is worth north of £5m, but as with all things a player is only worth as much as people are willing to pay. Now, Motherwell can try and risk playing hardball to potentially lose him for nothing, or perhaps offer him a new contract to have an unhappy player because he didn't get the move he wanted. I think its in their interests to come to a deal if we are actually interested. 

Cadden is not worth £400k, otherwise they would have been able to offload him already. £150k is a good offer and I hope if we do still want him, something can be worked out. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17712046.motherwell-have-informed-oxford-united-of-compensation-fee-required-to-land-chris-cadden/ and a 4.5% sell on clause 

6E413D22-4622-4706-B6A6-41DF6BCBC615.png

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

If you know what you’re looking at you will see it, will be hard to replace if the midfielders we’ve signed recently are anything to go by.

Deans Jambo

Unbelievably irony from those criticising his ability and him chasing more money. 

If you believe he's sh*te then you should applaud him in doing everything possible to make money whilst he can!

My opinion is he's no where near as bad as some on here think he is. MoM in several games last season,  tried way more than many others did but could be frustrating at times. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think if they have offered him a new contract then anyone who wants to sign him HAS to pay the £400k compensation fee, I don’t think it’s negotiable if he goes within the UK. When Paterson went to Cardiff they had to pay us the £400k fee, when Holt went to Rangers they only paid £65k as we didn’t offer him a contract and accepted that fee. I could be wrong though.

When Paterson went to Cardiff they paid us nothing didn't they? The way I remember it was that he was 23 so no compensation was due, however he did ask for a sell on fee to be inserted so we'd get something if he moved.

There must be more to it though, I remember that while we had to play a six figure fee to sign Clare, any English club would have had to shell out (IIRC) over 2 million. I don't know if that's because we play to the bare minimum rules set by UEFA/FIFA while English clubs maybe have more expensive rules in place set by the FA/ league. 

Edited by Smithee

cosanostra

Let's hope we know who we want and get him in quickly. 

Spend whatever we pay him and Lee on one higher quality player and let's get going.

8 hours ago, WageThief said:

Wonderful stuff and perhaps a perfect analogy for Djoum.  

Much like drop D tuning, people who know their stuff can hear the difference an EQ makes. 

Most trolls on KB are like Liam Gallagher.  Just the same endless drivel over and over thinking it is original.

But you are more like Noel Gallagher.  For every "shine on" you might just get a snippet of originality.

Naismith is like 12 tone technique.  He makes all the others play even if they aren't as in tune as he is.

Berra is our Mark E Smith.  He doesn't know how to play really but he's still the best at what he does.

Clare is like an old valve amp, he's gonna get better the longer we leave him on.

Souttar is an old valuable valve amp that people thought was awful and now forget and think he's a solid state amp that they always liked.

Uche is like the loudness wars.  Constantly getting his head battered into the red due to poor oversight from officials.

Walker will be our strawberry fields.  Two completely separate takes from different times, tempos and keys spliced into a beautiful whole by the master arranger.

We need to sign a new midfielder who is like Jeff Mills.  Someone who starts fast and ends fast and is consistently brilliant.  We can do without another minimalist like Hawtin.

I fear the time and effort spent on this post will not be justified by the responses.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I fear the time and effort spent on this post will not be justified by the responses.

I really enjoyed myself though.  It's the taking part that counts. :lol:

Just now, WageThief said:

I really enjoyed myself though.  It's the taking part that counts. :lol:

I've stopped doing long posts as most people have me on ignore anyway

:gok:

8 hours ago, ducatiboy said:

No mate you are not, you nailed it on the head perfectly, he's been a great signing and been playing in a rubbish midfield for far too long. He will be very hard to replace, especially with our current track record in the transfer market!

Then why has no one ever come in to sign him? 

The footballing world obviously doesn’t see what the experts on here see. 

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

"He just played in a rubbish midfield" is the best reason for how poor he was overall.

And he did not even stand out much in this 'rubbish midfield' would be my response.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I don’t believe for a minute that we have not been speaking to potential replacements for midfield.

Also, how do we know that the club hadn’t pulled any contract offer? It might just not be something we announced.

Finlay James
3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

This is where I'm at.  I've seen much worse Hearts teams dragged up by better players who take responsibility and the game by the scruff of the neck.  Djoum did this maybe a handful of times and even then I'm being generous.

For 3-4 years, we've lacked leadership in the middle of the park.  Djoum is an international, an AFCON winner but we've not seen this in his displays for Hearts and if he did, then being played slightly out of position wouldn't have made a difference.

IMO his replačement is already at the club in Connor Smith.  He's played in 2 games; one at Easter road and one at Celtic Park.  On both occasions, he showed vision and a bit of drive and I think now is his time.  He's captain for internationally for his age group so he clearly has the respect of his peers.  I think he would be an upgrade on Djoum technically and in his effect on the team as a whole.