Expectations for the upcoming season?

Haringshairband

Jambof3tornado
5 hours ago, kimosavi said:

My expectations 

A top 3/4 finish

You need a decent midfield to create chances for our forward line to score goals and we don't have anyone who can create or dictate a game in there so it'll be hoofball and trying to win games by the goal and and shutting up shop route 

Bottom 6 and Levein gone by January is my prediction 

You also need a decent midfield to control a game and I'm far from convinced ours is anywhere near aberdeens or rangers. That said it could be a massive season for young Harry C to step up and cement his place at the heart of our team for years to come.

Fingers crossed for a less injury ravaged season and a less stubborn manager( edwards being MIA until the very end of the season when we were desperate for legs earlier on!!).

I wanted Levein to move back upstairs but only if we got an outstanding replacement which we havent so I'm back on the CL rollercoaster for the season.(although losing to the arabs will be a horrendous start!)

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mr Elwood P

• Bull's-eye

• Bazzas right boot

Top 4. Anything below that then we’re just accepting the same garbage we’ve had for past 2 seasons. A bit of progression would be nice rather than stagnation.

Not holding my breath however as we’ve largely the same squad and unfortunately we’ve the same backroom staff.

Where I expect us to be and what I think will happen are two very different things.

A club our size should be competing for top 3 nearly every season.

I have no hope we will do so and expect us to finish somewhere between 5th & 8th.

Quality right winger & central midfielder short of having a really strong looking squad.

Current squad is a couple of key players getting injured away from another 6th place finish.

3rd is the lowest Hearts should ever finish. We have the squad, we have the infrastructure etc. Anything below 3rd is unacceptable. 

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

3rd is the lowest Hearts should ever finish. We have the squad, we have the infrastructure etc. Anything below 3rd is unacceptable. 

???

19 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I get that, but historically, since 1983/84, more often than not we are outside the top 4.  Doesn't mean that should be accepted though, and I guess it's a perennial desire.

Consistency would be amazing, and exploiting that infrastructure etc would be great too.

Ironically, looking back at our record, our 200//03 and 2003/04 when we finished third both years was probably our most consistent.

7 minutes ago, Boris said:

I get that, but historically, since 1983/84, more often than not we are outside the top 4.  Doesn't mean that should be accepted though, and I guess it's a perennial desire.

Consistency would be amazing, and exploiting that infrastructure etc would be great too.

Ironically, looking back at our record, our 200//03 and 2003/04 when we finished third both years was probably our most consistent.

Consistency is the key to separating us from the rest and building a solid foundation to challenge the old firm. Aberdeen done it, all be it they benefited from Rangers, Hibs and us not being in the league. We have a great structure at the club and the expectation should always be to finish at worst 3rd. Just my opinion of course. 

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

Consistency is the key to separating us from the rest and building a solid foundation to challenge the old firm. Aberdeen done it, all be it they benefited from Rangers, Hibs and us not being in the league. We have a great structure at the club and the expectation should always be to finish at worst 3rd. Just my opinion of course. 

One that, if looking at income, infrastructure etc, I would agree with!

However, unfortunately, it doesn't always work out like that.

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That’s nonsense. An upgrade on Djoum and we would be far stronger than last season. We’ve improved the defence with White / Halkett. We’ve added goals and assists with Walker / Washington. Clare playing centre mid could prove to be a wee spark of genius. We have a young squad both in terms of signings and academy players, which means the current squad also has a large capacity for improvement and growth. 

We have potentially improved our squad but we won't know for sure till games get under way. While Washington is more of a goal scorer than Uche for example, if he is starved of decent possession or chances it won't matter, he simply won't score goals. Walker was good for us but he's been away for two seasons more or less so we don't know what to expect from him.  White hasn't played a competitive game since 2017 so we've no idea whether he can stay fit or play at the standard required.  Halkett looks a good piece of business but how often will he play?? Will he play instead of Berra or Souttar?  Not sure if he will. So yes we've signed 4 new players but three of them might not even start, so on paper we may look stronger in attack and defence but our midfield if anything has gotten weaker with Djoum and Lee not returning. Moving Clare to central midfield may work but it also might not. So unless we get at least one may be two new good quality midfielders in then I can't really see any improvement in our overall league position. 

I would be interested to see what team and formation you think we'll play with our current squad though. I personally cannot see Levein picking a team with Washington, Uche, Naismith and Walker all starting at the same time.

Edited by dougal

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That’s nonsense. An upgrade on Djoum and we would be far stronger than last season. We’ve improved the defence with White / Halkett. We’ve added goals and assists with Walker / Washington. Clare playing centre mid could prove to be a wee spark of genius. We have a young squad both in terms of signings and academy players, which means the current squad also has a large capacity for improvement and 

Edited by dougal
Double post

17 minutes ago, Boris said:

One that, if looking at income, infrastructure etc, I would agree with!

However, unfortunately, it doesn't always work out like that.

Yeah I know that there will be seasons where circumstances etc would mean we wouldn’t be top 3, that shouldn’t mean we drop the bar tho. We are now saying we are club that is “challenging for top 4”. That’s mad for me. 

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, dougal said:

We have potentially improved our squad but we won't know for sure till games get under way. While Washington is more of a goal scorer than Uche for example, if he is starved of decent possession or chances it won't matter, he simply won't score goals. Walker was good for us but he's been away for two seasons more or less so we don't know what to expect from him.  White hasn't played a competitive game since 2017 so we've no idea whether he can stay fit or play at the standard required.  Halkett looks a good piece of business but how often will he play?? Will he play instead of Here a or Souttar?  Not sure if he will. So yes we've signed 4 new players but three of them might not even start, so on paper we may look stronger in attack and defence but our midfield if anything has gotten weaker with Djoum and Lee not returning. Moving Clare to central midfield may work but it also might not. So unless we get at least one may be two new good quality midfielders in then I can't really see any improvement in our overall league position. 

I would be interested to see what team and formation you think we'll play with our current squad though. I personally cannot see Levein picking a team with Washington, Uche, Naismith and Walker all starting at the same time.

I posted three formations in another thread over the weekend. You’ll be able to go back and have a look. Personally a 4-2-3-1 seems to best fit the personnel we have at the club currently. In that formation Uche would be the 1. The 3 would be Walker / Naismith / Washington. Clare or Mulraney could play In the 3 if required.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I posted three formations in another thread over the weekend. You’ll be able to go back and have a look. Personally a 4-2-3-1 seems to best fit the personnel we have at the club currently. In that formation Uche would be the 1. The 3 would be Walker / Naismith / Washington. Clare or Mulraney could play In the 3 if required.

Only problem with that is according to a couple of guys who I work with who are Peterborough fans, they both said Washington needs to be playing on the shoulder of the last defender and not in a wide position as he's nowhere near as effective. So maybe Uche makes way for Washington in some scenarios. Could work I suppose. Would still like at least 1 new centre midfielder that can control and influence a game.

Mr Elwood P
21 minutes ago, dougal said:

Only problem with that is according to a couple of guys who I work with who are Peterborough fans, they both said Washington needs to be playing on the shoulder of the last defender and not in a wide position as he's nowhere near as effective. So maybe Uche makes way for Washington in some scenarios. Could work I suppose. Would still like at least 1 new centre midfielder that can control and influence a game.

Uche’s that broad that the everyman in the 3 will be playing off his shoulder!

The Mercer Takeover

Top 4 and above Hibs is the absolute minimum I expect, with any cup run a bonus. I also expect Budge to remove from post anyone who is incapable of meeting these requirements.

So how will this season pan out:

Pitch forks will be out for Levein by middle of August and Budge will have no choice but to sack him due to the storm of protest.

Walker will be injured in August and out for the season.

Naismith will be injured by September.

League cup - We will be out by September as Budge will have taken too long to find a new experienced manager.

Under a completely new management team we will then finish:

League - 4th.

Scottish cup  - Winners

Really wish Levein was nowhere near our football club as this is not going to end well.

sadly not a great deal. we were truly awful in the 2nd half of last season (yes I know we got to a cup final). we lost approx. our final 10 games of last season. results that Levein always seemed to find excuses for. Not sure we have strengthened sufficiently. Once again I think we will struggle without Naismith. Mid table finish but that being the case Levein wont see out the season

Blackford Hearts

My expectations. Wall to wall Sevco news about nothing. Is this BBC or RBC? 

77F0D274-0347-4A11-9FCD-610CF8AB3BC7.jpeg

E49256E1-7BA5-44DB-BA7B-181C48F27324.jpeg

Edited by Blackford Hearts
Typo

8 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

sadly not a great deal. we were truly awful in the 2nd half of last season (yes I know we got to a cup final). we lost approx. our final 10 games of last season. results that Levein always seemed to find excuses for. Not sure we have strengthened sufficiently. Once again I think we will struggle without Naismith. Mid table finish but that being the case Levein wont see out the season

Naismith not signing?

Just now, i8hibsh said:

Naismith not signing?

probably but in all honesty I meant if he wasn't in the team period (injured/suspended). The percentage win without him last season was abysmal

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

Apart from the ones in the final ten games that we didn’t lose...

frankblack
4 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That’s nonsense. An upgrade on Djoum and we would be far stronger than last season. We’ve improved the defence with White / Halkett. We’ve added goals and assists with Walker / Washington. Clare playing centre mid could prove to be a wee spark of genius. We have a young squad both in terms of signings and academy players, which means the current squad also has a large capacity for improvement and growth. 

Think midfield looks a couple short with another wide player too.

We need players to create chances and unlock defences.   Our goals for column last year was extremely poor.

Psychedelicropcircle

I’m hoping for a siege mentality that consists of the ole “if we don’t concede we don’t loose” with some square balls across the midfield before passing back to capi-tan for a Berra blooter to some heedless chicken up front who’ couldn’t score in a brothel. 

That should see us unbeaten never conceded all season or scored at the summit of the bottom 6 wi Craigy giving it were unbeatable job done  

41 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

probably but in all honesty I meant if he wasn't in the team period (injured/suspended). The percentage win without him last season was abysmal

The thought of him being 'ours' is pretty much the only ray of sunshine to me.

Mr Elwood P
31 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Think midfield looks a couple short with another wide player too.

We need players to create chances and unlock defences.   Our goals for column last year was extremely poor.

Washington, Walker and even Halkett add goals to the team. I think we’ll see a lot more of the academy players this season as well!

Paul Shark
6 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

I’m hoping for a siege mentality that consists of the ole “if we don’t concede we don’t loose” with some square balls across the midfield before passing back to capi-tan for a Berra blooter to some heedless chicken up front who’ couldn’t score in a brothel. 

That should see us unbeaten never conceded all season or scored at the summit of the bottom 6 wi Craigy giving it were unbeatable job done  

First part realistic and achievable 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Naismith not signing?

I agree we will be lucky to finish 6th again as once again the midfield is not strong enough so it looks like we will be humping it up the park again missing out the midfield back to Leivens favourite tactic .

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

The thought of him being 'ours' is pretty much the only ray of sunshine to me.

Agreed. He's different class to the rest

frankblack
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Washington, Walker and even Halkett add goals to the team. I think we’ll see a lot more of the academy players this season as well!

Halkett is a centre half so might get a few at set pieces but will hardly be prolific.

Washington and Walker would need service from midfielders we don't appear to have.  Throw in a few injuries like we seem to get and we will struggle.

I still think we are 3 or 4 players short to have any major expectations.

Edited by frankblack

Guest ToqueJambo

Top 3/4, another cup run, dominate the derbies, same expectations as every season. Also hopes for the once in a while challenge for 2nd and a cup final.

I do think Aberdeen and Hibs are in a bit of flux, so this is a good time to strengthen the squad as much as we can, ideally with another winger and midfielder. Our squad compares well enough with both of them in all departments apart from midfield, and we have a manager who can go toe to toe with both of them, but the big unknown for us is whether Cochrane and/or Irving are ready to fill those gaps. If we can not have so many injuries and stop dripping silly points against the smaller teams we could have a great season.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Yeah I know that there will be seasons where circumstances etc would mean we wouldn’t be top 3, that shouldn’t mean we drop the bar tho. We are now saying we are club that is “challenging for top 4”. That’s mad for me. 

It's not mad when you remember how consistent and stable Aberdeen have been and how much larger their playing budget is than ours. We always aim to challenge for Europe though every season, which is top 3 these days. 

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Halkett is a centre half so might get a few at set pieces but will hardly be prolific.

Washington and Walker would need service from midfielders we don't appear to have.  Throw in a few injuries like we seem to get and we will struggle.

Walker tended to create goals for himself when on form.

On 07/07/2019 at 15:18, Haringshairband said:

Not sure if there is a thread on this (if so please feel free to delete).

I am hoping for a top four finish and a cup run, beating teams closer to us in the league after the split. More importantly i want to see improvements in our style of football. I'd also like some of our younger players like Cochrane to show signs of improvement. I think these are achievable goals.

Third 

5 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We need to finish in the top 4, it’s that simple. Anything less will be a failure.

With the players we have and budget if we don’t finish fourth he most definitely needs to go 

My hope is we try and play football stop hoofing it 

Mr Elwood P
45 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You don’t need players to get 20 goals though. If Halkett can get 5, Walker 10 and Washington 10 that is probably enough to be competitive in the race for a Europa League spot. Walker doesn’t always require service. He has the ability to score goals from nothing, similar to Lafferty and Rudi in that regard. 

I know a lot of people are saying top 3 which I completely agree with as an expectation but with the current squad I can’t see that happening. Missing some strength in depth and still a lack of quality in key areas. There is the making of a half decent team but still big work to do IMO.

23 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Third and an improvement in the style of play.

Is that an expectation or a wish???

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Top 3/4, another cup run, dominate the derbies, same expectations as every season. Also hopes for the once in a while challenge for 2nd and a cup final.

I do think Aberdeen and Hibs are in a bit of flux, so this is a good time to strengthen the squad as much as we can, ideally with another winger and midfielder. Our squad compares well enough with both of them in all departments apart from midfield, and we have a manager who can go toe to toe with both of them, but the big unknown for us is whether Cochrane and/or Irving are ready to fill those gaps. If we can not have so many injuries and stop dripping silly points against the smaller teams we could have a great season.

Why do you think Aberdeen and Hibs are “in a bit of a flux”??

Guest ToqueJambo
24 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Why do you think Aberdeen and Hibs are “in a bit of a flux”??

Aberdeen have lost some key players again, including their most important in Shinnie, and Hibs are obviously rebuilding with a new manager and a huge turnover of players from last season.

Guest ToqueJambo
57 minutes ago, Mort said:

I know a lot of people are saying top 3 which I completely agree with as an expectation but with the current squad I can’t see that happening. Missing some strength in depth and still a lack of quality in key areas. There is the making of a half decent team but still big work to do IMO.

Our first team squad as it is right now, without the crazy injuries of last season, should be able to compete for 3rd with Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie. I don't see those teams as having better players than us throughout the side. They'll be looking at Naismith, Uche, Haring, Berra, Souttar, Halkett and Walker and saying we have a fair bit of proven quality throughout the side. 

We tend to focus on players like Wighton and other squad players as not being good enough, but who have Hibs and Aberdeen got in reserve if they lose 2 to 4 key players?

Hectormasson
11 hours ago, E3OBE said:

Quality right winger & central midfielder short of having a really strong looking squad.

Current squad is a couple of key players getting injured away from another 6th place finish.

Couldn't have been better put.???

Hectormasson
On 07/07/2019 at 21:29, gnasher75 said:

It's hard to know at this stage when we don't know what our squad will be. I like the recruitment so far and would expect we will bring in at least one more quality midfielder assuming Djoum and Lee move on. Holding on to Souttar would be a big plus. I still want another proven goalscorer.

The advantage we have over our rivals is that they have European games to play...  and hopefully for as long as possible.

I expect us to safely negotiate the League Cup group stage. I would love to see us win that trophy!

Celtic under Lennon don't seem as invincible as they were especially if they lose players... and I still don't think Rangers are that great and will struggle to replace Morelos if he goes. Aberdeen seem to have strengthened. Killie are surely going to go backwards without Clarke and hopefully Hibs too.

So with a bit of luck and another couple of additions to our squad, I'd hope to see us challenging Aberdeen and Rangers for second. 

Hope we do something against the rangers " that's seven straight pumpings weve had from them,cant ever remember it being as bad as that ever f......g woeful !!!!