• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• rick witter

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

That’s utter pish mate. 

Berra, McLean, Bobby, Doyle, Edwards, Cochrane, Clare, Wighton , Dikamona were all there. I take it they are no longer part of the first team squad? 

Its not far away from being half of it. 

So not far off half the first team played half a game each, that's less than a quarter is it not?

1 hour ago, loveofthegame said:

Wow. This thread is special.

I was very anti-Levein last season, I said countless times in posts that I was sick of the pish performances and ultimately the results. I won't repeat that stuff ad nauseam here. But **** me, today was the first match of pre-season with two entirely different, mish-mash teams who played 45 mins each. The result, and performance, mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

You'd have to be an absolute balloon to get worked up about today, when you throw in all the circumstances.

Now IF we go out and perform poorly and don't beat Utd next Friday, the pantwetting can start. But until then, give it a rest FFS.

I do get the majority of your post and I agree in the most part about the result not mattering too much. 

But see if it means absolutely nothing and has absolutely zero purpose or bearing, what is the point in these games then? If its for "fitness" I can think of a fair few things that are better for fitness than a 45 minute run around where no Hearts player touched the ball more than a handful of times.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

I do get the majority of your post and I agree in the most part about the result not mattering too much. 

But see if it means absolutely nothing and has absolutely zero purpose or bearing, what is the point in these games then? If its for "fitness" I can think of a fair few things that are better for fitness than a 45 minute run around where no Hearts player touched the ball more than a handful of times.

Exactly - like I said, a pointless exercise

Might not have been the intention when this match was arranged but it doesn't seem to have turned out too well and can't see much value in it.

2 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

:rofl:

You just don’t care do you. You have no respect for anyone including Hearts. Have you any standards you live by. 

I feel sorry for so called fans like yourself who just don’t care about playing for the shirt.

4 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You just don’t care do you. You have no respect for anyone including Hearts. Have you any standards you live by. 

I feel sorry for so called fans like yourself who just don’t care about playing for the shirt.

It's true Mitch.

I don't care.

I'm a Shite fan who doesn't go beyond the ridiculous to support the shirt wearers, you win...???

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Exactly - like I said, a pointless exercise

Might not have been the intention when this match was arranged but it doesn't seem to have turned out too well and can't see much value in it.

And when people say it’s all about fitness I know it’s a cop-out. Coaching a team, any team, to go into a game 

is all about knowing how to get the best out of your players for the benefit of the game. Arbroath has been a complete

waste of time for players and travelling fans. I expect better.

2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Clare was decent in midfield. We had no threat upfront. MaClean spent most of the first half with his back to goal. Euan Henderson wasn’t at the races today and i can see him and Lewis Moore going back out on loan. Harry did well, likewise MacDonald. Zanatta started off slowly then got involved a bit. Berra needs to work on distribution and with a bit of tempo injected. Dikamona looked clumsy at times but it’s was a friendly. Maybe not as meaningless as I’d like to believe but a friendly nonetheless. We were very slow at times but it was a game for experimenting and trying different things out/combinations etc that didn’t really work. We had one or two chances but Arbroath were worthy of a 2-0 win. I’m sure CL has plenty food for thought and by the time Utd appear on the 12th I’m sure he’ll know our strongest 11. SJ

Cheers SJ, appreciate a balanced view from someone who was actually at the game. Glad to hear Clare and Cochrane played well - after their injuries last season, think a good pre-season will really help them. 

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

And when people say it’s all about fitness I know it’s a cop-out. Coaching a team, any team, to go into a game 

is all about knowing how to get the best out of your players for the benefit of the game. Arbroath has been a complete

waste of time for players and travelling fans. I expect better.

Aye the old fitness gag !

Guess Arbroath won the fitness exercise as well 

All the way up to Arbroath for a kick about and done like kippers 

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The biggest concern has to be the lack of impact Washington, Walker, Naismith, Uche, Mulraney and Morrison had on the game today. 

Where are the goals going to come from. 

Scary.

4 hours ago, McCrae said:

Sorry,  this is just a clueless post.  The result is meaningless.  Today was all about giving young players a run out and seeing  what level they are at.

Like I give a flying ****  what you think . 

Its a shit result under any circumstances like any defeat is to a lower league side . 

But there are mitigating circumstances, first game of the new season and a friendly , still a shit result all the same . 

This wasn't just youngsters out there , we should have had enough to get the ball rolling , not in anyway encouraging for the new season but its early doors. Please do me a favour and put me on ignore. 

59 minutes ago, graygo said:

So not far off half the first team played half a game each, that's less than a quarter is it not?

Doyle, McLean, Cochrane, Dikamona aren’t first choice by any means- neither is Edwards

So basically we played 3 regular starters out of over 22. Bobby, Berra and Clare.

whilst I think the criticism on here is generally utter bullshit, making up complete lies to fit the agenda just make people into twats.

Whether it is a friendly or not, we should be winning the game. Brian Clough always played his strongest team in every game because he wanted to win every game, build a winning mentality and because people wanted to watch his team's not a second version of his team's. So friendly or not i think we should not be following his example and be playing to win.

2 minutes ago, cocomac said:

Whether it is a friendly or not, we should be winning the game. Brian Clough always played his strongest team in every game because he wanted to win every game, build a winning mentality and because people wanted to watch his team's not a second version of his team's. So friendly or not i think we should not be following his example and be playing to win.

That was ****ing over 40 years ago FFS

Maroon Sailor

Hearts: Zlamal (Doyle 45’), Sandison (Logan 24’, Brandon 62’), Hickey (Watson 45’), Hamilton (Dikamona 45’), Berra © (Petkov 45’), Moore (McDonald 45’), Edwards (Bozanic 45’), Cochrane (Burns 45’), MacLean (Wighton 45’), Smith (Henderson 45’, Schiavone 82’), Zanatta (Clare 45’).

6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

A lot of people not grasping what pre-season friendlies are.

Including that lot up there

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Hearts: Zlamal (Doyle 45’), Sandison (Logan 24’, Brandon 62’), Hickey (Watson 45’), Hamilton (Dikamona 45’), Berra © (Petkov 45’), Moore (McDonald 45’), Edwards (Bozanic 45’), Cochrane (Burns 45’), MacLean (Wighton 45’), Smith (Henderson 45’, Schiavone 82’), Zanatta (Clare 45’).

No, I expect they know exactly what pre-season friendlies are. 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

No, I expect they know exactly what pre-season friendlies are. 

What ? Stroll about for 45 minutes ?

At least 18 of them have played in the 1st team. How many would you put on the team sheet ?

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

At least 18 of them have played in the 1st team. How many would you put on the team sheet ?

These games are about building match sharpness. You play them around pre-season fitness work to look at the squad and try different lineups. The score doesn’t matter a jot. The idea is to build fitness and sharpness game after game, until you play a competitive match. It’s always been this way.

46 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Doyle, McLean, Cochrane, Dikamona aren’t first choice by any means- neither is Edwards

So basically we played 3 regular starters out of over 22. Bobby, Berra and Clare.

whilst I think the criticism on here is generally utter bullshit, making up complete lies to fit the agenda just make people into twats.

Not sure if you have misunderstood my post, I agree with you. I just repeated the poster I quoted who used the term "almost half a first team squad"

It's utter bollocks.

22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can I ask how many you would have playing in our preferred eleven?

I think there would be 2 maybe 3 at a push.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Can I ask how many you would have playing in our preferred eleven?

I think there would be 2 maybe 3 at a push.

That's the concern 

Most of them have had a chance in the 1st team and only Berra will be a regular starter. Not including Bobby as Doyle somehow makes him look good.

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's the concern 

Most of them have had a chance in the 1st team and only Berra will be a regular starter. Not including Bobby as Doyle somehow makes him look good.

Berra, Bobby and Clare from that game. 

Glad we agree that most of our first team were not involved.

Not sure why that should be a concern though.

1 hour ago, dustybin said:

Let's be honest, whether it's a friendly or not, Levein is the problem. 

Correct. Same old shut. No pace no drive. Just staying compact staying in possession hoping something will happen. Only Clare and Macdonald tried to force things in the 2nd half. Utter sheeite to be honest. 

Edited by hisnameis

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Berra, Bobby and Clare from that game. 

Glad we agree that most of our first team were not involved.

Not sure why that should be a concern though.

I've never argued the fact about the first team being involved today. It's a concern because our first team is mediocre and not many of those at Arbroath look likely to improve that.

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've never argued the fact about the first team being involved today. It's a concern because our first team is mediocre and not many of those at Arbroath look likely to improve that.

58 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Apologies then, I misunderstood the above posts.

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

So the players you’ve named will never be good enough to play in the SPL. That’s exactly what you are saying.

And if we get injuries and suspensions the excuse will be these players aren’t first choice god help us this 

season if your right.

I get it's only a friendly, but Arbroath managed a couple of goals, Arfeckickingbroath! C'mon tae feck, pre season or not , get the finger oot.

Jambof3tornado
14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I get it's only a friendly, but Arbroath managed a couple of goals, Arfeckickingbroath! C'mon tae feck, pre season or not , get the finger oot.

Championship side playing their 1st eleven beats Hearts youths with a few senior players getting some game time.

pettigrewsstylist
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Haha. Post of the thread so far. Im away to clean coffee off the wall ????

Bazzas right boot

Can't take some of these posts seriously. 

Folk need to get a ****ing grip. 

Hopefully most are at it, but if serious then following football is not for them. 

7 hours ago, ramrod said:

Like I give a flying ****  what you think . 

Its a shit result under any circumstances like any defeat is to a lower league side . 

But there are mitigating circumstances, first game of the new season and a friendly , still a shit result all the same . 

This wasn't just youngsters out there , we should have had enough to get the ball rolling , not in anyway encouraging for the new season but its early doors. Please do me a favour and put me on ignore. 

You are just highlighting it even more that you have no clue about football and the point of this game.  Win, lose or draw...it doesn’t matter.

GorgieFifeLife
48 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Championship side playing their 1st eleven beats Hearts youths with a few senior players getting some game time.

Arbroath will likely be Championship whipping boys.

Graeme Russell

Attended the game yesterday in fine warm conditions although it did get cooler into the second half.

Good to see 2 different Hearts teams on show with a few old heads a good smattering of youth in the teams.

The result was not what I wanted to see but Arbroath are no mugs. They wanted to win this one no doubt about it.

Mclean showed some good touches and can create space and was unlucky with a chip that hit the bar first half.

First time I have seen Hickey and hard to believe he is just 16. What a prospect he is. Zanatta started quietly but got more

involved after instruction from the bench. 2nd half I liked the look of Petkov, Burns, Dikamona and Clare looked hungry and eager

to be involved.  A good workout at the end of the day, but the teams playing when the real action starts will be totally different.

8 hours ago, Zico said:

Cheers SJ, appreciate a balanced view from someone who was actually at the game. Glad to hear Clare and Cochrane played well - after their injuries last season, think a good pre-season will really help them. 

I did mention Petkov earlier but believe me the boy is a baller. Total composure with the ball at his feet, doesn’t panic under pressure  and played some lovely passes out of trouble. He’ll be in and around the fringes of the first team squad this year. Also meant to say kudos to Ryan Edwards. He had a decent game and linked up well with Harry. I’m still not sure he’s the answer we’re looking for but would be a good squad player. He grows in confidence anyway and gave his all. Harry is composed and quick footed but still knocked around a bit to easy. When the going got tough, his defensive back pass is his comfort blanket. Would like to see more attacking play from him but Arbroath are a big physical team. Harry needs to spend some additional time in the gym and would benefit with a bit more muscle on him. 

I know people aren’t fussy about losing Djoum but he’s going to be a massive loss for us and midfield is where we need to strengthen. I’m happy with our defence and our forward line so far but our midfield is still weak. One or two top notch midfield signings and then we can lay down a serious challenge

Jambof3tornado
27 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Arbroath will likely be Championship whipping boys.

Aye but they still had most of their 1st(and only) 11 out on the pitch. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

As I mentioned earlier,  this thread should be bookmarked. 

I'm not sure Levein was even there. Saw Fox and McPhee mostly. 

Anyone who has ever done a pre season knows that its simply getting on the pitch and getting rid of rust, regaining touch. Giving everyone a game. Including players probably not ready for reserve football. It's simply prep. Probably shouldn't let people in or even record the results to be honest.  Because the results are irrelevant 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Aye but they still had most of their 1st(and only) 11 out on the pitch. 

Physically they were far too strong for the teenagers. Ability would shine through in time or in other circumstances 

rick witter
15 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

As I mentioned earlier,  this thread should be bookmarked. 

I'm not sure Levein was even there. Saw Fox and McPhee mostly. 

Anyone who has ever done a pre season knows that its simply getting on the pitch and getting rid of rust, regaining touch. Giving everyone a game. Including players probably not ready for reserve football. It's simply prep. Probably shouldn't let people in or even record the results to be honest.  Because the results are irrelevant 

He was there. Saw the highlights if you can call them that on Sky last night and Levein  walking over at the end laughing away. 

I hope he is laughing after a win against Dundee Utd and not another embarrassing result. 

7 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

St Johnstone got beat 2 nil by Edinburgh City if that helps anyone get over our result. 

To be honest,  if you have to "get over" our result yesterday I'd say you lack perspective on the point of preseason games such as this one. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
23 minutes ago, pablo said:

To be honest,  if you have to "get over" our result yesterday I'd say you lack perspective on the point of preseason games such as this one. 

Absolutely. The only place this game will ever be remembered is as a little footnote on London Hearts. It's as immaterial as that Petrofac nonsense in the relegation season.

Jambo, Goodbye
8 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

These games are about building match sharpness. You play them around pre-season fitness work to look at the squad and try different lineups. The score doesn’t matter a jot. The idea is to build fitness and sharpness game after game, until you play a competitive match. It’s always been this way.

:spoton:

Additionally,  data collection and further fitness assessments can be carried out. 

People raging over the result :rofl:

Selkirkhmfc1874
28 minutes ago, pablo said:

Here here 

35 minutes ago, rick witter said:

He was there. Saw the highlights if you can call them that on Sky last night and Levein  walking over at the end laughing away. 

I hope he is laughing after a win against Dundee Utd and not another embarrassing result. 

Laughing during our first preseason friendly? THE NERVE!

This was a massive game. Where were the heroes?