Naismith - aims for return against Rangers ( updated )

Bauld

150k on the table I would expect Naismith to be careful not to do anything that the Norwich Lawyers could use against him.

Training with the club to keep his fitness up is one thing. But going on a preseason tour and playing matches could be argued that he signed.  

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Inch Hearts

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

It should have been ten
11 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

150k on the table I would expect Naismith to be careful not to do anything that the Norwich Lawyers could use against him.

Training with the club to keep his fitness up is one thing. But going on a preseason tour and playing matches could be argued that he signed.  

This 

Restonbabe
3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We should sign him as an amateur for a month.

Now that is a shout. 

Hectormasson
22 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

Very sensible,and the fact we want him raring to go in league cup games ,,no rush,,,

Robbo-Jambo
8 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Just a thought. What if he doesn’t sign? 

Do we have a plan B? 

No, plan A will do. 

He will sign but expect you know that. 

Heartsofgold
29 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

But he's not an amateur and Norwich's lawyers could argue that he's signed for a club during the 13th month period.  It's probably a legal grey area and not worth the potential fight for him.  He's training with us and has indicated that he will be signing.  That's good enough for me.

The White Cockade

If he can’t sign until his Norwich contract runs out we couldn’t sign him as a pro or an amateur surely

Heartsofgold
1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

If he can’t sign until his Norwich contract runs out we couldn’t sign him as a pro or an amateur surely

His contract has already expired.  The issue is with the '13th month' compensation pay out.  This is basically a holdover payment common in English contracts whereby the club will make a final payment 1 month after a contract has expired as long as the player has not signed for another club as a free agent.  It's aimed at players on smaller type contract where by no pay could represent hardship for the player but in Naismiths case it's an extra £150k or thereabouts so not a small amount of cash.

Hearts1975
17 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

But he's not an amateur and Norwich's lawyers could argue that he's signed for a club during the 13th month period.  It's probably a legal grey area and not worth the potential fight for him.  He's training with us and has indicated that he will be signing.  That's good enough for me.

Very much this 

There will be valid reasons and most probably to do with his Norwich Contract and financial recompense due which means that we haven’t announced him signing 

There is no conspiracy theory attached and feeling very comfortable that there is nothing to get upset about here 

Robbo-Jambo

Naismith obviously is right to wait for that kind of money. 

He is not a daft young lad though. His fitness levels will be high and he is the type of player who doesn't necessarily need pre season games. 

After his first injury last season IIRC he was back in the team without any reserve games etc. 

This is all dependent on his last injury being completely cleared up though. 

35 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

He can be an amateur if he wants to be.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

150k means more to him than taking on United, Cowden, Stenny and East Fife eh.

Imagine that. Charlatan. Probably talking to Rangers as we speak

::troll::

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

150k means more to him than taking on United, Cowden, Stenny and East Fife eh.

Imagine that. Charlatan. Probably talking to Rangers as we speak

::troll::

Taking a risk

Might not get back in the team. 

Heartsofgold
20 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He can be an amateur if he wants to be.

Maybe but the argument still stands as to the legal interpretation of his status as a free, unsigned agent.

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

There will not be an official signing until next month, for the reason stated countless times on this thread. 

I'm not buying this financial clause story.  This is a smokescreen, of what I'm not sure.

12 minutes ago, ericb said:

I'm not buying this financial clause story.  This is a smokescreen, of what I'm not sure.

Its not. It’s Naismith looking out for himself and getting the value of his contract.

The only thing that would have changed it was European qualification and losing the final cost us that.

just need to sit back and wait until he is happy to sign. 

Robbo-Jambo
21 minutes ago, ericb said:

It really isn't .

No smokescreens just the pay off clause in his contract.

He will be a Hearts player before the Aberdeen game.

Time to chill about all these theories etc.

Jambof3tornado

Has this type of clause come up before, if so I dont remember it?

Also is it the club that pays it or the league?

Just hope he stays injury free for as long as possible this season. Huge player and leader for us.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, ericb said:

Raymond Reddington will know

Edited by Sir Gio

4 hours ago, DH1986 said:

If the existing deal says £150k provided he doesn't sign for another club it would make no difference?

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, ericb said:

I think the same to be honest.

He's injury prone and we've just brought in Connor Washington. That's the game, ofcourse I'd be happy to be wrong as when fit we all know what he brings

I appreciate that Hearts and indeed Naismith appear relatively calm about this but the longer it goes on the more you start to worry - just a wee bit. A smidgen if you will.

Here's a little note from a Bristol City signing..not too diff't from the position we find ourselves in

"I think that sometimes semantics of contractual situations can be key, in terms of the intricacies of an individual contract and bonuses to be paid and loyalties and players running out of contract and if you announce stuff too early you have to pay the extra wages when the contract actually finishes July 1," explained Johnson on Fixtures Release Day.

Edited by CJGJ

FarmerTweedy
8 hours ago, ericb said:

You're on the wrong club's forum, you ought to be on Flat Earth FC's forum.

3 hours ago, ericb said:

The fact it's on this website doesn't make it 100% true 

Believe what you want. Just trying to give info that's out there.

Big Slim Stylee
12 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Apart from the risk of a serious injury

....and the fact he can’t be arsed ?

StevenNaismith
On 16/06/2019 at 16:45, dazajmbo said:

I'm told the contract is on the desk dated the 2nd July and has already got the signatures required. 

Roll on tomorrow....

portobellojambo1

Is it not the case that if he does sign on with us tomorrow he is giving up the payment due to him for the period from the end of his Norwich City contract, Sunday 30 June until 4 weeks after that date. I know there has been some confusion on here, and I include myself in that arena of being confused. I originally thought he was able to sign on 4 weeks after his loan deal ended but I've since read on here and heard elsewhere that he has to be unattached for a period of 4 weeks from the actual end of his Norwich City contract for the additional 1 month payment to kick in. Would be delighted if he were with us from tomorrow but it does seem to remain a bit unclear at the moment (not that he will join us but when).

I am rather confused! I thought it had been assumed he would sign up on 1st July. He has made all the right noises..but now silence

Thought Police
3 minutes ago, MCJamTart said:

I am rather confused! I thought it had been assumed he would sign up on 1st July. He has made all the right noises..but now silence

He needs to be a free agent throughout July. This has been covered so many times. He can hardly say “I’m waiting to sign for Hearts so I can get one final payout.”

Why would a club contract a player till the end of June.  Season finishes at end of May thought most contracts finished around then.

Jambof3tornado
6 minutes ago, RENE said:

Why would a club contract a player till the end of June.  Season finishes at end of May thought most contracts finished around then.

Remember players can negotiate during contract talks so its not all about what suits the clubs.

1 hour ago, RENE said:

I think most contracts in EFL are to 30 June.  Don't know why.

The guy in my mirror agrees with me that if the £150,000 is in any way a stumbling block, we should pay.

Signing a player of that calibre for that amount makes complete sense to us.

If it's not a stumbling block then no problem.

@dazajmbo stated some weeks ago the contract was complete, sitting on desk ready to sign and dated the 2nd July.

Guess we’ll find out soon if he’s correct.

StevenNaismith
2 hours ago, Whatever said:

@dazajmbo stated some weeks ago the contract was complete, sitting on desk ready to sign and dated the 2nd July.

Guess we’ll find out soon if he’s correct.

Surprisingly, he’s not.

9 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Surprisingly, he’s not.

You're as bad as him.

15 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Here we go again. Let's all jump on the hate daz bandwagon.

If it's any consolation pal , I'm happy with your side of things and always have  been.

49 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

You only pass on what you are told. And things often change for a variety of reasons, and you may not be told about them changing. 

p.s some weather in Ullapool last weekend (well Friday anyway) :coolgleamA:

Edited by SUTOL

Unknown user
1 hour ago, dazajmbo said:

Nah you're fine by me mate, unless you're Craig Levein himself no one could reasonably expect every word you hear to be gospel or every rumoured signing to come off.

You pass on what you're told, I'm glad of it. You've had enough right to tell me you're gen, and enough wrong to convince me you aren't actually Levein himself after all.

Edited by Smithee

33 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

p.s some weather in Ullapool last weekend (well Friday anyway) :coolgleamA:

Heading there later on today, haven't been up for months