Naismith - aims for return against Rangers ( updated )

Bauld

8 minutes ago, Pagey said:

They’d have him hounded our before, probably questioning his choice of footwear to a football match. Or for replacing the half time oranges with fish and bread. Madness I tell u!! 

:lol: 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Inch Hearts

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

3 hours ago, jamboj said:

So was the DOF not responsible for signings and contracts? Is his role at the club not to do that? Did he not provide Connor Sammon and Malaury Martin with three year deals? Was he not also accountable for interviewing and appointing Ian Cathro?

I understand that the manager (Neilson and Cathro) made clear what, and often who, they wanted. But the execution is down to the DoF - and massive mistakes, for example the three above, were made. 

He dealt with the negotiations and the work it took to get players to the club - the vast majority of the decisions as to the player signed were Neilson's or Cathro's - he basically discussed who they wanted, backed their decisions and did what he could to get the players they wanted in - there would be occasions where our scouting network would flag a player up (as in any club) and Neilson or Cathro were asked if they were interested.

Levein was not autocratic in his role as DOF.

42 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

He dealt with the negotiations and the work it took to get players to the club - the vast majority of the decisions as to the player signed were Neilson's or Cathro's - he basically discussed who they wanted, backed their decisions and did what he could to get the players they wanted in - there would be occasions where our scouting network would flag a player up (as in any club) and Neilson or Cathro were asked if they were interested.

He is accountable for the scouting and for the length of the contracts. Yes, there is blame on others, but the Director is ultimately accountable.  

Just now, jamboj said:

He is accountable for the scouting and for the length of the contracts. Yes, there is blame on others, but the Director is ultimately accountable.  

If he chooses the players for the manager to play he is ultimately accountable.

He isn’t if it is the other way around.

5 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Anyway you can go and moan about Levein on other threads until your heart's content. This thread is about Naismith.

50 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

If he chooses the players for the manager to play he is ultimately accountable.

He isn’t if it is the other way around.

That is just not true and doesn't make sense. However, Notts is right, we are both off topic here. 

58 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Anyway you can go and moan about Levein on other threads until your heart's content. This thread is about Naismith.

Exactly.

Why don't these idiots wait until something happens before they start denouncing it.

I am starting to wonder if the board is infested.

25 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Exactly.

Why don't these idiots wait until something happens before they start denouncing it.

I am starting to wonder if the board is infested.

Starting? 

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, Boris said:

Would be interested to hear too.

File under offering an extra £50 a month to Jamie Walker and the nudge nudge relationship between Levein and Ann Budge.

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Can we pin this into every Levein thread?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

"vast majority"

what does that mean?

how would you know? presumably inside info or quoted somewhere - if the latter a link would be good to see if it highlights the decisions which were not neilsons or cathros 

cheers

i wish jj was my dad
Just now, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

"vast majority"

what does that mean?

how would you know? presumably inside info or quoted somewhere - if the latter a link would be good to see if it highlights the decisions which were not neilsons or cathros 

cheers

Levein, Neilson and to a lesser extent Cathro explained how it worked. Robbie's interview with sportsound was pretty comprehensive.

portobellojambo1
10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I think it’s more a case of Naismith having tactical input in how we play. 

I agree with that. From what little is available to discuss it does sound like any new contract will involve him continuing to play for a little while but also being more involved on the coaching side as well. I'd imagine even he, Naismith, will be aware he doesn't have the overall experience to manage the club at the moment. But you would have to be blind and/or stupid to not notice just how much input he has with the other players in the side when he plays. I'm not sure if his injury versus Celtic related to a problem he already had but reports do suggest that the remedial work done on it wasn't successful, which I'm guessing played a big part in him having to drop out and get more work done recently, from which he is presently recovering. Whether than itself deserves any of the comments that he is injury prone is something discussable. But you can see when he is on the park everything is about getting the ball and getting players forward, to hurt the opposition and that is what I want to see. If it doesn't work all the time that in itself is a learning curve for him as well. But what about while he is still playing/coaching, who should hold the overall manager's/head coach position. I do think it has to be someone who is open to new ideas of how the team should line up and play. I have nothing at all personally against Craig Levein, he has to rank as the most gifted player I've seen playing for the club. But I do think he is set in his ways football wise, and we need to move away from those ways and try something different. I haven't a clue if there is someone who would be happy to come in and do the head coach role for 2/3 seasons, but the only way the club will find out is if they ask potential appointments.

My opinion has always been the same, Craig has had his time at Tynecastle but I'd be delighted if it came to a conclusion with him being able to evidence that he had won a trophy. Then is the time to think about the next chapter in the history of HMFC and hope we can come to an acceptable amount of money for him departing the club.

Edited by portobellojambo1

26 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Levein, Neilson and to a lesser extent Cathro explained how it worked. Robbie's interview with sportsound was pretty comprehensive.

Its sad (I’m being polite for once) that Hearts fans would rather believe The Sun and the Daily Record and all the pundits that constantly get stuck into our club ahead of the people that worked in the system

When I say sad I mean pathetic.

59 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

File under offering an extra £50 a month to Jamie Walker and the nudge nudge relationship between Levein and Ann Budge.

Good. Thanks.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
24 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

did they touch on the points jammy raised i.e. that only the vast majority of decisions were there's and that sometimes the "scouting network" :lol: recommended players

ironically neilson just admitted there to being economical/political with the truth while giving his expert opinion on the Ayr v Patrick game

ive always had an inkling to be honest

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
11 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

did they touch on the points jammy raised i.e. that only the vast majority of decisions were there's and that sometimes the "scouting network" :lol: recommended players

ironically neilson just admitted there to being economical/political with the truth while giving his expert opinion on the Ayr v Patrick game

What did Neilson say? Was he hinting at too much interference?

i wish jj was my dad
22 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Robbie said that he, Levein and Cathro were telling lies?

27 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

The opposite actually. He really enjoyed and appreciated the benefits of a DOF

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

That's who the thread is about.

What's the latest news about him?anything to be discussed?

3 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Read the thread. Everyone has derailed it. They moan about Billie Piper pics but happy to derail it with more pish about Levein

5 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Deliberately obtuse?

5 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Injured, hopefully back for the final but not certain ?

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Read the thread. Everyone has derailed it. They moan about Billie Piper pics but happy to derail it with more pish about Levein

:spoton:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
23 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Robbie said that he, Levein and Cathro were telling lies?

wasnt hearts specific mate more general point about saying what's required which may not be the absolute truth

anyway in that other interview did he address jammys points?

:)

Cruyff Turn
38 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I agree with that. From what little is available to discuss it does sound like any new contract will involve him continuing to play for a little while but also being more involved on the coaching side as well. I'd imagine even he, Naismith, will be aware he doesn't have the overall experience to manage the club at the moment. But you would have to be blind and/or stupid to not notice just how much input he has with the other players in the side when he plays. I'm not sure if his injury versus Celtic related to a problem he already had but reports do suggest that the remedial work done on it wasn't successful, which I'm guessing played a big part in him having to drop out and get more work done recently, from which he is presently recovering. Whether than itself deserves any of the comments that he is injury prone is something discussable. But you can see when he is on the park everything is about getting the ball and getting players forward, to hurt the opposition and that is what I want to see. If it doesn't work all the time that in itself is a learning curve for him as well. But what about while he is still playing/coaching, who should hold the overall manager's/head coach position. I do think it has to be someone who is open to new ideas of how the team should line up and play. I have nothing at all personally against Craig Levein, he has to rank as the most gifted player I've seen playing for the club. But I do think he is set in his ways football wise, and we need to move away from those ways and try something different. I haven't a clue if there is someone who would be happy to come in and do the head coach role for 2/3 seasons, but the only way the club will find out is if they ask potential appointments.

My opinion has always been the same, Craig has had his time at Tynecastle but I'd be delighted if it came to a conclusion with him being able to evidence that he had won a trophy. Then is the time to think about the next chapter in the history of HMFC and hope we can come to an acceptable amount of money for him departing the club.

Naismith isn’t going to have influence over team selection, shape, defensive structure or, anything like that.  

But i’d imagine he will be influencing how we play, how we transition the ball from midfield and into attacking positions etc.. maybe teaching others where they should be doing and what runs to make etc... Possibly like Johan Cruyff did in his time. 

I think that that would be a good thing. He’s got that experience and will be pretty tactically aware from the level he has played at.

He’s still got a few years in him on the pitch yet though. He’d be a massive signing for us to have him for the rest of his career and then maybe he will be our future manager. 

I don’t know what is going to happen with CL but maybe the coaches will be incharge fully next year with CL just being there to oversee. Maybe delegating everything to the coaches. It might not be a bad thing. We’ll see what happens but I don’t think things will be as is the case at the moment.

i wish jj was my dad
7 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

wasnt hearts specific mate more general point about saying what's required which may not be the absolute truth

anyway in that other interview did he address jammys points?

Not going to go hunting it out but do remembet Robbie completely debunking the shite Mikey Stewart & co were coming out with and said he chose who came in and DoF was to try and make it happen. Said he wished he had DoF at MK Dons.

Bazzas right boot
51 minutes ago, sadj said:

Who moaned about Billy Piper pics?

Arseholes. 

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Arseholes. 

We did!

Why...

Because we want to! 

?

Bazzas right boot
Just now, To Be Frank said:

We did!

Why...

Because we want to! 

?

?

3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Arseholes. 

1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

We did!

Why...

Because we want to! 

?

??‍♂️

10 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

You know that every club in the world will be made aware of players that are available and may be interested in joining that club - so they are not players that the manager will have actively have sought out or though about initially?

So therefore in every club in the world there are players signed where the manager has not initiated the signing of that player as he didn’t go out and try and get at the initial stages?

You do know this don’t you?

Edited by Jammy T

10 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

The complete opposite - felt 100% supported by Levein and couldn’t have done the job without him.

42 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

The complete opposite - felt 100% supported by Levein and couldn’t have done the job without him.

Strange thing to say.

ford donald
10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Naismith isn’t going to have influence over team selection, shape, defensive structure or, anything like that.  

But i’d imagine he will be influencing how we play, how we transition the ball from midfield and into attacking positions etc.. maybe teaching others where they should be doing and what runs to make etc... Possibly like Johan Cruyff did in his time. 

I think that that would be a good thing. He’s got that experience and will be pretty tactically aware from the level he has played at.

He’s still got a few years in him on the pitch yet though. He’d be a massive signing for us to have him for the rest of his career and then maybe he will be our future manager. 

I don’t know what is going to happen with CL but maybe the coaches will be incharge fully next year with CL just being there to oversee. Maybe delegating everything to the coaches. It might not be a bad thing. We’ll see what happens but I don’t think things will be as is the case at the moment.

Naismith will have a influence on team selection next season,If he stays, which I believe he will!

doctor jambo

I’m never convinced the managers play a big role.

List every team in every league by budget, then the same by league position, and the two lists side by side will be almost indistinguishable.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Jammy T said:

You know that every club in the world will be made aware of players that are available and may be interested in joining that club - so they are not players that the manager will have actively have sought out or though about initially?

So therefore in every club in the world there are players signed where the manager has not initiated the signing of that player as he didn’t go out and try and get at the initial stages?

You do know this don’t you?

this coupled with your "vast majority" comment suggests you agree that not all signings were fully down to the coach

so after a bit of adult debate sounds like we agree in principal - a victory for kickback

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Jammy T said:

the comment being referred to was what Robbie said last night at the Ayr Patrick game

ive answered it above but you must have missed it so what he pointed out was that sometimes managers have to say what's required rather than the absolute truth 

26 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

So much for the ‘done deal, he’s signed’. Some on here just write tosh and present as facts. Complete dafties 

Well obviously until it's signed it's not completely a done deal, but do you think Levein would be publicly saying he's hoping to tie it up this week if he thought it wouldn't go ahead?  It's going to happen barring a massive change of direction.

Clerry Jambo
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Well obviously until it's signed it's not completely a done deal, but do you think Levein would be publicly saying he's hoping to tie it up this week if he thought it wouldn't go ahead?  It's going to happen barring a massive change of direction.

I would agree with that 

Governor Tarkin
On 23/04/2019 at 15:55, Pagey said:

They’d have him hounded our before, probably questioning his choice of footwear to a football match. Or for replacing the half time oranges with fish and bread. Madness I tell u!! 

:D

2 hours ago, Baxfee said:

So much for the ‘done deal, he’s signed’. Some on here just write tosh and present as facts. Complete dafties 

Agreeing in principle to sign and the final details of a contract are two different things. 

Was speaking someone at Hearts last night and they were 99% sure Naismith would make the final. He is back running now apparantly and they are hoping to have him back for the last couple of games of the season to give him some game time before the final.

Edited by Lambo85

Having Naismith tied up for next season would be an excellent piece of business. His influence around the club is massive  & would be a signal of intent going into the closing season. Hopefully could persuade higher calibre of players that Hearts are a great club to continue their career.

StevenNaismith
3 hours ago, Baxfee said:

It’s been done for weeks. The lots of wee bits and bobs in a contract that both parties go back and forth on but he agreed weeks and weeks ago to stay.