Naismith - aims for return against Rangers ( updated )

Bauld

Robbo-Jambo
13 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

So Naismith will heap praise on a Levein (IMO), say that things need to improve next season and will probably give broad hints of exactly the type of player we will be bringing in (as I would imagine he will have been briefed by CL on his targets as part of the discusssion for Naismith to stay - ultimately Naismith won’t want to play in a shit team)

Thats my prediction 

Let's hope he doesn't play in a shit team like he did last season. 

You could see the frustration in him at times last year. 

His interview suggests we need at least two players who are experienced and have a bit of quality about them. 

You can't disagree with that tbh and let's hope it's maybe 3 or 4 in that mould. 

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Inch Hearts

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

Robbo-Jambo
3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'm wondering if the negotiation is about Hearts protecting ourselves if he gets another bad injury. 

It has to be a concern for the club if they are handing out a long term deal considering his two spells on the sidelines last season. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Hearts can’t go around announcing signings when they are contracted to other clubs, we need to respect that. 

Em....

Actually we can. It’s called a pre-contract agreement.

Wonder what they need to find middle ground over. Starting to get a bit worried about this. Be gutted if Naismith doesn’t stay for at least another couple of years. The one bit of real quality we have going forward.

Cruyff Turn
27 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Em....

Actually we can. It’s called a pre-contract agreement.

We can sign players, but I think we need the players clubs permission or, the player needs permission from his club for it to be publicly announced.  

Portable Badger

Steven Naismith says it is his intention to sign a permanent deal with Hearts but he has still not penned a contract with the Gorgie club.

The attacker is a free agent after his contract at Norwich City expired at the end of the season.

He has spent the last year and a half on loan at Hearts and was the club's top scorer and player of the year for 2018-19.

Speaking at an event at Hampden Park to officially launch the search for nominees to be inducted into the Scottish Football Hall of Fame, Naismith said: "It's my intention to sign the contract but until it's signed I don't want to say it's inevitable.

"Hearts looks like where I'll be playing my football but these things [contracts] take time. It is what it is."

The 32-year-old scored 14 goals for Hearts last season, including 10 league goals in 19 matches in a campaign that was disrupted by two knee injuries.

CostaJambo

Nothing is final until the contract is signed, no matter how 'inevitable', same in any business. I have even been down to discussing start dates for jobs before only for them to fall through. Not being negative, just stating facts.

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

It has to be a concern for the club if they are handing out a long term deal considering his two spells on the sidelines last season. 

A fully fit Steven Naismith with no bad injuries record would be nowhere near Hearts, sadly the main reason we are able to attract a player of his calibre is down to his poor injury record.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

A fully fit Steven Naismith with no bad injuries record would be nowhere near Hearts, sadly the main reason we are able to attract a player of his calibre is down to his poor injury record.

Could you list his injuries over the last few years?

3 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

I can only recall two injuries in recent years, both of them being last season.

He’s hardly injury prone.

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Could you list his injuries over the last few years?

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Pretty common knowledge he's had two cruciate ligament injuries during his stints at Rangers & Everton.  And more recently two more knee injuries.  I'm not saying we shouldn't be signing him, I would rather have Naismith for half a season for next 3 years than not at all.  Just stating a guy of his talent at age of 32 would still be playing lower end Prem/Championship if he had a flawless injury record and was fully fit. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Pretty common knowledge he's had two cruciate ligament injuries during his stints at Rangers & Everton.  And more recently two more knee injuries.  I'm not saying we shouldn't be signing him, I would rather have Naismith for half a season for next 3 years than not at all.  Just stating a guy of his talent at age of 32 would still be playing lower end Prem/Championship if he had a flawless injury record and was fully fit. 

But yet he has still managed 447 career appearances

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Nothing is final until the contract is signed, no matter how 'inevitable', same in any business. I have even been down to discussing start dates for jobs before only for them to fall through. Not being negative, just stating facts.

Absolutely. 

Robbo-Jambo
18 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

He has had these injuries but don't know if he would still be staying down south now if he had been injury free.

He has made it clear that he wanted back up to Scotland.

He is not a daft guy, he has made enough money to be already set up for life.

Sure his wife has just opened a dental practice in Ayrshire as well.

31 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Don’t entirely agree that it’s solely down to injuries. 

Players have a shelf life at the top or at a higher level. 

You can’t stop human nature. Some players will struggle to maintain the strength and stamina for harder levels in the game no matter how much they train. 

He’s still a very fit guy but his time has come to take a wee step down. He probably knows that more than anyone. 

Really, really hope this deal gets completed. The thought of last season's squad but with Jamie Walker in there rather than Steven Naismith gives me the absolute fear.

There seems to be a couple of ways of interpreting what's going on.

One is that the deal is all but done but won't be signed until Naismith gets his 13th month payment from Norwich. In which case all the talk about contracts taking time is just him being careful to avoid a situation where Norwich can prove that he is taking the piss.

Alternatively the deal still hasn't been agreed because there is a gap between what we can afford and what he wants. And so he is playing hardball, waiting to see if a better offer comes along or if Hearts up their offer.

Or maybe it's a mix of both.

Either way it's not great for Hearts that the SFA have given him a platform to announce that he is effectively still a free agent.

1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

Wonder what they need to find middle ground over. Starting to get a bit worried about this. Be gutted if Naismith doesn’t stay for at least another couple of years. The one bit of real quality we have going forward.

Number of years the contract is.

3 or 4. 

27 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He has had these injuries but don't know if he would still be staying down south now if he had been injury free.

He has made it clear that he wanted back up to Scotland.

He is not a daft guy, he has made enough money to be already set up for life.

Sure his wife has just opened a dental practice in Ayrshire as well.

Yeah I get all of that.  My point is that he is still a quality player but I think if he managed to stay clear of those injuries he would still be playing in the Premier league at the highest level and the wanting a move back to Scotland wouldn't be on the horizon for another couple of seasons.  

It is our gain though how his career has panned out and if all goes to plan with the contract talks we have a great player on our hands at a great age too.

Thought Police

He’s just trying to not make it blatantly obvious that he’s stalling for the Norwich payment. If he said all is well, Norwich would be asking why he hadn’t signed yet.

…..or now that Clarke has left Killie he might want to go back there as player-coach if he's wanted by whoever gets that job.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

****ed his ankle ligaments at Norwich at start of 2017/18 which is partly why he fell out of favour there and ended up at us.

1 hour ago, Thought Police said:

He’s just trying to not make it blatantly obvious that he’s stalling for the Norwich payment. If he said all is well, Norwich would be asking why he hadn’t signed yet.

Nailed it

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, jamie1874 said:

Number of years the contract is.

3 or 4. 

This is the correct answer.

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We can sign players, but I think we need the players clubs permission or, the player needs permission from his club for it to be publicly announced.  

I have to confess......

I’ve never once heard of this being a thing. 

Strange that he's saying that it's not inevitable that he will sign and yet just the other week he said that it was. :unsure: 

will-i-am-a-jambo
36 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

As I understand it hearts have offered 3 years and Naismith wants 4 years 

So common sense would say that we should offer him 3 and half years. I'd be happy with that, Naismith is a quality player.

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

****ed his ankle ligaments at Norwich at start of 2017/18 which is partly why he fell out of favour there and ended up at us.

Ok, thanks Neil.  

Robbo-Jambo
16 minutes ago, graygo said:

Strange that he's saying that it's not inevitable that he will sign and yet just the other week he said that it was. :unsure: 

He is just trying to annoy folk on here.

Like he does with Scott Brown on the pitch. :greggy:

Don't worry he is signing for us and will be fit and ready for the start of the new season. :icon14:

12 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

He is just trying to annoy folk on here.

Like he does with Scott Brown on the pitch. :greggy:

Don't worry he is signing for us and will be fit and ready for the start of the new season. :icon14:

I'm not worried at all chief, pretty confident he has caught the Jambo bug and will sign.

Fairly obvious he will sign but if a better offer comes in he will be off. Key thing is this is his job and like anybody else he will go for the best deal financially.

Robbo-Jambo
3 minutes ago, Prof said:

Fairly obvious he will sign but if a better offer comes in he will be off. Key thing is this is his job and like anybody else he will go for the best deal financially.

No he won't. 

He is going nowhere apart from us. 

Money is not an issue, he has already made his big bucks down South. 

Jamboelite
7 minutes ago, Prof said:

Nope he is financially secure and then some it has little to do with money.

After hearing Steven Naismith just then talking about his club position on STV sports news next season I'm hoping that Hearts don't let us down by letting him slip through the net to another club as the rumour was that Rangers were eyeing up a return for him, and he was saying that he needs to look after himself same as Hearts do. 

All I'm saying is if we as a club are serious about him then we should be trying this contract up fast. 

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

As I understand it hearts have offered 3 years and Naismith wants 4 years 

Personally I'd have no problem offering him 4 years. 

34 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

No he won't. 

He is going nowhere apart from us. 

Money is not an issue, he has already made his big bucks down South. 

Yip. If you look at SN outside football he is one of those guys who has done a lot for the local community wherever he has played. 

Clearly a guy with integrity. He has enjoyed his time at Hearts, he sees us as the ideal club to get in to coaching with when he is finished playing, which isn’t just now. 

It would be a complete shock if someone like Naismith went else where now. It’s just a matter of time before he signs, but that time is absolutely based on him getting the money he is entitled to on the last contract he signed. 

I am am not sure when we are back for pre season, but expect SN there even if not signed. 

29 minutes ago, dustybin said:

After hearing Steven Naismith just then talking about his club position on STV sports news next season I'm hoping that Hearts don't let us down by letting him slip through the net to another club as the rumour was that Rangers were eyeing up a return for him, and he was saying that he needs to look after himself same as Hearts do. 

All I'm saying is if we as a club are serious about him then we should be trying this contract up fast. 

People tend to forget that for Naismith it’s a job and like anybody else he will want to make as much money as he can before retiring. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, jamie1874 said:

Yip. If you look at SN outside football he is one of those guys who has done a lot for the local community wherever he has played. 

Clearly a guy with integrity. He has enjoyed his time at Hearts, he sees us as the ideal club to get in to coaching with when he is finished playing, which isn’t just now. 

It would be a complete shock if someone like Naismith went else where now. It’s just a matter of time before he signs, but that time is absolutely based on him getting the money he is entitled to on the last contract he signed. 

I am am not sure when we are back for pre season, but expect SN there even if not signed. 

Back 21st June 

Robbo-Jambo
2 minutes ago, Prof said:

People tend to forget that for Naismith it’s a job and like anybody else he will want to make as much money as he can before retiring. 

Once again, it is not about the money. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

How do you know? You had him 100% signing on Monday. The 13th month payment seems to be the most plausible reason for the delay and that’s about money.

9 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

For committed Jambos yes but for people looking to their retirement, a firm No.

Jamboelite
Just now, Prof said:

Not sure what you are driving at he is not driven by money he has enough to see him fine for the rest of his life, his motivation lies elsewhere.

Robbo-Jambo
8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How do you know? You had him 100% signing on Monday. The 13th month payment seems to be the most plausible reason for the delay and that’s about money.

Of course he is going to wait for the Norwich money. Its due in 2 or 3 weeks. 

As far as signing with us on a long term deal that's not about money. 

He could get more elsewhere if he wanted. 

If you wouldbe good be enough to flag up the post that I said he would be 100 per cent signing on Monday I would be grateful. 

Really do not remember saying that at all. 

Robbo-Jambo
6 minutes ago, Prof said:

If Naismith was driven by more money he would be going elsewhere, not signing for us.